Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I was looking at that stuff on inside sim racing. I'll look around. That looks a lot easier than building the Obuto to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
May well be. It took me about four hours to get the Ozone + triple monitor stand up and running. Then another couple of hours doing cabling, speaker mounting, adjustments, deciding I wanted the fully articulating keyboard arm instead of the fairly useless one that comes with the Ozone....

Like I said... I'm 90% happy with it. To be fair, however... my cockpit looks a lot better than that cage made out of 80/20. But let's also be honest: these are video game cockpits in our living room. It really doesn't matter how "cool" they look. They are all not cool.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Thankfully I have a dedicated room for all my stupid poo poo.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Decided to finally try out iRacing and found a free first 3 months coupon if anyone is on the fence: PR-BLANCPAIN2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Essobie posted:

May well be. It took me about four hours to get the Ozone + triple monitor stand up and running. Then another couple of hours doing cabling, speaker mounting, adjustments, deciding I wanted the fully articulating keyboard arm instead of the fairly useless one that comes with the Ozone....

Like I said... I'm 90% happy with it. To be fair, however... my cockpit looks a lot better than that cage made out of 80/20. But let's also be honest: these are video game cockpits in our living room. It really doesn't matter how "cool" they look. They are all not cool.

It only took me 2 hours to get mine together though I do have to get a workmate of mine to take his angle grinder to the monitor mounts because as they are they cover over the power cord hole.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Kilonum posted:

Nah, I like the feeling of building poo poo myself, hell, I ordered the parts on Friday to make this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOfJfpZ5E5I

I don't even have something to mount it to (though I might just bluetack it to a piece of PVC that is in trn blutacked to my G27)

I also want to figure out a way to get it to work with ETS2 (on top of everything it already works with)

Finally got the parts (after a 7 week wait :toot:) yesterday and put it together today. Dealing with the software now.

EDIT: And of course the Arduino software keeps locking up.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 30, 2015

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I see that beamng.drive is out on steam, thinking of picking it up. Is there fun to be had or is it mostly just a tech demo right now?

Also, pretty sure I'm going to be building this cockpit in the next few weeks. I can't wait to stop racing on my desktop. Thoughts on this design?

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/eddys-pvc-rig-from-start-to-finish-inspired-by-simul8r-now-with-insturctions.138156/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Harminoff posted:

So I see that beamng.drive is out on steam, thinking of picking it up. Is there fun to be had or is it mostly just a tech demo right now?

Tech demo. The crashes are amazing, the driving sim is in the "looks like you touched the gas pedal, so now we're going to spin you backwards" category.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, the beam physics model is excellent but their tires are all greased hockey pucks. I'm pretty sure a lot of the devs came from Rigs of Rods which had the same problem.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Harminoff posted:

Cool to see they've finally hit a release-worthy milestone. Never was interested at the possibility of paying for it, but hopefully them hitting a release means we're getting closer to other games looking into the possibility of utilizing aspects of their physics model since it seems like it has pretty cool potential for any game where destructive physics can play a role.

I don't think BeamNG is trying to make anything that isn't always going to be basically a tech demo. They're probably just releasing it for QA purposes, money on the side, and press/attention so other companies take notice (apparently, googling a bit, the movie industry has been interested so they can prototype stunts better beforehand without destroying actual cars) and are interested in paying much larger sums to use their physics engine.

wolrah posted:

Yeah, the beam physics model is excellent but their tires are all greased hockey pucks.
Seems kind of weak to push a super detailed physics model that has really poor physics with respect to the friction on wheels.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I haven't even done a race yet and iRacing is so good drat. It is 'easier' than assetto (only driving the mx-5), but wow driving alongside people who care? With good netcode? :captainpop:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I haven't even done a race yet and iRacing is so good drat. It is 'easier' than assetto (only driving the mx-5), but wow driving alongside people who care? With good netcode? :captainpop:

It has unique things about it that no other game even comes close to imo, you're in for a great time :)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

bUm posted:

Cool to see they've finally hit a release-worthy milestone. Never was interested at the possibility of paying for it, but hopefully them hitting a release means we're getting closer to other games looking into the possibility of utilizing aspects of their physics model since it seems like it has pretty cool potential for any game where destructive physics can play a role.

I don't think BeamNG is trying to make anything that isn't always going to be basically a tech demo. They're probably just releasing it for QA purposes, money on the side, and press/attention so other companies take notice (apparently, googling a bit, the movie industry has been interested so they can prototype stunts better beforehand without destroying actual cars) and are interested in paying much larger sums to use their physics engine.

Seems kind of weak to push a super detailed physics model that has really poor physics with respect to the friction on wheels.

iirc they want to perfect the soft-body stuff before working on the tires.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I just fired it up for the first time in a while and they do seem to have improved it a fair bit. Here's my attempt at a few laps on the race track in a cop car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0V2zvUY200

I turned on a bunch of debug displays to show what the simulation's dealing with.

The car in game has a bit more torque than a real one would but I had some pretty cheap tires on mine and it still wasn't that slidey. I wasn't all that great at smooth inputs on the 360 pad, but I still think it was too willing to let go.

Much better than it was before though. It's actually sort of possible to drive fast.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Deforming physics... Viper racing did this really well back in the 90's... And that game was based on the grand prix legends engine I believe.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Took a break from career mode in Dirt Rally to try out the new Pikes Peak hill climb. Holy crap, the hill climb Quattro S1 is brutal. No wonder it's legendary - driving the thing is loving terrifying.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Now we just need the Isle of Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7gmbQ8KxM4

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I remember watching an Isle of Man motorcycle race on TV and wondering how their bikes even manage to get up to speed with the riders' massive brass balls dragging on the asphalt behind them.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

:aaaaa:

I'm not sure I even dare get out of my sofa after seeing that one. Sitting still for a while seems nice.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So once my exam is done tomorrow I can finally get back into simracing. I would like to get a decent offline racer to play around with. Only having iRacing gets a bit bothersome since it is only online racing and sometimes you just want to screw around and race AI. I got Assetto Corsa but that didn't really do it for me. Good game and all but it is more of a luxury car driving simulator.
Kinda sucks there are no simulators with oval content and nascar 2003 is impossible to get.

Does rFactor2 have good AI drivers? Otherwise I'm thinking of getting Stock Car Extreme. But again, I would really like some oval racing too.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Torabi posted:

So once my exam is done tomorrow I can finally get back into simracing. I would like to get a decent offline racer to play around with. Only having iRacing gets a bit bothersome since it is only online racing and sometimes you just want to screw around and race AI. I got Assetto Corsa but that didn't really do it for me. Good game and all but it is more of a luxury car driving simulator.
Kinda sucks there are no simulators with oval content and nascar 2003 is impossible to get.

Does rFactor2 have good AI drivers? Otherwise I'm thinking of getting Stock Car Extreme. But again, I would really like some oval racing too.

um

project cars despite all that

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Torabi posted:

I haven't tried GSCE, but to me rF2 has pretty solid AI. There is a pretty good amount of content released by ISI, and a nice chunk of third party mods, but the AI quality is better on ISI's content. I get my rear end handed to me regularly by rF2 AI on 100% with the harder cars - historics, GT cars, Indy etc. but I can usually hold my own with the carts and street cars.

Do you have RACE 07 or RRRE? They're cheap and decent games with plenty of content, but their AI isn't as good as rF2.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

ethanol posted:

um

project cars despite all that

After all the crap surrounding project cars I don't think I'll ever buy it. Unless it is very very cheap.

CaseFace McGee posted:

I haven't tried GSCE, but to me rF2 has pretty solid AI. There is a pretty good amount of content released by ISI, and a nice chunk of third party mods, but the AI quality is better on ISI's content. I get my rear end handed to me regularly by rF2 AI on 100% with the harder cars - historics, GT cars, Indy etc. but I can usually hold my own with the carts and street cars.

Do you have RACE 07 or RRRE? They're cheap and decent games with plenty of content, but their AI isn't as good as rF2.

I have Race 07, which is a great game. Shame that there is no oval racing content in those games. I'm not a huge oval racing fan but it is still pretty fun. I'm a closet redneck ok The only thing available seems to be that monstrosity called Nascar 15, which is made by the people who made Ride To Hell, so no way I'm going near that.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Torabi posted:

After all the crap surrounding project cars I don't think I'll ever buy it. Unless it is very very cheap.

poor decision

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Torabi posted:

I have Race 07, which is a great game. Shame that there is no oval racing content in those games. I'm not a huge oval racing fan but it is still pretty fun. I'm a closet redneck ok The only thing available seems to be that monstrosity called Nascar 15, which is made by the people who made Ride To Hell, so no way I'm going near that.

You are truly missing out if you skip project cars. It is fantasic, and will only get better.

For offline racing, get Game Stock Car. It has some of the best AI in a sim and is an absolute blast to drive.

Nascar 15 is a patched version of 14 and is poo poo. Don't bother.

14 was ok for stuffing about, but it didn't feel solid enough to warrant spending more then $5 on, it leans heavy on the arcade side of the fence and feels kind of budget.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Don't skip Project Cars.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Norns posted:

Don't skip Project Cars.

also: what was 'all the poo poo' around Project Cars anyway?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ethanol posted:

poor decision

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

julian assflange posted:

It was in development for years and the physics kept changing so a lot of sim nerds dismissed it as hot garbage before it even released. Although it actually ended up being a solid release, so it's kinda dumb to ignore it for that reason.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

julian assflange posted:

Project CARS is bugged up the rear end with various visual and gameplay issues ranging from minor (cars disappearing if they're not moving in the pit lane) to serious (AI cars not losing speed when they run off the track or seemingly dropping their collision detection to drive through you) and there hasn't been a single patch that I've seen yet even to hotfix some of the more minor stuff. I've seen people say that they promised to have indy car racing in the game alongside the Indianapolis Speedway on Indy 500 weekend as well which hasn't appeared though I'd like DLC to be a secondary concern over fixing bugs.

Having said all that though, I still don't regret buying it. I've played it a lot and provided they keep adding content like they've said they will I'm going to play it a hell of a lot more.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I'll buy GSCE before I buy PCars, that sounds much more promising. I'll get PCars when Torabi gets it - when it's dirt cheap in a year or so, after a few of its major issues are fixed. If I want to play a game with lovely AI and other lackluster features that were promised, then I'll pull out Assetto Corsa before PCars.

I spend most of my (limited in the summer) sim time in iRacing, followed by rF2. Dirt Rally is a hoot also, but it has some ground to cover before it gets too much time.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

CaseFace McGee posted:

I'll buy GSCE before I buy PCars, that sounds much more promising. I'll get PCars when Torabi gets it - when it's dirt cheap in a year or so, after a few of its major issues are fixed. If I want to play a game with lovely AI and other lackluster features that were promised, then I'll pull out Assetto Corsa before PCars.

I spend most of my (limited in the summer) sim time in iRacing, followed by rF2. Dirt Rally is a hoot also, but it has some ground to cover before it gets too much time.

see that's where you are wrong because pcars actually has flawed, but still the best ai in any racing game ever. comparing it to assetto corsa is a gross misstep

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
PCARS is simply magnificent in every single way. Yea, it needs patches, so does every other sim.

But hey whatever enjoy AC or any other sim. PCARS loving owns. I might as well delete AC and R3E off my hard drive.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I finally tried out pCars and it felt like slightly less arcadey shift without the car pokemon I wanted. :iiam:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sounds like PCars had a pretty unremarkable development then.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
P Cars is a good game, holy poo poo what is wrong with people

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
What's the best game out there with completely ridiculous aftermarket customization options right now? I'm digging AC and Dirt Rally but have a rice itch that needs scratching.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

P Cars is a good game, holy poo poo what is wrong with people

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Gonna drop p cars for gsce superkarts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

What's the best game out there with completely ridiculous aftermarket customization options right now? I'm digging AC and Dirt Rally but have a rice itch that needs scratching.

EA announced that they're rebooting the Need For Speed franchise and it sounds like it's going to take after the Underground series of games, so that sounds like the best bet for :rice: .

Also a reminder that different sims offer different things and that people play sims for different reasons. PCARS is good for what it offers, but it's not for me.

• Locked thread