Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

GrossMurpel posted:

Didn't know you could throw Dragon's Dream on an already burning fire though, that's hella cool.
Do it ten times and you'll get an achievement for it on Steam ("That Is the Evilest Thing")

Junkenstein posted:

Where do Nekkers like to hang out?
Yeah, I too still need 4 nekker hearts for the enhanced health potion.
I just can't seem to find any nekker nests anymore. Got a single heart from the normal nekkers in Philippa Eilhart's hideout, but that's all I could find, 80 hours in.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Beat the game, got what I consider to be a pretty good ending. I'm glad this game was downgraded or whatever, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to play this game.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Just got to Skellige and it loving owns. The levels of monsters and quests here are pretty weird though, level 12 Neekers next to a level 24 Cyclops, and the quest I'm on(Destination: Skellige) is level 16.

Also, I can't select Axii from the signs menu, is this a known bug or did I gently caress something up?

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Psiharis posted:

I'm not sure either, but the strategy guide pegs the end of Act 1 as the point where you unlock Kaer Morhen. There's a big battle that marks the end of Act 2.

I was putting off Kaer Morhen because I really thought that would be the point of no return. This game. :allears:

I was gonna :eyepop: about how I'm still in act 1 after 180 hours of play, buuut, I realized that I have definitely not been playing 20 hours every day since I got it, so what's up with the playtime counter in the statistics screen? I checked and it did count 1 minute correctly, but something is definitely off here.

Edit: It's definitely not ingame time because it's showing 8 days and I waited two weeks to turn in that contract in the swamps at one point.

Greenplastic fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 30, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Feenix posted:

I think you are mistaken, though. There ARE problems with the game's combat. There are also just "ways around it".

Maybe even a LOT of ways around it. But the swinging of swords and dealing with multiple enemies is... not great.

{i'll say again, i am appreciative of all the offers of advice... (I even asked for some...) but my original post was just an expression of frustration that this otherwise amazing game has such clunky interactions (mostly in combat.))

:)

You can at least rest assured that it's quite a long time until you'll run into another part that's as much of a wall as that wraith fight in Crow's Perch.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Swedish Horror posted:

Also, I can't select Axii from the signs menu, is this a known bug or did I gently caress something up?

It seems that sometimes the sign selection bugs out.
Once I couldn't switch from Quen. Getting on the horse and casting Axii there once fixed the issue.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I seem to have completely lost ability to use signs --- just get "you can't use this here" or some such. Started with the 2nd boss battle at the Bald Mountain...

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Finished at last. The ingame menu says I spent 120 hours on it but it felt like less.
Happy that I got exactly the ending I expected without save whoring or having to read some online checklist full of spoiler, something that is quite rare in RPGs.

One of the best game ever in my Opinion, it suffer from a few annoying things, mostly related to its interface but most of the game is stellar.
I will happily go for another run in a couple years after I've forgotten everything.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Krogort posted:

Finished at last. The ingame menu says I spent 120 hours on it but it felt like less.

See my post above, that timer is definitely wrong

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Finished it - 102 hours clocked and I think I did almost everything (A lot of ?'s left around in the sea of Skellige though. gently caress those). Really superb game and easily one of the best I've ever played.

I'm incredibly excited to see what CDPR do next, since they can only improve on this, which'll be something fantastic.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Family Matters

gently caress me that was a grim ending - Anna dead, Baron dead and I've freed a demon horse!

Also....Uma isn't a monster :colbert:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

OddObserver posted:

I seem to have completely lost ability to use signs --- just get "you can't use this here" or some such. Started with the 2nd boss battle at the Bald Mountain...

... And someone on CDPR forum suggested a workaround: having Geralt dimeritium bomb himself, which worked. Well, that was an interesting boss fight to do without signs :)

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I don't really mind what CDPR do next as long as they don't try to make a Witcher mmporg.

I'd love a Witcher game with co-op, mind.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

WastedJoker posted:

I don't really mind what CDPR do next as long as they don't try to make a Witcher mmporg.

I'd love a Witcher game with co-op, mind.

I'd rather they stay away from multiplayer entirely. Their strength is in incredibly good single-player roleplaying games.. Stick to that! I'm interested to see how they do Cyberpunk 2077, since it'll be shootin' and stuff.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I ran into the "recipe not being added to my list" bug. Buying Enhanced Northern Wind from the halfling alchemist in Novigrad and it does not go into my inventory :( And I really wanted it too.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Feenix posted:

There ARE problems with the game's combat. There are also just "ways around it".

Maybe even a LOT of ways around it. But the swinging of swords and dealing with multiple enemies is... not great.
I agree 100%. The game is fantastic, but there are several elements that simply don't feel good on a fundamental level, or that undercut the overall experience in minor ways. Moving Geralt around and dealing with his direction relative to the camera are high up there.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
I'm so happy I'm thick skinned when it comes to annoyances like that. I notice a lot of the same things (like Roach constantly getting stuck) but they just never get under my skin. It was the same with Destiny for me. It allows me to appreciate all the amazing parts while pretty much ignoring the bad ones. I'm blessed. Witcher 3 Game of the Year!

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

Where do Nekkers like to hang out?

Southeast part of Velen, I remember bombing a bunch of nests.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Greenplastic posted:

I'm so happy I'm thick skinned when it comes to annoyances like that. I notice a lot of the same things (like Roach constantly getting stuck) but they just never get under my skin. It was the same with Destiny for me. It allows me to appreciate all the amazing parts while pretty much ignoring the bad ones. I'm blessed. Witcher 3 Game of the Year!

Same.

Plus galloping toward bandits and cleaving them in twain will never not be amazing.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Why does Geralt uses his silver sword against the Wild Hunt guys ?
It always trouble me, they seems very much flesh and bone inside their thick armor.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Krogort posted:

It always trouble me, they seems very much flesh and bone inside their thick armor.

They're spectral beings in this world.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Does anyone have any suggestions on how the combat could be improved? (Without making it batman)

I agree with some of the issues that are being brought up but I'm not quite sure how I'd improve them if it were up to me. Just curious.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Bort Bortles posted:

I ran into the "recipe not being added to my list" bug. Buying Enhanced Northern Wind from the halfling alchemist in Novigrad and it does not go into my inventory :( And I really wanted it too.

The fix for missing bomb recipes is to drop and destroy the base bombs that you have (just for the affected bomb, not all of them). The higher recipes then show up.
The catch is that you need to craft all the levels of the recipes at the same time because the recipes will disappear again if you craft the base and then leave the screen.
I think this bug just affects Moon Dust and Northern wind.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Why is there a Bruxa in that one trailer but no where in the game PLEASE RSPND :rant:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

WastedJoker posted:

Family Matters

gently caress me that was a grim ending - Anna dead, Baron dead and I've freed a demon horse!

Also....Uma isn't a monster :colbert:

Guess She Who Knows wasn't lying after all.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Bort Bortles posted:

Im going to jump to a wild guess and say it's that particular one is bugged, because thats the exact one I had the same issue with so it can't be a coincidence. I dont remember what else disappeared, I think my crossbow disappeared from my equipped slot after the mid game battle, probably because it equips and deequips secondary items for you during the quest .

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Romance subplot question for those who have beaten the game: so I told Triss I loved her because she's way cooler then Yennefer but I also banged Keira because I felt like it. Is this going to come back to bite me in the rear end down the line? I'd rather not get a bad ending because Geralt couldn't keep it in his pants

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

vudan posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how the combat could be improved? (Without making it batman)

I agree with some of the issues that are being brought up but I'm not quite sure how I'd improve them if it were up to me. Just curious.

I think the big two are -

-Make Geralt's attack animations more predictable
-Adjust target lock - use a different button for the lock, change either camera control or target rotation to different functions, etc.

On an indirect level, making alchemy recipes less random would help.

For newer players, I'd like a callout in the tutorial that parry is stronger against human opponents, dodge is better for monsters, and roll is best used to avoid wide attacks that dodge/parry can't cover.

Personally I really like the combat, and the only mechanical issues I have are that Geralt's non-combat movement feels a little cheap, and that Roach automatically stops at seemingly odd or inconvenient times. But I think addressing the above would help a lot.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

Guess She Who Knows wasn't lying after all.

I was glad I read that book when I looted it from that iced over town. It pretty much spells out what you should do. Though, it seems like the crones really arn't any better.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Romance subplot question for those who have beaten the game: so I told Triss I loved her because she's way cooler then Yennefer but I also banged Keira because I felt like it. Is this going to come back to bite me in the rear end down the line? I'd rather not get a bad ending because Geralt couldn't keep it in his pants

spoilers about romances: No, I romanced yen but also banged Keira. From the way the ending slides are structured I doubt it will bite you in the rear end.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

isk posted:

For newer players, I'd like a callout in the tutorial that parry is stronger against human opponents, dodge is better for monsters, and roll is best used to avoid wide attacks that dodge/parry can't cover.

I am sure I read a book that explained this....

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lord Lambeth posted:

spoilers about romances: No, I romanced yen but also banged Keira. From the way the ending slides are structured I doubt it will bite you in the rear end.

Thanks

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
"I've never... slept with a succubus." [Drink]

witcher bros, best bros.

e: "Lambert, you're a genius!" Anything that begins with those words is NOT going to end well :(

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 30, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Broose posted:

I was glad I read that book when I looted it from that iced over town. It pretty much spells out what you should do. Though, it seems like the crones really arn't any better.

Considering the spirit actually keeps to its word and rescues the children, I'd say that book is full of poo poo.
Seriously, the book portrays the crones as imprisoning the "mother" because of their love for the people of Velen, for some reason I have a hard time believing that.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 30, 2015

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Krogort posted:

Monsters are by definition creatures that arrived from other worlds during the Conjunction of the Spheres. So even 'native' monsters are descended from ones that came from other worlds. That's why domestic terrors like wolves take steel, while otherworldly humanoids take silver.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

WastedJoker posted:

I am sure I read a book that explained this....

Wouldn't be surprised it's buried in a book somewhere. I think it's even called out in the first Witcher game, in the optional dialogues with Lambert about the different sword styles. But it seems to be missed often around the horn, along with the practical differences between roll and dodge.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I can't remember where I heard it from, but the games say that Yen knew about the lodge but didn't agree with them and decided to do something her own way.

What was the something? What did she try to do? Is this brought up later in Wild Hunt? Should I be wary of supporting the lodge? They seemed like a pack that deserved a burning at the stakes, trying to be the Illuminati or whatnot.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

drat, the werewolf healing ability is ridiculous

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

vudan posted:

Make Geralt's regular movement not suck in the first place. To me a lot of the problem with combat is because the movement in the game itself is awful. I'd have given up on the game if so much else wasn't so good. If the world and characters weren't so engaging and if the game weren't so ridiculously pretty the frustrating controls would've done me in.

Funny enough, I find the controls during combat a bit easier than out of combat.

How I'd improve them? I'd like his movements to just be as simple as "press forward, go forward" instead of "press forward, take a bigass huge step forward. Wiggle yourself to the spot you want to be". Also let Geralt ride a skateboard instead of a horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

drat, the werewolf healing ability is ridiculous

That may actually be a bug, sometimes if you run outside a mob's leash area it starts to regen rapidly as it returns to its spawn point, and when you go back into its area, sometimes the regen is stuck on. A reload fixes this IME. Otherwise... moon dust.