Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Filthy Haiku posted:

Doubleedit: Is DRG comedy tier again? I remember some pretty significant buffs before I quit at the start of WoTG, but I've been told they're currently in the "shunned from group play" class by a friend

they're about the most useless/unspectacular DD around right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Any 2 hander DD that isn't SAM is on the low tier, so it's like nothing changed.

As for AF gear, I wouldn't stress out over it. You can get BLU to 99 with very little amount of spells and can get the actual AF pieces you need while you progress.

Just rush to your pink set at 78 and sparks gear at 99. Leveling goes by so fast now that your mindset should really just be get to 99 asap and worry about poo poo once that's done.

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
I just had to start playing this game again. Maybe I'll finish up the storylines this time. I'm on Asura as Cheesecakelover, would love a pearl.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Are world transfers still discounted, or did that go away with the free month? My dumb ole taru is still on Quetz from my last foray with this thread.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

World transfers are discounted until June 1st.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Apologies if this gets asked constantly, but are goons on Asura actually that active in endgame stuff? Trying to decide if transferring before the discount ends is worth it.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

I had forgotten what patching through POL was like... :gbsmith:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I just started this game but before I keep leveling, are all the quests going to stay this retarded?

EDIT: WRONG GAME

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Third World Reggin posted:

I just started this game but before I keep leveling, are all the quests going to stay this retarded?

edit: oh

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Can you get the first Rhaspody KI on a level 20-ish character? Those bonuses look really appealing but I'm just coming back after stopping playing in like, 2009 and had to make a new character.

e: also is DNC/NIN still a decent solo setup?

Metallia fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 29, 2015

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

mulodyne posted:

Can you get the first Rhaspody KI on a level 20-ish character? Those bonuses look really appealing but I'm just coming back after stopping playing in like, 2009 and had to make a new character.

The first KI is getting 3 drops from level ~10 mobs so you should be fine.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

mulodyne posted:

Probably not as pizze couldnt do it in the low 60s. You also need shadowlord (rank 5) to start the quests. Just push into that level range and ask in shell for someone to come out and knock both down for you.

By it i mean the siren fight in the jungle

frodnonnag fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 29, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Siren fight's for the third KI though. Looking at the rewards overall from the perspective of a new character:

- First KI is something you'd want right off the bat - it has a bunch of nice generalized benefits. Conveniently enough, you can get it around level 10 (and you'll probably be higher than that just killing poo poo as you walk there on a new character, especially if you got the clock, trust, and ring from the anniversary event).

- Second KI is something you'd want before hitting level 70 and doing the genkai to raise the level cap to 75, since its main benefit is letting you bring trusts to fight Maat (or whoever). You can meet the rank requirements around the mid-20s. Not sure what level the fight itself is tuned for, but I'm guessing it's soloable (with your now 4 trusts) somewhere in the 25-70 range.

- Third KI has benefits for a selection of endgame content that you don't really need to concern yourself with before hitting 99 (yes, some of it's 75 cap stuff, but just concentrate on leveling unless you're one of those people who wants to play at 75 cap for ~*my nostalgia*~), and it's pretty easy to solo at 99 with trusts and sparks gear. 60-ish is generally where people used to do the rank requirement for it.

The 30% experience bonus for the second and third KIs is certainly nice and all, but I see it more for the sake of the later leveling (and meriting) and leveling subs and alts, than as a real necessity for leveling your first job. Though if you can get help with the fights earlier than you'd be able to solo them, then by all means, get them earlier and enjoy the experience.

The game kinda shits experience at you as it is, just with the anniversary event rewards though.

Vil fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 29, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

As someone who just did it on a new character, yeah get the first one as soon as you can, it's super easy, teleports you to norg at some point wherein you can grab a teleport and not have to go through that whole bullshit, and it also keeps you from having to get the subjob items to do the quest (something I learned after collecting all the subjob items, rip).

The second one will take a bit longer but I did it around like level 60 I think? Levelling is so fast it's a blur, but that one requires you to get rank 6 (beat the shadowlord) which I could have soloed IF I had levelled a mage instead of WAR or had ANY magic damage trusts. Shadowlord is immune to magic half the time and physical the other half, and it's based on HP% so you can't wait it out. I didn't have any magic damage so a kind goon helped. There's a telepoint near the fight so getting help for it is pretty easy, or you can just take like what an hour? to level BLM to 60 or hunt down a magic damage trust or something.

The last one I definitely needed help with, I went to do that pretty much right away still at level 60 and had to /help on one pop fight I had to do and call in goon help on Siren, the second pop fight.

There's also this really stupid behemoth event going on that gives you a trust that boosts your XP earned* and a furnishing that also boosts your XP earned. I think ends soon so definitely get it done, but be warned that it's SUPER obnoxious. The first part you have like one minute to select the correct skill from a menu for some NPCs to continue a neverending skillchain and you get one point per level of the skillchain. If you don't gently caress up (lol) you get bonus points. You have to do it enough to accumulate 100 points and it's basically a test to see if you memorized the skillchain chart in 2006 it's really awful.

After bumbling through that you have to put on the behemoth suit +1 you get from playing the stupid game and go talk to a moogle outside the city that gives you a buff that lets you fight a behemoth with some NPCs. At various points you get a challenge, "do this skill chain!" or "do this many skill chains!" Pray for the latter because it's the only chance you'll get. Every time you do a challenge right you get one heroic level, your goal is to get 10. If you miss one you'll take damage, if you're damaged and near Behemoth when he uses lightning, he'll knock off the buff that lets you fight him. It's not really designed for people who are still levelling but I powered through it with a sword equipped, and just did Red Lotus Blade and whatever the two skills after that are over and over as they skillchain off each other. Behemoth needs to die when you have the buff up to be able to collect any rewards, and you need to reach heroic level 10 to get both rewards.

*I'm on the fence as to whether or not the Kupofried (XP) trust is worth it all the time. It's a nice XP bonus but I also seem to kill things noticeably slower than when I have another DPS trust out. Still, it's a nice option, and probably when my character is less lagging in weaponskills, magic, and equipment, the difference in kill time won't be as big.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

*I'm on the fence as to whether or not the Kupofried (XP) trust is worth it all the time. It's a nice XP bonus but I also seem to kill things noticeably slower than when I have another DPS trust out. Still, it's a nice option, and probably when my character is less lagging in weaponskills, magic, and equipment, the difference in kill time won't be as big.

If its bad enough to kill your speed by like 25%, then yeah, use another dd trust.
If you are like me and hitting an artificial wall like wses being a huge killshot or waiting on timers to kill, (90% of my damage is a 30 second recast), then its better to use kupofried

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

frodnonnag posted:

If its bad enough to kill your speed by like 25%, then yeah, use another dd trust.
If you are like me and hitting an artificial wall like wses being a huge killshot or waiting on timers to kill, (90% of my damage is a 30 second recast), then its better to use kupofried

Yeah that's what I figured. My trusts are doing like all my damage right now, so a second DD that also adds in a bunch of bonus damage from increased skillchain frequency is a huge hit.

But hey I got Atma of the Pollen and Atma of the Sandstorm last night, my BLU is on its way. Soon.

(I figured out quickly that it's a good thing I didn't level much past 30 yet, my evasion rate is too drat high and it takes too long for mobs to build TP, especially ones like loving worms where you can't just pull 3+ at once. Maybe I should look into if there is any -Evasion gear for lower levels. Thank you based Kupowers though, signet refresh is amazing and I basically spammed pollen between pulls while raiding in XIV while the worm I learned Sandstorm from took like a loving hour to use it, and now my BLU skill is like 70 and at this rate I won't need to blow sparks on skillbooks at all.)

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah that's what I figured. My trusts are doing like all my damage right now, so a second DD that also adds in a bunch of bonus damage from increased skillchain frequency is a huge hit.

But hey I got Atma of the Pollen and Atma of the Sandstorm last night, my BLU is on its way. Soon.

(I figured out quickly that it's a good thing I didn't level much past 30 yet, my evasion rate is too drat high and it takes too long for mobs to build TP, especially ones like loving worms where you can't just pull 3+ at once. Maybe I should look into if there is any -Evasion gear for lower levels. Thank you based Kupowers though, signet refresh is amazing and I basically spammed pollen between pulls while raiding in XIV while the worm I learned Sandstorm from took like a loving hour to use it, and now my BLU skill is like 70 and at this rate I won't need to blow sparks on skillbooks at all.)

You will probably need to piss sparks for books at some point especially if you plan on doing real endgame spergiest content. Thankfully you can hit me up for freebie books, or pointers on how to mass farm sparks fast.

ALSO! If anyone wants delve clears or vagary clears, or any content clears at all, dont be afraid to ask me. I take immense masochistic pleasure in dragging incompetence thru to an unwilling win.

frodnonnag fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 29, 2015

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Thanks for the advice ya'll!! I'm gonna get the first Rhaspodies KI and then I'll tp back to Windurst and slam my head against that Behemoth event

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Yeah I'm not too worried yet, I tend to spark cap if I'm not careful, though I just cashed out everything for gil so I'll need to build them back up again. If I somehow don't cap again by the time I get blu high enough to need high end sparks equipment (and I'm making frequent stops to learn all the spells, so that's going to take some time) I'll be surprised.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

amusinginquiry posted:

Apologies if this gets asked constantly, but are goons on Asura actually that active in endgame stuff? Trying to decide if transferring before the discount ends is worth it.

We do endgame stuff, but we are not an event shell, we are a socially retarded shell. Asura is worth the transfer because it has a higher population than most servers. You can get away with waiting for someone to start a shout pubbie group or you can join an event shell or start your own shouts. All three of those options are doable on any server, but having Asura's population helps get things done faster.

frodnonnag posted:

You will probably need to piss sparks for books at some point especially if you plan on doing real endgame spergiest content. Thankfully you can hit me up for freebie books, or pointers on how to mass farm sparks fast.

ALSO! If anyone wants delve clears or vagary clears, or any content clears at all, dont be afraid to ask me. I take immense masochistic pleasure in dragging incompetence thru to an unwilling win.

I would like a Marjami delve win.

Gruknor fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 29, 2015

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Gruknor posted:

I would like a Marjami delve win.

Hit me up in an hour when i am on. Consistent good setup for that is pld, smn, geo, whm, rng x2.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
Have they ever updated the controls to make mouse and keyboard viable? Or should I stick with my (virtual) 360 controller. Or do all the pros use keyboard only still. Whats the best way to control and are there any up to date guides on setting up controller button.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

frodnonnag posted:

I've already talked with you about this but I'm interested in getting Vagary clears as well delve clears. I just want to try and, hopefully clear, content without constantly relying on random players as it's more enjoyable to do stuff with people I know.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Kusamotu needs all delve clears still as well as some vagary runs and high tier battlefields for pages.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Right as the double XP/CP campaign ends on the first of June, it'll start back up June 2nd. Let the good times roll.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Eight-Six posted:

Right as the double XP/CP campaign ends on the first of June, it'll start back up June 2nd. Let the good times roll.

Huh, so we're getting a day off to remember that the XP is doubled, then back on the saddle? Interesting. Wonder if they'll just make it permanent soon, or if they are going to rotate bonuses in and out every month for a while, and after this month's all bonuses extravaganza, double xp and the others there were up first.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

I'll be logged in for a bit, I'm on Elorine. Tryna figure out if I want to gear my THF or BLM right now. I have a surprisingly geared 62 BLU if any of the new guys want to team up as well.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

frodnonnag posted:

Hit me up in an hour when i am on. Consistent good setup for that is pld, smn, geo, whm, rng x2.

I have stuff I have to do until 10pm est. I have a geo that has a not so good nuke set, but I have a dunna and all the af/relic/empy armors.

nene. posted:

Have they ever updated the controls to make mouse and keyboard viable? Or should I stick with my (virtual) 360 controller. Or do all the pros use keyboard only still. Whats the best way to control and are there any up to date guides on setting up controller button.

I use keyboard and mouse.

Gruknor fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 29, 2015

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Some wide screenshots per request:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My eyes hurt looking at those, but it's still pretty nifty.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
Well ok im in. And my name is Cubeeightynine and im s cared

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I played a few days during the freebie week and I just went and resubbed. Hopefully I can earn enough points to get some good stuff from now till Thursday and I didn't blow my cash. I did get Zeid who is cool. I wonder if I want Star Sybil, the Jeuno Zilart lady with the unpronounceable name or if I should get that expertise ring. I know someone said something about a good limited time ring or item for xp that I should get.

I already know about the Rhapsodies KIs, I think there was something else in addition to that?

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Gammatron 64 posted:

I played a few days during the freebie week and I just went and resubbed. Hopefully I can earn enough points to get some good stuff from now till Thursday and I didn't blow my cash. I did get Zeid who is cool. I wonder if I want Star Sybil, the Jeuno Zilart lady with the unpronounceable name or if I should get that expertise ring. I know someone said something about a good limited time ring or item for xp that I should get.

I already know about the Rhapsodies KIs, I think there was something else in addition to that?

Do not get an expertise ring, it is not worth it. Leveling is so quick. Trusts are worth getting, I have not used star sibyl or the Jueno Zilart Lady enough to tell you if they are any good. However, SE is making it easier to get trusts that you can only get via login points. It changes monthly. That said, there is no guarantee you will ever see them again.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Adventurer's appreciation campaign, the thing with the moogles and the behemoths. Get the ring, the trust, and the furnishing.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Gruknor posted:

Do not get an expertise ring, it is not worth it. Leveling is so quick. Trusts are worth getting, I have not used star sibyl or the Jueno Zilart Lady enough to tell you if they are any good. However, SE is making it easier to get trusts that you can only get via login points. It changes monthly. That said, there is no guarantee you will ever see them again.

Cool beans. I always like getting more party members. I'm just glad I have Lion and Zeid given they're exclusives and pretty important characters to boot. I'm missing Aldo, but that's okay because well, he was kinda lame and never really did anything. I think he was supposed to be like, FFXI's Edgar or Locke but kinda failed to be cool.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Gammatron 64 posted:

Cool beans. I always like getting more party members. I'm just glad I have Lion and Zeid given they're exclusives and pretty important characters to boot. I'm missing Aldo, but that's okay because well, he was kinda lame and never really did anything. I think he was supposed to be like, FFXI's Edgar or Locke but kinda failed to be cool.

I think you can get Aldo out of the red chest by the anniversary moogles. The one in Bastok is by the fountain in Markets; talk the moogle for your rings, then hit the chest for costume poo poo and trusts.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Jedi425 posted:

I think you can get Aldo out of the red chest by the anniversary moogles. The one in Bastok is by the fountain in Markets; talk the moogle for your rings, then hit the chest for costume poo poo and trusts.

There's actually 3 moogles by that fountain. One on the southeast side who tells you about your adventuring life, and gives you the SWEEEEET exp rings. One on southwest side who starts the behemoth event thingy and gives you behemoth suit. Besides this dude is the chest with some free level 1 gear that's generally for looks, and at the bottom of the list some sweet Trusts. And a CoolMoogleTM just north of that, who will curse at you if you're not wearing the behomth suit, and turn you into a CoolMoogleTM. If you wear the suit he starts the event. Good luck with that.

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF
I'm playing this game for the first time and after reading all of the ways that it used to be harder and more impenetrable I sort of can't believe so many people loved it back then. I mean I'm loving it now but without things like warp crystals and records of eminence I think I would've lost patience long ago. I'm mostly soloing though and that might make a difference.

Anyway I haven't asked anyone for a pearl yet and I just discovered that I can't take trusts with me to do the eco-warrior quest in Windurst. Would anyone in the general Windurst/Sarutabaruta areas be willing to give me a pearl so I can party up and clear those vermin? Character name on Asura is Haswares.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

It really was very fun to just get lost in if you were a dumb teen though, and didnt have any real goals in mind. I basically used it as a chat room with a pretty cool valkrum dunes simulator in the background, to be honest. These days it's mostly a relaxation thing that I just do while listening to podcasts. (though all the exp bonuses letting me see story I never got to is dope)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You really felt like an adventurer back in the old days. Did it suck that on chocobo-back it could still take 45 minutes to get from A to B? Yes. Did it feel like you were actually exploring poo poo though? Absolutely.

But yeah I'm 26 now and I really don't have time to explore.:smith: