Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Anoia posted:

Yes but the PVP one is even more of a ghost town than the PVE server.

The PvE server is actually pretty active from the few times I logged in. The PvP server is a literal ghost town though, like there won't be a single person in the capital cities in prime-time.

Reason posted:

Are there really only two servers left? Are there any goons playing anymore?

No one plays anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yay I get to play with my house again! (Literally the only thing I care about)

Yep.

Can anyone jog my memory on what the current decor placement limit is/was? Apparently the Free players get 1000 and subscribers get 2000, but I can't remember if that means peasants get the current limit reduced or of people who actually pay for this crap get double the limit.

Cause I would hate having to empty out my sweet bar cabinet house.

I quit like 6 months ago and I still sometimes wistfully think about some of the sweet loving housing plots I saw, but I had literally no desire to actually play the actual game :v:

I mean I don't really expect the game to make it another year after the F2P transition anyway, but I really do like housing.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 29, 2015

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

During Beta the decor placement limit was 300, then 600. On live it is currently 2000, so box owners/subscribers get the unrestricted thing while free players are limited to half.

But considering all the stuff that we made during beta with just 300, 1000 is super generous anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX8j_RF8x6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CebVPfiqMEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIppnk8rEZw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdPxm-9Ydd8

Those were all during beta I believe. (ps, a cock shaped fruit, you better start this video series up again once F2P hits because shits crazy now)

also posting rainbeer road because its the best house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcQqv8Dh-84

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
That neon beer road is funny.

Also, Eulogy made great houses/plots. I loved checking these out.

I'm a bit poo poo at interior decoration but I had some decent plots (basically got alts to 14 just to have more houses).

I was the guy who built a home in an oversized bar cabinet. Sadly these screenshots aren't entirely current and missing details like extra seating on top and an additional balcony on the left. Still, most people enjoyed that thing. It also took up the entire outside decor limit, essentially.

So yeah once this goes F2P I'll definitely be back to check out some plots and maybe tinker with mine.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 29, 2015

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

CoffeeBooze posted:

Trion's decline into an exploitative shovelware pusher really is shocking. When they released Rift they were probably one of the highest regarded MMO developers ever. I am really curious what kind of shake up happened that lead to its current state.

I thought that was their announced intention when the Defiance MMO became a thing. Rapid development, a brief period of subscription-based income, then a planned shift to F2P.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Ocanthus posted:

So what was so bad about Rift's store that it was considered 'exploitative'; was it only for raiding and above?

You can buy all gear. Gear slots are locked behind pay walls. Teleport anywhere at any time. Buff CDs were lengthened by 10 minutes for non-subs. I'm sure there's a lot of convenience poo poo locked behind paywalls too. There was a point where the best gear in the entire game was locked behind hundreds of dollars of purchases.

Their raid tiers have like 4 bosses each and 90% of those bosses are reused models. They literally reuse the same tiers and bosses from expansion to expansion. It's absolutely hilarious.

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 29, 2015

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
You could say it caused a Rift
:rimshot:

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Byolante posted:

+1 for guild wars 2 making female catpeople not look like women with cat ears.

EQ2 is also pretty good about this. The sarnak (dragon people) women can only be visually distinguished by height (female = taller), slightly larger eyes, and being less ornate (male model has little facial horns). And as far as I remember all their other beast/monster races, if nothing else, at least didn't do that dumb poo poo where the women were normal women but blue or whatever.

Anyway, oh hey, Wildstar f2p is actually gonna happen. The restrictions seem okay, I'd probably only join one circle anyway (one of those house harvest plot sharing ones, I hear there's money to be made). It'd be nice to do more with my house that I only had for ten days.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 29, 2015

panda clue
May 23, 2014
http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/2015-05-29-its-wildstars-1st-birthday-but-youre-getting-the-gifts/

"Every home needs a First Annual Anniversary Cupcake décor piece complete with lights and fanfare. It ain't a party till someone brings cupcakes, cupcakes!"

cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Reason posted:

Are there really only two servers left? Are there any goons playing anymore?

They merged their servers into two "mega-servers".

Thunderbro posted:

. Buff CDs were lengthened by 10 minutes for non-subs.

Holy poo poo, I didn't know they increased cooldowns like that. That is some Ragnarok Online 2 localization bullshit.

To explain, the English versions of Ragnarok Online 2 had some changes in the name of cash shop money. One such change was multiplaying the cooldown of the two resurrection spells by TEN, without rebalancing the game around the spells suddenly not being usable multiple times per boss fight. Instead of being able to get multiple people back in the fight, you had to pray that only one person died, because anyone else is going to stay dead or have to respawn back at the instance entrance.

The cash shop sold resurrection items with a much lower cooldown.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

panda clue posted:

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/2015-05-29-its-wildstars-1st-birthday-but-youre-getting-the-gifts/

"Every home needs a First Annual Anniversary Cupcake décor piece complete with lights and fanfare. It ain't a party till someone brings cupcakes, cupcakes!"

This makes me much happier than I reasonably should be.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

panda clue posted:

This "EXXXTREME" humor was walking on thin ice even when the game was in open beta. How have they not realized that they are overdue to tone it down a bit by now? Or at least come up with a new gimmick.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Byolante posted:

+1 for guild wars 2 making female catpeople not look like women with cat ears.

The whole thing actually works to the advantage to the women of, uh, that giant race in FXIV. The women look super bad rear end while the men are basically a race of anime Shreks.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

http://www.twitch.tv/wildstar/v/5577369 - today's Twitch stream about the F2P transition.

Are all their streams always so awkward? Cos watching them be forced to pretend to suddenly care about having 'no barriers' and for 'anyone in the world be able to play' is pretty entertaining.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
The game sucked -----> Devs need money -----> Free to play

Watch the devs pat themselves on the back and extol the virtues of free to play when it should have been f2p at launch.

Despera fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 29, 2015

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Still bugs me every time someone on their forums says Elder Game (capitalization and all) instead of endgame.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

blablablabla posted:

The game sucked -----> Devs need money -----> Free to play

Watch the devs pat themselves on the back and extol the virtues of free to play when it should have been f2p at launch.

I'm pretty sure 95% of the twitch chat during that stream was some variation of YOU GUYS SAID YOU'D NEVER GO F2P :allears:

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Verranicus posted:

Still bugs me every time someone on their forums says Elder Game (capitalization and all) instead of endgame.

TOR was doing it before they were.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Iron Tusk posted:

TOR was doing it before they were.

Also wtf are 'Capital Players'

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Let's talk about Base Pop.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Belzac posted:

Let's talk about Base Pop.

Needed a way to distinguish raid bosses from regular raid mobs because all enemies in Wildstar are trash.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

Keep in mind there was a big fight over giving the female character models options for less ridiculous proportions.

And they won. The older models were even thinner and had larger chests :psyduck:

Do you have a picture because I refuse to believe that.

:psyduck:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

The Moon Monster posted:

Needed a way to distinguish raid bosses from regular raid mobs because all enemies in Wildstar are trash.

nice

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

Anatharon posted:

Do you have a picture because I refuse to believe that.

:psyduck:

Here

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I know art is a subjective thing but....how do either of those models look decent? :psyduck:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Christ almighty, that's an inflatable doll.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Eimi posted:

I know art is a subjective thing but....how do either of those models look decent? :psyduck:

they dont :ssh:

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

yeah this looks like poo poo, with or without superthin waist

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Good lord I forgot how the beta models were even worse.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Wasn't RIFT's F2P pretty benign at first? I remember it looking pretty decent at least right on it's launch.

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

Yeah, when RIFT went F2P initially it was a really good conversion, subscribers got some neat perks but free players were in no way significantly disadvantaged by not subscribing (except for AH access, which could be gotten if you had ever subscribed or made a single small purchase at the cash shop, which back then priced things like purple mounts quite reasonably compared to most MMO cash shops, and didn't do dumb things like sell top tier raid gear). The cash shop shenanigans didn't start until several months after it went F2P.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I didn't mind the raid gear in Rifts item shop because I had enough of every currency from old raid tiers and PVP to buy the items for transmog then immediately resell them for a full refund of that currency. Saved a gently caress load of time going back and running old dungeons/raids for drops.

How they didn't catch that I do not know.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
rift used to be a fun game

last time I played it I immediately got called a friend of the family and votekicked for not having full raid gear in a 5-man dungeon. this is standard for a pay2win community.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thunderbro posted:

last time I played it I immediately got called a friend of the family and votekicked for not having full raid gear in a 5-man dungeon. this is standard for a pay2win community.

And when was that? Rift is still a fun game.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

dovetaile posted:

Rift is still a fun game.
Please don't lie in the Wildstar thread.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

dovetaile posted:

Rift is still a fun game.

:roflolmao:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Thunderbro posted:

I had similar experiences the last time I played. Nobody was that assholish, but getting kicked for not being overgeared for a levelling dungeon is irritating.

Were wildstar's pubbies like that? I didn't pug much at all.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Deki posted:

I had similar experiences the last time I played. Nobody was that assholish, but getting kicked for not being overgeared for a levelling dungeon is irritating.

Were wildstar's pubbies like that? I didn't pug much at all.

No sane person PUGed anything other than adventures, because they all required coordination and no one had that great of gear, because the dungeon gear was poo poo and raiding was nearly impossible.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mrbass21 posted:

No sane person PUGed anything other than adventures, because they all required coordination and no one had that great of gear, because the dungeon gear was poo poo and raiding was nearly impossible.

At least all the pre raiding stuff isn't true anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
They went through and cut the auto attack damage of all monsters by a crazy amount. Dungeons are a ton more forgivable now. I guess they woke up one day and realized that nobody is going to gear as a tank while they level.

Now if they would only wake up again and realize the loving sprint button is a dumb thing and should be destroyed forever.

• Locked thread