Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

poptart_fairy posted:

IIRC that's how it is in the tabletop game as well. If a werewolf and a vampire get into a fight, the vampire is hosed.

Yep. A half-asleep werewolf can still take down trained military types and old and powerful vampires with ease. The only people that stand a chance are Mages because they can bend reality (but would be hosed if taken by surprise) and a hunter group with a MASSIVE amount of preparation and luck.

The Bloodlines encounter was pretty accurate to the tabletop. "What's that noise? FUCKFUCKFUFKSLJDNBFIDCIUCDIUCIUCDCFUCKFUCKFUCKMAYBEICANUSEMAJESTYAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

poptart_fairy posted:

IIRC that's how it is in the tabletop game as well. If a werewolf and a vampire get into a fight, the vampire is hosed.

Well, they're both pretty wicked OP. Well, it kinda depends upon if we're talking old WOD or nWOD. A werewolf can heal about as fast as a vampire can soak if not faster, and the werewolf can probably put more damage into the vampire than the vampire can do back, yeah. Thing is, you've gotta catch the vampire first. Vampires have all kinds of tricks that werewolves can't really deal with, unless the vampire just went gangrel and focused on like celerity and vigor in which case he's just another werewolf.

Inzombiac posted:

Yep. A half-asleep werewolf can still take down trained military types and old and powerful vampires with ease. The only people that stand a chance are Mages because they can bend reality (but would be hosed if taken by surprise) and a hunter group with a MASSIVE amount of preparation and luck.

The Bloodlines encounter was pretty accurate to the tabletop. "What's that noise? FUCKFUCKFUFKSLJDNBFIDCIUCDIUCIUCDCFUCKFUCKFUCKMAYBEICANUSEMAJESTYAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!"

I dunno dude, elder vampires are pretty insanely powerful. The only thing that really stops elder vampires is their own feeding and torpor rules. Military types would certainly get torn apart like tissue paper, no doubt.

Ultimately though if the vampire used silver he'd win, and if the werewolf used a stake or sunlight he'd win.

And yeah mages beat everybody :) mages rule. But then the mages get beaten by their own paradox.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:41 on May 29, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Trap Sprung

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
In Princess Mononoke, when did Moro's head come detached from her body to bite that one lady's arm off toward the end? Even as a kid, that part always stood out and confused me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kinmik posted:

In Princess Mononoke, when did Moro's head come detached from her body to bite that one lady's arm off toward the end? Even as a kid, that part always stood out and confused me.

It didn't. Don't they shoot her head off?

Then the lady warns "even a headless wolf still has fangs" and the head comes chomping over.

Its right around when she says "I'm going to show you how to kill a god", although they also take off the forest spirit's head so now I'm a little confused.

Now I need to watch that scene...

Edit: You're right, I never noticed that. I guess the idea is that moro dies and the forest spirit's head is cut off, which then releases... the spirit of moro's head to come back for a second? something like that. It is kinda weird yeah.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 18:03 on May 29, 2015

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno dude, elder vampires are pretty insanely powerful. The only thing that really stops elder vampires is their own feeding and torpor rules. Military types would certainly get torn apart like tissue paper, no doubt.

Ultimately though if the vampire used silver he'd win, and if the werewolf used a stake or sunlight he'd win.

And yeah mages beat everybody :) mages rule. But then the mages get beaten by their own paradox.

If by "ancient" we are talking about vampires like Malkav, yeah they win because they are 99% gods. A werewolf doesn't even need a stake or sunlight. Decapitation kills them just fine (or, y'know, 6L claws and teeth). A Nosferatu with an armory of fire and silver could actually stand a chance as Nightmare doesn't give a gently caress if you're supernatural or not.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

So Mad Max ruled hardcore, great film all around. Watching the behind the scenes footage is mind-boggling; things that for all logic should be special effects they did practical anyways, just for the gently caress of it. I'm kinda surprised nobody got seriously injured on set (did they?) here's the behind the scenes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9kK-CbqH0k

Anyways for the irritation: Most of the effects looked amazing, they looked real. ( I guess because they were! well, some stuff was bluescreen anyways)

Whats weird is, for all the amazing budget and special effects, there was one or two early shots that looked really really awful. In the beginning, when they're at The Citadel, there's a couple shots at the part where Mad Max jumps onto the crane wench, and then when Immortan Joe is talking to the crowd, where the composting just looks horrible.

Like somebody just grabbed the bluescreen clips for inside the mountain and the clips for the crowd and the mountain itself and just dropped the one on top of the other. The lighting is completely different and there's a very noticable border. Its weird. They spent so much money on everything else, why half-rear end that shot? I don't have a still to look at but I'm pretty sure that it'd look "shopped" for sure.

Maybe they'll fix it for the blu-ray release, IDK. But it stood out to me as especially bad. It reminded me of the blue-screen look of an old Roger Moore bond film, where its really really obvious that they're not actually in the scene.

Anyways after the first 15 minutes of so I didn't notice it anymore, movie was great. Its just those opening shots that seemed really off. Maybe they just didn't hire a good CG team because they didn't need much work to be done or something? I don't know. Maybe I'm nitpicking.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Why do people always shoot dudes and then they fall into a pool? I guess it looks cool with the blood slowly spreading out but it just ruins the pool. They probably have to drain it now.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

My fiancé is laid up with a broken leg so we've been watching pretty much whatever movies we can get our hands on. One such movie was Miyazaki's The Wind Rises, which was pretty great. For those who don't know, it's a drama about a boy who grows up to be an aircraft designer during the early days of flight. Two things really bugged me though:

1) it was pretty much wasted as a Miyazaki film. Barring a couple of dreams at the beginning there wasn't really anything that couldn't have been done - in my opinion much more engagingly- as live action.
2) holy poo poo Joseph Gordon-Levitt voices the main character and the only way he could be more obviously phoning it in is if there was an audible goddamn dial tone. I've never heard such completely emotionless voice acting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harton posted:

Why do people always shoot dudes and then they fall into a pool? I guess it looks cool with the blood slowly spreading out but it just ruins the pool. They probably have to drain it now.

Hahaha I was watching The Borgias and they stab a dude and toss him down a well.

All I could think was "That's a really dick move, all that well water is totally nasty now, also really wicked surprise for whoever goes out to draw water first..."

Ryoshi posted:

2) holy poo poo Joseph Gordon-Levitt voices the main character and the only way he could be more obviously phoning it in is if there was an audible goddamn dial tone. I've never heard such completely emotionless voice acting.

Probably just a challenge with doing overdubs that way. Normally AFAIK in cartoons you kinda record the audio to some sketches and they try to match the animation to your voice. When you're overdubbing Japanese animation its the opposite, you have to try to work your dialogue into the already existing animation.

Or it could just be bad direction, like Dinklage's extremely dry performance in Destiny. Might have not had enough time and they just took every take at the first try, trying to rush through. Or maybe he just lost interest in the project :iiam:

Its too bad though because Miyazaki's films are usually some of the best dubs available for English overdubbed anime. Disney usually handles it and usually puts in a great effort, in Howl's they got both Christian Bale who did a pretty good job of Howl and Billy Crystal as Calcifer who was amazing. And for Mononoke they had Minnie Driver, Billy Crudup, Billy Bob Thornton, Claire Danes and John DiMaggio. And even way back on Nausicaa they got freaking Patrick Stewart!

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 21:31 on May 29, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

And even way back on Nausicaa they got freaking Patrick Stewart and Tony Jay and Mark Hamill and Edward James Olmos and Uma Thurman and a young Shia LaBeouf

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

and a young Shia LaBeouf

WHAT

How did he land that role? Was he like 8? Was that before Even Stevens? It had to be, right?

Man how did I not know that. That's so weird.

Edit: Was he just in the 2005 re-release, or the original 80s release? That'd make more sense.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 21:55 on May 29, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

WHAT

How did he land that role? Was he like 8? Was that before Even Stevens? It had to be, right?

Man how did I not know that. That's so weird.

Edit: Was he just in the 2005 re-release, or the original 80s release? That'd make more sense.

Well, IMDB says he was born in '82 and the original theatrical release was in '84 so unless he was a really bright fuckin' kid, I'm guessing it was the '05 dub.

Also, re: Moro's head

IIRC she got tagged by some falling forest god goop and that's what severed her head

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
That's kind of what didn't make sense to me. Moro appeared to just kind of quietly die at the edge of the pool and then when next we see her it's her opening her eyes and her head wriggling over. What we saw of the Forest God's blood doesn't seem to have the ability to eat through flesh, just to "suck the life out of you", as we saw with the troops that got flooded with it. Iunno. Semantics. :shrug:

E: no, you know what, you might be right. I think what you're saying is that she got hit with enough force with a globule that it was sufficiently able to disconnect her head from her body? I really need to marathon Miyazaki's movies.

kinmik has a new favorite as of 22:35 on May 29, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I rewatched the scene and you're totally right that its just not really well communicated, however it was supposed to have happened.

Its like they knew they wanted it to happen and forgot to come up with how.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
All this Wod talk has some how made me regain my virginity. Going to burn all my old books in storage to atone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Jamie Foxx/Gerard Butler movie Law Abiding Citizen has a really weird bit where after the opening the movie skips like 10 years and literally one character (the criminal who is executed) is given make up to look older. Everyone else looks exactly the same.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Darth Freddy posted:

All this Wod talk has some how made me regain my virginity. Going to burn all my old books in storage to atone.

:smug: Just get a girlfriend that likes to play :smug:

Bones is a dumb show but all crime serials like that are dumb.
Emily Day Shun Ell has the worst loving voice. Read this sentence in your head or out loud,
"The bullet entered the Occipital lobe, causing massive inteternal hemorrhaging."

She says it like,
"Thuuuh... buHlleeeht ENtered the Occipital loooobe... causing? MASSIVE internal hemmoraging *shakes head for no reason*"

It wasn't like that all the time, only after the writers decided that she shouldn't be a strange and brilliant doctor but instead BEEP BOOP AUTISM ROBOT.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was one thing I liked in the few episodes I've seen.

She didn't have any disorder or anything like so many characters do today, she just lived in her closed little world and that made her weird.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

That was one thing I liked in the few episodes I've seen.

She didn't have any disorder or anything like so many characters do today, she just lived in her closed little world and that made her weird.

That's how I saw it. Also I'm gay for David Bore Ee Anus since Angel.

Bones just got so shrill and police industrial complex and all the fun went out of it when I read csi type poo poo is mostly lies.

I can't take procedurals any more.

:sjw:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Here's one for Apollo 13:

In the scene seconds before the explosion, Kevin Bacon is reaching over to flip the o2 fans. It cuts back to Sy (the bald guy with glasses) who does a double-take at the screen, like he sees something going wrong. I see it every time and I suspect it's an editing error (what would he have seen?), but christ it annoys me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MisterBibs posted:

Here's one for Apollo 13:

In the scene seconds before the explosion, Kevin Bacon is reaching over to flip the o2 fans. It cuts back to Sy (the bald guy with glasses) who does a double-take at the screen, like he sees something going wrong. I see it every time and I suspect it's an editing error (what would he have seen?), but christ it annoys me.

Hahahah yeah that's gotta be an editiing fuckup. He looks like he sees poo poo go wrong but it's way too soon, nothing has happened yet. Nice catch! Or, the oppposite I guess, since it's irritating.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Zaphod42 posted:

loving brilliant. UHF doesn't get enough love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfvLcozLwtE

Agreed. Underworld was pretty cheesy but it actually got this part right. Werewolves should be loving monsters, not just people who can turn into wolves.

I dunno about big cat but yeah, they had 5 forms ranging from human to beast-wolf to normal everyday wolf.

And blending in with society could be accomplished either way for werwolves in World of Darkness. Either turn into a plain wolf or plain human and nobody expects otherwise, or yeah if you get caught it doesn't even matter.

The term you're looking for is called "Lunacy" (get it, Luna, the moon? Hahahaha so clever) and it meant any mortal who so much as looked at a werwolf in the monster-stage would go insane. They'd piss themselves from fear, half would run away and half would just freeze, but the upside is that afterwards most would have such heavy PTSD they wouldn't even properly remember what happened, so the secret is maintained. (Plus if you're gibbering on about werewolves when your mind is clearly shaken nobody's going to pay attention)

I really like how World of Darkness handled that part of being a werewolf, that lots of humans would be like "oh yeah that poo poo sounds awesome! show me your werewolf form!" but even tough-guys would turn into crying babies when they saw the real werewolf.

The book Blood and Chocolate does the same thing, there's a girl werewolf who falls in love with a guy and eventually tells him. He's actually pretty okay with the idea (rather than the stereotypical freak out) but then when she actually shifts in front of him, he LOSES IT.

That's actually stupid as gently caress because it's basically just a big animal and something more supernatural/crazy looking would be necessary to do that to someone.
Like it's just a big animal thing, it's the least scary of the classic monsters, Nosferatu is scarier, the creature from the Black Lagoon is scarier, some gay rear end tentacle Cthulu thing is scarier, werewolves are just loving beat.

Also lol at people saying that instead of unique individual interpretations all of them SHOULD just be one version of the mythology, so we can all be nice and burned out by the same dull poo poo over and over.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

JebanyPedal posted:

That's actually stupid as gently caress because it's basically just a big animal and something more supernatural/crazy looking would be necessary to do that to someone.
Like it's just a big animal thing, it's the least scary of the classic monsters, Nosferatu is scarier, the creature from the Black Lagoon is scarier, some gay rear end tentacle Cthulu thing is scarier, werewolves are just loving beat.

Also lol at people saying that instead of unique individual interpretations all of them SHOULD just be one version of the mythology, so we can all be nice and burned out by the same dull poo poo over and over.

Did you just get mad at people sperging about werewolves?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
In Boogie Nights, Sam Molina's character is supposed to be freebasing cocaine but the pipe he's using has water in it like a bong. That's not how you smoke cocaine.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I watched Chappie and I loving hated it.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BiggerBoat posted:

In Boogie Nights, Sam Molina's character is supposed to be freebasing cocaine but the pipe he's using has water in it like a bong. That's not how you smoke cocaine.
You are not entirely correct.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Zaphod42 posted:

And even way back on Nausicaa they got freaking Patrick Stewart!

There's a great behind the scenes thing on Nausicca where all the voice actors talk about how lucky they were when overdubbing, that most of the characters spend half the movie either wearing a gas-mask or having giant mustaches.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

JebanyPedal posted:

:allears:
Gosh, you're just a peach.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Begin the movie by talking about how Chappie changed the world, show him do it at the very end of the movie with the mind transfer/copy tech and then don't follow up on any of it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

:allears:
Gosh, you're just a peach.

I know right?

Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments: Werewolf Fascist Outpost

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Same :smith: Turns out that great visual filmmakers aren't necessarily the ones you want to trust with writing duties.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Mark Wahlberg movie Shooter has an issue where the main character, Bob Lee Swagger is way too competent. Other than the scene early on when he's double crossed by the bad guys he always has the upper hand. Even at the end of the movie when you're lead to believe the bad guys beat him he has a secret weapon that proves he's innocent.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

:smug: Just get a girlfriend that likes to play :smug:

Bones is a dumb show but all crime serials like that are dumb.
Emily Day Shun Ell has the worst loving voice. Read this sentence in your head or out loud,
"The bullet entered the Occipital lobe, causing massive inteternal hemorrhaging."

She says it like,
"Thuuuh... buHlleeeht ENtered the Occipital loooobe... causing? MASSIVE internal hemmoraging *shakes head for no reason*"

It wasn't like that all the time, only after the writers decided that she shouldn't be a strange and brilliant doctor but instead BEEP BOOP AUTISM ROBOT.

Oh god, I'm not the only one who doesn't like that poo poo

"Oh the Beatles? Beep boop beep, never heard of them"

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just finished watching Season 1 of DareDevil and had no idea it was part of the MCU until the second to last episode where the reporter is looking at his article about the Battle of New York that took place at the end of The Avengers. It's really weird how no one ever seems to acknowledge that 1. Aliens exist 2. They invaded New York 3. They destroyed have the city in a fight with an alien god, a flying robot man and a giant green monster. Doesn't it seem like at least one of those things would come in conversation at least once? All you hear about about a galactic invasion is one throwaway newspaper article.

Shouldn't the headlines be more along the lines of " Some Bald Guy Gives Hell's Kitchen Some Money Also Holy poo poo Remember How Like A Year Ago Aliens Blew The gently caress Out Of Our City"?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
They forgot :911:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I just finished watching Season 1 of DareDevil and had no idea it was part of the MCU until the second to last episode where the reporter is looking at his article about the Battle of New York that took place at the end of The Avengers. It's really weird how no one ever seems to acknowledge that 1. Aliens exist 2. They invaded New York 3. They destroyed have the city in a fight with an alien god, a flying robot man and a giant green monster. Doesn't it seem like at least one of those things would come in conversation at least once? All you hear about about a galactic invasion is one throwaway newspaper article.

Shouldn't the headlines be more along the lines of " Some Bald Guy Gives Hell's Kitchen Some Money Also Holy poo poo Remember How Like A Year Ago Aliens Blew The gently caress Out Of Our City"?

At one point early on I think it was Wesley says something to the effect of, "he's a guy in a mask. Unless he has an iron suit or a magic hammer you can probably take him out."

So it's present, but not like hugely so.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They literally mention all of those things.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It annoyed me too, but Marvel and Netflix especially were probably piss-scared that it'd undermine the sense of stakes at play. It's the MCU's first major foray into more traditional "I fight street and organized crime" vigilante, which has been completely absent up to this point, and even pointing out how relatively rare and insane all the Avengers-related poo poo is wouldn't stop the audience from wondering why the gently caress Murdock and his crew aren't working tirelessly to contact Iron Man or Captain America to help clean up Fisk instead of handling it themselves at insane personal cost.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Fart Sandwiches posted:

At one point early on I think it was Wesley says something to the effect of, "he's a guy in a mask. Unless he has an iron suit or a magic hammer you can probably take him out."

So it's present, but not like hugely so.

They literally mention that every single time a guy in cape causes damage its good for them. I think it's the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

There's a great behind the scenes thing on Nausicca where all the voice actors talk about how lucky they were when overdubbing, that most of the characters spend half the movie either wearing a gas-mask or having giant mustaches.

Hahaha, that's great. Yeah I often think about how characters in Anime and Videogames often have helmets or beards or really huge collars (Auron in FFX) probably just to cover up their mouths because animating mouths is a TON of work, looks like crap if you don't try really hard, and doesn't really even add all that much.

Its the same thing with changing camera angles to look away from a character right as they talk, and then switching back to them when the other character is talking.

Irrationally irritating movie moment - I hate when a scene gets overdubbed (talking English movies here, because they screwed up the audio or because they couldn't record it at the same time) and its obvious. Sometimes the mouth doesn't match up at all but I guess Hollywood says 'good enough' ? I'm trying to think of examples here but I know I see it pretty often.

Even worse is when some character talks a bit and then walks off, and there's some parting shot line and its clear that was overdubbed in later and the character didn't actually say anything while they walked away.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 23:42 on May 30, 2015