Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Jan posted:

At that price, I'd expect your plan is either not subsidized or at least a 3 year one. With 2 year plans, subsidies show their true colours.

If they've been using flip phones for a while, then a brand new iPhone is probably going to last them as long as the hardware lasts... Pay it up front and don't get shafted by subsidized plans.

It's actually $54/mo after my own device subsidy, but yeah, no subsidy on my plan. That's just brutal. I knew it was bad but I had no idea just how bad. I'll see if they can get by till this fall and scoop them a pair of cheap iPhone 5ses with a month of AppleCare left when they announce the 6s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

CRTC announced they are going to implement a cap the incumbents can charge start-ups for roaming.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-caps-wireless-roaming-rates-that-big-3-can-charge-small-rivals-1.3061333

I don't see how this is a bad thing.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Currently with Koodo and looking to buy a used iPhone locked to them. Could I just pop in my sim card and request an unlock? Or do I have to be the original account holder?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Pivo posted:

edit: doesn't iphone 4 have that unpatchable bootloader exploit so it can be jailbroken forever? can't you just unlock it yourself?
jailbreaking and unlocking are different things

Pivo posted:

Just get the SKMB plan with Koodo... 110 bucks for two lines, 5 gb each
the more you spam this around the internet the more likely it is they're going to crack down on it -_-

slidebite posted:

CRTC announced they are going to implement a cap the incumbents can charge start-ups for roaming.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-caps-wireless-roaming-rates-that-big-3-can-charge-small-rivals-1.3061333

I don't see how this is a bad thing.

hooray!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I would've preferred mandated wholesale access to pave the way for MVNOs.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

status posted:

jailbreaking and unlocking are different things

no but with the boot loader exploit, unlocking is pretty much guaranteed. as far as i know any iphone with a bootloader exploit can be soft unlocked, and iphone 4 has indefinite bootloader exploit.

correct me if i'm wrong , it's been a while since i had an ip4. i don't think i'm wrong, but... i'm open to the possibility.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Pivo posted:

no but with the boot loader exploit, unlocking is pretty much guaranteed. as far as i know any iphone with a bootloader exploit can be soft unlocked, and iphone 4 has indefinite bootloader exploit.

correct me if i'm wrong , it's been a while since i had an ip4. i don't think i'm wrong, but... i'm open to the possibility.

iphone 4 does not have an indefinite bootrom exploit. it doesn't even have a bootrom exploit that allows for an untethered jailbreak without the help of other software exploits. jailbreaking does not "pretty much guarantee" a software unlock and never has.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 6, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

status posted:

iphone 4 does not have an indefinite bootrom exploit. it doesn't even have a bootrom exploit that allows for an untethered jailbreak without the help of other software exploits. jailbreaking does not "pretty much guarantee" a software unlock and never has.

limera1n pwns ip4 (and 3gs) and yeah once you've got the bootrom you can do a soft unlock

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Pivo posted:

limera1n pwns ip4 (and 3gs) and yeah once you've got the bootrom you can do a soft unlock

the limera1n exploit is a tethered jailbreak. it requires a firmware exploit to become untethered on every single iphone 4 ever produced. the iphone 4 does not have an indefinite bootrom exploit. the last device to have an indefinite bootrom exploit was early bootrom iphone 3gs.

jailbreaking does not guarantee an unlock. no matter how many times you say this, it is wrong. stop saying it. you're wrong.

edit: tl;dr: 1) person pivo was responding to is not even talking about an iphone 4 2) pivo is completely wrong regardless 3) shut the gently caress up pivo 4) back to your regularly scheduled programming

dc3k fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 6, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

status posted:

the limera1n exploit is a tethered jailbreak. it requires a firmware exploit to become untethered on every single iphone 4 ever produced. the iphone 4 does not have an indefinite bootrom exploit. the last device to have an indefinite bootrom exploit was early bootrom iphone 3gs.

jailbreaking does not guarantee an unlock. no matter how many times you say this, it is wrong. stop saying it. you're wrong.

edit: tl;dr: 1) person pivo was responding to is not even talking about an iphone 4 2) pivo is completely wrong regardless 3) shut the gently caress up pivo 4) back to your regularly scheduled programming

no limera1n is untethered lol stop talking poo poo

iphone 4 is completely broken. you can jailbreak it you can unlock it. having root doesn't mean you can gently caress with the baseband and do unlocking stuff but IN THIS CASE it DOES

you can also eat my rear end <3

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Pivo posted:

no limera1n is untethered lol stop talking poo poo

iphone 4 is completely broken. you can jailbreak it you can unlock it. having root doesn't mean you can gently caress with the baseband and do unlocking stuff but IN THIS CASE it DOES

you can also eat my rear end <3

jesus christ. the limera1n exploit is tethered. it requires other exploits to be untethered. on old bootroms it used another bootrom exploit to become untethered (hence the 3gs being the last device to have an indefinite bootrom exploit). on any newer bootrom that limera1n even works on, it requires a firmware exploit. firmware is not bootrom. iphone 4 does not have an indefinite bootrom exploit. limera1n is not untethered by itself.

the only unlockable iphone 4 baseband was 1.59.00. if you do not have that baseband, you cannot unlock it. you cannot software unlock without exploiting the baseband. almost any iphone 4 past ios 4.1ish will not have that baseband unless specific steps were taken each time it was upgraded (somethingsomething ipad baseband. i don't even remember exactly anymore since ios4 is from 2010)

all of this is irrelevant anyways, since he was talking about a completely different phone.

i swear, every time you post you get dumber. in summary:
doesn't iphone 4 have that unpatchable bootloader exploit so it can be jailbroken forever? no.
can't you just unlock it yourself? no (even moreso because it's an iphone 4s, you idiot)
no but with the boot loader exploit, unlocking is pretty much guaranteed. no it isn't, and it never ever has been.
as far as i know any iphone with a bootloader exploit can be soft unlocked. no. bootrom exploit has nothing to do with unlocking. bootrom exploits are for jailbreaking. jailbreaking is not unlocking.
and iphone 4 has indefinite bootloader exploit. a bootrom exploit that gives you a tethered jailbreak and has nothing to do with unlocking.
correct me if i'm wrong. i did. you won't believe me because you're monumentally retarded.
i don't think i'm wrong, but... i'm open to the possibility. you've said this in the past so many times and proven so many times that no amount of truth will get through your thick skull.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 6, 2015

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Wow you guys sure are angry about nerd mumbo jumbo. The whole reason I bought my iPhone was to avoid nonsense like that, and it works great fresh out of the box!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

status posted:

jesus christ. the limera1n exploit is tethered.

no it's not. the limera1n exploit can be used forever on iphone 4 and the utility called limera1n uses it to do untethered jb. should i tweet geohot and ask him? if he's still around

maybe you don't know what untethered means?

sorry i'm getting so stupid with every post im sure its very triggering for you, jerk, but i think maybe you're the dumb one in this case.

but yes i didn't see he has an iphone 4s, not 4, so the whole thing is irrelevant.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Wow you guys sure are angry about nerd mumbo jumbo. The whole reason I bought my iPhone was to avoid nonsense like that, and it works great fresh out of the box!

it's ok we know each other from the toronto thread.

tbh i don't jb my phone these days either. i just know that iphone 4 is completely broken, so he's WRONG and i need to be RIGHT! arugh!@

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

BGrifter posted:

Same but with nexus 6. I don't know what they're talking about either.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

This is probably the wrong place for this. .. but I'm on a Canadian rogers cell plan and despite paying out my butt for it I don't seem to get any cell signal in my basement. It's a S5.

Does anyone know of any home use antenna or signal booster equipment I could get for a reasonable price?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

BGrifter posted:

Wow you sure are a stupid poster. Why are you even reading this thread much less posting in it? We've got the "just works" post, maybe round out the bingo score card and tell us more about your iphone making sure to use the term computer janitor.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Zigmidge posted:

Wow you sure are a stupid poster. Why are you even reading this thread much less posting in it? We've got the "just works" post, maybe round out the bingo score card and tell us more about your iphone making sure to use the term computer janitor.

Ahh, EVEgoon. Got it. Makes sense now.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
This past month with Virgin Mobile has been a god-awful demonstration of how slow/careless they are at fixing issues. I upgraded to an LG G3 last month, and part of that upgrade was that they would waive my old SuperTab. I get my monthly bill a couple days later and - no surprise - my SuperTab balance is on there making my bill almost $300.

Back and forth with customer care both on the phone and at the kiosk I did the upgrade at - I think I'm up to 6 phone calls/visits by now. THREE times I was given a date for which the credit would be applied, and each time the date would pass and nothing was removed from the account. I was TOLD BY VIRGIN MOBILE multiple times by multiple people that I should NOT pay the bill as I don't owe the money, just wait for the credit to apply and pay the remaining balance.

WELL - Today I got my call from collections saying my service will be cut off. Went back to the kiosk and got the guy who I originally upgraded the phone with to call in for me (I can no longer call myself as I'm too irate at this point), he's on the phone for TWO hours, basically getting no results being transferred from customer care to billing to collections and back, none of them seem to have any communication with each other whatsoever.

I think we ended up making some kind of agreement with collections for now to not disconnect my service (not sure if I'm going to keep getting collector calls), I paid $60 of the balance which is my monthly charge minus the tab. Collections said they would send me a copy of the agreement a couple hours ago, but I haven't received it as of yet (big surprise) so I'm not sure if this is over with or not. I still have not gotten a date for when this "credit" will be applied to my account as I still have a balance of over $200 owing. I should probably send an e-mail to their corporate office now to at least lay groundwork if they screw this up again. Not sure if I want to get CCTS involved yet.

Spagghentleman fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 16, 2015

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Get the store manager to contact their district or area manager and get it dealt with. Their support lines are lovely like every carrier's and the AM/DM has better access to dealing with issues like yours.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

You should buy the iPhone 5s 32GB Space Grey (GSM) Unlocked imo

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/wireless-carriers-lose-legal-challenge-of-new-wireless-code/article24501657/

G&M posted:

The code did not initially apply to existing contracts, although three-year terms had been the norm in Canada for years. But as of this June 3, the code will apply to all agreements, meaning anyone still on a three-year contract will be able to walk away without paying off the balance of the device subsidy they owe and no additional cancellation fee.

Interesting.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I can't send or receive SMS on Mobilicity. Anyone else having issues?

I'm in Vancouver.

Don't know if it had to do with me trying to turn on delivery notifications on google hangouts...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

JustAwful posted:

This past month with Virgin Mobile has been a god-awful demonstration of how slow/careless they are at fixing issues. I upgraded to an LG G3 last month, and part of that upgrade was that they would waive my old SuperTab. I get my monthly bill a couple days later and - no surprise - my SuperTab balance is on there making my bill almost $300.
After this is all done, pull your credit report too.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Koodo just waived the ~$42 balance on my tab with no explanation. Does anyone know why they'd do this? :shepface:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

The Dark One posted:

Koodo just waived the ~$42 balance on my tab with no explanation. Does anyone know why they'd do this? :shepface:

Friday happy hour drunk computing.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

The Dark One posted:

Must be in anticipation of that June 3rd contract rollover.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I have one of those iPhone launch era 6GB Rogers data plans that I've managed to keep in a plan bargained down to about $70/month. My monthly daytime minutes are poo poo, I pay a ridiculous $0.50 per MMS, I don't get Canada-wide calling, and the US / EU $5/day options aren't available because I'm somehow still a small business customer. How practical would it be to do the following:

-Buy a Skype number
-Forward my current Rogers number to Skype
-Move to a different area code and keep the old Rogers number

My data roams within Canada just fine, so the only issue would be if forwarding is extremely predatory and counts the Skype number as long distance and/or counts call time after the forward. Skype credit for local / in-country calling is so cheap that I could probably drop my voice plan to bare minimum if the fixed number was a significant cost.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Can you still do SK/MB with Koodo? Because it's cheaper, and has unlimited everything. One less gig though.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

I have one of those iPhone launch era 6GB Rogers data plans that I've managed to keep in a plan bargained down to about $70/month. My monthly daytime minutes are poo poo, I pay a ridiculous $0.50 per MMS, I don't get Canada-wide calling, and the US / EU $5/day options aren't available because I'm somehow still a small business customer. How practical would it be to do the following:

-Buy a Skype number
-Forward my current Rogers number to Skype
-Move to a different area code and keep the old Rogers number

My data roams within Canada just fine, so the only issue would be if forwarding is extremely predatory and counts the Skype number as long distance and/or counts call time after the forward. Skype credit for local / in-country calling is so cheap that I could probably drop my voice plan to bare minimum if the fixed number was a significant cost.

It was the $30 6GB add-on correct? have you tried paired it with their cheapest talk/text plan? I have it with Fido and I managed to keep the data add-on and paired it with their old $31.5 byop standard plan so I'm paying $61.5/month for 6GB, 250 weekday Canada-wide minutes, unlimited MMS, caller ID, and mini voicemail. I tried to switch to their current $27 talk/text plan and they said it's "not compatible" with my 6GB add-on. :rolleyes:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah that's the data plan I have. Used to have it on a Blackberry 9000 and barely crack 150MB but now on Windows Phone I get close to 2GB every month. I have the same number of minutes but trade the MMS for them waiving the system access fee and voicemail costs. Having to sit on the phone for a whole day to make a marginal improvement isn't really worth my time, but keeping the same number independent of my location would be a nice bonus. Does anyone have experience with forwarding to a VoIP / Skype number and living entirely off data? SMS is Canada-wide, right?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 1, 2015

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
For all the crap that it gets, Pay-as-You-Go has actually suited me just fine for the last four years. That is, until last month when Rogers upped their local calling rates to 50 cents/minute. :fuckoff:

They haven't even changed the prices on their website. I had to go hunting with google to find the above link after noticing that my balance was draining faster than it normally does.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 3, 2015

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

The Dark One posted:

I dunno, but my $210~ device balance that also appears to have disappeared makes upgrading look real attractive right about now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, mine with Rogers was about $170 and it's gone now. Though it still says it will hit $0 in May 2016 so I guess they have some backend stuff to fix.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rogers just texted me an offer of one extra gig of data per month or unlimited texting, which I already have. Both for a full year, supposedly for my loyalty (I've been with them for about 10 years now)

Is this a scam? It looks somewhat legit.

The message from a four digit number:

Rogers msg: Great News! Get more value at no extra cost as an appreciation gift for your loyalty. Please choose your favorite option within 3 days for (my number):
Reply 'T' to receive Unlimited Canada-wide Talk & Text, OR
Reply 'D' to receive 1GB/mo. of extra data
Enjoy this gift valid only on your current plan until your next device upgrade for a maximum of 12 months (non-transferrable). Reply STOP to opt-out of Rogers text msgs. Reach us at http://roge.rs/reachus

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Sounds legit, not sure how it can be a scam. They've been losing customers left and right, I'm not sure why such a marketing campaign would be out of the ordinary, or what you texting a reply could potentially scam you out of. That link takes them to their actual website (just used a shortener for SMS I guess)

But. I dunno for sure.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
I also got bonus 1GB with Fido. I didn't have to do anything, when I checked my account details online the bonus 1GB was there.

Also responding to my previous post, they let me switch my talk/text plan to the $27 option this time. So I'm paying $57 for 7GB/300 min Canada-wide weekday/unlimited MMS

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 3, 2015

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Reverse Centaur posted:

Rogers just texted me an offer of one extra gig of data per month or unlimited texting, which I already have. Both for a full year, supposedly for my loyalty (I've been with them for about 10 years now)

Rogers msg: Great News! Get more value at no extra cost as an appreciation gift for your loyalty. Please choose your favorite option within 3 days for (my number):
Enjoy this gift valid only on your current plan until your next device upgrade for a maximum of 12 months (non-transferrable). Reply STOP to opt-out of Rogers text msgs. Reach us at http://roge.rs/reachus

I did as well. I checked with Rogers directly and they confirmed its legit.

What are the chances of cancelling my 3 current 3 year contract to get a new phone, and still being able to keep my 6gb/crap daytime talk which i dont use anyway $70 plan?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

You've been with them 10 years and the new contract term law kicked in today.

They want to retain you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Ahahaha that would explain why the called me at 10AM. Naturally I never answer.