Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Soldier of Fortran posted:

Nice app, though for anyone who doesn't want to bother with Finder replacements: Finder does cut & paste too, except in Finder you choose between copy/cut at paste time. Hold down Option when looking paste in the edit/right click menu, or hit ⌘⌥V

Well that's useful as hell, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

When doing an OS upgrade (a full version, like from Mavericks to Yosemite), do most people just do a flatten-and-install from scratch? The past three OS X upgrades that's what I did because coming from the Windows world, nobody ever upgrades the OS. Do most of y'all just do the upgrade through the App Store?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Always upgrade.

(I'll backup then flatten once a decade or so as a "easy" way of clearing cruft.)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Yeah, I've gone from 10.8->10.10 and across computers without reformatting. The Mac experience seems to be a bit better at this than most other OSes.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Upgrading is cool. My current install is from 10.6 to 10.7 on a 2009 MBP Migration Assistanced to a 2012 MBA (although I guess this counts as a fresh install?) with 10.7 to 10.10, all via the App Store.

I guess I probably should to a complete wipe one day, there are a couple of apps from 2010 hanging around.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Whereas here I am, accidentally updated the kernel on my Mint box at work, and I'm afraid of rebooting it because of what could break.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

People who like watching Netflix and saving battery power on their Mac should never use anything other than Safari. Less than 6% CPU while I'm playing an HD movie, and that's on a 13-inch Late 2013 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.10.3.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

People who like watching Netflix and saving battery power on their Mac should never use anything other than Safari. Less than 6% CPU while I'm playing an HD movie, and that's on a 13-inch Late 2013 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.10.3.

Safari is insanely good on MacBooks. I get like 12-14 hours of work using google drive on safari and around 5 using it on chrome (which is sometimes necessary if I can't find wifi :smith:).

I also use handoff all the time between safari on my phone, iPad, and MacBook and it's really good!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, plus watching stuff in Safari is the only way to see most full HD content In the higher bitrates Netflix provides. I think anyway. Breaking Bad never plays in HD on Chrome for me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Any of you try Synergy with a Windows 8.1 host (wired) and an OSX 10.10 client (wifi) lately? I just tried it tonight and encountered a really awful bug where if you leave the keyboard or mouse inactive for a couple seconds there's a ~1s delay in using either of them on the client device. I saw a couple people reporting the issue on github but the developer closed their reports without offering any kind of solution.

One example: https://github.com/synergy/synergy/issues/3807

I also tried ShareMouse and experienced the same thing. Is there some kind of sleep mode on the Macbook that could be causing this?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Any of you try Synergy with a Windows 8.1 host (wired) and an OSX 10.10 client (wifi) lately? I just tried it tonight and encountered a really awful bug where if you leave the keyboard or mouse inactive for a couple seconds there's a ~1s delay in using either of them on the client device. I saw a couple people reporting the issue on github but the developer closed their reports without offering any kind of solution.

I also tried ShareMouse and experienced the same thing. Is there some kind of sleep mode on the Macbook that could be causing this?

I'll have to dig it up, but I had to make some registry changes on Win 8.1 for the sleep issue there.

Also, make your Mac the server. I had nothing but problems the other way around. I do that with my rMBP and have zero issues.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

flosofl posted:

I'll have to dig it up, but I had to make some registry changes on Win 8.1 for the sleep issue there.

Also, make your Mac the server. I had nothing but problems the other way around. I do that with my rMBP and have zero issues.

Thanks for the help, I'd appreciate it if you could find those registry changes because it's not really feasible to have the MBP be the server in my situation.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Thanks for the help, I'd appreciate it if you could find those registry changes because it's not really feasible to have the MBP be the server in my situation.

Found it in a txt doc. Not 100% this will fix your issue. For reference I'm running 8.1 Pro 64bit.

Try this. Since you're using it as a server, I made a change from client to server. I *think* I found it originally on the dev's GitHub as a bug report.

quote:

powercfg /REQUESTSOVERRIDE PROCESS synergys.exe SYSTEM DISPLAY AWAYMODE
powercfg /REQUESTSOVERRIDE SERVICE "Synergy Server" SYSTEM DISPLAY AWAYMODE

You'll probably have to bounce the service after you do that.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

That's not what that link shows. The day the bug opened he replied asking for more information. Two months go by without a reply and he closes it as obsolete. Probably assuming that after two months of not answering a question asked within hours of the problem occurring the user solved it themselves or gave up on the software.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

flosofl posted:

Found it in a txt doc. Not 100% this will fix your issue. For reference I'm running 8.1 Pro 64bit.

Try this. Since you're using it as a server, I made a change from client to server. I *think* I found it originally on the dev's GitHub as a bug report.

You'll probably have to bounce the service after you do that.

Thanks! I did confirm that running the server on the Mac and the client on the 8.1 PC fixes the problem like you said it probably would, which is too bad because I don't want to swap the keyboard and mouse permanently to the Mac. I'll take the issue up with their forums.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 31, 2015

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

If you can hook your macbook up via ethernet it should work better. That's what I do anyway.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Question about Time Machine.

So I have about 1 years worth of backups.

I have noticed though, that sometimes when I enter time machine to look for something to restore there are no backups on some dates and I would need to keep scrolling through the backup dates to find a actual backup.

As an example: I enter time machine, goto the "Applications" folder from last month. Time machine shows me nothing, if I go to the previous couple days or weeks, there might not be something there as well. I might have to go back 2 months or 6 months before anything actually appears in those restore folders.

Is this normal behaviour? It's quite inconvenient. I get that the Applications directory might not of changed during a backup, but how are you suppose to know when the files were last created\edited\etc.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys, this is more a photography centric question about working with Macs/PCs.

I just bought a new Macbook and loaded a whole bunch of photos onto it using Lightroom. I tried plugging in an external NTFS hard drive in but it has trouble writing. What's the best way to deal with this situation?

In the future, should I just have a large NAS using CIFS so that it can play nice with all devices?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

OS X can only read NTFS, not write. You can find an NTFS writing driver like Paragon NTFS, Tuxera, or MacFuse (if that even works anymore.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

caberham posted:

Hi guys, this is more a photography centric question about working with Macs/PCs.

I just bought a new Macbook and loaded a whole bunch of photos onto it using Lightroom. I tried plugging in an external NTFS hard drive in but it has trouble writing. What's the best way to deal with this situation?

In the future, should I just have a large NAS using CIFS so that it can play nice with all devices?

You can, or you can get one that does both SMB *and* AFP. You'll need the AFP if you want to use it for Time Machine, I believe. For instance, I have a WD My Cloud EX 2 that I can use as a Time Machine target along with storing other files, and all the shares mount as AFP in OS X.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

flosofl posted:

You can, or you can get one that does both SMB *and* AFP. You'll need the AFP if you want to use it for Time Machine, I believe. For instance, I have a WD My Cloud EX 2 that I can use as a Time Machine target along with storing other files, and all the shares mount as AFP in OS X.
Yeah, my Synology at home is the same. AFP for Time Machine and SMB for everything else, works great.

Also, in case anyone isn't aware Yosemite now defaults to using SMB if you don't specify anything or just browse and open from the Network section in Finder.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, my Synology at home is the same. AFP for Time Machine and SMB for everything else, works great.

Also, in case anyone isn't aware Yosemite now defaults to using SMB if you don't specify anything or just browse and open from the Network section in Finder.

Huh, I *just* tested my "flosofl" share (not the TM share), and it shows as mounted with "afpfs" using the "mount" command in terminal.

I also verified SMB with my gaming computer on the same mount point.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

flosofl posted:

Huh, I *just* tested my "flosofl" share (not the TM share), and it shows as mounted with "afpfs" using the "mount" command in terminal.

I also verified SMB with my gaming computer on the same mount point.
If you type 'server/share' without specifying anything in Go->Connect to Server and press enter it shows trying to connect with smb:// at the start automatically. Same thing happens with browsing to it through the 'All...' section in Finder :shrug:

Here's the output I get either way:
code:
//mercury@server/Temp on /Volumes/Temp (smbfs, nodev, nosuid, mounted by mercury)

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
So I have a question from frequent Mac users: How do Macs (Specifically Macbook Pros) handle overheating? I'm used to PCs either completely locking up or just shutting down. However, the Macbook I'm working on seems to not doing that. The mouse works and responds, but I can't click or do anything, but the mouse moves. Is this standard, or is this a special snowflake case?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

So I have a question from frequent Mac users: How do Macs (Specifically Macbook Pros) handle overheating? I'm used to PCs either completely locking up or just shutting down. However, the Macbook I'm working on seems to not doing that. The mouse works and responds, but I can't click or do anything, but the mouse moves. Is this standard, or is this a special snowflake case?

They start ramping up the fan and throttling, if it still gets too hot they shut down. Are you sure you are overheating? Are you using the trackpad or an external mouse? If you're on a trackpad do you use tap-to-click or not? Does the trackpad button do the click? Does it persist after a restart? Does it appear randomly or when you do something specific?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Sprat Sandwich posted:

They start ramping up the fan and throttling, if it still gets too hot they shut down. Are you sure you are overheating? Are you using the trackpad or an external mouse? If you're on a trackpad do you use tap-to-click or not? Does the trackpad button do the click? Does it persist after a restart? Does it appear randomly or when you do something specific?

I think the fan is going bad, it's blowing, but not quite enough to keep it really cool. I'm using the trackpad and it works until suddenly it stops doing anything but moving around. No highlighting anything, no clicks, no nuffink. I use tap to click and also the manual click. It stops after a restart, and the computer will last longer depending on how long it's off. It's semi-random, but it never goes real far. However, after replacing the thermal paste, I can now go much further than before. It also does the same thing on a Linux Live CD I was using (Knoppix) to test the HDD with SMART data. Before I replaced the thermal paste, I could only get the background to load, but after replacing the paste it will actually load the tool bars and stuff so I can actually do a thing or to before it starts doing the same thing.

Both the bottom of the laptop where the CPU is and the heat sink are incredibly hot. So I think the heat is moving to the radiator fins but there isn't enough air to move it off.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

I think the fan is going bad, it's blowing, but not quite enough to keep it really cool. I'm using the trackpad and it works until suddenly it stops doing anything but moving around. No highlighting anything, no clicks, no nuffink. I use tap to click and also the manual click. It stops after a restart, and the computer will last longer depending on how long it's off. It's semi-random, but it never goes real far. However, after replacing the thermal paste, I can now go much further than before. It also does the same thing on a Linux Live CD I was using (Knoppix) to test the HDD with SMART data. Before I replaced the thermal paste, I could only get the background to load, but after replacing the paste it will actually load the tool bars and stuff so I can actually do a thing or to before it starts doing the same thing.

Both the bottom of the laptop where the CPU is and the heat sink are incredibly hot. So I think the heat is moving to the radiator fins but there isn't enough air to move it off.

You can try an SMC reset https://support.apple.com/et-ee/HT201295

The first thing it should do after it's done is run the fans at max speeds so if it wasn't ramping up properly you'll know. I also assume while you were changing the thermal paste you got all the dust out as well?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Whats that paid app that disables scroll wheel acceleration?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there a more apropos "bootcamp" thread? Before I start talking' bout it here...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Not really, but your problem might turn out to be with Windows in which case you can just repost over in the thread for Windows questions.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

carry on then posted:

Not really, but your problem might turn out to be with Windows in which case you can just repost over in the thread for Windows questions.

It's actually more Bootcamp specific. But I don't know if it's a solvable problem. I just want to commiserate/wonder about/and wish for new bootcamp GPU drivers... Didn't know if there was a better place to talk about that. I guess I don't have too much poignant to say about it. I just saw that Witcher 3 got an ATI driver update for better performance gains and was feeling really "left out". :\

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Gothmog1065 posted:

Probably not your issue but I noticed something like this minus the heat on my MacBook. Turns out my bluetooth mouse was turning itself on and taking input preference over the trackpad. Same symptoms.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Feenix posted:

It's actually more Bootcamp specific. But I don't know if it's a solvable problem. I just want to commiserate/wonder about/and wish for new bootcamp GPU drivers... Didn't know if there was a better place to talk about that. I guess I don't have too much poignant to say about it. I just saw that Witcher 3 got an ATI driver update for better performance gains and was feeling really "left out". :\

You should be able to install any GPU drivers you want. I have an nvidia card in my Macbook Pro and just install the universal drivers and it works fine.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Man this fucker is being frustrating.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

All I can say is poo poo gets really hot during operation, doesn't seem to be a lot of air movement over the radiator. However the replacement fan did not fit properly, going to have to order another.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

You can try an SMC reset https://support.apple.com/et-ee/HT201295

The first thing it should do after it's done is run the fans at max speeds so if it wasn't ramping up properly you'll know. I also assume while you were changing the thermal paste you got all the dust out as well?

This did nothing sadly.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Probably not your issue but I noticed something like this minus the heat on my MacBook. Turns out my bluetooth mouse was turning itself on and taking input preference over the trackpad. Same symptoms.

Fairly certain this model doesn't have bluetooth. If it does, I don't see a place to turn it on or off on the keyboard (no physical switches).

Okay, now I'm scratching my head. I still think heat is an issue (could be wrong, have been before!), but it keeps going back to the Disk Utilities, no matter what I do. I have that Lion OS thing I paid for, it will run the installer, if it doesn't lock up, it will get to the main part, then go back to Disk Utilities. I haven't fully scanned the HDD yet (not sure if Knoppix has that on disc), and I think a MemTest is in order, unless I'm completely missing the target. At this point, I'm really not sure what the hell is going on.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Gothmog1065 posted:

Fairly certain this model doesn't have bluetooth. If it does, I don't see a place to turn it on or off on the keyboard (no physical switches).

Every MBP has Bluetooth. There's no physical switch or key, it has to be enabled and disabled through System Preferences.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
There should be a dozen local places you can take it to that will thoroughly clean it out for you and even apply new thermal paste.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Well, I'm giving up for tonight. I think I made things worse. I ended up formatting the hard drive, now the stupid USB isn't actually loading the software, it fails every time I try. I'm about to tell the woman to throw it off a bridge and get a new one. It's not a heating issue, I was able to do a bunch of stuff in Knoppix and it never got about 65C, though that seemed hot to me (Via lm_sensors).

I can get to the disk utilities on the flash drive, I've completely erased it and reformatted it via Disk Utilities, but it still won't install.

Shaocaholica posted:

There should be a dozen local places you can take it to that will thoroughly clean it out for you and even apply new thermal paste.

I've already done that though. The local place I'd rather hit them in the face with the MacBook than let them work on it.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 2, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

spaced ninja posted:

You should be able to install any GPU drivers you want. I have an nvidia card in my Macbook Pro and just install the universal drivers and it works fine.

I wish. Very sadly, not the case. I can download any driver for ATI Radeon and when I try to install it it says it cannot find hardware or something.

I am on Win 8.1. Not sure if things are different on Win 7, etc...

When I google it, I find basically anyone talking about a similar situation getting the same errors as I. It just doesn't work... :\

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

spaced ninja posted:

Not if you have an AMD thingamabob. Those have unique device IDs not supported by the mainline video drivers.

Boot Camp comes with some driver from summer of 2014, and AMD's own site has a Boot Camp specific driver that starts with a 301.xx version number, which seems to indicate a special fork that was already months old when it came out last December.

You're welcome to try editing inf files, if you fancy running in test signing mode so you can self sign your drivers. You may even get the extra performance, but you won't get the 5K support for your shiny new Retina 5K iMac.

Also, the system isn't exactly the most stable at running really GPU heavy things. I've tried the latest release of the demoscene thing, mercury's Timeless, which manages to trigger TDR three times, before finally failing the demo back to desktop mode, with nothing displaying in the window while the music continues to play to the end. I know it's not really an AMD friendly demo, but it shouldn't outright crash the drivers repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
On my Macbook, in Mail, when I select my primary (Gmail) account, Mail immediately hangs. It shows me the list of mails, but not the content of the selected mail.
This is independent of the selected mail, or of Gmail. I can open the same mail, also from the Gmail account, on my iMac (also in Mail). When I delete the specific mail and restart, so it has another mail selected at startup, it also hangs.

Any ideas? I guess the worst-case scenario would be removing and re-enabling my Gmail account inbox ...