Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pro Target

its a factor the same way that putting points into your Call Of Duty Guy is a factor i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Can't you just call it an action rpg? Also levels are totally a factor in skyrim, don't be stupid ptarget.

----------------

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

beating dark souls at level 1 is very doable. cant really say the same for a final fantasy game

Pro Target

you can't call it a roleplaying game because you arent playing the role of your character, you are playing the role of someone with the reflexes to do the sdtuff that you do in the game. again, it doesnt really make sense that a 90 year old wizard would be able to 360 NoScope Lightning Bolt a guy and then turn around and block a greatsword with his shield

drilldo squirt

Final fantasy has way too much to do with numbers for me to be comfortable with it.

----------------

drilldo squirt

Pro Target posted:

you can't call it a roleplaying game because you arent playing the role of your character, you are playing the role of someone with the reflexes to do the sdtuff that you do in the game. again, it doesnt really make sense that a 90 year old wizard would be able to 360 NoScope Lightning Bolt a guy and then turn around and block a greatsword with his shield

It does if you want the game to be fun.

----------------

Pro Target

drilldo squirt posted:

It does if you want the game to be fun.

then you should acll the game what it is, an action game

drilldo squirt

It's a roll playing game with action in it. You're playing a roll, fool, the hero.

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
I define an RPG by having control over the story and having decent writing not whether the combat is strategy or action

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

drilldo squirt posted:

roll playing game

4e player spotted

Pro Target

Pomp posted:

I define an RPG by having control over the story and having decent writing not whether the combat is strategy or action

this is basically any singleplayer game at this point

Pro Target

I define a roleplaying game as a game where you play the role of your character.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

muscle wizards can no scope lightning bolt and punch holes through people which makes them superior to nerd wizards

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

drilldo squirt

Chill la Chill posted:

muscle wizards can no scope lightning bolt and punch holes through people which makes them superior to nerd wizards

THis is what makes skyim top tier.

----------------

drilldo squirt

Pro Target posted:

I define a roleplaying game as a game where you play the role of your character.

You play the role of a hero dude.

----------------

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

drilldo squirt posted:

THis is what makes skyim top tier.

yeah, that and the good design decision to get rid of the extra layer of attribute points that most paper RPGs haven't realized yet

drilldo squirt

Jrpgs are trash for idiots willing to put in the time to learn their retarded systems.

----------------

drilldo squirt

Note: smt4 and pokemon are exceptions.

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

Pro Target posted:

this is basically any singleplayer game at this point

Do you actually not understand the difference between playing through a story and a game where you make choices that impact that story and a bunch of smaller stories

Pro Target

drilldo squirt posted:

Jrpgs are trash for idiots willing to put in the time to learn their retarded systems.

actually, the best rpgs are older western rpgs, such as the gold box d&d games

Pro Target

Pomp posted:

Do you actually not understand the difference between playing through a story and a game where you make choices that impact that story and a bunch of smaller stories

yes, but neither of those things make it an rpg

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
This is like a bizarro "4e is a roll playing game" argument

Pro Target

Yeah. its hosed up that im using the radical definition for roleplaying game of "playing the role of your character"

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

drilldo squirt posted:

drilldo squirt posted:

Note: smt and pokemon are exceptions.

Ff12 is good too :evilbuddy:

drilldo squirt

Pro Target posted:

actually, the best rpgs are older western rpgs, such as the gold box d&d games

I like baldur's gate, I don't know if that's what you mean but if so I agree.

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

Pro Target posted:

Yeah. its hosed up that im using the radical definition for roleplaying game of "playing the role of your character"

You could make a lot of pen and paper forums legit screaming mad with these posts. Please do that and post the results

drilldo squirt

If you like baldur's gate you will like pillars of eternity, which is really good.

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

drilldo squirt posted:

Gold box games were the first person party based dungeon crawls, like legend of grimrock was inspired by

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Pomp posted:

This is like a bizarro "4e is a roll playing game" argument

the best part about those were people whining about MMOs and tabletop miniatures when D&D was always that

Pro Target

drilldo squirt posted:

i like baldurs gate, though im not a huge fan of realtime w/ pause since it sacrifices whats good about realtime and turn based

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

Chill la Chill posted:

the best part about those were people whining about MMOs and tabletop miniatures when D&D was always that

I like the people who get real upset about non-spellcasters being worthwhile past level 10

drilldo squirt

I kind of feel it gives you the best of both since actions happens in real time and you get to plan your stuff out.

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
It was really obvious it was some nerd superiority complex about athletes

Pro Target

drilldo squirt posted:

I kind of feel it gives you the best of both since actions happens in real time and you get to plan your stuff out.

the planning is imprecise and unpredictable and the start-and-stop rhythm ruins the visceral feel of realtime combat

drilldo squirt

Like sure you can abuse it but that's up the the dude playing the game and I don't care how they play the game since it's single player.

----------------

drilldo squirt

Pro Target posted:

the planning is imprecise and unpredictable and the start-and-stop rhythm ruins the visceral feel of realtime combat

I'd agree if you are only playing one person but it's kind of necessary if you have a whole party you have to give orders to.

----------------

Pro Target

i disagree cause it works in games like pool of radiance but w/e. im not going to lose sleep over rtwp games

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

you can just set autopause after actions and play it basically turn based

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Pomp posted:

yeah lol I never understood why when sports taught you important life lessons. but that was a false dichotomy and why I always posit the existence of muscle wizards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt

Pomp posted:

How so? That would be hilarious.

----------------