Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

The major downside with a roller, though, is that if you pick a fight with someone who sees you coming, you will most likely lose that fight (unless they happen to have terrible aim or be low on ink). Roller play is all about stealth-- both in terms of sneaking up on people to splat them, and spending quality time painting unguarded areas.

Yeah, the best advice I can give to play as a roller is to squid away the moment you get hit by something (if you can). You might still die, but there's a chance you're going to live. You're probably not going to live if you try to run into someone's face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Crasical posted:

What the hell do the Squid Sisters have on their heads? It looks like a scrub brush and a small bowl worn as hats.

An abalone and a barnacle, I think.

Or maybe sushi and an oversized sucker.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

The major downside with a roller, though, is that if you pick a fight with someone who sees you coming, you will most likely lose that fight (unless they happen to have terrible aim or be low on ink). Roller play is all about stealth-- both in terms of sneaking up on people to splat them, and spending quality time painting unguarded areas.

The range isn't much of a downside considering the bulletspread on most of the other weapons and how tricky it is to actually pivot and aim a tablet in two hands while also strafing around as opposed to just walking forward or slapping the ink roller. I understood it as being a paint coverage weapon but they're also consistently the topfraggers in the games I'm seeing. You can sneak up on someone and pop out of the ink and just slap them to death and often they can't twist their arms quick enough to fight back.

They're pretty mindless for how much damage, mobility-hinderance and paint coverage they actually do and they're so far the one joyless element of this game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Reiley posted:

You can sneak up on someone and pop out of the ink and just slap them to death and often they can't twist their arms quick enough to fight back.
You're supposed to use the stick to turn quickly though.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Crasical posted:

What the hell do the Squid Sisters have on their heads? It looks like a scrub brush and a small bowl worn as hats.

Purple has a type of Nigiri, Green is wearing a condiment bowl.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Reiley posted:

The range isn't much of a downside considering the bulletspread on most of the other weapons and how tricky it is to actually pivot and aim a tablet in two hands while also strafing around as opposed to just walking forward or slapping the ink roller. I understood it as being a paint coverage weapon but they're also consistently the topfraggers in the games I'm seeing. You can sneak up on someone and pop out of the ink and just slap them to death and often they can't twist their arms quick enough to fight back.

They're pretty mindless for how much damage, mobility-hinderance and paint coverage they actually do and they're so far the one joyless element of this game.

the krakon is fun tho

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Reiley posted:

Use the stick to turn. The motion controls should be for fine aiming.

And if I see a roller I'm usually happy as it's like a free kill.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 30, 2015

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
My Target didn't have the squirt guns, so I asked for a rain check and instead they offered to lower the price of the game by the cost of the squirt gun. Their inventory listed that thing for 12.99! So I basically got my game + the girl inkling Amiibo (an impulse buy) for just the cost of the game. :D

Question, though -- the Amiibo-unlocked challenges are making me use the Splattershot. I hate the Splattershot. Am I stuck using it in all the challenges forever and ever or will it stick me with a new weapon the next time I tap my new toy to the gamepad?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Emalde posted:

Purple has a type of Nigiri, Green is wearing a condiment bowl.

Thaaat makes sense. Sort of. Good enough.

I was wondering why a species as fashionable as the inklings are supposed to be had their idol singers wearing random human objects as hats, it seemed kind of gaga-esque. Having the pair sushi-themed explains things.

Though poor Marie, being the designated side-dish of the duo.

EDIT:

oopsie rock posted:

Question, though -- the Amiibo-unlocked challenges are making me use the Splattershot. I hate the Splattershot. Am I stuck using it in all the challenges forever and ever or will it stick me with a new weapon the next time I tap my new toy to the gamepad?

I believe the Amiibo challenges are weapon-specific. Inkling girl is charger, Inkling guy is roller, Squid is limited-ink and kraken-mode.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Elenkis posted:

Use the stick to turn. The motion controls should be for fine aiming.

And if I see a roller I'm usually happy as it's like a free kill.

Rollers usually have a decent escape route unless you gang up on em.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
So are those news segments literally only for telling you about new maps? I thought it was a kind of dumb/cute thing at first, but I don't really care to keep seeing that pop up every time I play or they switch out the maps.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Running away is the most vital skill to learn in this game

A SEXY MISTAKE
Nov 4, 2005

got to make some space

MaxDuo posted:

So are those news segments literally only for telling you about new maps? I thought it was a kind of dumb/cute thing at first, but I don't really care to keep seeing that pop up every time I play or they switch out the maps.

They'll probably tell you about Splatfests and other special events as they come up.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Crasical posted:

Thaaat makes sense. Sort of. Good enough.

I believe the Amiibo challenges are weapon-specific. Inkling girl is charger, Inkling guy is roller, Squid is limited-ink and kraken-mode.

Oh noooo that's a bummer!

Oh well. On the bright side, I am getting experience with a weapon I would've otherwise avoided forever. And I'm generally a roller user so the aiming practice isn't so bad either.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So the goon consensus (ugh) is that this is fun, right? I've been playing a lot of Destiny lately and I feel like this would be a perfect 2nd shooter to have when I need something more silly and relaxing vs serious. I'm not bothered by the lack of content or anything, I'm mostly curious about the feel of the game, the polish, customization, etc.

What couch coop options are there?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One local Vs mode with one player on screen and one on Gamepad.

Nothing else for couch.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

MrFlibble posted:

Rollers usually have a decent escape route unless you gang up on em.

I think most players are just still too new to realise that escape is a good tactic, so they just slowly run at me with their rollers and get splatted. I hardly see anyone past level 10 that uses them, though I'm sure that will change in the coming days.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kilometers Davis posted:

So the goon consensus (ugh) is that this is fun, right? I've been playing a lot of Destiny lately and I feel like this would be a perfect 2nd shooter to have when I need something more silly and relaxing vs serious. I'm not bothered by the lack of content or anything, I'm mostly curious about the feel of the game, the polish, customization, etc.

What couch coop options are there?

Its a ton of fun, but unfortunately not a couch co-op game really. You'll have to trade off. There is a 1-v-1 mode but its minimal.

Good single player and online multiplayer though, for sure.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
Goons should add NNID: nerdboyhimself and roll/be rolled.

(After all these years, it finally comes out what that name stands for...)

ETA: USA / Krak-On Roller

AKA: Krak'up in yo' rear end with the resurrection

NBHS fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 30, 2015

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00VHWMK44/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Splatoon 3-pack amiibos for $35 is live

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Lots of people must not be using the motion controls. I'm terrible at shooters but I'm consistently ranking first in points and K/D thanks to the gyro aim.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And it didn't sell out in seconds like some of the others. I was actually able to get an order placed. Yay!

I'm having a blast with the game. Mostly been doing single player, but I played some Turf War too and got to level 5. One time my team won handily and only at the end did I realize that we'd had one player be AFK/disconnected the entire time. So that was pretty cool.

I definitely feel the annoyance with the way the stage selection currently works. Having it limited to 2 is one thing, but the automatic selection between the two doesn't even seem to try to give you an even balance of both maps. I haven't gotten to play on Walleye Warehouse once tonight. Though at least that meant I learned the Skate Park really well.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Reiley posted:

Use the map more, and try to pay attention to ink patterns in the environment. When you see a big solid line of ink heading in a direction, assume the roller just went that way. Rollers are a really visible presence, and you can easily get the jump on them or get in a good position to take them out. Map awareness and know ledge makes a huge difference, once you have those you'll go from dying to them a lot to dying to them almost never (unless you're also a roller, in which case have fun dueling!)

That said, apparently the gold spray-paint gun (it's a level 13 campaign unlock, I think?) is apparently stupid good, virtually everyone I've seen using it has done really well.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Sold out, now up to $60 :negative:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

That said, apparently the gold spray-paint gun (it's a level 13 campaign unlock, I think?) is apparently stupid good, virtually everyone I've seen using it has done really well.

yeah, that thing seems really hosed up, guess I gotta get my story on soon

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Reiley posted:

Paint rollers are like the heavy weapons guy of this game, that is a lot of power for not having to aim on top of covering so much ground with paint.

There was a fantastic moment in a match I had earlier, where I was running towards one of my teammates fighting someone on the other team. I realized what was going on as I got closer.... they were both using rollers and just running in a perfect circle, chasing each other. I wanted to stop and watch it, but instead I just tossed a bomb between.

A SEXY MISTAKE posted:

They'll probably tell you about Splatfests and other special events as they come up.

I really wish they would've released the game with a second battle mode, rather than saving it for future DLC. I'm pretty sure they mentioned one of the modes last year at E3 in a side thing, and expected the game would launch with 2-3 modes. As fun as it is, I'd love to switch things up from doing Turf Wars over and over, with the only change being the 2 stages you fight on rotating every 4 hours or whatever.

Then again, perhaps this was to encourage us to sleep and take breaks from being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid being a squid being a kid .....

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 30, 2015

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I've still got more weapons to unlock, but all the weapons that seemed powerful when they were splatting me have turned out to have fair and appropriate deficiencies when I tried them for myself. I'm pretty content with the balance so far, and I don't think any of the weapons or weapon-types are boring or unfair.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
This game really feels like they needed to add-in more poo poo to do. I'm done with the single player campaign already and Multiplayer needs more modes or something. It really feels like half a game, and I'm not all that keen on keeping things gated behind leveling up.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Splatoon... is Good.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
So does the store ever get more cloths? I bought all the initial ones and there still isn't anything new.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Spacebump posted:

So does the store ever get more cloths? I bought all the initial ones and there still isn't anything new.

The cat says they update daily

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm guessing the stores rotate their clothes daily.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

DoctorWhat posted:

Splatoon... is Good.

It's hovering around the same ratings as Ubisoft and Activision yearly releases

Squids may have many legs but this game has none.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
This thread has many taints.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.
I have not had this much fun in a game since the battle stages on Mario Kart 64. This game is just incredible. And this is coming from someone who HATES shooting games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

da anime bulldog posted:

I have not had this much fun in a game since the battle stages on Mario Kart 64. This game is just incredible. And this is coming from someone who HATES shooting games.

Goldeneye had more poo poo to do in it than Splatoon.

Seriously where the gently caress is the rest of the game?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

Goldeneye had more poo poo to do in it than Splatoon.

Seriously where the gently caress is the rest of the game?

coming "summer 2015"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I dont think I've seen a team without a roller beat one with one barring those teams that have 4 rollers for some reason.

Also dear nintendo I don't mind waiting an extra minute or two to fight people who live within 700 miles of me, i promise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Is that the Aereopray RG? I've seen some Japanese players owning games with that thing tonight.

quote:

I dont think I've seen a team without a roller beat one with one barring those teams that have 4 rollers for some reason.

I see it all the time. I've literally been on teams with 0 rollers that have dominated teams that have rollers in them. Rollers are rad but they really aren't overpowered or anything.

Level 15 and that's me done for tonight.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 30, 2015

• Locked thread