Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

GrimSqueaker posted:

Also, that has never been a hard rule. A bit of a guideline, depending on circumstances.

That's why it's considered a convention. Even Armstrong waited on Ullrich previously which was then repaid when Armstrong was brought down by a spectator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kzm-Y4XaIc

African AIDS cum posted:

When is the queen stage?

It was yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How much does head temp affect performance? I noticed Aru had an aero helmet on for a stage that would be so much grinding. Granted the average speed was over 20mph, but I'd imagine comfort on the climbs might yield more than aero on the descents.

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011

Pocket posted:

That's why it's considered a convention. Even Armstrong waited on Ullrich previously which was then repaid when Armstrong was brought down by a spectator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kzm-Y4XaIc

Yeah, and that was Armstrong waving his dick and saying "Look, I can wait for you and still kick your rear end". It was a 'friendly' gesture with a bite, just like his 'gift' to Pantani on Mt. Ventoux. People like Hinault would never do such a thing.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

So we are in agreement?

Can't wait for the tour, the people on the side of the road are the best.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Anyone got an English Eurosport stream? My usual ones are all in French or showing tennis today for some reason.

/edit: Oh wait, the tennis was just way overrunning on Eurosport and they've swapped now.

peanut- fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 28, 2015

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

GrimSqueaker posted:

Yeah, and that was Armstrong waving his dick and saying "Look, I can wait for you and still kick your rear end". It was a 'friendly' gesture with a bite, just like his 'gift' to Pantani on Mt. Ventoux. People like Hinault would never do such a thing.

Hinault, the guy that was ostensibly working for Greg LeMond and yet was attacking him during the Tour?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Payback is a bitch :lol:

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

Contador always pays his debts.

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011
Now that is karma.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

b needs to chill for the Tour

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Contador :stare:

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011

Xir posted:

Hinault, the guy that was ostensibly working for Greg LeMond and yet was attacking him during the Tour?

Yes Hinault would try to backstab you in order to win, not giving gifts to appear grand.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

i wonder if Contador is trying to pad his advantage ahead of the big mountain days ahead so he can just sit in.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

GrimSqueaker posted:

Yes Hinault would try to backstab you in order to win, not giving gifts to appear grand.

I think my issue is that this isn't admirable either and I feel like "at least he isn't Armstrong" is a damning with faint praise.

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011

Xir posted:

I think my issue is that this isn't admirable either and I feel like "at least he isn't Armstrong" is a damning with faint praise.

And my issue is that 'Don't attack the leader when he's in trouble' is only a guideline and the Armstrong crew tried to pretend it was a hard rule when it suited him, like holding it over Contador who he couldn't beat on the road.

What Astana did on Tuesday was understandable, but not classy. They could have accepted payback, and now Contador is letting his legs speak.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Best Giro stage this year so far. Phil Gil solo attack, Contador unexpected attack, Astana eating their shoes, so glad I stayed at home this morning.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Happy for The Phil.

Missed Contador gapping Astana. What happened?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Astana was caught up behind a crash on a narrow road.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paddyb posted:

Happy for The Phil.

Missed Contador gapping Astana. What happened?

Karma.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Check the tweet inrng retweeted. I'm on my phone so this is the best I can do.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Pocket posted:

Check the tweet inrng retweeted. I'm on my phone so this is the best I can do.

the Inner Ring retweeted
Mikkel Condé v2.0 @mrconde ˇ 1h 1 hour ago
Juul Jensen: "When we heard about the crash, we were already going fast. When we heard Landa was caught behind, we went even faster." #giro

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Great pics, fjelltorsk! Good to see the mighty Spartacus back on the bike. Also nice to see Contador's unnecessary attack. Call me crazy, but I don't think Froome would've done the same.

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
I am so LOVING Contador's post-race interviews. We had uh, already planned to go fast. 'Cause Aru looked bad.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

i wonder if Contador is trying to pad his advantage ahead of the big mountain days ahead so he can just sit in.

Since the time trial he has had enough advantage to sit in every day and still win this Giro, which is more or less what I expected him to do since he's riding the Tour as well. Today was a lot of fun to watch but I think it was a bit rash of Contador to spend an hour and a half riding hard just to put another minute in to guys who are already well beaten.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

Russian Bear posted:

I bet it was Tinkov's idea

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I want Bert to start calling out Nibali in his interviews WWF style.

YOU SEE WHAT I DID TO YOUR BOYS??! IM COMIN FOR YOU NOOB!

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Kruiswijk has been really impressive this Giro, too bad he lost so much at the start.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I was just thinking the same thing about Hesjedal

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Aru :stare:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Where was that effort for the last week?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

serious gaylord posted:

Where was that effort for the last week?

Blood probably got caught in the mail.

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

Not a chance for the breakaway today. Stage win, top 10 placings, fight for the KoM... should be a good one.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Lol all the Tinkov riders gone already.

"Eh, he'll be fine."

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

So glad I took a rest day to watch this stage!

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Commentators: "yes it's almost like Kuijswuijk and Hesjedal are on Contador's team"

*both attack the poo poo out of him until he blows chunks*

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
The first 30 seconds of the giro I watch and Contador gets dropped. All is well

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

That descent doesn't look terribly safe

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Fuckers putting ad break on the descent, all I wanted to watch was Contador do some flawless descending with the commentators muted :(

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

Perhaps Tinkoff should've signed some actual mountain domestiques instead of Sagan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Good boy Zakarin, he's refusing to work with Landa