Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Republicans posted:

You're right, I am exaggerating a bit. I actually paid $4.16/lb for it.

Boy those were good steaks. There's a picture of one of them cooked down a bit further in that thread. Did you know steak can glisten?

I choose to believe you were talking about my steaks and not that claptrap above you.

I saw that post a while back and I use my restaurants ID to go there when I host my Biannual cook out. Haven't seen anything that insane, but the prices are no joke.

E: I can also get nueske's bacon every now and then, at a decent price. Which is rad as hell.

Secret Spoon fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

A Man and his dog posted:

Day was going smooth. Till GM/HC showed up coked the gently caress up. And was just raging at everyone.

I just tune him out when he's like this and does what he ask over and over. Whatever he's just a dick when he pulls it.

Going back to last Friday. I'm 85% sure he pulled a fast one at the end of the night to steal that $100 that just disappeared to fuel his addiction...

I'm sure the blame got thrown on me and the other server(we didn't do it) for too many hands in the register.

Since he's GM he has hired two BOH guys who are heavily into coke and his good friends.

The whole BOH is just drug addicts that know they can get by. And they rarely do that. Who knows how much longer this place will last. Last inspection 95%

:suicide:

I still can't believe you share a register rather than bringing/making your own change. I get one because i work bar and I have no problem making change for servers but gently caress if I'll let em do it themselves

Edit: i don't care how busy I am, full bar, full board, I have time to make change. Even if you've worked here for years and you also manage you ain't touching my fuckin money. Also want to throw in my 2 cents this guy sounds like an amateur and an rear end in a top hat but everybody deserves a labor break even if they're a deplorable nicotine addict

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 29, 2015

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Wait, did you steal the $100 from the register for the ten times you plan to get banned next month?

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Are you sure they're Latino this time?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

The Maestro posted:

I still can't believe you share a register rather than bringing/making your own change. I get one because i work bar and I have no problem making change for servers but gently caress if I'll let em do it themselves

Edit: i don't care how busy I am, full bar, full board, I have time to make change. Even if you've worked here for years and you also manage you ain't touching my fuckin money. Also want to throw in my 2 cents this guy sounds like an amateur and an rear end in a top hat but everybody deserves a labor break even if they're a deplorable nicotine addict

People do deserve breaks but not so that they can indulge in suicidal addictions

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Hey, 10 minutes might not be enough time to get up there in a plane but if the hotel's tall enough then I'm BASE jumping on my breaks and you can just keep your nanny opinions to yourself.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
If you work (anywhere other than kitchen) in a hotel, you HAVE to take a 30min break. God knows my company would force breaks on culinary if an important enough guest didn't like it. Also, we have the choice of a break, and just don't really care for them. Most of my guys would much rather work their 8 and go home than work 4 hours, take a 30min break, and then work another 4.

e: maybe I should've said my hotel brand, but I'd assume most luxury places run the same way.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

If you work (anywhere other than kitchen) in a hotel, you HAVE to take a 30min break. God knows my company would force breaks on culinary if an important enough guest didn't like it. Also, we have the choice of a break, and just don't really care for them. Most of my guys would much rather work their 8 and go home than work 4 hours, take a 30min break, and then work another 4.

e: maybe I should've said my hotel brand, but I'd assume most luxury places run the same way.

I'm sort of curious which brand because I used to work in a luxury-ish hotel and they absolutely forced us to clock out for our 30. Most people would go up, clock out for break, then either come back to the restaurant to make themselves something if it was quiet because the staff cafeteria was disgusting, or else they'd just go back to work, clock back in 30m later and continue working. That kinda rubbed me the wrong way, I mean that's fine if you don't want a break, but at that point you're literally working for free during that period.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I work for Omni, don't think that's much of a secret around here. WillieTomg aslo works with me, also not much of a secret.

Shameless plug: If you're FOH or BOH in Austin and want a decent job, I can probably hire you.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

I work for Omni, don't think that's much of a secret around here. WillieTomg aslo works with me, also not much of a secret.

Shameless plug: If you're FOH or BOH in Austin and want a decent job, I can probably hire you.

Don't you run the food service operation there completely?

Also HEALTH INSPECTION DAY!!

I hosed up my year long perfect streak. There was a spot on a dough cutter I never use that was hanging on the wall magnet of poo poo knives I don't use, so I didn't see it. I got a 97... It hardly seems worth staying open anymore.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
We got a 98 this morning, and our inspector had a total blast telling the owner that we got an 84 just to see the look on his face. I thought his eyes were going to pop out and grow arms and strangle someone.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

We got a 98 this morning, and our inspector had a total blast telling the owner that we got an 84 just to see the look on his face. I thought his eyes were going to pop out and grow arms and strangle someone.

Yeah the minimum hit is 3 here in San Antonio. It's the smallest infraction and goes up from there. So that one thing cost me the 3 points.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guess you better pack it in and go back to McDonald's then, Monk. Ain't no recovering from that.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Manuel Calavera posted:

Guess you better pack it in and go back to McDonald's then, Monk. Ain't no recovering from that.

Yeah it's time to fire sale all food for under cost and call it a day. Oh well.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The state should have shut you down....

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
I know this isn't a big deal compared to what most of you guys here do. I'm the guy that was posting a number of pages back about being an ex-con, ex-junkie 3 years clean trying to break into the industry. I was offered some encouragement and a lot of ridiculing, most of it deserved. Today I found out that I got straight As in my first semester of culinary school AND i just got hired on to my first industry job, weekend night shift dishwasher/prep at the main restaurant in a large restaurant group in my city. The chef told me I'm about to become the kitchen's bitch and I guess I'm ready to become the kitchen's bitch. I worked in the kitchen in prison which was pretty fast-paced and filled with guys who had worked in the industry for a lot of their lives so I have some background besides culinary school. At least in a professional kitchen they can't throw me in the SHU if I gently caress up haha. I start tomorrow at 4, kinda nervous but mostly excited.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

It's been in the 80s the past couple days and our kitchen has no air conditioning so it's an extra 15-20 in there. Night crew was crabby as poo poo tonight I thought the grill and fry cooks were gonna go at it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah the minimum hit is 3 here in San Antonio. It's the smallest infraction and goes up from there. So that one thing cost me the 3 points.

I'm firmly convinced that we're getting bonus points from the owner having a very adorable baby that the health inspector loves to play with.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

the great deceiver posted:

I know this isn't a big deal compared to what most of you guys here do. I'm the guy that was posting a number of pages back about being an ex-con, ex-junkie 3 years clean trying to break into the industry. I was offered some encouragement and a lot of ridiculing, most of it deserved. Today I found out that I got straight As in my first semester of culinary school AND i just got hired on to my first industry job, weekend night shift dishwasher/prep at the main restaurant in a large restaurant group in my city. The chef told me I'm about to become the kitchen's bitch and I guess I'm ready to become the kitchen's bitch. I worked in the kitchen in prison which was pretty fast-paced and filled with guys who had worked in the industry for a lot of their lives so I have some background besides culinary school. At least in a professional kitchen they can't throw me in the SHU if I gently caress up haha. I start tomorrow at 4, kinda nervous but mostly excited.

There's no such thing as a big or small deal, conzakulations dude. do not do drugs

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Good luck dude. :)

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The person at our city gov. who was supposed to send our paperwork and fees off to the state gov. to get our alcohol licensing was out of the office for a few days and just didn't do it until yesterday afternoon. We were supposed to open tomorrow. We were told by our lawyers that everything would be set to go Monday afternoon, so the opening got moved to Tuesday. Honestly, it's a bit lucky, since we would have had to stay up prepping the whole night just to be ready for dinner tomorrow, and trying to do opening night service on a Saturday with no sleep after 24+ hours of prep would have been an unimaginable nightmare. Our soft open last night went well, and not being able to sell booze was fine enough for showing off our entrees to a small crowd of friends, family, etc. but there was no way we were going to try and open without booze, since a big part of the restaurant is the wine list and craft beer.

I'm still nervous, because this is my first job in a real kitchen, but the chef owners and two sous chefs have told me I'm getting my a handle on things faster and better than they expected, so I'm probably not as useless as I feel. Don't get me wrong I'm not wasting anyone's time there. My whole plan going in was to make up for my lack of knowledge by busting my rear end as much as I can and making sure I pay attention so that I never have to be told anything twice, but I'm clearly way greener than everyone else in the kitchen, and I feel the pressure of needing to be able to perform. I want to make drat sure that it was worth it for these folks to take the risk of bringing me on board as anything but a dishwasher when the menu is so much more skill intensive than the basic rear end poo poo I've been cooking at the hospital.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Work your rear end off and take your lickings. You will do fine if you work hard. I believe in you, good luck man.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Everybody's gotta start somewhere. I'm still at my first restaurant job. Started 3 years ago, busted rear end, went from busser to food runner to barback to expo to server and now I've been bartending weekend nights for almost 2 of those years. It's no small gig - farm to table tapas with requisite seasonal menu changes (central coast CA to get too specific) and we do about 400 on a Thursday Friday or Saturday night. So buck up be confident ask smart questions and don't be afraid to make mistakes!

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Work your rear end off and take your lickings. You will do fine if you work hard. I believe in you, good luck man.

Thanks a lot man, I really do appreciate your kind words even if you do have a Seahawks avatar. I'm gonna kill it today, I already feel it.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Ask lots of questions, do your tasks thoroughly, work clean. You'll do great :) lots of guys in the kitchen have a record. Stay away from drugs.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
On Wednesday I had a craving, and the kitchen had leftovers, so with CDC's help I kludged together a not-indecent ramen-cum-pho special with a shrimp stock, splash of lemon to cut That Scromp Funk, lobster tail, basil leaf, lime, a splayed soft boiled egg rolled in smoked salt and a pickled ginger rosette inside because when its my plate you're gonna put some yonic imagery in your mouth and like it okay?

Then I hosed off for two days.

I came back and we're still running it, and wonder of wonders we get two orders so I run to grab and fire product, get ready to send out My First Real Grown-Up Special and...

somebody took the lobster tails to walk while I was away

The sous chef goes out to smooth the tables over and what's the bit of improv he settles on? "Oh, my boy back there dropped the lobster tails, and I don't wanna serve you something that isn't fresh."

While this fat dingus is making himself tacos, I'm working two stations and prepping in the moment. While that gross stoma is off, I'm doing those things and making specials. While he's on his fourth smoke break after the exec leaves, I'm working a ninth hour like its my second. And on the hour where I should have felt like the last several years of literal pain actually paid off in the form of sending out something that was My Idea, On A Plate (or in a bowl, whatever, gently caress you) he waddles on out there and throws me under the bus of my own loving special because someone got grabby fingers around the prime protein. So, sorry y'all, but I gotta just do something real quick one sec--

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb7LH02FudQ

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ex2ZpZYv4c

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoW08MConp4

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci1sugLZQIU

I'm going to go do some of the drugs the great deciever should not do, now. brb

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

I'm gonna kill it today, I already feel it.

If they were all on fire, the only culinary school grads I'd waste a perfectly good squirt of piss on are the ones who have some kind of Hard Life Experience like yours. I'm as confident as I can be--y'know, not knowing you personally and all--that you'll be great because of that attitude. That, "hey, at least they can't throw me in SHU" attitude. That is going to be the thing that carries you above the drek, the tumors, and the goddamned product-stealing gently caress--

*ahem* Sorry.

My point is: It's a hard industry, and if you've had a hard row to hoe then you're ready for it in a way that a lot of people are not. "Fortunate" is a highly messed-up word to use in any proximity to the US prison system, but... I think your classmates are gonna have some wake up calls, but you are more or less good to go between the culinary school lexicon and the prison canteen work ethic. I wish you the best of luck. May this industry give your brainsnakes many obstacles to wrestle that aren't your own self, god knows it keeps mine occupied. :D

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Willie Tomg's posts are one of the great joys of this thread, thanks for making them Willie. :allears:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

One of my managers asked me today if I had any experience with breakfast and I answered "not professionally, no" and he left it at that. If I go to him tomorrow and tell him I could totally function as a second hand on a breakfast line given how simple our menu is am I being diligent or just stupid when I'm currently enjoying nine hours of sleep every night?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Republicans posted:

One of my managers asked me today if I had any experience with breakfast and I answered "not professionally, no" and he left it at that. If I go to him tomorrow and tell him I could totally function as a second hand on a breakfast line given how simple our menu is am I being diligent or just stupid when I'm currently enjoying nine hours of sleep every night?

Don't volunteer for less sleep you dingus!

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Willie Tomg posted:

If they were all on fire, the only culinary school grads I'd waste a perfectly good squirt of piss on are the ones who have some kind of Hard Life Experience like yours. I'm as confident as I can be--y'know, not knowing you personally and all--that you'll be great because of that attitude. That, "hey, at least they can't throw me in SHU" attitude. That is going to be the thing that carries you above the drek, the tumors, and the goddamned product-stealing gently caress--

*ahem* Sorry.

My point is: It's a hard industry, and if you've had a hard row to hoe then you're ready for it in a way that a lot of people are not. "Fortunate" is a highly messed-up word to use in any proximity to the US prison system, but... I think your classmates are gonna have some wake up calls, but you are more or less good to go between the culinary school lexicon and the prison canteen work ethic. I wish you the best of luck. May this industry give your brainsnakes many obstacles to wrestle that aren't your own self, god knows it keeps mine occupied. :D

Thank you for that post, it meant a lot to me. When I look at the 18, 19, 20 year olds in culinary school with me I like them as people but they just don't understand work. They don't understand waking up at 3am to work in a prison bakery for 12cents an hour. I don't let it get me bitter but I make drat sure that I don't forget where I come from.

Anyway my first night went great. I worked my rear end off, made no major mistakes to speak of and impressed the executive chef so much that he offered to hire me full time within my first 2 hours there. I very graciously turned him down because I really want my culinary degree and I can't work and go to school full time. Today was a morale boost- I think I can cut it in this industry.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
It's me. I'm the dingus.

I just worked a Saturday night as host on my own because my manager had to go across town to the main branch of our restaurant (it's a mini-chain) from 6-7:30, and for the two hours before that she was interviewing potential new employees and after she came back she had to speak the assistant manager about some upcoming schedule changes. So it turns out in about two weeks she's going to take leave for two months for health issues, leaving me mostly on my own as main host training newbies while keeping an eye on the hosts that haven't left yet; but hey our owner-boss and I were watching you on the cameras and you killed it so starting next week we're giving you a raise!

And then I turned that around and said "Well, hey, 8 months ago you were half-joking about making me assistant manager so you could pass on some of the stress, is that offer still available?"

:raise: : Well it is, but do you really want to be the assistant manager?
:haw: : If you think I'm right for the job.
:raise: : I mean, you'd have to work 42-45 hours a week with no overtime because you'd be on salary.
:haw: : I've worked 42-45 hours before!
:raise: : When you close it can get really late.
:haw: : I've done it before as a closing cashier! With a 2-hour commute home!
:raise: : Look at the last girl - I promoted her and she started developing heart problems from the stress and had to quit.
:haw: : I think in general I'm sturdier than her!
:raise: : It's a really demanding position and you'd have a lot to learn in the two weeks before I go.
:haw: : Well, honestly, I think I've pretty much learned all I can in my current position and I've been thinking about finding a new job if I have no further prospects here.
:shrug: : It's your funeral. I'll put in a word for you with the owner.

So here's to potentially burning all the bridges I've built with my servers and kitchen and sushi bar if I get it and burning the apparent goodwill I had with my manager if I don't. :flame: :suicide:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

42-45 hours? Let me start by saying:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

50-60 is probably closer to reality. And even as assistant manager you should be getting salary + bonus for helping maintain food cost, liquor cost, payroll/staffing, etc. It shouldn't be much of a chunk of your total package, but something.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

50-60 is probably closer to reality. And even as assistant manager you should be getting salary + bonus for helping maintain food cost, liquor cost, payroll/staffing, etc. It shouldn't be much of a chunk of your total package, but something.

Yea even in my very limited restaurant experience I think managers are loving crazy to work the hours they do; there is a 5000% chance she undersold you on the responsibilities to hype you up to accept 60 hr weeks at 35 hr pay because they wanted you for it the whole time and you just negotiated yourself into their corner for them. Or maybe I'm super cynical.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

The Maestro posted:

Yea even in my very limited restaurant experience I think managers are loving crazy to work the hours they do; there is a 5000% chance she undersold you on the responsibilities to hype you up to accept 60 hr weeks at 35 hr pay because they wanted you for it the whole time and you just negotiated yourself into their corner for them. Or maybe I'm super cynical.

No that's probably very true.

If they offer you 35k laugh in their face. They will offer you 35k

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.

Yeah, my first and current hotel kitchen jobs let us take our breaks if we want. Personally I'd rather just do the 8 and go too. My last job my sous threatened to write me up if we didn't take our breaks :what:

Just finished day 5 of my 8 day stretch, looking forward to finally getting some decent sleep.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Shooting Blanks posted:

The Maestro posted:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No that's probably very true.

If they offer you 35k laugh in their face. They will offer you 35k

This is why I need this thread to break down the ridiculous optimism I have for the service industry.

Things I'm taking into consideration: It's a Japanese-owned/run restaurant and I've been told in this same thread that I basically work in a sitcom setup. I was fairly close with the previous/current assistant managers so I already have some idea of what they do. (The girl who broke down did so at 42 hours so I'd be taking over what she did.) I'm making under 35k and it'd be pretty nice to have the "manager" title on my resume for the future.

Things I'm also taking into consideration: It's a Japanese-owned/run restaurant, and the manager who's leaving usually took the brunt of customers relations damage (in her own words, "I won't be able to protect you because I'll be gone."). And have I mentioned it's a Japanese-owned/run restaurant by people from Japan with that notoriously ridiculous work ethic standards?

So the plan is get in, get out in a year and cite health/stress issues. :gonk:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Kimitsu posted:

So the plan is get in, get out in a year and cite health/stress issues. :gonk:

The best laid plans of mice and men often go do lines in the bathroom just to keep up

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I don't know how people complain about working more than 40 in a week. I just don't. Deal with it, or get out of the industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

I don't know how people complain about working more than 40 in a week. I just don't. Deal with it, or get out of the industry.

Nothing wrong with working more than 40; everything wrong with not getting compensated for it

• Locked thread