Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That car chase is amazing and awesome, reckless car chase =/= moral upholding of a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The French Connection's car chase is great, but decades of movies trying to one up it have diluted the impact. I'd imagine audiences in 1971 were blown away by it since it was like nothing they've seen before.

Don't even try to watch an older movie as an immediate comparison to anything current. It's pointless. It's beyond obvious that a 1971 film is going to be different from a 2015 film. If you're watching a movie you've never seen before, regardless of when it was released, it's just as new of a movie to you as something released last week.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Everblight posted:

I was just trying to understand why a bad dumb chase scene had achieved near-mythic status and universal praise when it was :mediocre: at best, especially viewed through the lens of a movie designed to showcase how lovely everyone was. I guess my answer is "retroactive hagiography" so thanks Magic Hate Ball for answering my question.
your expectations were lovely.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Everblight posted:

Exorcist had a similar stupid, abrupt ending so I guess :xcom: only with William Friedkin's face?

Did you watch that cut that ends with those two guys talking about random movies or whatever? Cause otherwise I don't know where you're coming from here at all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Egbert Souse posted:

The French Connection's car chase is great, but decades of movies trying to one up it have diluted the impact. I'd imagine audiences in 1971 were blown away by it since it was like nothing they've seen before.

Don't even try to watch an older movie as an immediate comparison to anything current. It's pointless. It's beyond obvious that a 1971 film is going to be different from a 2015 film. If you're watching a movie you've never seen before, regardless of when it was released, it's just as new of a movie to you as something released last week.

I wanted to say something similar. Any movie you see for the first time is new.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

I feel like these points do work against each other a bit. Of course it's great to approach an older movie as being "new to you," but that can mean being mindful that it's an older movie and other movies have built on what the older one has done. If one were to watch The Matrix for the first time sufficiently far afters its release, they'd want to keep in mind that it wasn't borrowing "bullet time" from Charlie's Angels or whatever.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Are you saying audiences had never seen a chase sequence before? Because ignoring the entirety of the 50s and westerns/stagecoach robberies, there is a chase sequence in the old testament.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Everblight posted:

Are you saying audiences had never seen a chase sequence before? Because ignoring the entirety of the 50s and westerns/stagecoach robberies, there is a chase sequence in the old testament.

I'm pretty sure he meant in terms of a contemporary/urban setting, and based on your examples his point kind of stands.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

One time in I think the Iliad, Hercules chases after Paris in a sweet camaro

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Everblight posted:

Car chases were usually second unit and rear projection for decades. There's Bullitt, but it's mostly on blocked off roads with few pedestrians. Great scene, still. Nothing as visceral or terrifying as Friedkin's film.

I do think the greatest car chase in film is the end of The Blues Brothers, which actively parodies The French Connection's chase.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I have a blind sister that wants me to take her to the movies for her birthday. Is there anything good out right now that she might like? She's 24 and likes any good movie that she can follow/understand.

I've heard that Mad Max has about 3 minutes of dialogue. So I guess that would not be a good choice.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I have a blind sister that wants me to take her to the movies for her birthday. Is there anything good out right now that she might like? She's 24 and likes any good movie that she can follow/understand.

I've heard that Mad Max has about 3 minutes of dialogue. So I guess that would not be a good choice.

I saw that in additional to closed captioning, they also were showing Mad Max at my local theater (a Regal) in something that I am remembering as like a "Describe-surround" where you could get a headset and I guess someone would describe the events on the screen for you? Is that something anyone has tried? How would that even work?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Ex Machina is very dialogue-driven. E: come to think of it, I dunno if that is still in theatres.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Well this is only somewhat related, as it's not a movie in theaters... But the Daredevil series on Netflix, about a blind super-hero, really went all-out on descriptive audio for the visually impaired. So while that might not be something you can do for her birthday, I wanted to make you and her aware that it exists.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Snak posted:

Well this is only somewhat related, as it's not a movie in theaters... But the Daredevil series on Netflix, about a blind super-hero, really went all-out on descriptive audio for the visually impaired. So while that might not be something you can do for her birthday, I wanted to make you and her aware that it exists.

Thanks, of course, any suggestion is appreciated. That's very related. I'll tell her to check it out. I never knew about that.

There's a website with hundreds of audio description movies for free called blindmoviemart. Just about every Quintin Tarantino movie. Indiana Jones. Back to the Future. Jurassic Park. Entire seasons of Simpsons, Breaking Bad, and Game of Thrones. I've shown her them all. I can even put on a movie for her while I'm driving her somewhere.

It's odd that even the blind prefers TV to books. At least in this case. I would never have expected that.

You wouldn't believe how well something like Married with Children works since they go nowhere and there's basically no action. She doesn't even need description for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I haven't seen it, so I'm not positive, but Pitch Perfect 2 has pretty good reviews and I would imagine a comedy about a capella singers wouldn't be too hard to follow, she'll likely miss some slapstick, but that's the only problem I could imagine.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Super Ninja Fish posted:

You wouldn't believe how well something like Married with Children works since they go nowhere and there's basically no action. She doesn't even need description for it.

All those three-camera sitcoms were pretty much just stage plays. I remember putting episodes of Frasier on audiotape and listening to them in the car during my commute to school.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I'm kinda in the opposite camp - I'm deaf and they don't show Mad Max without subtitles. Does it really only have 3 minutes of dialogue? I didn't miss much watching Mad Max 2 without subtitles as a kid but Mad Max 3 had some catchphrases that were lost on me because of that.

Also also I'm jealous that you hearing people can just listen to sitcoms. I always have to pay full attention to the telly. :mad:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zwille posted:

I'm kinda in the opposite camp - I'm deaf and they don't show Mad Max without subtitles. Does it really only have 3 minutes of dialogue? I didn't miss much watching Mad Max 2 without subtitles as a kid but Mad Max 3 had some catchphrases that were lost on me because of that.

Also also I'm jealous that you hearing people can just listen to sitcoms. I always have to pay full attention to the telly. :mad:

If you could follow Road Warrior, you'll have zero problems with Fury Road.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Everblight posted:

...you could get a headset and I guess someone would describe the events on the screen for you? Is that something anyone has tried? How would that even work?

You put on headphones and a narrator details what is happening on the screen. I haven't tried that (no need to) but I have listened to some of those tracks that were on DVDs I rented. The narrator just goes into varying levels of detail at various points when important things or settings are being shown.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Zwille posted:

Well in the case of sitcoms, not much is lost anyway!!!! *knowing look, pause for laughtrack*

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
What's a laugh track

kidding!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

;) :hf: :haw:

But it must be very strange with those pauses. I've watched a couple clips on youtube where the laughs've been been cut out, and it's just so agonizingly slow. How can you stand it without at least the dumb sound of forced laughter dragging away your intention? It's literally just people staring at each other for seconds.

E: To be fair I did enjoy Frasier though I haven't watched it in years.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
What movie is the dialogue "There is violence of course, but not by me or anyone I employee" in the Joe Carnahan Daredevil sizzle reel from?

Sounds like DeNiro, but I can't tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLfXo_gSd3I

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 30, 2015

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 30, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Egbert Souse posted:

I do think the greatest car chase in film is the end of The Blues Brothers, which actively parodies The French Connection's chase.

I don't even like The Blues Brothers but I love that car chase.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Zwille posted:

Yeah you'd be totally fine, maybe use your phone to glance at a Wikipedia plot synopsis if you're lost at any point.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Miller's explicitly said his goal was to make a movie that worked as a silent film, so you should be good.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The only part that I think wouldn't be communicated visually is the bog being what became of The Green Place, but the fact that it's gone would be clear enough. Otherwise, you'd miss some memes like "MEDIOCRE," but the plot, action, and characters should all make sense.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
In Inglorious Bastards, why isn't Stieglitz recognized in the tavern scene?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

socketwrencher posted:

In Inglorious Bastards, why isn't Stieglitz recognized in the tavern scene?

You ask this in spite of the legendary goon faceblindness?

The other people in the tavern may have seen him before, but probs only in newsprint. There's been no film of him, no real life encounter. I doubt I'd recognize some dude who'd been in a passport-sized photo in a newspaper, no matter what he'd done did.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

You ask this in spite of the legendary goon faceblindness?

The other people in the tavern may have seen him before, but probs only in newsprint. There's been no film of him, no real life encounter. I doubt I'd recognize some dude who'd been in a passport-sized photo in a newspaper, no matter what he'd done did.

Sorry- I was thinking of Major Hellstrom, the head of the Gestapo. Seems like he would have more than a passing interest in Stieglitz, but maybe not.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

socketwrencher posted:

Sorry- I was thinking of Major Hellstrom, the head of the Gestapo. Seems like he would have more than a passing interest in Stieglitz, but maybe not.

Ohh ok the standoff dude was just like a lokalvereinsoffizier, not the head. unless i seriously misremember

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Ohh ok the standoff dude was just like a lokalvereinsoffizier, not the head. unless i seriously misremember

It's this guy:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
See also

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah I think that guy was just a local SS guy who called Fassbinders bluff. Also the Offiziersmörder has a playing card stuck on his forehead so he's less recognizable.

Also: Bloody good show, screenshotwise, so to speak.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Ha, awesome. The whole buildup prior to the bullets flying is wondrous.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Yeah I think that guy was just a local SS guy who called Fassbinders bluff. Also the Offiziersmörder has a playing card stuck on his forehead so he's less recognizable.

Also: Bloody good show, screenshotwise, so to speak.

I thought it was the same guy who met with Shoshana and Goebbels:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

socketwrencher posted:

I thought it was the same guy who met with Shoshana and Goebbels:

That is def. the same guy in that pic, lighting the cig. I guess I've misremembered or something.