Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Also, bear in mind that the Swiss are already conducting their own investigation in the USDOJ's wake and the British government has already made noises about siccing their Serious Fraud Office (I think that's what the BBC story called it) on FIFA. If the US can bite a big chunk out of FIFA, I'd expect several other nations to start a feeding frenzy.

The SFO investigation has been going on for months. They're just joining up with the Americans and Swiss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Powercrazy posted:

So when this investigation implicates that literally every single team in the EUFA is guilty of the same charges what happens? Does the corruption become de facto acceptable and then after the head of FIFA gets taken down it just goes back to business as usual?

Call me a cynic, but how is this going to improve anything at all? Without strong oversight and the willingness of countries to "take their ball and go home" from corrupt organizations, we are just swapping one hyper-capitalist organization with another.

Yes, but it'll also probably be less overt going forward, assuming these guys end up in jail for a long time. There'll still be corruption, but probably not literal bags of cash being handed out to delegates for their vote.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xandu posted:

Yes, but it'll also probably be less overt going forward, assuming these guys end up in jail for a long time. There'll still be corruption, but probably not literal bags of cash being handed out to delegates for their vote.

From what I've been reading, this is also kinda what most fans expect/realistically want. World Cup in Russia, probably corrupt but basically fine. World Cup in Qatar, :frogout:

Edit: Count Brazil and Costa Rica in, too.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 29, 2015

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Coldbird posted:

What they mean specifically when they're asking 'what RICO means' is how and why making these charges against the mid level executives somehow constitutes a threat to Blatter or even FIFA as an organization.

The mobster types that RICO was intended to break usually use a "boss and flunkie" business model, where the actual idiots doing the crimes are expendable and busting any number of them will result in the organization just replacing them faster than the police can bust them. The mob bosses stay in the background, just giving orders in a way that can't be traced easily, collecting the proceeds while letting their flunkies go to jail, along with promises of advancement in the organization if they're loyal (or just death threats if they're not).

RICO acknowledges that the bosses rarely can be charged directly with the evidence available from the crimes themselves. It allows law enforcement that can show the crimes are consistently coming from one organization to threaten those flunkies with an especially horrible fate, but also the promise of a reduced sentence or even immunity if they testify against their otherwise almost impervious boss. While this is pretty standard law enforcement practice generally, RICO gives it teeth terrifying enough to turn mobsters against their own even knowing what their associates may do afterward.

Invoking RICO means the DOJ isn't just charging those few, it means those are the few they have definite evidence on, but they also have evidence that the organization as a whole is corrupt (likely based on what they got from the US guy) and they believe by offering reduced sentencing to those arrested that they will be able to drive charges against everybody involved in anything illegal. There's no real point in going to such enormous effort and expense to the taxpayers without a firm belief that there is more than enough Bad Stuff going on inside FIFA to put away the whole crew, they're just not sure which specific crimes they have record of can be attributed to which individuals.

Still wondering what they found in all those documents and computers that were seized in the raids, but that may not come out for a while. This entire thing may play out for months, even years; US criminal proceedings, especially those this large, aren't known to move at warp speed.

The only surprise is how sloppy the people they're catching have reportedly been. The guy who made millions and just sat in a 24k/co condo in New York, never even bothering to file fake tax returns? The FIFA exec whose US immigration form listed him as a decorative rock salesman with severe dementia? It sounds like they just didn't bother with hiding poo poo because they thought FIFA's multinational status meant they were untouchable, and up until now they sort of were. If the rest follows that line, the thing could collapse quickly as soon as someone serious really investigates it.

Short version: Charging the low and mid level types first is how RICO is meant to proceed, if it works expect to see more charges against possibly even Blatter, but it may be weeks or months.

Yeah, one of the big ideas behind using RICO is catching the high-level guys who are so deeply rooted in, but completely out of the illegal side by now as to be untouchable until you link all the crime to those beneath and connected to them. In a large organization someone will always turn when facing a harsh sentence, and then in turn, maybe others.

I'd love to see how this plays out though, because it's been common knowledge to so many familiar with FIFA that there is all kinds of corruption. These guys have all the hallmarks of a mafia-like organization, but they weren't getting pinched for years to figure out how to go about it as cleverly. I hope they crumble.

If only the feds seemed to have the same interest in going after certain other wealthy and powerful loose organizations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Xandu posted:

It's funny; people probably think when they read that, that this is just exaggerating for effect and nobody went full bugs bunny handing out bags with dollar symbols on them while winking conspiratorically.

This is actually a good mental picture of just how loving obvious this scheme was; these guys have been doing this for so long and have felt so goddamned untouchable doing it it wouldn't surprise me for a nanosecond if these people were literally delivered big bags of cash by prostitutes covered in cocaine. At special award ceremonies. Completely shameless.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A Winner is Jew posted:

Think of it like the SEC/FTC levying fines is the UN issuing strongly worded statements on a country, the DOJ bringing charges is the US invading a country, and the DOJ using RICO is the US saying YOLO and nuking every square inch of a country.

To old to stand trial isn't something that actually happens in the US. We try people as young as 12 like they're adults if the crime is serious enough and while we might let someone out of prison if they're severely old that only happens days before they die. The US absolutely does not give a gently caress if you're too old/young to stand trial.

Yeah, one thing that foreigners may be having a difficult time realizing is that if the DOJ is going after you you really are hosed. The system is massively unfair even against people who are actually innocent. When you're this guilty and this stupid, too? It's over.

These guys are getting to see the "highest incarceration rate in the world" side of America. These white corporate executives are about to be legally tried as if they were poor minorities.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
As expected, Sepp got elected again. I guess decades long corruption under his watch isn't enough to warrant some change.

quote:

In his victory speech, Mr Blatter said: "I am the president now, the president of everybody."

Sounds like a cartoon villain.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32937639

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Eezee posted:

As expected, Sepp got elected again. I guess decades long corruption under his watch isn't enough to warrant some change.

Sounds like a cartoon villain.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32937639

It feels like they just want to double down and pretend like all is well or else look guilty. I find it really difficult not to think the DOJ timed this perfectly only to shatter them.

Hell the only other option was a prince (intentionally not capitalized). Though you do have to wonder if the member of a monarchy in the year 2015 was actually the vastly better choice.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
He really doesn't have any idea how completely and totally hosed he is, does he?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I bet Loretta Lynch is really excited to be the first person to put a President of Everybody on ice.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

So, what happens if (when?) Blatter gets arrested?

Does one of the VP's take over? Given the way things are going, what if they've all been arrested as well?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

He really doesn't have any idea how completely and totally hosed he is, does he?

Look how arrogant John 'I bet ya 3 to 1 I beat this' Gotti was before he was put away for life.

hobotrashcanfires posted:

It feels like they just want to double down and pretend like all is well or else look guilty. I find it really difficult not to think the DOJ timed this perfectly only to shatter them.

Realistically the timing probably has more to do with Lynch being confirmed as the new AG since IIRC she was the former head of the office running this case.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 29, 2015

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Blinks77 posted:

Does one of the VP's take over? Given the way things are going, what if they've all been arrested as well?

Given the way things are going, he could well stay in charge :)

There's probably something in FIFA's bylaws about it. Probably a temporary appointment and then a new election.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Look how arrogant John 'I bet ya 3 to 1 I beat this' Gotti was before he was put away for life.

Realistically the timing probably has more to do with Lynch being confirmed as the new AG since IIRC she was the former head of the office running this case.

You remember correctly.

quote:

In was in her role as district attorney that her involvement in the Fifa investigation began. Over the course of five years in Brooklyn - during which she weathered criticism for striking a deal with HSBC that spared the bank from criminal charges over money laundering - a case against the football officials was pieced together.

"We always knew it was going to be a very large case," Ms Lynch told the New York Times.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

A Winner is Jew posted:

Fair point, it may just be beautifully fortuitous timing. I probably got too excited about the DOJ doing anything worthwhile against a major organization.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Blinks77 posted:

Given the scope of both the corruption and the investigation (and how RICO works), there may not BE non-arrested VPs left to take over by the time the DoJ is done.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
At this point if you are a FIFA official under indictment you should spill everything ASAP, these deals are in extremely limited quantity. HSBC already got the sweet deal for tipping off the DOJ and providing records. That's enough to indict these people and definitely have them see jail time. Historically, anyone who rolls at this point is looking at a 15 year sentence instead of 30 sorta thing.

Despatcher
Nov 26, 2007
Generously Syndromed
Can they really secure a 30 year jail term in the states for a Football association president/representative from another nation? Seems unlikely.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Despatcher posted:

Can they really secure a 30 year jail term in the states for a Football association president/representative from another nation? Seems unlikely.

Unreasonably long sentences stemming from overreaching criminal statutes? That's practically the national anthem.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Despatcher posted:

They loving broke Mafia dons with RICO. Blatter's no Gambino.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SlipUp posted:

At this point if you are a FIFA official under indictment you should spill everything ASAP, these deals are in extremely limited quantity. HSBC already got the sweet deal for tipping off the DOJ and providing records. That's enough to indict these people and definitely have them see jail time. Historically, anyone who rolls at this point is looking at a 15 year sentence instead of 30 sorta thing.

Pretty much. When DoJ declared RICO on your rear end the point is to squeal fastest and loudest, that way you might actually see the light of day again. If you're not fast enough the DoJ will pat you on the head and lock you away just as long because you didn't bring anything new to the table.

I'm pretty sure FIFA's remaining execs are in denial. They've lived completely untouchable in a bubble for so long they literally cannot comprehend a force big and strong enough to take them down legally. Sure, a few might fall but that's the price of doing business, but nothing will touch Blatter or the majority of them besides maybe a slap on the wrist. They don't understand that the DoJ declaring RICO is a bit like the Romans declaring that the Carthaginians could use a bit more sodium in their diet.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

This situation is where the "prisoner's dilemma" comes from, and it's not a coincidence that if you're only playing it once the right move is always mash betray as fast as possible.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Basically RICO is the nuclear option if the nuclear option was the planet-cracking superbomb from Beneath the Planet of the Apes.

The heavens declare the glory of the Bomb, and the firmament showeth His handiwork.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWPvKxSA7nw

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 30, 2015

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Every banker on Wall Street is watching this and laughing.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
Am I reading that wiki article about the RICO statute right? If these people want bail they're going to have to cough up triple the amount they're accused or enriching themselves with? As in collectively they'd have to cough up 480 million dollars?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

VideoTapir posted:

If they are, they're whistling past the graveyard. There but for the grace of Capital go they.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from the sports subforum:

Squinky v2.0 posted:

New NYTimes article offers a few details I hadn't heard

-- Investigation is the result of two separate cases that eventually lead to the same people, one from the IRS involving unpaid taxes from Chuck Blazer and an unrelated one from the FBI in New York into Russian organized crime. Has been a joint investigation for 4 years.

-- They sat on the case and made the arrests in Zurich because they only had to deal with Swiss authorities instead of coordinating arrests and extradition across 7 countries.

-- The chief of the IRS unit running their part of the investigation goes on the record saying they "strongly believe there are other people and entities involved in criminal acts” which sounds like more arrests coming down the line

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Despatcher posted:

These guys they already have. There's no bail going to be set (Typical in RICO cases) because of extreme flight risk. If someone else took a bribe and were fortunate enough not to get picked up in the initial raid, they could conceivably flee to a country that doesn't have extradition, and hopefully the diplomatic arm of their government will try negotiating something. Of course the Swiss and the Brits smell blood in the water and have their own charges they want to bring now, so you can assume Interpol is in on this now so the EU is a no go, and everywhere there is extradition with the USA or the EU. Oh and there has been zero indication any of these guy's home country is willing to go to bat for them, a lot of these guys might even end up arrested if they go home.

So basically flee to Qatar and hope they set you up with a sweet penthouse instead of making you a slave laborer to die an indignant death on the construction site of the stadium you commissioned through fraud for a quick buck.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Despatcher posted:

Not only will they secure it, but it's very likely that anyone brought in after this initial round of indictments is looking at a minimum of 30 years even if they presented air tight video evidence of Blatter killing an entire village.

All the US goons talking about how insanely powerful the RICO act and that anyone that's corrupt in FIFA's leadership going to get the scales of justice shoved up their rear end is isn't doing it from an "America! gently caress Yeah!" standpoint, we're doing it because the RICO act is no poo poo just as ruthless and overreaching as the Patriot act and Alien and Sedition acts only without anyone seriously having bemoaned it ever and a very defined legal interpretation of the act so that prosecutors invoking RICO know exactly what they need to present to a judge to make those charges stick giving the DOJ carte blanche to literally go Kaiser Sozey on your rear end.

VideoTapir posted:

Sadly bankers and lawyers write the laws which is why there isn't a version of RICO for them.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 30, 2015

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Cythereal posted:

Russian organized crime? This poo poo is about to get crazy.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Gorau posted:

Am I reading that wiki article about the RICO statute right? If these people want bail they're going to have to cough up triple the amount they're accused or enriching themselves with? As in collectively they'd have to cough up 480 million dollars?

Yes, but that's only if they don't consider you a flight risk. There's no bail at all in that case. These guys will almost definitely be considered a flight risk.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

A Winner is Jew posted:

Sadly bankers and lawyers write the laws which is why there isn't a version of RICO for them.

Being threatened with RICO was actually one of the reasons Drexel Burnham Lambert went under so it wouldnt be wholly unprecedented but yes not in today's day and age.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 30, 2015

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Despatcher posted:

As I understand it: They consider him to have committed a crime in the United States, by virtue of organising fraud and bribery there, and that crime carries certain punishments if he is brought to justice. Actually arresting him depends on the cooperation of local police, since they can't invade Switzerland to grab him themselves, but the Swiss police are cooperating since they think he's guilty as sin too.

It's definitely a powerful law and an example of America's global reach, but it makes sense if you consider him as the head of an organised crime operation that has worked extensively in the US. It wouldn't be crazy if a Mexican cartel honcho was brought to trial in the United States with the cooperation of the Mexican police, if the US had more appropriate laws or a more trustworthy judiciary or some such.

e: all this assumes they'll actually indict him though, which I'll believe when I see it even though I know it's possible now

Peel fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 30, 2015

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
SWISS POLICE! GRUEZI!!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Coldbird posted:

The only surprise is how sloppy the people they're catching have reportedly been. The guy who made millions and just sat in a 24k/co condo in New York, never even bothering to file fake tax returns? The FIFA exec whose US immigration form listed him as a decorative rock salesman with severe dementia? It sounds like they just didn't bother with hiding poo poo because they thought FIFA's multinational status meant they were untouchable, and up until now they sort of were. If the rest follows that line, the thing could collapse quickly as soon as someone serious really investigates it.

Short version: Charging the low and mid level types first is how RICO is meant to proceed, if it works expect to see more charges against possibly even Blatter, but it may be weeks or months.

Yeah it's kind of funny how the origin of the whole investigation is that the flashy ultrarich guy didn't even bother to file income taxes for years. That's hilarious

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Cythereal posted:

Oh great now it involves the Russian mob.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cythereal posted:

This is why you always pay your goddamned taxes, people.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Lid posted:

Seal Team Six extract Putin from the Kremlin to face justice... for international sporting events related bribery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lid posted:

Because of course it does. Also no wonder Putin is throwing a fit, this is delicious :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread