Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spent an hour+ at work today reading the Bloodborne and Scholar of the first Sin wikis to plan my new routes :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Saki posted:

The whip is amazing against a lot of bosses. The r2 makes it easy to hit their weak points.

As for parrying it became kind of a crutch against certain bosses. Bsb, logarius and gehrman I basically just parried to death and didn't really learn their mechanics. Still enjoyed them though.

i agree that parrying logarius + gehrman makes them to easy. easier than gwyn.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Gwyn is a weird boss because he felt extremely difficult when I didn't parry him -- nonstop fast, sweeping attacks, in your face for 90% of the fight, strong grab attack when you try to block -- but laughably easy when I did start parrying him. It was like using a Mega Man boss's weakness, he just melts.

Meanwhile Gerhman's more like Artorias: faster and wilier than Gwyn, but there's enough of a lead-in and delay to his attacks that you could reasonably beat him without parrying, which is still there to take off pressure when you need a breather. That approach makes for a better fight, imo (even if Gwyn was great from a narrative perspective)

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

It's not worth it. You still gotta drop 40k souls on purchasing them which is like infinity at that stage in the game. I did it on a new char and realized my error.

Also you don't get the Hunter rune, which is by far the best covenant caryll rune.

i did it and farmed the 40k echoes without too much trouble. yeah it took a minute but having the blades of mercy before gascoigne is cool as hell

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm not sure what i'm going to do w/ this character. skill and bloodtinge seems like it'd be fun, with an eye towards ludwig's and the evenlyn.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
are there any utility spells that would make it getting to a certain low point of arcane? everyone in the games thread says everything or nothing, but i was thinking it'd be cool to get the magic weapon equivalent or something.

edit: looking at the wiki, it seems like 15 is pretty solid for stuff that seems like utility, like hunter's bone, and beast roar

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 29, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i think it's worth it to get empty phantasm spell. I didn't really use much else, and it's only 15 arcane so it doesn't take much to get it

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zodar posted:

Meanwhile Gerhman's more like Artorias: faster and wilier than Gwyn, but there's enough of a lead-in and delay to his attacks that you could reasonably beat him without parrying, which is still there to take off pressure when you need a breather. That approach makes for a better fight, imo (even if Gwyn was great from a narrative perspective)

gehrman is a little half and half, which is why i like him. you can't really parry artorias, and you can't block against him without cheese. gwyn is difficult to do any way that's not parrying (although i hate parrying, so i always kill him with doding). i feel like gehrman gives the ability to do both, which is cool.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Zodar posted:

Gwyn is a weird boss because he felt extremely difficult when I didn't parry him -- nonstop fast, sweeping attacks, in your face for 90% of the fight, strong grab attack when you try to block -- but laughably easy when I did start parrying him. It was like using a Mega Man boss's weakness, he just melts.

without parrying him, gwyn is my 2nd favourite fight after the fume knight in all of the games

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i wish fromsoft would stop including cheat codes like parrying gwyn in their games

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Fume knight and sir alonne both own. I'm running through bb as arcane now and I actually really like dark beast paarl. It's the first boss where the game really makes you be super aggressive and really satisfying.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

If anyone is up for some early coop tonight im stuck on Amelia after killing BSB

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i could assist w/ amelia, or if yikes was down to party we could all three do BSB. i have poor self control and maintain grudges against video game enemies, so i stayed up and killed him last night

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Saki posted:

Blades of mercy with burial blade as your alt weapon is a very fun setup. How does the pvp work? Is there a sl we should be aiming for? There's no agape ring equivalent is there?

no matter how high you go people can still invade you. if you want to invade others it seems to be 120 is where people stay, same as dark souls

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

i could assist w/ amelia, or if yikes was down to party we could all three do BSB. i have poor self control and maintain grudges against video game enemies, so i stayed up and killed him last night

Haha cool. I'm gonna be playing a lot of Splatoon for most of the day but I'll play tonight

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

My PSN name is Benny_Dorian. I'll be on for awhile so let me know when you wanna party!

Doing my first chalice right now this is pretty fun

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Benny D posted:

My PSN name is Benny_Dorian. I'll be on for awhile so let me know when you wanna party!

Doing my first chalice right now this is pretty fun

sent you a request

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
amelia down on my low sl char... only 1 death so far - to the brainsucker guarding the fire gem -________-

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
do people not summon for BSB? i've been sitting here for a while trying to get some insight and echoes

Dec 26, 2012

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Also you don't get the Hunter rune, which is by far the best covenant caryll rune.

yeah idg why the others are so terrible by comparison

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

do people not summon for BSB? i've been sitting here for a while trying to get some insight and echoes

In my experience BSB is a pain in the rear end to summon randomly for because lag makes his one leap forward move impossible to dodge. You will see the wind up and then he will teleport forward half a room in a blink and it's strong enough to one shot most assist summons

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i guess there's also the npc summon for him, and a lot of people prob. take that

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
ppl arent summoning cos bsb is the easiest boss in the game by a mile. u dont even need the dodge button to beat him without getting hit since u can just walk under the arm he attacks with. like the adjudicator in demon souls

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

I.N.R.I posted:

ppl arent summoning cos bsb is the easiest boss in the game by a mile. u dont even need the dodge button to beat him without getting hit since u can just walk under the arm he attacks with. like the adjudicator in demon souls
he and cleric beast kicked my rear end when i first started lol, meanwhile gascoigne gave me no problems at all

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

SM64Guy posted:

he and cleric beast kicked my rear end when i first started lol, meanwhile gascoigne gave me no problems at all

i died like 6 times to the witches of hemwick on my first playthrough lol ;_;

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

lol I died like 3 times because I would get snagged in the stun circle bc I had the camera turned the wrong way QQ

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

I.N.R.I posted:

i think i died once but i also helped people kill them a couple times before i ran in

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I died to vicar amelia like 20 times on my first run ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I died to all of the bosses loads of times across multiple playthroughs, because the game is challenging and you feel powerful when you overcome it

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the keeper of the old lords pwned me at least ten times in a row even though i understood the fight. the winning attempt was just a long brutal combo wailing against her with the whip while she had her back against the wall trying to buff herself that took half her health away. idk if i was underleveled or what. never gave me that much trouble again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I friended you Benny. I am playing dark souls and Bloodborne for the evening now

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

the keeper of the old lords pwned me at least ten times in a row even though i understood the fight. the winning attempt was just a long brutal combo wailing against her with the whip while she had her back against the wall trying to buff herself that took half her health away. idk if i was underleveled or what. never gave me that much trouble again

you can actually outrageously abuse that boss

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The most striking production difference between dark souls II and Bloodborne, besides the design aspects, is how awful DSII sounds in headphones. Everything is super loving tinny and annoying

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think I've died more on that jumping "shortcut" in the lost Bastille more than every other boss in the game combined. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be brought out back and shot.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

The most striking production difference between dark souls II and Bloodborne, besides the design aspects, is how awful DSII sounds in headphones. Everything is super loving tinny and annoying

the sound in bloodborne is insane, i like how some monsters are a bit louder and its discomforting as hell

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Me n Benny D just whooped BSB.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
So, fave music in this game? I love the hypaean gaol theme. And gehrmans.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Definitely hypaeon gaol.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the gaol theme reminds me of the first time you see ash lake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
first boss death of the lvl 10 run to rom last night -____- realy need to figure out how to dodge the arcane spell 100%. sprinting seems like the best way but u still get clipped every so often