Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Disinterested posted:

Any advice for setting up blogs? I'm trying to rationalise out my fascism posts in to blog posts so I can expand them out and link to them instead of old posts.

Blogspot is really worthless, go Wordpress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
OK. Well I'm building out from https://abriefhistoryoffascism.wordpress.com/

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I like blogspot :( What super fancy features does wordpress offer?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Ensign Expendable posted:

I like blogspot :( What super fancy features does wordpress offer?

Basically, it's super customizable, and stuff like exporting your entire blog to back it up is simple. Blogspot's ok if you're just posting some short updates or whatnot, but at least I pretty quickly tired of using it because it has a distinct lack of options.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Backup is done with a single button in settings, and I haven't run into anything I couldn't customize with the CSS editor.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tevery Best posted:

Poland used old tanks converted to armoured draisins

Armoured what now?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Cyrano4747 posted:

First off, most cavalry combat wasn't done on horseback by the time you get to the American Civil War. Horses are really big targets and react poorly to bullets. It was far, far more common for cavalry to be employed similar to how we use helicopter-lifted light infantry today: you ride the horse around when you're not in combat, giving you amazing mobility and speed compared to foot infantry, then dismount when you get to the fight. Like most highly mobile light infantry the general idea is that they can go places that are inaccessible to the main army, and having a few lightly armed men in an area is far better than no men. Same deal once you get to the various conflicts with the Plains Indians - a horse can cover a poo poo load more territory in a much shorter time than a man on foot and you really don't need a full field army to subdue a bunch of nomads.

Second, most cavalry would be armed with single shot breechloaders well into the 1870s. Custers men, for example, were armed mostly with carbine length trapdoor Springfields.

In the instances where they did engage on combat from horseback, it was pretty much all about pistols. Unless you're a high skilled rider (like most of the trick riders you see in old westerns) you really need to keep a hand on the reins - dropping the reins and loosing control of them entirely in combat would be a bad thing. Using a pistol you can keep one hand on the reins and defend yourself with the other.

As for reloading, they pretty much didn't. You know the popular image of the cavalryman or cowboy with twin pistols on his hips? That's not so he can go at it with both hands, that's because reloading on horseback is a pain in the rear end (doubly so if someone is trying to kill you and even worse if it's a cap and ball revolver) and twelve shots are better than six.
Gotcha. One last thing, I gather spin-cocking is impractical, but just how impractical/stupid? I heard that Arnold Schwarzenegger almost broke three fingers when he tried spin-cocking a real Mare's Leg sawn-off Winchester.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 29, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Benny the Snake posted:

Gotcha. One last thing, I gather spin-cocking is impractical, but just how impractical/stupid? I heard that Arnold Schwarzenegger almost broke three fingers when he tried spin-cocking a real Mare's Leg.

There's a non-zero chance that you'll shoot yourself. Always a bad thing.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Armoured what now?

Draisines are cars or other combustion - powered vehicles that have had their wheel assemblies replaced with train wheels. They're used for some railroad maintenance functions, I think.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Benny the Snake posted:

Gotcha. One last thing, I gather spin-cocking is impractical, but just how impractical/stupid? I heard that Arnold Schwarzenegger almost broke three fingers when he tried spin-cocking a real Mare's Leg sawn-off Winchester.

There was a pistol designed for cavalrymen, the Schofield or S&W Model 3. They were top break cartridge revolvers with an extractor and could supposedly be reloaded on horseback. You would hold the broken-open gun in your reins hand and reload with the other.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

I can see how early muskets may have been hilariously inaccurate. I've seen a guy try to aim down the sights of a pistol-grip-only 12-gauge shotgun, and it ended rather hilariously badly (busted lip). And that's a modern centerfire cartridge gun; the matchlock has the bonus of setting your face on fire.

When did gunstocks start including a bit to brace against your shoulder and allow aiming?

In other news:

It eventually made it to India and was rebuilt/upgraded to III* spec (though they didn't bother to mark it as such -- all the numbers match, but the stock doesn't have cutouts for the magazine cutoff or volley sight, and the magazine is a replacement with its original serial struck out and the rifle's number stamped above) and was then exported to the US. We also have a 1915 .455 Webley revolver and a bayonet for the rifle marked March '17. What are the chances that any of these things weren't used to kill a Hun or three?

Bringing it all together, the clockwork killing machine of British musketry reached its zenith with the SMLE, in the form of the "Mad Minute" -- putting as many shots as possible into a foot-wide target at 300 yards in 60 seconds. The passing grade was 15 hits; 30 was not uncommon, the record being 36 or 38, depending on who you believe. One simple trick the Boche hate: keep your thumb and forefinger on the bolt handle and pull the trigger with your middle finger.

Benny the Snake posted:

Possible (but only just, if you're really good) with a big-loop lever, but will probably break your wrist with the stock lever.

Different makes, but the stock lever (top) is pretty much the same on all of 'em.

As Cyrano said, there wasn't much in the way of reloading on horseback -- the carbines were mostly for dragooning, in a mounted charge it was however many pistols you had, then either break off and hide behind the infantry to reload, or draw your saber and put the spurs to your horse.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Unless you're a high skilled rider (like most of the trick riders you see in old westerns) you really need to keep a hand on the reins - dropping the reins and loosing control of them entirely in combat would be a bad thing. Using a pistol you can keep one hand on the reins and defend yourself with the other.
Or be a real badass and hold the reigns in your teeth. pistol in one hand and sword in the other. I don't know if that was actually a thing in real life or just a Hollywood invention, though.

Polikarpov posted:

There was a pistol designed for cavalrymen, the Schofield or S&W Model 3. They were top break cartridge revolvers with an extractor and could supposedly be reloaded on horseback. You would hold the broken-open gun in your reins hand and reload with the other.
My Webley's had the cylinder cut to take .45ACP in moonclips. I want to get some .45 Auto Rim just to experience the proper shower of brass when flipping it open.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 29, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Delivery McGee posted:

Or be a real badass and hold the reigns in your teeth. pistol in one hand and sword in the other. I don't know f that was actually a thing in real life or just a Hollywood invention, though.

I mean if you're a good rider and train your horse to some extent you can ride with just your feet.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Disinterested posted:

I mean if you're a good rider and train your horse to some extent you can ride with just your feet.

This is where someone should post stats on horse casualties

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Disinterested posted:

Given what I've seen of Napoleonic-era cavalry manuals/memoirs, and being a mediocre horseman myself, that's also a thing.

I forget the source, but back when cavalry was a thing, one of the hazing rituals boot camp things was to hold your saber at arm's length for a very long time. This was months before you'd see a horse, of course, to weed out the weaklings. A saber only weighs around three pounds/1.4kg, but it starts to wear on you surprisingly quickly.

And then once you earned a horse, you and that horse trained together until the horse knew what you were thinking, and didn't even need your heels to steer.

Speaking of cav, I've read that horses naturally avoid stepping on people, and cavalry mounts have to be trained to dance upon the enemy with their pointy hooves. Like, a normal horse will jump over a man curled into a ball on the ground. Is that true?

Also, anybody doubting the effect of cavalry has never met a horse in real life. They are huge and terrifying. Tame horses will bite your face off without a second thought. A horse trained for war, running at you at full tilt, even without the lance/saber? Yeah, I'd drop my pike and book it despite objectively knowing the horse won't run into the pike square.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Yeah I've spent a lot of time around horses and I have a lot of respect for them. Then again, most people would have spent time around large animals so I don't know what the net effect of that is psychologically - if it makes you more or less scared.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The Red Army cavalry manual tells you to reload your Nagant by holding the reins in the same hand as the gun.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

The Red Army cavalry manual tells you to reload your Nagant by holding the reins in the same hand as the gun.

Ah yes that revolver, the one that is a fixed frame so you have to unload the each chamber individually and then reload it one at a time, while hopefully not having to use the ejection rod because the casing expanded.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Chillyrabbit posted:

Ah yes that revolver, the one that is a fixed frame so you have to unload the each chamber individually and then reload it one at a time, while hopefully not having to use the ejection rod because the casing expanded.

Yes, the one the tank forces fought tooth and nail to keep because they didn't want to make pistol ports bigger.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

feedmegin posted:

Armoured what now?

Draisins. Small independently operating rail vehicles, typically used for maintenance or personnel transit. Back in the day they were typically powered by muscle strength, nowadays they have engines. Some are even converted cars. Imagine what is essentially a miniature armoured train.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

I guess you could probably do the same with a carbine Mosin and stripper clips.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

Delivery McGee posted:

I can see how early muskets may have been hilariously inaccurate. I've seen a guy try to aim down the sights of a pistol-grip-only 12-gauge shotgun, and it ended rather hilariously badly (busted lip). And that's a modern centerfire cartridge gun; the matchlock has the bonus of setting your face on fire.
The recoil of muskets are going to be much lower than a 12 gauge shotgun due to the velocity of the powder gas, projectile, and weight of the rifle itself.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Delivery McGee posted:

Also, anybody doubting the effect of cavalry has never met a horse in real life. They are huge and terrifying. Tame horses will bite your face off without a second thought. A horse trained for war, running at you at full tilt, even without the lance/saber? Yeah, I'd drop my pike and book it despite objectively knowing the horse won't run into the pike square.
Being in a pike square feels good psychologically though.

Delivery McGee posted:

When did gunstocks start including a bit to brace against your shoulder and allow aiming?
You can brace a 17th century musket against the part of your shoulder that's nearer your chest, and the last time Rodrigo Diaz and I argued about sights it turns out I was wrong and you can aim those muskets too. It won't recoil as much as modern weapons will. Also, you close your eyes and bend your head right before you pull the lever.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tevery Best posted:

Draisins. Small independently operating rail vehicles, typically used for maintenance or personnel transit. Back in the day they were typically powered by muscle strength

Wait, so is that the proper name for one of those cartoon things with a see-saw handle?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
From what I've heard, lever-action repeaters were designed specifically for mounted combat, is that true?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Trin Tragula posted:

Wait, so is that the proper name for one of those cartoon things with a see-saw handle?

Apparently those are called Kalamazoos.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That name. Simply amazing. It is like something that you'd expect would come from the mouth of an old frontiersman.

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

Being in a pike square feels good psychologically though.

So, why a square? Wouldn't a thinner rectangle allow you to control more ground with fewer troops? I would think with a square it would be hard for the guys at the back to have much of an impact on the battle - but what do I know.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kemper Boyd posted:

Blogspot is really worthless, go Wordpress.

Wordpress has had security issues but since you're not selling anything it'll be fine.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SeanBeansShako posted:

That name. Simply amazing. It is like something that you'd expect would come from the mouth of an old frontiersman.

Or people who live in Michigan.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Disinterested posted:

Attacks between social classes in Italy.

It's nice to see that most everyone agreed on one thing:

gently caress the Workers.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Delivery McGee posted:

Speaking of cav, I've read that horses naturally avoid stepping on people, and cavalry mounts have to be trained to dance upon the enemy with their pointy hooves. Like, a normal horse will jump over a man curled into a ball on the ground. Is that true?

Yes for the most part. It's my understanding that horse trainers would use straw dummies for the horses to practice on. So a drill might be, "Have the horseman charge the upright target with his lance, and then ride the horse over the adjacent dummy for them to stomp on it." They did lots of obstacle-type training, particularly during the Napoleonic Age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOyvimZuF5o

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Taerkar posted:

It's nice to see that most everyone agreed on one thing:

gently caress the Workers.

It kind of supports the analysis that fascism is a big alliance to gently caress the workers when conventional methods have failed.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

TheChimney posted:

So, why a square? Wouldn't a thinner rectangle allow you to control more ground with fewer troops? I would think with a square it would be hard for the guys at the back to have much of an impact on the battle - but what do I know.
Well, not all of them are actually square. The formations that are actually square are pretty strong--flanking doesn't matter unless you flank them while they're engaged in fighting people ahead of them at the same time (which is what happened to Tilly's escuadrons at Breitenfeld), while it's easy for them to replace losses at the front of the formation. I have also heard that the Spanish rotate their pikemen, which would mean a square formation can last longer without everyone getting tired.

Most formations are not square but they're still a lot deeper than 18th century formations, the thinnest being the Swedish with six men deep. And if pikemen in the rear ranks of these thinner formations lever their pikes over the shoulders of the men in front of them, what you get is a deep row of spearpoints, so there's still someone threatening the oncoming attackers even if a guy or two in the front rank is killed.

Musketeers can all have an effect on the combat since they rotate or, if Swedish, deploy into three-deep formations to fire salvos.

You're right, it is much less efficient than later formations, but I think it's what they can do with the technology they have.

Edit: being in the block of guys might feel reassuring, but I have heard that being attacked from a long way away is terrible for pike morale, since they don't feel like they can fight back; no matter whether or not the musketeers are accurate, at least shooting at the people who are shooting at you feels like you're doing something.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 30, 2015

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

Well, not all of them are actually square. The formations that are actually square are pretty strong--flanking doesn't matter unless you flank them while they're engaged in fighting people ahead of them at the same time (which is what happened to Tilly's escuadrons at Breitenfeld), while it's easy for them to replace losses at the front of the formation. I have also heard that the Spanish rotate their pikemen, which would mean a square formation can last longer without everyone getting tired.

Most formations are not square but they're still a lot deeper than 18th century formations, the thinnest being the Swedish with six men deep. And if pikemen in the rear ranks of these thinner formations lever their pikes over the shoulders of the men in front of them, what you get is a deep row of spearpoints, so there's still someone threatening the oncoming attackers even if a guy or two in the front rank is killed.

Musketeers can all have an effect on the combat since they rotate or, if Swedish, deploy into three-deep formations to fire salvos.

You're right, it is much less efficient than later formations, but I think it's what they can do with the technology they have.

Edit: being in the block of guys might feel reassuring, but I have heard that being attacked from a long way away is terrible for pike morale, since they don't feel like they can fight back; no matter whether or not the musketeers are accurate, at least shooting at the people who are shooting at you feels like you're doing something.

Can you paint a picture of combat from that era? I am picturing a bunch of guys in elaborate garb with oversized hats poking at each other with huge pikes, while behind them, dudes with muskets make a lot of noise and smoke.

Also - aren't you in yurop? Get some sleep.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

HEY GAL posted:

Yeah, actual square squares were more a thing in the muskets-with-bayonets days, as an "oh poo poo" tactic when cavalry came over the hill.

Gotta protect the officers.

TheChimney posted:

Can you paint a picture of combat from that era? I am picturing a bunch of guys in elaborate garb with oversized hats poking at each other with huge pikes, while behind them, dudes with muskets make a lot of noise and smoke.
Pretty much. I can't find anything good with a quick google search, but she's posted photos from reenactments.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Delivery McGee posted:

Yeah, actual square squares were more a thing in the muskets-with-bayonets days, as an "oh poo poo" tactic when cavalry came over the hill.
No, Spanish escuadrons were square, just there was a lot of other stuff going on at the time too.

TheChimney posted:

Not behind them--around them and also in front of them. If a pikeman levels his weapon straight ahead of him, that's at least like, twelve feet in front of him. A musketeer can then stand in front of him to fire and remain protected while not accidentally shooting the pikeman or setting anyone's hair on fire.

Anyway, compared to 18th century combat, 17th century combat is pretty...stately. Formations move slowly, musketeers do not fire as often as their 18th century counterparts will, and in addition to charging the cavalry does a thing called a caracole, where they ride up to a pike/musket block, the first row shoots at people, then they peel off and withdraw to the back of the cavalry formation to reload while the next rank fires, etc. There might be times during a fight where you just stand there for hours without doing very much at all; as at Breitenfeld, when for the first two hours the artillery just traded shots (I don't think the technology is good enough to have a real "artillery duel" yet) until Pappenheim got tired of not doing anything cav-related and he and his people just charged the Swedish right on their own.

Not that it isn't deadly; for instance, nearly all the senior Imperial officers at Luetzen had been at least wounded. (Even Wallenstein had been shot at, but (as the observers maintained) only bruised on the thigh because, you know. Wizard.)

Hand to hand infantry combat is as confusing and frightening as it will be later, but it's probably even more awkward and difficult since pikes are so long. You can use the musket as a club; in fact, it's designed for that.

quote:

Also - aren't you in yurop? Get some sleep.
Not for another two weeks!

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 30, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

HEY GAL posted:

Not for another two weeks!
Two weeks till Europe or till sleep? :v:
Did your guys drink coffee? What did they do to stay awake? No Pervitin yet.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Wordpress has had security issues but since you're not selling anything it'll be fine.

More like, wordpress has more holes than swiss cheese. But sure for a personal blog it is very suitable.

Who in Russia is responsible for keeping nuclear secrets? Is there anything there like the U.S. military/DOE dynamic?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Disinterested posted:

Yeah I've spent a lot of time around horses and I have a lot of respect for them. Then again, most people would have spent time around large animals so I don't know what the net effect of that is psychologically - if it makes you more or less scared.
I have spent just enough time around racehorses to realise that they are assholes who enjoy starting fights, but they spook easy. Also due to a quirk of Irish culture I was on the receiving end of a cavalry charge when I was 10 or so. Fuckkan' skangers, I tell ya...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Also due to a quirk of Irish culture I was on the receiving end of a cavalry charge when I was 10 or so. Fuckkan' skangers, I tell ya...

Bwuh? Do tell. Does it have something to do with the Marching Days?

• Locked thread