Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Upgrade your repair tool, buy sticky grenades and grenade bandolier, upgrade your ammo pack, cert up your lightning, your MBT, your Sunderer, your Harasser, and a whole lot of other things I'm forgetting right now.

Don't bother buying new guns for a while; the defaults are all great, and any other options you have will just be a sidegrade.

Seriously, throwing certs at new weapons is like the biggest, most common mistake that new players make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Whale Cancer posted:

As someone who is new to this, I'm like lvl 8, are any of the guns worth buying? I like playing engineer and heavy assault. I spend 90% of my time playing engineer.

Not any more, the cheap guns used to be worth it but it's more worth it to upgrade tools and buy grenade bandoleer for each class along with revive grenades and sticky grenades.

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is there some go-to strategy for small unit tactics that we aren't aware of, or anyone got other ideas? Or is PS2 just a game where you can't get anything done without a blob?

Battle Bus/Gal

Find big fight. Get everyone to go engie at first. Feel out the fight. #1 priority = Bus must live! #2 Point bulldogs at enemy. #3 Harvest certs.

If you're running at least 4-5 people maybe one or two can go AV max to deal with lightnings and MBTs who will think you're easy pickings. But the gunners and drivers always have to be engineers at bare minimum. The more engies you have to sacrifice to your bus for emergency reps the longer you'll live. Don't worry about them they can always redeploy into you when they get gibbed by HE explosions.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Whale Cancer posted:

As someone who is new to this, I'm like lvl 8, are any of the guns worth buying? I like playing engineer and heavy assault. I spend 90% of my time playing engineer.

You starting guns are great. You want to be upgrading your engineering tool, suit slot and maybe picking up an AV Turret. One thing hidden away is you can upgrade your ammo pack, click the button below your Engineer on the Loadout screen to get to it. If you get Max rank Ammo pack you can throw down two at once and get all the ammo certs.

If you absolutely have to buy a gun buy an SMG. The Cyclone for the NC if you're playing that, every class can use an SMG and the Cyclone is pretty loving good.

If you're playing VS I dunno what the good SMG is.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fans posted:

If you're playing VS I dunno what the good SMG is.

It's called the pulsar c.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
upgrade your ammo pack right this very moment. max it out. throw ammo at everything.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Whale Cancer posted:

The starting carbines are all decent to quite good. Upgrading your repairtool and ammopack is a good investment to earn more certs faster over time. Get the sticky nade though!

Good weapon upgrades are the AC X11, Jaguar and Pulsar C for NC/TR/VS respectively but I'd stick with the starter gun until you get the auraxium medal with it (1160 kills).

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Whale Cancer posted:

Your default guns are perfectly fine, but if you want to mix things up, here are some suggestions:

Thanks to DBG's incredibly idiotic price hike on cert unlocks, excellent guns that were a cheap 100 certs are now 325 certs, and 250 cert guns are now 650. I'll only list the least expensive weapons.

Carbines (Light Assault/Engineer) (Note - the burst versions of the default guns are dogshit. Don't bother.)

--TR--
LC3 Jaguar - Is a straight upgrade to the TRAC 5. It does everything better than an already incredibly good gun.
T5 AMC - Trades rate of fire for accuracy and stability. It has low recoil which makes it great at medium-range.

--NC--
Razor GD-23 - Loses rate of fire but is extremely accurate.
ACX-11 - Has the lowest rate of fire and the lowest magazine size among NC carbines but makes up for it by having 200 damage per shot, which means this gun hits extremely hard and retains more damage as distance increases.

--VS--
Serpent VE92 - Fires rounds at a staggering 845 rounds per minute, which means you fire a lot of shots in a very small amount of time. Use this weapon to disintegrate anyone who gets too close to you.
Pulsar C - Extremely similar to NC's default carbine, this gun trades rate of fire for accuracy and stopping power. It's one of the best guns in the game, hands down.

LMGs

--TR--
MSW-R - This is extremely similar to VS's default LMG, the Orion. It is much more stable and has softpoint ammo.
T9 CARV-S - Trades the CARV's rate of fire for better control and a wide variety of attachment options.
T16 Rhino - Is a piece of poo poo. The T9 CARV-S is better than this gun in every possible way.

--NC--
GD-22S - Trades the Gauss-SAW's raw stopping power for increased rate of fire and stability. It's a watered-down version of the Anchor. If you're interested in the GD-22S just go the extra mile and save up certs for the Gauss-SAW S or the Anchor.
EM1 - Is accurate, but so are the rest of NC's LMGs. Skip this one unless you're a headshot wizard.
Gauss SAW-S - Trades the Gauss-SAW's stopping power for better control and attachment options.

--VS--
Pulsar LSW - Sucks.
VX29 Polaris - VS version of the EM1.
Flare VE6 - VS version of the Gauss SAW-S.

vvv - Maybe they'll finally stop being horse turds.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 29, 2015

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

The official PS2 stream is live now:
http://www.twitch.tv/planetside2

The next weapons they'll look at are going to be the burst weapons :stare:

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
The GD-22S is still totally worth its new cost. With the second lowest recoil and first shot recoil of any 167dmg LMG, fast reload relative to mag size, and the fastest recoil recovery of any LMG, it's one of the most user friendly LMGs in the game, even if its damage is only ok on paper. Additionally, its accuracy when moving during ADS is superior to most other LMGs. A minor bonus is its solid velocity. Sure it doesn't get the full set of attachments but that just makes it more economical :pseudo:

MSW-R and GD-22S are probably the only guns I would still recommend without reservation to new players at their new cost.

The Anchor is significantly more unruly when used in ADS. For most less experienced players the GD-22S has significantly better range just because it's so easy to use. I would never recommend the Anchor to a newer player at 1000 certs even though it's one of my personal favorites. It's a good gun but so is every NC LMG and most of the rest are all cheaper. :v:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 30, 2015

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

More like the Anchor is a much less user friendly GD-22S

22S has the fastest reload among ALL LMGs, the lowest first shot multiplier among ALL LMGs, top 5 velocity, and very respectable DPS

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
NS Anti-Material rifle is on PTS now.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/anti-material-rifle-on-pts.226766/ Here is someone posting about it.

My observations: Standard scope is 4x chevron with sway :barf: Further scope options are 7x and up to 12x. No alternative 4x scopes (crosshair or dot) available at this time.

Very good standing hipfire, which is probably an oversight considering the hipfire stats of other bolt action weapons. 2 second bolt cycle time. Straight pull available.

28 shots to take out a deployment shield Sunderer, 20 to the side armor of a Lightning.

Kills a MAX in 2 headshots but only out to 10 meters, there it starts being 2 plus bodyshot.

As you can see, I wouldn't exactly mothball the AV turret if you're expecting something other than MAXes.

Edit: On another note, you can buy a bundle called 'Auraxium' for 1 cert on the test server to unlock directive weapons to try them.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 30, 2015

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I dunno why it's so rare to see people use the Valkyrie full of C4 Fairies trick. You just load up, fly over the enemy sunderer, everyone jumps out and bam, fight over. If they pull another one, you just do it again; it takes like thirty seconds to do and it's not like Valks cost much.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Psykmoe posted:

Edit: On another note, you can buy a bundle called 'Auraxium' for 1 cert on the test server to unlock directive weapons to try them.

I bet this makes it to live

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Let's finally chip in for a :dbg: smily if it does.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Epic High Five posted:

More like the Anchor is a much less user friendly GD-22S

22S has the fastest reload among ALL LMGs, the lowest first shot multiplier among ALL LMGs, top 5 velocity, and very respectable DPS

I'm very happy I got it for 100c it's a very fun gun.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Psykmoe posted:

I hope it costs $29.94 to buy that smilie.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Psykmoe posted:

NS Anti-Material rifle is on PTS now.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/anti-material-rifle-on-pts.226766/ Here is someone posting about it.

My observations: Standard scope is 4x chevron with sway :barf: Further scope options are 7x and up to 12x. No alternative 4x scopes (crosshair or dot) available at this time.

Very good standing hipfire, which is probably an oversight considering the hipfire stats of other bolt action weapons. 2 second bolt cycle time. Straight pull available.

28 shots to take out a deployment shield Sunderer, 20 to the side armor of a Lightning.

Kills a MAX in 2 headshots but only out to 10 meters, there it starts being 2 plus bodyshot.

As you can see, I wouldn't exactly mothball the AV turret if you're expecting something other than MAXes.

This actually sounds really nice also 7 shots to kill an ESF! This looks like an awesome anti max weapon because you can seriously hurt maxes even by just pegging them once--use as a group with AV turrets to quickly destroy armor!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Westy543 posted:

Resist shield does not block headshots.

Just tested this and the SASR does not 1 shot a heavy with resist shield up. Left him at about 25ish% health.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Seriously what does the final upgrade for the medic gun do? I keep hearing it's worth the certs but I haven't heard why and no-one loving answers my questions ingame

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
That guy you revived now has 100% of his life instead of 80%. You also revive faster. This means you can just jump around the entire battlefield, point your gun at a guy for a quarter of a second and he'll be up with 100% life so you wont have to waste time topping him off.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
If you are running along a hallway and see two dead friends, you can revive them both without breaking stride.

Also the extra range is much more than you might expect.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

RoanHorse posted:

Seriously what does the final upgrade for the medic gun do? I keep hearing it's worth the certs but I haven't heard why and no-one loving answers my questions ingame

You revive people faster, at full health, from a longer distance.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

Psykmoe posted:

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
When did the new cap for non-subscribers go in for certs? I got like another 15k when I logged in to look for the recent optics refund for some reason and I couldn't figure out why I wasn't earning certs anymore, but logged in today and my certs overs the cap were deleted. Kinda pissed.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Synnr posted:

When did the new cap for non-subscribers go in for certs? I got like another 15k when I logged in to look for the recent optics refund for some reason and I couldn't figure out why I wasn't earning certs anymore, but logged in today and my certs overs the cap were deleted. Kinda pissed.

The cap for poors is 10k, but the certs aren't supposed to disappear. Send a support ticket.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Speaking of support tickets, I accidentally bought thermal optics with SC and I finally got a response nearly a week later that they're refusing to refund me for it. How long do I need to pester them before they do the "Its a one time refund deal" spiel? Its horseshit, the thermal optics weren't even effected by the zoom optic changes yet I had to rebuy them.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Evilreaver posted:

If you are running along a hallway and see two dead friends, you can revive them both without breaking stride.

Also the extra range is much more than you might expect.

Both much more AND much more useful more often than you'd expect it to be

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
I think the anti-material rifle is going to make MAX life a lot more interesting in many, many places.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Max level medigun revives people in about a second and a half at full health, and it revives maxes with like 1/8 health.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Denzine posted:

I think the anti-material rifle is going to make MAX life a lot more interesting in many, many places.

I'm not really convinced that it'll change much. Detonating tank mines should be a much bigger dent in the QoL of a Max.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
At 7 shots to down an ESF I really want to see groups of people focus firing those things down in a single volley, that'd be amazing. Infiltrator AA.

It sounds like Harassers and Lightnings don't have much to worry about from the thing though, unless you're really getting focused down by a bunch of players in which case it doesn't really matter anyway.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

It's engi only and calling this an anti-max weapon is a red herring, it's an NS lancer. 2 squads of people shooting this on target will kill armor extremely quickly, and from my testing in VR it has a range of at least 500 meters. Look at what scopes it has available: only 7x and up. It is totally not an anti-max sniper rifle.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I thought the base scope was 4x. An anti-max SASR.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Fina posted:

I thought the base scope was 4x. An anti-max SASR.

The base is 4x (could be a bug/work in progress) but it has sway. It's also almost twice as slow as the sasser. I'm thinking it'll primarily be raven and vortex maxes that'll be impacted by it as most others stick to indoors. RIP lockdown burstermaxes tho!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I can't wait to see if this rotation I've got in my head is going to be broken as hell.

Fire AV turret
Leave
While it's cooling down, fire 1-2 shots from the AM rifle
Get back in AV turret
Repeat

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Thanks, I'll stick to the issued gun.

My repair tool is 1 short of max and my ammo box is 3 or 4, I'll do sticky nades and bandolier next.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Do ammo boxes ever resupply grenades or can they never supply anything that costs nanites?
Also, I've only played with people that don't put certs into it. Will it ever resupply more than one rocket at a time?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

LuiCypher posted:

I can't wait to see if this rotation I've got in my head is going to be broken as hell.

Fire AV turret
Leave
While it's cooling down, fire 1-2 shots from the AM rifle
Get back in AV turret
Repeat

um don't two hits from an AV turret already kill a max? or did you mean vs vehicles?

RoanHorse posted:

Do ammo boxes ever resupply grenades or can they never supply anything that costs nanites?
Also, I've only played with people that don't put certs into it. Will it ever resupply more than one rocket at a time?

nope, no free nanites
and no. I THINK ammo packs from two different players will resupply you faster but I've never actually bothered to check.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The anti-materiel rifle looks great and I'm happy the engineer gets more anti-vehicle stuff, but what about the rocklet rifle?

• Locked thread