Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Minrad posted:

Stress for prolonging combat is hosed up and way too high now imo. You failed to hit an almost dead skeleton in round 3 of combat? Enjoy 10 stress on your entire party.
I was just about to write exactly that.

I had to abandon my first Ruins run because two people reached 100 stress, and everyone constantly freaking out over a beaten up skeleton still shambling about played a big part there. Tempting Goblet didn't help either, but seriously, if I'm forced to use a Vestal and a Plague Doctor don't loving expect me to kill everything in two or three turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Minrad posted:

Stress for prolonging combat is hosed up and way too high now imo. You failed to hit an almost dead skeleton in round 3 of combat? Enjoy 10 stress on your entire party.

Yeah, stress is actually a threat now rather than being little more than a nuisance. On the one hand, it's actually making me worry about my guys and fretting slightly, but I can see it becoming more bullshit after this update has had time to sink in.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

No Dungeon or Cove? Bummer :(

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
HOTFIXES Added today (May 28)
Fixed bug that was causing stall penalty stress to happen in wrong situations
Fixed crash and bugs related to trinkets, trinket selling, trinket sorting
Slightly reduced self stress from getting knocked to Death's Door
Fixed Ancestor's Statue crash

Horray!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

There's a weird bug with at least 1 enemy attack that does a knockback and stun effect. The knockback happens first, and then the guy that replaces the person who got hit gets stunned. It definitely happens with the big axe skeleton, unsure if there are other enemies with the appropriate skill to do it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Three man-at-arms and a hellion on wagon. Hellion had breakthrough, all men-at-arms had the buffing campfire skills.

:stare:

They all start bellowing or popping retribution or bolster, and the hellion just breakthroughs for 20 damage every turn. I basically picture three old men charging through the sewers, screaming at the top of their lungs and banging their maces on their shields, while the Hellion just bulldozes enemies with her halberd until they reach the end.

E: Retribution is WAY too drat good. Feels like old bounty hunter; it just has crazy range and is crazy good and a good part is just a bunch of man-of-arms that all have it. e: lmao it triggers on aoe effects so it just one shots war drummers and archers and everything remotely dangerous

Minera fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 29, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

maybe it's just me but I noticed the framerate is slightly slower in town and in-game. nothing tremendously bad but it never was like that before. Colors also seem brighter and nicer but that's maybe just me.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Boy that shambler sure is cool where even if you kill it with 4 party members alive but hurt/stressed, the buffs/debuffs that stack from the minions after only two turns means you do 0 damage to the minions and lose your entire party. Sweet stuff.

Also something is hosed with the man at arms. Whenever he takes a turn/is attacked/etc it takes like 5-6 seconds to register each buff/debuff/etc and it's really obnoxious.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Just encountered the shambler for the first time and I lost pancevolt, the Witch doctor that's been doing pretty okay in my playthrough. Cool.

Is it just me, or are the human enemies in this game more threatening than the disfigured and dead? I just loving lost Dismas in the Weald, gently caress.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
how can a barely mobile skeleton with a stick be more threatening Man With Gun?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Fenarisk posted:

Boy that shambler sure is cool where even if you kill it with 4 party members alive but hurt/stressed, the buffs/debuffs that stack from the minions after only two turns means you do 0 damage to the minions and lose your entire party. Sweet stuff.
Waaaaaait a minute! What? What happened here?

I haven't gotten to play since it dropped at like 2AM here and I had to be up for work at 7AM. What's this about debuffs wiping out your party?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Spitters doing 7 damage on average what the gently caress :stare:

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

The witch and her drat cauldron keeps on loving my party up,and I accidentally over leveled my strongest dudes

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I was going to make fun of the plague doctor's only buff being increased blight resistance, but actually it's fuckin crazy high now and it's pretty sweet being virtually immune to blight. Can be pretty handy in the Weald now. Granted, he still does sweet gently caress all in combat but he's slightly less deadweight I guess?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I choose to believe the ancestor murdered all of his necromancer buddies because he showed off his giant pig monster and they called him an idiot

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Whelp I've killed all forms of the new bosses, and I have to say the cannon is pathetically easy due to its reliance on a really weak minion to actually fire. The hardest is the formless flesh simply due to having a skyhigh protect unless it decides to deploy the healing bits instead of going full tank.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Terrible Opinions posted:

Whelp I've killed all forms of the new bosses, and I have to say the cannon is pathetically easy due to its reliance on a really weak minion to actually fire. The hardest is the formless flesh simply due to having a skyhigh protect unless it decides to deploy the healing bits instead of going full tank.

Anyone have a trip report on the Gibbering Prophet?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

He has a two target stun or hit the entire party with a low damage blight attack. He can also predict the doom of one or two characters at a time this creates a one turn delay before their specific position is hit with masonry bricks, dealing a large amount of damage. His first three slots are filled with broken pews that take no actions of their own, but have a large amount of hp and still take up space. For each pew you destroy before killing the prophet you get a piece of non-stackable loot that is worth 1250 g.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Time_pants posted:

Anyone have a trip report on the Gibbering Prophet?

He's kind of an rear end in a top hat. He starts the battle behind three ranks of pew barricades. At the start of each round, he'll pick two of your party members to have rocks fall on them for a big chunk of damage. At the end of the round, he gets two actions, which in my experience was mostly trying to blight everyone, or debuff+stun one or two people. You don't have to destroy all the barricades, but they're each worth a good chunk of change if you win (1250 or so, at least for the lowest rank prophet).

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Trip report on the cannon:

The cannon is size 1, and starts surrounded by three brigands, two you've seen before, and a new one called a matchman. Kill or stun the matchman every turn, never ever let him do a thing. If he gets a turn, the cannon fires and does 20+ damage to the entire party. This is the weakest cannon.

If there's no matchman at start of turn, the cannon spawns one and a random assortment of brigands. The only saving grace is that the matchman is fragile at 8 hp. The cannon has 50 hp and prot 6, so weak hitters need not apply- but if you have two people that lay down huge hits, it should go down quickly. It's incredibly vulnerable to critical hits just by virtue of the low hp/high DR setup it has.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 29, 2015

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Not sure if I'm late to the party, haven't played this in a while, but the huge update brought me back.

What's the deal with those "special" party formation names? Are they fluff or a buff (or a placeholder for such)?

e.g.:

Plague Doctor - Vestal - Highwayman - Crusader = Red Hook
Vestal - Plague Doctor - Highwayman - Crusader = The Usual Suspects

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Dackel posted:

What's the deal with those "special" party formation names? Are they fluff or a buff (or a placeholder for such)?

Fluff. Just for fun.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So, I'm trying to get back into this after the patch, but I'm having a weird bug. It happened before the patch as well, but it didn't really bug me because I was a bit burned out on the game anyway.

When I get past the intro cutscene and select my file, everything goes normally until I get to the screen that shows the Hamlet, no prompts to click on buildings yet, just a static image, and the game freezes, I get a blue spinning mouse cursor, and a "Darkest.exe is not responding" error. This has happened every time so far, and I couldn't find a fix on the forums. I've verified the game cache, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Anyone know a fix? Or, if not, does the game support Steam Cloud? I'd like to save reinstalling as a last resort unless my save files are safe from being wiped when I do it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the fact that pigvomit can just instantly give you a bad quirk is bullshit and I hate it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I don't go into the Warrens because of it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MinibarMatchman posted:

the fact that pigvomit can just instantly give you a bad quirk is bullshit and I hate it.

A lot of the RNG in this game feels needlessly spiteful because it fucks you in the rear end regardless of your best preparations. There's nothing quite like "HAH 100 TORCH SURPRISE, 3 PIGS VOMITED AND LOADED UP YOUR BEST PARTY WITH AFFLICTIONS OWNED FUCKER!" to make you go "Well, that's cool. :geno:"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The vomit pig's chance to give a bad trait has gone down massively since launch too. Now they're about one in every three hits, previously it was all but guaranteed every time.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Isn't that kind of the point?

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
crit healing is a small change but it makes such a huge difference. Actually feels like you can swing a losing fight now instead of climbing back up a mountain with 3hp party heals

I lost a new group to that cannon boss though. The PROT 6 makes it brutal to try and take down between having to deal with the fuse man and two other high damaging bandits.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Canadian Surf Club posted:

crit healing is a small change but it makes such a huge difference. Actually feels like you can swing a losing fight now instead of climbing back up a mountain with 3hp party heals

I lost a new group to that cannon boss though. The PROT 6 makes it brutal to try and take down between having to deal with the fuse man and two other high damaging bandits.

It's surprisingly brutal if you don't know what you're getting into. A vestal, an arbalest, a bounty hunter, and a man-at-arms would be a really good setup for it I think.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Canadian Surf Club posted:

Yeah it's nice to see more positive RNG!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MinibarMatchman posted:

maybe it's just me but I noticed the framerate is slightly slower in town and in-game. nothing tremendously bad but it never was like that before. Colors also seem brighter and nicer but that's maybe just me.

They mentioned adding z-buffer stuff to the town screen, so that makes it sound like it was kinda 2D before but now they're doing more 3D rendering for lighting or whatever, could be whats causing the difference in performance.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Coolguye posted:

Not easily, they're serialized in some .bank file. Someone would need to write an extractor.

Ack, I'd kill to have my mortality clarified etc as a message tone.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Geokinesis posted:

Ack, I'd kill to have my mortality clarified etc as a message tone.

You could always record it? :shrug:

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FsOJiMZV2A

There's one for every narrator thing.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I like the Arbalest, but I haven't tried all of her abilities yet. Her heal seems... cute. I'm sure it's better at higher levels, but it just seems like an emergency suture before your Vestal's turn. Cool that it heals both the target and herself. Haven't gotten a Man at Arms to show up in town yet.

The Gibbering Prophet wasn't a tough fight for me, but I had a Highway Man with Point Blank, a Hellion with Iron Swan, Arbalest for Suppressing Fire and it's debuff, and a Vestal heal-bot. I didn't know you got extra loot for destroying the pews, I just attacked over them.

Vestal - Highway Man - Crusader - Leper = The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 30, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fenarisk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FsOJiMZV2A

There's one for every narrator thing.

A quick reminder that http://listentoyoutube.com is a thing that exists if you want to roll this.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
I havent played this for a few months and I'm a min-max kind of a guy in these games, is there a good spot to read up on the best group compositions?

It appears they heavily nerfed the hellion's aoe attack since I last played...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
'Best' is rapidly becoming a question of what you're fighting so there's not gonna be an easy answer to that question!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
That said, DPS is still a pretty great answer to most things and the hellion continues to wreck poo poo despite the nerf.