Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

bunnielab posted:

Assuming I don't want to roll for stats for an hour, what is a good "fair" number to use for a EEKeeper points buy?

You can use EEKeeper to roll stats in your character files / saved games. I believe it's much more generous with points than the game itself, if that tickles your cheat-bone a little less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
84 is my normal minimum, but I've rolled a few with 90. I keep rerolling on fighter types until they have over 18/75 str too.

Selane
May 19, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm fairly sure you can finish the game without using enchanted items.

Maybe you could, but it'd be pretty grueling. A ton of stuff requires enchanted weapons to hit, so you'd have to kill all that stuff with magic damage. And a lot is magic resistant so you'd need to be casting Lower Resistance like it was going out of style.

Cantorsdust posted:

Kangaax requires a +4, is there anything requiring a +5?

Nope, nothing requires +5 enchantment to hit, and the only things that require +4 are Kangaxx, that other demilich in Watcher's Keep, the fallen solar , Aurumach Rilmani, and the Ravager.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I think I'll give it a go

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I think I'll give it a go

That sounds interesting, post your strategies as you come to them.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

No enchanted items of any kind, so no basically no items beyond mundane armour and weapons? What about potions?

I suppose a Sorcerer or other magic-based character would get by alright. Bounty Hunter possibly with heavy trap cheese. Hmmmm

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

That sounds interesting, post your strategies as you come to them.

I sense a post coming from the future!

Melf's Minute Meteors and Traps on a solo M/T

[edit]

gently caress it, let's go the whole hog. C/T solo, no potions or scrolls or enchanted weapons/armour/ammunition

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 17, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

(I won't be starting until next weekend)

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
This makes me want to do an all mage party for some reason. Just spewing magic everywhere.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I'm kinda enjoying only halfway resolving things in BG1. Stole Tazok's poo poo but didn't wipe out the bandits, just offed Daevoran but didn't bother flooding the mine. Unfortunately Yeslick was whiny about that second bit so he had to be dumped before going into Baldur's Gate. Guess it's as good of a time as ever to go grab Angelo's daughter so that bit plays out differently than it has in past runs.

Washout posted:

This makes me want to do an all mage party for some reason. Just spewing magic everywhere.
Sounds fun, but also like it'd be the glass cannon party.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

At which level can I clear the Bandit Camp comfortably in BG:EE? I want Kivan, but I'm still level 2 with most of my party (Berserker/Minsc/Jaheira/Imoen/Neera).

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Mystic Stylez posted:

At which level can I clear the Bandit Camp comfortably in BG:EE? I want Kivan, but I'm still level 2 with most of my party (Berserker/Minsc/Jaheira/Imoen/Neera).

I always like to clear out all the random areas before I do the bandit camp, but it's really not all that hard except in the tent, as long as you use a ton of potions (protection haste etc) you should be alright.

Parts Kit posted:

I'm kinda enjoying only halfway resolving things in BG1. Stole Tazok's poo poo but didn't wipe out the bandits, just offed Daevoran but didn't bother flooding the mine. Unfortunately Yeslick was whiny about that second bit so he had to be dumped before going into Baldur's Gate. Guess it's as good of a time as ever to go grab Angelo's daughter so that bit plays out differently than it has in past runs.

Sounds fun, but also like it'd be the glass cannon party.

It is actually super hard right at the beginning, I didn't get level 2 on CHARNAME before I got Xan so now I have Xan me and Edwin, I can't get Neera because that fight is too hard for 3 level 1 mages and I'm actually struggling to get to the gnoll stronghold.

Edit: Struggling to get any XP anywhere, now I'm probably going to roam around and find all the easy to complete quests since even winter or die wolves kill my dudes.

Washout fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 21, 2015

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

Washout posted:

I always like to clear out all the random areas before I do the bandit camp, but it's really not all that hard except in the tent, as long as you use a ton of potions (protection haste etc) you should be alright.

That being said, I'd put a couple more levels under your belt before you try it. Being level 2 will make it very hard, impossible if you don't know what you're doing.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, level 3 should be fine but level 2 means half your party can go down in a round of arrow fire from bandits if you're unlucky.

Also, go straight for the bandit camp, don't explore the forest areas around it. There are Black Talon Elites that can spawn there and they can straight up one-shot a level 2 character.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

Level 3, or 4 if you got low HP rolls, should be enough. If you have them, Sleep is still useful, as is Web (a game-breakingly powerful spell in the mid-game) combined with ranged weapons.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Thanks, guys! Another question: Any ideas if chaning the movement speed of your characters through Shadow/EEKeeper changes their attack rate too? Or only the walking speed?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Number of attacks per round is entirely separate from movement speed

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
The paws of the cheetah say in the item description that they double movement speed but wearing them shows the haste icon. Does the wearer get extra attacks as if hasted?

I should have found out the answer to this years ago but I always wear the boots of speed so it is just a curiosity thing.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
No, just double movement speed. Oil of Speed potions give you both double movement and an extra attack. The movement increases stack, so you can get 4x movement with both combined.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Draile posted:

The paws of the cheetah say in the item description that they double movement speed but wearing them shows the haste icon. Does the wearer get extra attacks as if hasted?

I should have found out the answer to this years ago but I always wear the boots of speed so it is just a curiosity thing.

The boots are a bit buggy actually, at least in the vanilla game, Im not sure if the EE fixed it. They show your character as attacking at twice the normal rate, as in the animation for twice as many attacks will play, but only the normal number are rolled.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Ilyich posted:

No, just double movement speed. Oil of Speed potions give you both double movement and an extra attack. The movement increases stack, so you can get 4x movement with both combined.
This is also quite hilarious.

I offed Lothandor in BG1 for his Boots of Speed and Marek didn't show up. Fortunately adding MarekMove = 1 with EEKeeper fixed that so my characters wouldn't die in the remaining 8 days when I realized I was hosed.

Backstabs still continue to cure the poo poo out of mages, and let me get all the possible loot for the Nymph quest without any real effort.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Update on my all mage party, my 3 mages have finally all hit level 2, this is hard as poo poo. You don't get to level quickly like you would as a solo mage, but you still have all the drawbacks. Still not able to do the rebalanced nashkel mines or fight things like cave bears and winter wolves, they wreck me. Maybe once they all hit level 3 I can not be so afraid of every little ogre or whatever that I come across.

Edit: I gave up, kind of, since I can't get two more mages/sorc right away I picked up kagen and tiax until I can get them. That let me get neera and I have a party of 6 now and won't die to cave bears anymore.

Washout fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 23, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Washout posted:

Update on my all mage party, my 3 mages have finally all hit level 2, this is hard as poo poo. You don't get to level quickly like you would as a solo mage, but you still have all the drawbacks. Still not able to do the rebalanced nashkel mines or fight things like cave bears and winter wolves, they wreck me. Maybe once they all hit level 3 I can not be so afraid of every little ogre or whatever that I come across.
Do you roll for hit points or just have it set to give you the maximum at level up?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Washout posted:

You could always go and cheese the basiliks with everyones best buddy Korax

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

netcat posted:

You could always go and cheese the basiliks with everyones best buddy Korax

I got Tiax so after I clear the mines and get Xar and dump Kagen I'll go cheese the basklisks and kill drizzt with the wand of monster summoning.

Wizard Styles posted:

Do you roll for hit points or just have it set to give you the maximum at level up?

Max

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I'm almost disappointed to see you didn't go for total masochism, although that's probably the only sane way of doing this.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have a run in progress with a PC Dwarven Defender, Neera, and Imoen immediately dueled to Mage. Sort of a wacky sitcom thing.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Wizard Styles posted:

I'm almost disappointed to see you didn't go for total masochism, although that's probably the only sane way of doing this.

It took like 4 days of frustrated rage quitting to get level 2, idk how long it would have taken to get level 3 before I could have even gotten neera. Probably just needed to go cheese the basilisks really.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
What happens when a character is given the Claw of Kazgorath, gets into an unwinnable fight (Ulrant :argh:), gets his HP knocked to nearly zero, and chugs that cursed Violet Potion?
This does:

The game took a good minute to realize the main character was dead. Had the controls not disappeared right after that screenshot I probably could have had the other characters running around doing poo poo.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Apparently Beamdog's new game is just about finished and they're recording VA now.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

Apparently Beamdog's new game is just about finished and they're recording VA now.

O M G, all over it like white on rice. I didn't know it was going to be coming out so soon. This is the one using 5th edition DND rules right?

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

Washout posted:

O M G, all over it like white on rice. I didn't know it was going to be coming out so soon. This is the one using 5th edition DND rules right?

You're thinking of Sword Coast Legends, I believe. This is more like Baldur's Gate 1.5.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Basic Chunnel posted:

Are you referring to Tides of Numenera? If so, I am surprised... I thought that it was going to be quite a while yet. Then again, they made so much dosh in that Kickstarter that they may well have been able to afford to warp the fabric of space-time.

Washout posted:

Nycticeius posted:

You're thinking of Sword Coast Legends, I believe. This is more like Baldur's Gate 1.5.

I am excited for this also.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Some Article about Beamdog posted:

Beamdog has confirmed that the mysterious "Adventure Y" is in fact a new Baldur's Gate game. It won't be a sequel, however, but will instead take place in the gap between the Enhanced Editions of the original game and Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn.

Wtf, bridging the gap between the two games? What gap was there between the two? You import directly from BG into BG2... Idk where they plan on taking the storyline just that they said it will follow along in the Bhaalspawn storyline.

All I was able to find was a quote of a quote someone else was talking about.

There’s an idea that the Adventure Y takes place after Sarevok's defeat and shreds some light on those “circumstances much darker than anyone would have thought” under which the Bhaalspawn left for Amn. So this adventure would probably take place between the two games and end with the Bhaalspawn getting captured by Irenicus.

Washout fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 30, 2015

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Washout posted:

Wtf, bridging the gap between the two games? What gap was there between the two? You import directly from BG into BG2... Idk where they plan on taking the storyline just that they said it will follow along in the Bhaalspawn storyline.

All I was able to find was a quote of a quote someone else was talking about.

There’s an idea that the Adventure Y takes place after Sarevok's defeat and shreds some light on those “circumstances much darker than anyone would have thought” under which the Bhaalspawn left for Amn. So this adventure would probably take place between the two games and end with the Bhaalspawn getting captured by Irenicus.

This actually seems perfectly reasonable to me, to make a "bridge" game that links the story. BG1 ends with the protagonist killing Sarevok underneath Baldur's Gate, and the second one begins with you imprisoned in a cellar in Amn by some nutter with no real explanation I can recall as for why. I mean, be fair... there is no real segue between 1 and 2 and being able to import the few things that are importable is being fairly generous. I doubt that they are going to make players import from BG1 to this to BG2 and, given that Beamdog's EE remakes have gotten steadily stronger with each iteration, I think that another game in the engine will probably be both welcome and pretty good.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

JustJeff88 posted:

This actually seems perfectly reasonable to me, to make a "bridge" game that links the story. BG1 ends with the protagonist killing Sarevok underneath Baldur's Gate, and the second one begins with you imprisoned in a cellar in Amn by some nutter with no real explanation I can recall as for why. I mean, be fair... there is no real segue between 1 and 2 and being able to import the few things that are importable is being fairly generous. I doubt that they are going to make players import from BG1 to this to BG2 and, given that Beamdog's EE remakes have gotten steadily stronger with each iteration, I think that another game in the engine will probably be both welcome and pretty good.

What level gap though? Seems pretty strange to have no character progression by the numbers, sure it could be more in the vein of being all about gear or something, but that's a pretty radical departure from the series thus far.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

And if they did let you import from bg 1.5 or whatever this is, you would probably hit the 8m level cap. But that's not necessarily all that bad, it would just make the first half of bg2 a cakewalk, well probably the whole thing would be. They'll probably just do some hand waving and say that this part of the story is fine but since you get tortured and poo poo by irenicus that's why you lose all levels back down to level 8 or something. It would be kind of neat if this adventure Y lets you import from BG1 with all your gear.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Okay, I will put my hands up to that. Presumably the intervening adventure would lead to character advancement, but that is just as bonkers as having a level cap in the first place. It is essentially a metaphorical brick wall that says "No matter what you do, you can learn no more from anything." What I am saying is that, in either case, a certain amount of suspension of disbelief is required.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah I'll be really interested to see how they handle the levels because either the game will be really short, you're going to end up with gently caress all character development, or you'll be way over levelled for BG2

Considering they're claiming to have 500,000 words of dialogue I'm guessing it's not the first of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Being overlevelled for BG2 is half the fun and the non-linearity of the main part of the game means most players will be absurdly strong for some quests if they are completionist in any way.