Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Grouchio posted:

So what happens now?

Drone strikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

El Hefe posted:

Meanwhile in Venezuela

*crickets sfx*

Meanwhile in Paraguay, CONMEBOL can't be searched by law enforcement because a presidential decree forbids it.

CONMEBOL best CON

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Dirk Pitt posted:

Drone strikes

In'sallah brother

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Eduardo Li, besides the inquiry by the government, is also being investigated for tax evasion now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
900 posts since I went to work, nice

We all knew Blatter would get reelected, hopefully this means he remains Target #1 for all these investigations though.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

advanced statsman posted:

Mods give Koesj the official Blatter potm

GD took my drat av after the world cup toxx so it'd only be fair :mad:

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Grouchio posted:

So what happens now?

The USA has the same status and prestige with FIFA as Ebola does with the African Cup of Nations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Clit Avoider posted:

The USA has the same status and prestige with FIFA as Ebola does with the African Cup of Nations.

We didn't before?

Not a joke, actually asking.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Koesj posted:

Quoting a fat swiss fraud

very nice

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Koesj posted:

:golfclap:

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

Polidoro posted:

Meanwhile in Paraguay, CONMEBOL can't be searched by law enforcement because a presidential decree forbids it.

CONMEBOL best CON

Gotta thank el Mariscal for that. He and Leoz were best buddies and probably bathed in blood together a couple of times.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
We all knew that Blatter would be elected as president. As long as he wasn't forcefully removed from service, he would get elected.

I would not be surprised if the UEFA said "gently caress the WC" or somebody from the US indicted Sepp Blatter. That could still happen.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
New NYTimes article offers a few details I hadn't heard

-- Investigation is the result of two separate cases that eventually lead to the same people, one from the IRS involving unpaid taxes from Chuck Blazer and an unrelated one from the FBI in New York into Russian organized crime. Has been a joint investigation for 4 years.

-- They sat on the case and made the arrests in Zurich because they only had to deal with Swiss authorities instead of coordinating arrests and extradition across 7 countries.

-- The chief of the IRS unit running their part of the investigation goes on the record saying they "strongly believe there are other people and entities involved in criminal acts” which sounds like more arrests coming down the line

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Frankly given how they were at the heart of all this I'm surprised how little coverage the actual delegates and how they actually ended ended up in the positions they hold. The voting pool is totally stacked to back the incumbent and the faction in FIFA he represents but there was very little journalism around how with 209 ostensibly independent national bodies that would turn out to be the case.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Furthermore

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
i've always been a sepp blatter fan, me

thank g-d the truth came out and the rightful heir to the fifa throne was re-elected

all others are just garbage naysayers

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Fucitol posted:

i've always been a sepp blatter fan, me

thank g-d the truth came out and the rightful heir to the fifa throne was re-elected

all others are just garbage naysayers

as much as i like his modding i dont think gravity daemon is responsible for re-electing ol sepp

THATCHER BRAINWASH
Mar 28, 2015

by Cowcaster
Sepp blatter, more like no rep(utation) and hes fat-ter

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Still lolling that blatter compared the length of his reign to the age of the universe.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Koesj posted:

tbp posted:

blatter : i wish that none of my cronies are able to compete with me for FIFA Presidency...

*finger on monkeys paw shrivels up*

having a hard time deciding which one is potm

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I just love how tax evasion can be used to prosecute bribery, even if you can't prove the actual bribing, since the bribed sure aint going to pay taxes on their dirty money.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

sincx posted:

I just love how tax evasion can be used to prosecute bribery, even if you can't prove the actual bribing, since the bribed sure aint going to pay taxes on their dirty money.

Which is dumb since the IRS can't proactively tell law enforcement about declared income from illegal activities.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Clit Avoider posted:

that's bullshit. we blew the lid off all the dumb bullshit you all always bitched about. that's gotta slide us up the rankings a bit.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Volkerball posted:

that's bullshit. we blew the lid off all the dumb bullshit you all always bitched about. that's gotta slide us up the rankings a bit.

:agreed: but I don't think that poster meant it as a slight to the USA. No other nation gave enough of a gently caress to try and to anything about the problem.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Volkerball posted:

So far you have only caught some small time latinamerican/caribbean crooks which while appreciated, is not that impressive really. You need to get a big fish now or this will all be an anticlimactic disappointment.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
So is America's war on drugs more or less futile than its war on FIFA corruption? :v:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Well, for one, we've actually arrested a few ringleaders this time!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Well, for one, we've actually arrested a few ringleaders this time!

And you weren't even the ones who put them in power in the first place!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Drogadon posted:

So far you have only caught some small time latinamerican/caribbean crooks which while appreciated, is not that impressive really. You need to get a big fish now or this will all be an anticlimactic disappointment.

It's been like 4 days.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
They've already said they're going after more dudes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/30/s...v=top-news&_r=0

quote:

Fourteen people have been indicted in bribery and kickback schemes linked to corruption in the highest echelons of FIFA. And United States authorities say more charges are all but certain.

“I’m fairly confident that we will have another round of indictments,” said Richard Weber, the chief of the I.R.S. unit in charge of criminal investigations.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Seltzer posted:

It's been like 4 days.

What is this notion of time? Time is infinite as we slice it up. I feel the time I have spent waiting for America to kill Sepp has been infinite.

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp

sincx posted:

They'll often hit mobsters etc with tax evasion because its piss easy to prove compared to corruption(reported income low+poo poo tons of houses cars bankaccounts=tax evasion) , its a federal crime, and you'll be off the street for years.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
Looks like Sepp is gonna push to take away World Cup Spots from UEFA and Conmebol and award them to Oceania, the AFC and Asia due to them not voting for him.

If so this seems like a nail in the coffin for the organization. I'm wondering if the break off organization includes every single member state that has ever won a World Cup if they can sue FIFA to obtain the name back.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Lmbo at people saying it is America's responsibility to clean up this cesspool of an organization.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Giving a whole spot to Oceania? Jesus

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dirk Pitt posted:

Lmbo at people saying it is America's responsibility to clean up this cesspool of an organization.

we're intervening iaw the responsibility to protect. fifa is now american jurisdiction.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Dirk Pitt posted:

it's not, but at least this one time they should finish one of their invasions successfully imho

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

oldman posted:

Giving a whole spot to Oceania? Jesus

If only it didn't just default to NZ, I'd loving love American Samoa in a World Cup

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Kick Australia back to Oceania imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Bogan Krkic posted:

If only it didn't just default to NZ, I'd loving love American Samoa in a World Cup

Same it would be huge for the fa'fanaine community of which I'm part