Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shadow Hog posted:

That's generally the one I've seen suggested as best for getting that achievement. Walk into the room with the Cyberdemon; let him fruitlessly try shooting you, pissing off the Barons of Hell inbetween you and him; walk out for a while until the Cyberdemon takes out all the Barons in that room, then come back; grab Invincibility; switch to fist; go to town. I'm pretty sure there's even a Berserk Pack in one of the rooms that you can use to expedite the last step.

I forget if the Cyberdemon will often die to the Barons or not, though.

I don't know how often it occurs, but I've seen it happen. So save before walking in there lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

G/Zdoom have a specific license that forbids selling of them, and they've got way way higher system requirements than Chocolate Doom.

So how can Doom Touch for Android exist? It has GZDoom and costs money.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Because mobile marketplaces have obscenely lax policing.

EDIT: ...or the below post. (My statement isn't entirely untruthful, just inapplicable.)

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 29, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nokiaman posted:

So how can Doom Touch for Android exist? It has GZDoom and costs money.

Beloko removed the non-commercial code from Doom Touch's fork of GZDoom. This is why he's using GZDoom (in addition to Choco and PrB+) and not plain old ZDoom: the software renderer was removed entirely to get rid of Build-licensed code. The OPL stuff was cleaned out as well to get rid of MAME-licensed code. Finally, the last obstacle is FMOD Ex, I forgot whether he bought a license from Firelight (it's cheap enough for small projects) or used the OpenAL branch to get rid of FMOD entirely, either/or.

Anyway, don't worry about it, the guy behind Doom Touch has been cautious and there are no license issues with it despite the inclusion of GZDoom.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captain_Red posted:

90's PC Zone was a wondrous time :allears:

Ahahaha its a dinky little electric chainsaw that isn't even plugged in :haw:

Blzut3
Jun 14, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

Finally, the last obstacle is FMOD Ex, I forgot whether he bought a license from Firelight (it's cheap enough for small projects) or used the OpenAL branch to get rid of FMOD entirely, either/or.
He actually upgraded the engine to FMOD Studio which has a free commercial use license. Was kind of surprised he didn't just buy an FMOD Ex license myself.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Keiya posted:

Man how come S3DNA gets steam achievements, but not Doom? Even if they'd probably have to be dumb, like... RIP AND TEAR: Get a beserker pack. Shoot It Until It Dies: Kill a Cyberdemon. Things like that.

On the other hand, Doom from Steam is completely DRM free because it's just the original files in DOSBOX rather than any attempt at picking an official port and modify it to support acheivements and probably lock out WADs and poo poo so you can't cheat them.

Tippis posted:

In general maybe, but Quake is a pretty poor example in that case. It was available on Mac as well as on PC, and the original PC version is as compatible with modern PC OSes as the original Mac version is with modern Mac OSes.

In both cases, you'll either want a source port of some kind (meaning the original OS is irrelevant) or you want an emulation layer (meaning the current OS is irrelevant). So what's available now compared to what it was available on back then is a non-argument no matter what. Not making Quake available for OSX has no reasonable excuse, and only one explanation: laziness.

There's no easy open source MacOS-box thing to use for classic Mac OS games because working emulators require either a startup ROM or a complete reimplementation of classic MacOS.

Meanwhile, FreeDOS does exist and that's why releasing things works. But you don't see a WindowsBOX!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's no easy open source MacOS-box thing to use for classic Mac OS games because working emulators require either a startup ROM or a complete reimplementation of classic MacOS.

Meanwhile, FreeDOS does exist and that's why releasing things works. But you don't see a WindowsBOX!

My point is that to release it for PC, you already have to use source ports or emulation layers, and if you're doing that for windows, you might as well do it for OSX since the the original platform becomes irrelevant. If you're taking the emulation route, you could use the same original irrespective of the target platform; if you're taking the source port route, all that's left of the original is the game data, which once again will be the same irrespective of the target platform.

If the System 7 version is hard to get to run on OSX because of the ROMs, then simply don't use that version — give the OSX users the same DOS and/or source port + original data version the Windows users get.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Really, the biggest reason that Doom and Quake aren't Steamplay is because they were released before Steam had an OSX or Linux client, and they've never been updated. It's sheer laziness.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Elliotw2 posted:

Really, the biggest reason that Doom and Quake aren't Steamplay is because they were released before Steam had an OSX or Linux client, and they've never been updated. It's sheer laziness.

As a mac gamer, this is very true. I couldn't tell you how many games I have on Steam that are both from before 2010 and PC-only.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

Pretty much. I can't really think of a game it has happened to unless it's from some developer that's heavily invested in being multi-platform, for whatever reason, or it's from Valve themselves and therefore helps their own attempts at expanding their market into every nook and cranny.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Tippis posted:

Then you're not using the original quake.exe, since it was a spectacular DOS hack through and through, and requires direct hardware access to a level that modern OSes simply will not allow. Well, that, or your brand new Windows computer is runing Win95 and exiting to DOS when you run the game.

If you're talking about WinQuake, then maybe, but it is also not the original: it's a source port that just proves the point.

Many copies of Quake came with WinQuake as the default executable. I don't think the OEM copy I once had even had a DOS executable at all.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

Many copies of Quake came with WinQuake as the default executable. I don't think the OEM copy I once had even had a DOS executable at all.

Sure, after '98 or so, that's probably how it came pre-packaged most everywhere. It's more that I don't buy the argument “it was originally a PC game” because going by the original release version, it would't even be available on windows these days.

The difference between a modern Mac and a modern Windows machine (both of which are almost interchangeable PCs) is far smaller than the difference between a modern Windows machine and the DOS machine Quake originally ran on.

Of course, if we want to talk about the mess that is source port distribution licenses,, then it's a different matter. It kind of leads full circle to the original problem: why do they make it such a faff to get hold of the only part anyone really wants, which is the game data? Wouldn't it be nice if we could just get that from Steam (or wherever) — entirely independently of the platform — and then pick our own choice of binaries to run them with? With more and more classics finding their way onto various distribution platforms, and with already-involved enthusiasts being the most likely audience, wouldn't that just solve a lot of problems in one go?

Tippis fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 30, 2015

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Tippis posted:

In general maybe, but Quake is a pretty poor example in that case. It was available on Mac as well as on PC, and the original PC version is as compatible with modern PC OSes as the original Mac version is with modern Mac OSes.

In both cases, you'll either want a source port of some kind (meaning the original OS is irrelevant) or you want an emulation layer (meaning the current OS is irrelevant). So what's available now compared to what it was available on back then is a non-argument no matter what. Not making Quake available for OSX has no reasonable excuse, and only one explanation: laziness.

WinQuake actually still runs on Win8.1. It's just terrble.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Tippis posted:

Sure, after '98 or so, that's probably how it came pre-packaged most everywhere. It's more that I don't buy the argument “it was originally a PC game” because going by the original release version, it would't even be available on windows these days.

IMO that's overly pedantic. WinQuake (and GLQuake for that matter) was released quite quickly, back when id was actively developing Quake. But by the time OS X came out, Quake 1 was deep in their back catalog. Also WinQuake/GLQuake is the product of their own development, while none of the current OS X ports are.

id/Zenimax could attack the OS X and Linux Quake situation on Steam these days if they prioritized it, sure. I think it would be cool if they would. But it wouldn't be free/trivial. I guess I could enumerate all of the licensing, support, compatibility, etc. checkboxes I think they'd need to tick off, but eh. I'm too lazy. :-) (And it would just be speculation anyway.) Calling it pure laziness on id's part, on the other hand, is probably a little wide of the mark.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 30, 2015

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

NuclearPotato posted:

Chocolate Doom is far more faithful to the original Doom exe than Zandronum or GZDoom.

To the point of deliberately crashing and giving obtuse errors. No excuse for that. At the very least it should give sensical error messages and suggested remedies ('use a limit removing port' mostly).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Keiya posted:

To the point of deliberately crashing and giving obtuse errors. No excuse for that. At the very least it should give sensical error messages and suggested remedies ('use a limit removing port' mostly).

It's the year 2015 and you went out of your way to buy a game old enough to buy alcohol. You have an internet connection and can google a message you don't understand.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Chocolate Doom is not very good to be honest...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It is good at doing exactly what it is advertized to do.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Man a lot of people don't "get" Chocolate Doom

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I prefer chocolate doom. the bits are warmer

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A friend of mine is at some nerd convention for nerds, and he picked up an old game called Carnivores: Cityscape. It's a weird-looking multiplayer FPS (and not a hunting game like the rest of the Carnivores series) using the Serious Sam engine. Apparently it's gimmick was that you could play as the dinosaurs as well as the humans?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pTbe1WkuC8

It looks pretty bad (as all multiplayer dinosaur games tend to be :( ), and I'm looking forward to hearing back about it, but has anyone here had the pleasure(?) of playing it?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's the year 2015 and you went out of your way to buy a game old enough to buy alcohol. You have an internet connection and can google a message you don't understand.

Furthermore is anyone in this thread an actual paid production-code programmer

Building an OS emulator/virtualized environment for a 20+ year old game has both nontrivial technical challenges and limited returns, not to mention the hard sell of telling the engineer he'll be on the payroll for one project and that's about it

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I am playing through Black Mesa right now, and while it is fun and true to the original there is one detail I hate. They got rid of the radio chatter voices of the soldier enemies. Now they just talk in normal voices. I used to think the distorted radio chatter was so cool and intimidating in the original half-life.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I am playing through Black Mesa right now, and while it is fun and true to the original there is one detail I hate. They got rid of the radio chatter voices of the soldier enemies. Now they just talk in normal voices. I used to think the distorted radio chatter was so cool and intimidating in the original half-life.

SIR. I. HEAR. SOMETHING.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Linguica posted:

Man a lot of people don't "get" Chocolate Doom

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Geight posted:

SIR. I. HEAR. SOMETHING.

Your dead freemen

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Hae-Lin and Shihong eating doritos? Why not!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Just remembering the grunt radio chatter was a thing reminds me of this YTMND.

I'm not entirely sure why it's stuck with me for as long as it has.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Speaking of voices in Half-Life, I recently discovered that this file still existed on my web space http://www.doomworld.com/linguica/whiskey.wav

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

Just remembering the grunt radio chatter was a thing reminds me of this YTMND.

I'm not entirely sure why it's stuck with me for as long as it has.

Oh man, I loved that YTMND back in the day.

I was also a fan of this one, which has some HL1 Vox shenanigans. He sounds so enthusiastic about the mantrain.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Linguica posted:

Speaking of voices in Half-Life, I recently discovered that this file still existed on my web space http://www.doomworld.com/linguica/whiskey.wav

:lol:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The Goonstation server for Space Station 13 has all the HL1 Vox files. It used to be set up so that the Station AI (a DM-esque player character slot) had access to them, but sadly only admins have access to it now. rear end DAY WOOP WOOP

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Johnny Law posted:

IMO that's overly pedantic. WinQuake (and GLQuake for that matter) was released quite quickly, back when id was actively developing Quake. But by the time OS X came out, Quake 1 was deep in their back catalog. Also WinQuake/GLQuake is the product of their own development, while none of the current OS X ports are.

id/Zenimax could attack the OS X and Linux Quake situation on Steam these days if they prioritized it, sure. I think it would be cool if they would. But it wouldn't be free/trivial. I guess I could enumerate all of the licensing, support, compatibility, etc. checkboxes I think they'd need to tick off, but eh. I'm too lazy. :-) (And it would just be speculation anyway.) Calling it pure laziness on id's part, on the other hand, is probably a little wide of the mark.

It's mostly QA related and getting everything approved. I'm looking into doing the same with Quake as I would like to do with Doom. Offer QuakeSpasm as default, probably have other options for Win/Dos Quake. Quake is a bit messier than just using Chocolate/Crispy Doom due to the existence of QuakeWorld, though.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've installed Ballistic weapons fro UT2004 and it's pretty crazy but a couple of things bug me.

First, the custom crosshairs are enormous, is there any way to scale them.

Second, quite often (due to recoil or running or something) my aim will wander all over the place. Is this supposed to happen?

Edit

Yes, these are both thing you can change in the mod options.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 30, 2015

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

spongeh posted:

Quake is a bit messier than just using Chocolate/Crispy Doom due to the existence of QuakeWorld, though.

Hmm yeah. For something that ticks all the crossplatform boxes and also both Quake & QuakeWorld, have you looked at TyrQuake? I haven't played around with that much myself though.

e: Although I don't think that TyrQuake has soundtrack file support, which is one of the big benefits of sourceports for singleplayer.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 30, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

spongeh posted:

It's mostly QA related and getting everything approved. I'm looking into doing the same with Quake as I would like to do with Doom. Offer QuakeSpasm as default, probably have other options for Win/Dos Quake. Quake is a bit messier than just using Chocolate/Crispy Doom due to the existence of QuakeWorld, though.

It'd be cool if you guys added Steam trading cards to the Doom and Quake games. All that's needed are art assets. I want a :cacodemon: steam emoticon.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I hate to admit that I would be a sucker for those, but: I would be a sucker for those.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I have a weird question. I remember Doom95 had some rendering bug that caused "transparent" objects (specters, etc) to produce a weird refraction effect instead of the normal fuzz. Is there a mod that replicates that? I always found it kind of neat.

Also:

Segmentation Fault posted:

I want a :cacodemon: steam emoticon.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The default fuzz mode in GZdoom is probably closest, though GZdoom has a bunch of Spectre rendering options you can play with until you like it.