Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Sharkie posted:

Yeah it's not radically different than a lot of writing that was being done in feminist circles in the 70s, but it isn't well written or explained and he doesn't get into a substantive discussion of how things can be changed, which other people writing on the subject did.I get the impression he was just repeating au courant arguments instead of thinking deeply about it. That being said it's still dangerous and uh, problematic that he readily adopts a position that women have, as a class, universally had the same reaction to messed up and toxic gender roles; it's neither correct nor wise to say that all women fantasize about rape. And really he should have known that even then.

He did not actually say that. I don't know if you're deliberately misconstruing it or if you're being tripped up by the ambiguity between generalized indefinite article noun phrases and specific or hypothetical indefinite article noun phrases ("a dog has four legs" = all dogs, "a dog is in my yard" = some particular dog). He is asking the reader to think of a hypothetical man and woman having these thoughts, and while that's unclear at first, it gets pretty obvious as you keep reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mdemone posted:

The real world has become indistinguishable from the Onion. Poe's Law is obsolete, having become a tautology.

Then again, "Richard Nixon segues from political scandal to talk about family dog" also sounds like an Onion headline.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
O'Malley hired the Obama campaign's "Hispanic Media Director."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adriancarrasquillo/omalley-hires-former-obama-hispanic-media-director-for-senio?utm_term=.xd2LbB82Rd

Sorry for Buzzfeed link.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Joementum posted:

The Hillary Clinton comic book wonders if maybe Bill could get murdered by prostitutes in the White House who then take out Secret Service agents on their way to Hillary's bedroom.

Just something Americans should keep in mind when they're voting next year.

I was hesitant before but this just solidified my vote for Hillary.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Christie just got served.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Joementum posted:

Wait, really?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Joementum posted:

What exactly is going on here? Is that really a process server or are you making a joke that's going over my head?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
According to the reporter with North Jersey's The Record who took the picture the woman said it's a Federal summons.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

I'm not seeing a dance troop or a boombox anywhere...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
There has to be video of this, please let there be video of this.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

This is, like, perfect timing on her part.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/subverzo/status/604368035017838593

https://twitter.com/subverzo/status/604368713287127040

This person is claiming it's a publicity stunt for some bullshit.

So I guess we'll have to wait and see.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Joementum posted:

John Podesta in a pantsuit t-shirt.

Drudge, keepin' it classy:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

GalacticAcid posted:

Unfortunately this seems far more plausible.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
thats just going to help him lol

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Gyges posted:

Probably not, that'd take way too much time that he could be spending at the gym.

This is how I picture Rand Paul :awesomelon:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

In this clownshow of a GOP primary, I realized that I miss Herman Cain. Like I unironically miss that man and wish he would re-enter. He just really wanted to be the Pokemaster and I appreciate that

Someone post smile.gif for me tia

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

DOOP posted:

In this clownshow of a GOP primary, I realized that I miss Herman Cain. Like I unironically miss that man and wish he would re-enter. He just really wanted to be the Pokemaster and I appreciate that

god bless

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

GalacticAcid posted:

Does seem more likely to be a stunt. Usually documents like that are sealed and given the fact that Christie could just decline the summons.

On one hand the media doesn't need to make a big deal about the summons since he would be in court anyway. On the other hand one of the best ways to serve a summons to a politician is to pretend you are a supporter at a rally. Honestly conflicted on this one.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

The Hillary Clinton comic book wonders if maybe Bill could get murdered by prostitutes in the White House who then take out Secret Service agents on their way to Hillary's bedroom.

Breitbart is just :flashfap: in his grave.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DOOP posted:

Me too. :sympathy:

It's not going to be the same with Stewart leaving and Colbert gone, anyway. End of an era.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Yep we should take someone's age and the social context of the time period into account before we judge them for actions in the past.

(Unless you're Mitt Romney)

Physically bullying people is very different from a poorly done thought experiment.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

This seems to be ignoring everything we've learned about the Secret Service in the past few years. No way a hooker wouldn't be thoroughly searched several times on her way to Bill.

Now a drunk guy flying a gyrocopter onto the front lawn? That's someone who could make a serious play for the residence.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Gyges posted:

This seems to be ignoring everything we've learned about the Secret Service in the past few years. No way a hooker wouldn't be thoroughly searched several times on her way to Bill.

"Sorry Ma'am, but we're going to have to do a cavity search."

*saxophone music starts playing*

"Knock it off, Bill."

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Physically bullying people is very different from a poorly done thought experiment.

A man writing about female rape fantasies in a normalizing way is a "thought experiment", not something that supports and encourages rape culture.

That man is also a Democrat running for President.

These are completely unconnected facts.

Progressives have no inherent double standard.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

A man writing about female rape fantasies in a normalizing way is a "thought experiment", not something that supports and encourages rape culture.

You are deliberately misreading it, unless you think "A dog is in my yard" means that being in my yard is a general property of dogs. Maybe you're that stupid.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

funtax posted:

Drudge, keepin' it classy:

Just asking questions.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

I will forever prefer:

Joementum posted:

:suspense: Well then. That's.... amazing.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
No way would Bill have the bad taste to gently caress Ann Coulter

Caros
May 14, 2008

Iowa Snow King posted:

Speaking of skeletor, are we allowed to make fun of her physical appearance now that she's gone on record saying her immigration plan would: ‘Not Admit Overweight Girls’? Or is that still uncouth? I'm asking for a friend.

She also refused a hug from an immigrant woman which prompted the whole thing.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Caros posted:

Speaking of skeletor, are we allowed to make fun of her physical appearance now that she's gone on record saying her immigration plan would: ‘Not Admit Overweight Girls’? Or is that still uncouth? I'm asking for a friend.

I wasn't aware Ann Coulter was still alive. I thought that combination of vodka and diet pills she lives on would have killed her by now.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Iowa Snow King posted:

Caros posted:

I'd say it's best to focus on the shittiness of her opinions rather than her looks. There is plenty of the former, and the latter is in bad taste, with a whiff of implied misogyny. :shrug:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

I wasn't aware Ann Coulter was still alive. I thought that combination of vodka and diet pills she lives on would have killed her by now.

Never underestimate the power of the dark side.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'd say it's best to focus on the shittiness of her opinions rather than her looks. There is plenty of the former, and the latter is in bad taste, with a whiff of implied misogyny. :shrug:

That is pretty much my opinion as well, I just thought it was amusing that Coulter herself decided to show a new facet to her hatred.

Reaganomicon
Jan 31, 2004

Flush please

Caros posted:

She is evil and I think it's okay to be evil towards evil people IMO :shrug:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
No one says it's in bad taste to make fun of Ted Cruz's looks, but yeah there are better ways to insult someone.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

And as soon as mainstream liberal/Democratic politicians start mocking Republican women for their looks, you let me know--because that is what would constitute a double standard.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Speaking of the progressive double standard, now all three GOP House Speakers that contributed to the Clinton impeachment have been embroiled in sex scandals.

Although, in fairness to Livingston and Gingrich, only Hastert is a rapist.

Anyway back to 2016, the funniest part from this Politico piece from this morning:

quote:

[on Rand's foreign policy]Going a step further, an Iowa Republican added, “It solidifies his ceiling at under 10 percent. Every day that passes it appears that Rand Paul should be Hillary Clinton’s [Democratic] primary opponent.”

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Hey, can you turn off the stupid, because you're not fooling anyone, for just a moment? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

• Locked thread