Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Harime Nui posted:

I loving hate CBR. Why include "don't show me this again" as an option if you're going to give me that stupid popup EVERY FREAKING TIME???

Do you have an ad-blocker or anti-tracking extension installed, that might be deleting the cookie that tells CBR you don't want to see the pop-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
On the reccomendation a few pages back, I read Spider-Man & The X-Men, and can't believe how much fun it was. Along with All-New X-Men, I think it managed to hit the sweet spot for being exactly what I want in comics :allears:

A few dumb questions, because I'm so incredibly scared by the scale of the Marvel catalogue that I only read things that this thread tells me to read :

* Which series do I need to read to catch up with Kitty Pryde? She just sort of went to "space", and I don't know where to find her :{

* I remember long before I discovered comics reading on SA about a mutant who grew up in complete isolation, with only 50s sitcoms to teach her about the human world. This always sounded like the greatest oddball concept in comics history, so if anyone knows who I'm trying to describe, and where I can read comics about them, it would be much appreciated :D

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Legendary Star Lord and Guardians of the Galaxy mostly.

Here's a list of specific issues: http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Katherine_Pryde_%28Earth-616%29/Appearances?pagefrom=Excalibur+Vol+1+0071%0AExcalibur+Vol+1+71#mw-pages

Also starting in June there will be a Star Lord and Kitty Pryde series. It's a Secret Wars tie-in though, so of course there's some differences.

Edit: Oh, and she was also in Black Vortex of course. I'm pretty sure she was in the All New X-Men issues, I don't know if she ended up in the Nova or Captain Marvel tie-in ones but odds are if you're going to read that you would want to read the whole event instead of skipping around anyway.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 29, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tyma posted:

On the reccomendation a few pages back, I read Spider-Man & The X-Men, and can't believe how much fun it was. Along with All-New X-Men, I think it managed to hit the sweet spot for being exactly what I want in comics :allears:

A few dumb questions, because I'm so incredibly scared by the scale of the Marvel catalogue that I only read things that this thread tells me to read :

* Which series do I need to read to catch up with Kitty Pryde? She just sort of went to "space", and I don't know where to find her :{

* I remember long before I discovered comics reading on SA about a mutant who grew up in complete isolation, with only 50s sitcoms to teach her about the human world. This always sounded like the greatest oddball concept in comics history, so if anyone knows who I'm trying to describe, and where I can read comics about them, it would be much appreciated :D

Wolverine and the X-men is also a great read.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I gotta admit after Morrison's X-Men and Whedon's Astonishing I stopped buying X-Men because I felt like, well the characters had just been taken just about as far as they could go (within the constraints of comics anyway) and there wasn't much left to be said about them (that would be worth hearing). I still kind of feel that way (I sure as gently caress wasn't going to get back into Marvel for AvX) but I regret missing out on Carey's run when it was coming out now, considering he focused on otherwise-neglected characters.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The only thing astonishing about Whedon's run was how regressive it was.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endless Mike posted:

The only thing astonishing about Whedon's run was how regressive it was.

and dull.

I would actually like to know how it took the characters anywhere.

I don't think that was the point of the book.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You're being silly. Whedon's Cyclops was loving aces, and he did some really fun stuff with Wolverine. Also a drat good Kitty Pryde, Beast, Emma Frost. And he gave us Abigail Brand. I thought it was a good marriage of Morrison and Claremont's X-Men. Like most Morrison books, the world wasn't ready for the New X-Men to be the status quo, so it was inevitably going to be dialed back.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
and hopefully we never will be.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
He did more with characters like Cyclops and Emma in two issues than most writers have done with entire runs.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As disinterested as I am in most core X-Men things I love Colossus and his run gave us Colossus back so I'll always like it for that in particular.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
It also did a lot to reinforce Emma Frost's face-turn, which I wouldn't call regressive.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Nobby posted:

It also did a lot to reinforce Emma Frost's face-turn, which I wouldn't call regressive.

Well TBF Emma had been a good guy for like 10 years when Astonishing came out.

But no for real Whedon took the character beats Morrison set up and played them really well I thought.

Of course I like the idea of Emma giving herself an English accent for no reason other than she wants one.

Die Laughing posted:

You're being silly. Whedon's Cyclops was loving aces, and he did some really fun stuff with Wolverine. Also a drat good Kitty Pryde, Beast, Emma Frost. And he gave us Abigail Brand. I thought it was a good marriage of Morrison and Claremont's X-Men. Like most Morrison books, the world wasn't ready for the New X-Men to be the status quo, so it was inevitably going to be dialed back.

Yeah but we can agree Lockheed was the real breakout right?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Whedon's run was just Good Comics and did a lot to set up Cyclops and Emma in particular, going forward.

I'd probably be more kindly disposed to it if it hadn't taken a geologic epoch to conclude, of course. Did anyone ever come forward and establish why that book shipped twice a year?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Wanderer posted:

Whedon's run was just Good Comics and did a lot to set up Cyclops and Emma in particular, going forward.

I'd probably be more kindly disposed to it if it hadn't taken a geologic epoch to conclude, of course. Did anyone ever come forward and establish why that book shipped twice a year?

Cassaday?

And yeah, I enjoyed it a lot more in trades. That glacial shipping schedule killed any momentum it had.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Tyma posted:

Sounds almost like the backstory behind Kid Apocalypse (or Genesis or Evan, whatever), but he's not a girl and is a fairly recent development, so couldn't tell ya. But that's a big reason why Evan is cool in my book.

CharlestheHammer posted:

and hopefully we never will be.

So what do you think is the pinnacle of what the X-Men should be going forward?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I honestly liked Claremonts original idea for the teams to rotate members out as the X-men age and outgrow the X-men.

It won't happen ever but its a better never going to happen idea.

There isn't any reason the dynamic itself had to change. Especially to a much less interesting idea.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I mean, I'm of the same mind, but I guess I don't see how that counteracts either Morrison's or Whedon's ethos. In terms of the main team, yeah, they're pretty boring, but it's been static for awhile, which is greatly frustrating. I think those comics were good notwithstanding probably some higher-up insisting on a stable lineup for better marketing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really don't think Whedon was forced to use the classic team.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Considering he was able to bring back Colossus when Morision wasn't Whedon used who he wanted to use, most writers do.

The roster hasn't changed much because writers want to use the characters they grew up with or consider classic not because some evil editorial fiat has locked it in place.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

SirDan3k posted:

Considering he was able to bring back Colossus when Morision wasn't Whedon used who he wanted to use, most writers do.

The roster hasn't changed much because writers want to use the characters they grew up with or consider classic not because some evil editorial fiat has locked it in place.

As I understand it - and this is secondhand and thirdhand info, take it with a grain of salt - the way the process currently works, at least for a 'secondary' X-book like Astonishing eventually became or X-Force or what have you is that when the writers are pitching their book they're actively discouraged from staking claims to specific characters. Instead they're asked to look at types of character, so that you'd go in saying "I want my core team to be a telepath, a blaster, a brick, and a flier, and also someone with Unresolved Family Issues" or what have you. It's only once you're actually signed to a contract and everything is getting set up that you actually choose which characters you slot in to each category.

Essentially, if you pitch an idea with Emma Frost but Emma is already spoken for by another writer, your pitch gets discarded; if you pitch an idea with a telepath, you can say "Oh, no Emma? Okay, we'll use Karma" or whatever.

I don't know if that's the kind of process that was being used at the time Whedon was writing Astonishing, and I doubt that more-established writers have to bother with it, but I thought it was an interesting bit to toss out now that we're in a "how do you think creator X picked his roster" discussion.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I don't know if that's the kind of process that was being used at the time Whedon was writing Astonishing, and I doubt that more-established writers have to bother with it, but I thought it was an interesting bit to toss out now that we're in a "how do you think creator X picked his roster" discussion.

I think in Whedon's case when you got Cyclops, Emma, Beast and Wolverine odds are you got to pick whoever you wanted.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The thing about Astonishing is it's clearly the direct successor to Morrison's comics. Like they're clearly keeping up the fantasy that there's a "casual reader" who started reading with Morrison's X-Men and for all Whedon's references to the Claremont years this is definitely the comic for them, so basically I think it was part of the remit from the start that Whedon inherited Morrison's cast + Piotr and Kitty.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

The thing about Astonishing is it's clearly the direct successor to Morrison's comics. Like they're clearly keeping up the fantasy that there's a "casual reader" who started reading with Morrison's X-Men and for all Whedon's references to the Claremont years this is definitely the comic for them, so basically I think it was part of the remit from the start that Whedon inherited Morrison's cast + Piotr and Kitty.

I started reading with Morrison, then read Whedon, and until recently that was all I'd read. Continuity-lite jumping on points can totally work when they're pulled off by good writers, or Morrison/Whedon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So reading Asguardian Wars, besides being creeped out at how sexy all the early teen women are drawn, I realized that Doug Ramsey has the most useless mutant power on the team and the only power I'd want to have in real life. I mean, he can be useful, but when most of the New Mutants adventures involve combat and rescue, being able to read languages isn't going to be too useful, but if I could do that in real life, you'd never be want of a decent job.

Seriously, pages after pages of Illyana's butt crack and underboob. If this wasn't the mid 80s I'd swear it was drawn by Land.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Doug's point was "here's a neat power but it's useless in battle because some of them are bound to be". Now Kung Fu is a language and magic and whatever other rear end pull the writer wants instead of just turning the dude into Oracle like they should.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The most ridiculous application of his power was 'Hey, I can read his dna code!' And boom bad guy is now a baby.

Oh god what is it with claremont and infantilization.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The technical term is Babeality.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
All I know about Cypher is he's the gayest X-Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bpCmbJeFqw

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I thought actually Asgardian Wars was one of the best uses of Doug back then. Him basically being the combat brain for Warlock who was sort of useless previously made them both have a role when the team fought.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really liked that New Mutants story where he came back from the dead and was just "reading" all the selfish impulses behind his former friends' interactions, and he was all disgusted. But Warlock just had honest pure intent. ;_;

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I really liked Doug in the last run of Peter David's X-Factor. While the "future self is evil" storyline itself wasn't very good I liked the fallout of Doug gradually wondering if he would turn evil himself.

I also didn't mind the "Doug becomes Neo" during the Necrosha storyline. It was an interesting, if not totally comic book-y, application of his powers to say the least.

I would have liked Doug a lot more back in the Claremont days except that just like everyone mentioning what their powers did, Doug would always have to have a line about what his powers did...and how useless he was in combat. It was something that really grated after a while. I could stand stuff like "I'll use my weather powers to freeze him!" "Now, I'll give him a taste of my razor sharp adamantium claws!" "[inner monologue] Wow, everyone is so strong, if only I could do more than interpret any language." To be fair it did build up to his death, but if it wasn't quite so Claremontian it would have been a million times better.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 1, 2015

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I really liked that New Mutants story where he came back from the dead and was just "reading" all the selfish impulses behind his former friends' interactions, and he was all disgusted. But Warlock just had honest pure intent. ;_;

Warlock is the best kid. Self has no self() function or something. Part of his mutation?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I always liked how the New Mutants had these 'rad' graduation costumes where Sam's wearing a GI Joe's helmet, Warlock decides to look like Space Ghost and Doug dresses up like Cyclops for [reasons].

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

TwoPair posted:

All I know about Cypher is he's the gayest X-Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bpCmbJeFqw

Archer is great if you're a Marvel fan. I keep wanting to go back and catalogue every nerd reference by episode, but I bet someone's done it already.

You're not my friend, you're a decepticonnn.....

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SynthOrange posted:

Oh god what is it with claremont and infantilization.

Have you read Excalibur #6?

There's one panel in Excalibur #6.

I can imagine Alan Davis reading the script and going, "For God's sake, Chris," as he gets to this panel.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, you can't say that and then not post the panel.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
This one?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Indeed, "But why?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

That one.

• Locked thread