Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Jedi425 posted:

I am curious about which version people prefer. I know the mods in the OP are for the GBA version, right? Since I've never played FFV prior to my Fiesta run, I'd love to know what I'm in for if I use different versions.

Well, here's the pro and cons of the different versions:

SFC: It's the original, for one. You get the best graphics and sound of the lot, but the quality of life is worse: there's no autodashing, and the translation is, while very good for its time, dry and not quite matching up with recent translations (Cure3 instead of Curaga, Doom instead of Death, that sort of thing). Notably, there's no way to play it in anything but Japanese without :files:. This may or may not be a dealbreaker.

PS1: Same sound quality, similar music quality, same graphics as the SFC version, but oh god the loading times. I mean, they're not strictly bad, but they're on the standard of other PS1 RPGs but without the swirling and fading and camera panning to mask it. The translation is the worst of the lot, but it's not in comprehensible, just a lot of really iffy decisions. It's got a lot of availability: aside from the original PS1 Anthology disc, it's also on PSN.

GBA: Worse sound quality then the original, by a lot. There's a patch for this but this only applies to an emulated version. The interface and battle screens are reorganized to fit the GBA's resolution. It's not a problem, but it is a difference. It's got the best translation, by far, and the terms used it in are the standard ones in Final Fantasy today. Notable downsides include dramatic slowdown during the final boss battle, and the original cart isn't the easiest to find.

iOS/Android: I'm not as familiar with this one, as I haven't played it, but I'll try. The sound is SNES quality (ie excellent) but the graphics are...eh. Some are amazing in a higher resolution, some...are a bit lazy. There's a fast forward autobattle feature to automatically repeat your last action that some people get all hot and bothered for, and the translation is the same as the GBA version. Obviously, availability isn't an issue as you can just buy it off of the store for your preferred device thingy.

Most notably are bugs and gameplay fixes. From SFC to GBA, they're mostly consistent. Vampire got a bug in the Advance version to hit and heal for (MaxHP - CurrentHP) instead of half of that value, which makes a couple of enemies mildly more annoying and your Blue Mages that much stronger. iOS/Android has a lot more stuff changed, and if anyone has a list of the really Fiesta relevant stuff that would be nice.

For myself, I prefer the translated SFC version, but that's because that's what I played first and the music/graphics quality is a huge deal to me (even with the music fix patch, the GBA version is way too bright and washed out). For most people, I'd suggest the GBA or mobile versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
translated SFC for life

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Trasson posted:

iOS/Android has a lot more stuff changed, and if anyone has a list of the really Fiesta relevant stuff that would be nice.
From what I've read, the major stuff is:

* Gaia's check is no longer level-based, making Gaia one of the most ridiculous abilities in the game
* Mineuchi works as intended now (paralyze + half damage attack)
* Calm only works on magic beasts now (no more Omega)
* Kick ignores row
* Vampire fixed + misses on Heavy targets
* Bee Swarm (!Animals) poisons
* Power Drink fixed
* Many autohit abilities no longer autohit/ignore evade: most if not all % HP attacks, Death Potion, Dark Sigh, etc
* Twin Lance properly double attacks with (most?) attack abilities
* Defender no longer casts Protect
* Mirage Vest no longer refreshes
* Berserk is no longer entirely random (targets from front to back)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I don't suppose the GBA Sound patch + FFVA Balance Mod patch are compatible?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Counterpoint: Why the PS1 translation rocks.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mega64 posted:

I honestly still can't believe that Square released a parody-script version of FFV back in the PS1 era.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

loving :lol::lol::lol:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I think the GBA sound patch will work on an actual handheld if you're running it off a flash cart. I got rid of mine long ago though so don't quote me on that.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Chaotic Neutral posted:

* Defender no longer casts Protect

I understand all the other things, as they were fixes to actual bugs, but why did they change this?

You forgot Adamngolem.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

You forgot Adamngolem.

There's at least ten or so goofy monster names, didn't want to flood the thread with screenshots (or go back through every update to find each goofy name).

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Fungah! posted:

someone should bug kewpuh and ask for a sticky once prereg opens up for real, see if we can drum up some more interest

just let me know when

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Re: natural run chat a page or two back,

Classic is the only way to make natural fun, since it limits the classes you can roll from to the where it'll still be challenging and different enough from a normal run.

But maybe I just found 3 knights and a thief fun for some reason.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mega64 posted:

Princess Salsa. It perfectly captures her spiciness.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kewpuh posted:

just let me know when

good man, will do

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

SubNat posted:

In theory they should be, but I've never done a full run with them together. Give it a whirl, if something breaks you can just continue the save with the regular version. Someone else tried combining them and I haven't heard any issues yet.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I want to play this game but I don't want the MC to be named Butz and I can't come up with anything help

khy fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 29, 2015

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

khy posted:

I want to play this game but I don't want the MC to be named Butz and I can't come up with anything help

Butts.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Question: Are we allowed to discuss what ROMs to use to play the game or is that :filez:
GBA is way better than the SNES one as a gaming experience.

If you're just hardcore blasting through the game the SNES version is better, mostly because GBA emulators aren't great for that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

khy posted:

Fartz

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Isn't Bartz the official translation?

^^^
Lol

khy
Aug 15, 2005

WHY did I think that asking on SomethingAwful would yield positive results

Oh yeah

It's because I'm really dumb

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

khy posted:

BUDZ.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I add in numbers to variations of "Poque" so I can differentiate easily between runs. Last year I had Poque, PoxTwo, PThree, and PqFour. I will go further this year!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

khy posted:

Oh yeah

Man, if you can't come up with a six character name that you like better than Butz, no one's going to be able to help you.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

khy posted:

Oh yeah

You've gotta be Butz or Butts. It's tradition.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

SubNat posted:

The sound patch I fiddled with requires some VGA settings fuckery and :filez: for GBA BIOS. I got a lot of audio popping and sub-par 20 fps that I had to wrestle with. I'm going to pass using the sound patch.

I did test it with the patched Fiesta client, no issues.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

khy posted:

Oh yeah

Then just to spite you, :siren: I HEREBY PLEDGE $1 PER GOON WHO POSTS A NEO DEATHSHOT WITH THE NAME "Fartz" :siren: ($50 max, once per goon, punctuation is fine [like Fartz! or Fartz?])

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Mega64 posted:

Then just to spite you, :siren: I HEREBY PLEDGE $1 PER GOON WHO POSTS A NEO DEATHSHOT WITH THE NAME "Fartz" :siren: ($50 max, once per goon, punctuation is fine)

ok

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Then just to spite you, :siren: I HEREBY PLEDGE $1 PER GOON WHO POSTS A NEO DEATHSHOT WITH THE NAME "Fartz" :siren: ($50 max, once per goon, punctuation is fine [like Fartz! or Fartz?])

i won't be able to name him anything but butz

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Sold.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mega64 posted:

And remaking this year's base save.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mega64 posted:

poo poo I was gonna try to find a name to make him a Karnak Truther.

QUEEN LIED SORCERERS DIED

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I always name him Galuf

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Mega64 posted:

Welp, that settles that one for me.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I was gonna go with Salsa but I'll Fartz for my first fiesta! :butt:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I pledge $5 for each Goon defeat of NED that happens before my first defeat of him in this fiesta. Upper limit $150.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Haven't registered yet, since Gilgabot's Chaos function seems to have broken again (it's been at 150 players for hours), but I'll be going #regChaos #BERSERKERRISK once I actually get the chance. The Fiesta's singlehandedly made FFV my most played FF game, and it still manages to surprise me. (SPEED TRAP :argh:) Hey, and maybe for once I'll get a Bard so that the Pyramid isn't a horrible slog like it normally is.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Mega64 posted:

a very stinky fiesta

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Mega64 posted:

Then just to spite you, :siren: I HEREBY PLEDGE $1 PER GOON WHO POSTS A NEO DEATHSHOT WI THE NAME "Fartz" :siren: ($50 max, once per goon, punctuation is fine [like Fartz! or Fartz?])

Looks like my super clever names of "What" and "I say" will have to wait a run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

The sound patch I fiddled with requires some VGA settings fuckery and :filez: for GBA BIOS. I got a lot of audio popping and sub-par 20 fps that I had to wrestle with. I'm going to pass using the sound patch.

I did test it with the patched Fiesta client, no issues.

Yeah, I'm having the same issues it seems, godawfully slow and a decent bit of audio crackle.

But mGBA is handling it really well, ( although I did load up a bios for it. )
There's a tiny bit of audio-crackling that's only noticeable if I listen for it, and it runs pretty nice and smooth.

mGBA is really new though.
Announced in December 2014 - new, I'll see if it works later on in the game.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 29, 2015

• Locked thread