Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Having my city saves break because traffic++ decided to update is getting kind of old. I really wish we had the option of turning off auto updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Poizen Jam posted:

Having my city saves break because traffic++ decided to update is getting kind of old. I really wish we had the option of turning off auto updates.

I don't know if this will work for Skylines, but here is what I would try. Download the latest version of traffic++ and look at the URL for the workshop. There should be a pretty long series of numbers, which is the mod id. If you copy those numbers and do a windows search for them, or find a corresponding folder ID under your appdata/roaming folder (I think) you should find the folder which traffic++ installed to. At that point you can copy the folder, unsubscribe from it in the workshop, and you should be able to move the folder back and still have the mod work in game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or disable updates for the game itself once everything works the way you like it, as that disables mod updates as well.

Yeah it's a stupid hack but it takes 10 seconds and if you keep an eye on the thread for update notes so you know whether it's worth updating it shouldn't be too much of a headache.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
For anyone interested, this is my issue:

I was actually able to recover a city from this state before by messing around with mods, but I wouldn't be able to tell you what I did so I cannot attempt the same fix again. What I do know is I'm getting the same error as last time:

code:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object [System.NullReferenceException]

Details:
No details
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at GuideManager.SimulationStepImpl (Int32 subStep) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SimulationManagerBase`2[Manager,Properties].SimulationStep (Int32 subStep) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at GuideManager.ISimulationManager.SimulationStep (Int32 subStep) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SimulationManager.SimulationStep () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SimulationManager.SimulationThread () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Which implicates Traffic++ as the cause, according to Google. I've tried running it in Ghost Mode, disabling all other mods except Traffic Manager/Traffic++, among a few other solutions. Nothing. Last time I swear it was an asset, rather than a mod, that caused the issue... But I tried unsubscribing from all mods that I subscribed too since the error appeared, and still no luck.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mods are loving weird and awful. My game has been running perfectly even with a ton of mods and assets, I downloaded a single pretty map and now I can't quit to menu, the game will crash if I try. I deleted that map, then I went nuts pruning my mods, assets, and maps, everything, and the game still won't quit to menu anymore and sometimes hangs/crashes when I quit. Mods are something special.

It's rare that I play a city for more than a few days to a week tops. A mod will update/break, a patch will come out, or I'll have some horrible traffic problem or new idea I want to try out. I think for the next few months to a year it's going to be like this as modders and CO better figure their poo poo out.

\/ If you're not playing with unlimited money there's basically just two tricky spots. Making sure your initial funds get you a village that can turn a profit, and then finally when you grow huge and start realizing the massive hard/impossible to fix flaws in your design.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 29, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In fairness it's a little difficult to play any city for more than a few hours because it becomes fairly trivial after the first couple.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I honestly have not touched the game since I 100%'d the cheevos. I hope the expansion adds some more game-y elements.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I thought I was past the whole 'Losing 40 hours of invested time due to game glitches' thing when I left SimCity 4 behind. If that's still inevitable I think I'm pretty much done with this game.

There's not enough there for the unmodded game to grab my attention, and with the way the workshop works it seems broken saves are inevitable.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Poizen Jam posted:

I thought I was past the whole 'Losing 40 hours of invested time due to game glitches' thing when I left SimCity 4 behind. If that's still inevitable I think I'm pretty much done with this game.

There's not enough there for the unmodded game to grab my attention, and with the way the workshop works it seems broken saves are inevitable.

I use three mods, one of which is the autosave one. I don't know why they haven't patched it in yet.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
If 3 mods is enough to keep your attention, godspeed. After coming from SimCity 4 with a multi-gig mod directory to Cities Skylines, where I had about 500 mods and assets all working together at once, going back to the unmodded experience is a non-option for me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just assume every major update will break your save, so turn it off and only update when you're ready to start fresh.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 29, 2015

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
How do you make sunken highways?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sam. posted:

How do you make sunken highways?

Terraform tool

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Also using 'fine road heights' and pressing page down 1 or 2 times. 3 makes it a tunnel, but 1 and 2 make nice impressions in the ground.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

In fairness it's a little difficult to play any city for more than a few hours because it becomes fairly trivial after the first couple.

If you're playing for a mechanical goal-oriented challenge, maybe, although I'd argue it's actually pretty piss-easy from the very beginning. On the other hand, if you just want to build a big, cool-looking city in a sandbox, you can keep at it for quite a while. And traffic continues to be a factor all along - really the only part of the game that's ever notably difficult.

Honestly, I would be disappointed in Skylines if I only wanted a hardcore citybuilder with a lot of complex systems (instead of one complex system - traffic). It's not that, at least not yet. It is a rad model city kit, though, which is enough to keep me entertained for now.

The devs have made vague but fairly strong noises about adding more mechanical depth to the non-traffic parts of the game in upcoming expansions. Presumably it will evolve into a more full-fledged game with time.

Poizen Jam posted:

I don't think you'll ever escape the technical failure goblins as long as you're playing games with tons of mods. Mods by nature will never get the kind of polish, compatibility work, and thorough testing that a core game does. (And honestly there are plenty of games in the world that are technical messes without mods.)

That being said, I haven't had any fatal problems with Skylines yet myself, and it seems like there's reason to expect more reliability and stability out of the core game and major mods in the future. For one thing, CO has stated they plan to do more to support modders around game updates, e.g. by giving them early access to new builds so they can update and test before patches are released. Hopefully that will help.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 30, 2015

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Paradadox has been a good publisher on that front for a long time now and CO seem like they care as well. I've got good hopes.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

How do you control building levels for Skylines? Is there an external tool you need to use?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Can't in vanilla (except the Highrise Ban policy which disables the highest level for all zoning types). There is a mod for that though

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know it's nothing to write home about buy boy do farming areas look better (and have far more reasonable traffic) when you sprawl them out and make fake fields with rows of trees and dirt roads.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Domattee posted:

Can't in vanilla (except the Highrise Ban policy which disables the highest level for all zoning types). There is a mod for that though

I meant in the asset editor. Most of the old European type low residential assets from the workshop only come in at level 1, so I'm modifying them by adding bells and whistles for levels 1-5 to make it possible to have entirely European, ye olde timye cities.

e: Never mind, I believe that it's possible with nlight's mod tools. gently caress.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 30, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Supraluminal posted:

If you're playing for a mechanical goal-oriented challenge, maybe, although I'd argue it's actually pretty piss-easy from the very beginning. On the other hand, if you just want to build a big, cool-looking city in a sandbox, you can keep at it for quite a while. And traffic continues to be a factor all along - really the only part of the game that's ever notably difficult.

Honestly, I would be disappointed in Skylines if I only wanted a hardcore citybuilder with a lot of complex systems (instead of one complex system - traffic). It's not that, at least not yet. It is a rad model city kit, though, which is enough to keep me entertained for now.

The devs have made vague but fairly strong noises about adding more mechanical depth to the non-traffic parts of the game in upcoming expansions. Presumably it will evolve into a more full-fledged game with time.

I don't think you'll ever escape the technical failure goblins as long as you're playing games with tons of mods. Mods by nature will never get the kind of polish, compatibility work, and thorough testing that a core game does. (And honestly there are plenty of games in the world that are technical messes without mods.)

That being said, I haven't had any fatal problems with Skylines yet myself, and it seems like there's reason to expect more reliability and stability out of the core game and major mods in the future. For one thing, CO has stated they plan to do more to support modders around game updates, e.g. by giving them early access to new builds so they can update and test before patches are released. Hopefully that will help.

I find even traffic becomes simply a matter of building more of a repeating system to manage it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

I find even traffic becomes simply a matter of building more of a repeating system to manage it.
The lasting appeal is varying attempts at imitating life because if you don't value your soul and look too far into the traffic abyss with utilitarian intent, you find out you can get away with very depressing 2 lane road grids connected to highways at certain distances.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

zedprime posted:

The lasting appeal is varying attempts at imitating life because if you don't value your soul and look too far into the traffic abyss with utilitarian intent, you find out you can get away with very depressing 2 lane road grids connected to highways at certain distances.

Yeah, you can do stuff to manage traffic in a pretty mechanistic way, but that's up to you. Depending on the map you choose, the style of city you design, how painstakingly you plan things out in advance, and how you handle eminent domain/redevelopment, you can keep things interesting as you grow.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I hate spending more time trying to make the game work with a lot of mods instead of playing the game, so I just use as few as possible. I want to get the developer's patches too.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Is the mod/workshop pages of the content manager just broken for anyone else? They never populate with anything which means I can't turn things on/off.

edit: Note I went and disabled on the steam workshop the mods that changed those screens around already.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Shanakin posted:

Is the mod/workshop pages of the content manager just broken for anyone else? They never populate with anything which means I can't turn things on/off.

edit: Note I went and disabled on the steam workshop the mods that changed those screens around already.

Just a hunch, but try setting your configurations to default or wiping your config files (should be in Users/AppData/Local/Colossal Order/...). Also you might as well check behind the Workshop and make sure the mod was actually removed in its entirety, and try local file verification if that doesn't stick.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 30, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Poizen Jam posted:

Didn't they add a switch for that in the latest update?
Let's see...
Yeah, --noWorkshop will disable steam workshop.

Also you can either have super impressive mods that change a shitton of things or you can have a stable game. It's just the nature of programming. The more power you give people to add functionality to your software the more power you give people to remove functionality from your software.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 30, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My little euro town continues, love this river valley map.

Still got a lot of space to fill!

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Kyte posted:

Didn't they add a switch for that in the latest update?
Let's see...
Yeah, --noWorkshop will disable steam workshop.

Also you can either have super impressive mods that change a shitton of things or you can have a stable game. It's just the nature of programming. The more power you give people to add functionality to your software the more power you give people to remove functionality from your software.

That's all well and good but unfortunately some mods cannot be removed without breaking a save game

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wow, people weren't kidding when they said that the asset editor is absolutely loving poo poo. The only way to change a building's level is to change its template. The only way to change its template is to import the building as a specific file type again, which means that if you don't have that handy you need to rip the building using a separate set of tools and retexture it.

I also can't figure out how to update my map. I have the option to update the version I subscribed to, but I can't overwrite that version of the map because it's from the workshop, and can't save over it in the map editor, naturally.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Wow, people weren't kidding when they said that the asset editor is absolutely loving poo poo. The only way to change a building's level is to change its template. The only way to change its template is to import the building as a specific file type again, which means that if you don't have that handy you need to rip the building using a separate set of tools and retexture it.

I also can't figure out how to update my map. I have the option to update the version I subscribed to, but I can't overwrite that version of the map because it's from the workshop, and can't save over it in the map editor, naturally.

To update your map you need a local and the self subscribed version. You basically perform a switcheroo when you update by clicking on the preview picture during submission.

You will see a folder in the preview image folder marked 'content' and the crp file in there you swap out with your locally updated one. It's a mess of an implementation, but you can do it.

What they need to do is attach the local and the subscribed versions with an ID number so your local copy can update the workshop version. Prison architect does this. It works great.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fishbus posted:

To update your map you need a local and the self subscribed version. You basically perform a switcheroo when you update by clicking on the preview picture during submission.

You will see a folder in the preview image folder marked 'content' and the crp file in there you swap out with your locally updated one. It's a mess of an implementation, but you can do it.

What they need to do is attach the local and the subscribed versions with an ID number so your local copy can update the workshop version. Prison architect does this. It works great.

Wow, that's not really the process described on the wiki. Thanks, though, now all I have to figure out is why updating the map wipes your description whenever you update it. That seems like a very, very strange decision.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
When you update it lets you change the title and description and fills both those fields with the map file's name. Delete the name from the description field (leave it blank) and it won't overwrite what you wrote before.

How do you pull models out of the game? I want to mirror some of the european corner buildings.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Wow, that's not really the process described on the wiki. Thanks, though, now all I have to figure out is why updating the map wipes your description whenever you update it. That seems like a very, very strange decision.

Leaving a text box empty will stop it from overriding that description.

These are the things I've learned. Things that I shouldn't have had to learn.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
My river passing by the city decided to increase its capacity and flooded half of my city. Any mod that allow the creation of walls to contain the water?

fake edit: typo

RattiRatto fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 30, 2015

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I finally finished half of it!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=451564523

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

RattiRatto posted:

My river decided passing by the city decided to increase its capacity and flooded half of my city. Any mod that allow the creation of walls to contain the water?

Nope, best option is to line the river with water pumps.

Or pray to the correct god.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fishbus posted:

Nope, best option is to line the river with water pumps.

Or pray to the correct god.

Drawing roads along the bank can build up enough to give some flood defense.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I fixed my save game once more- and again I'm unsure of what *specific* mod caused my game to break, but I know it was an asset rather than a mod, and I know it wasn't a vehicle asset. I resubscribed to an old collection of mine I made last time this issue happened. So be forewarned, the removal of certain assets, not just mods, can break your save games. If I figure out which one I'll let you all know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Poizen Jam posted:

That's all well and good but unfortunately some mods cannot be removed without breaking a save game

I'd assume disabling Steam Workshop would disable autoupdates. Disabling mods is done with the --disableMods switch, anyways.