Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I need to replace my clothes I took from a dumpster. When is the magical time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Point of advice if you see a satellite signal on the map, try tapping that instead of you team member. They jump you to that spot and about 90% of the time its safer. I'm like the only one on my team that seems to use them. (PS I'm the one putting them out.)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
oh my god the .52 gallon deco is completely bedazzled

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jarogue posted:

Point of advice if you see a satellite signal on the map, try tapping that instead of you team member. They jump you to that spot and about 90% of the time its safer. I'm like the only one on my team that seems to use them. (PS I'm the one putting them out.)

Highly recommend ninja super jump, you can jump to anyone without fear. If they die on the way it's actually good you get a free backstab.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

I tried to go mess with the Squiffer in a game after reading your post... and while I feel like I used it more effectively, I still felt kind of worthless with it. I feel like I can do way more with the regular charger than it, even if the regular one doesn't let me cover as much ground easily. It's so much easier to cover ground with several others and this one has pretty short range so, meh.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
what is a super ninja jump

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Still sticking with the Jr., obviously the shield is incredible but the surface area of paint it generates seems way above what other weapons can dish out.

If anyone wants to squid with me, add Everdraed to your nintendo friend zone.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

what is a super ninja jump

One of the clothes abilities, it's the little outline of a squid jumping. It makes it so you don't have that "SOMEONES ABOUT TO LAND HERE" thingy for your super jumps.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Everdraed posted:

Still sticking with the Jr., obviously the shield is incredible but the surface area of paint it generates seems way above what other weapons can dish out.

If anyone wants to squid with me, add Everdraed to your nintendo friend zone.

Sent as "Zagreus".

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This is one of the best "shooters" I've ever played and if Splatoon isn't a Mario/Zelda/etc in terms of continuing forever on Nintendo consoles then I'm going to be so let down. It's such a charming fun game. The content is limited for launch but what is there scratches an inch I never knew I had and as long as the dlc is coming relatively soon I'm 150% down. Buy this game.

I'm going to go back and add a bunch of you tomorrow. I'm weekdaynachos if anyone wants to send me a request first. The lack of voice chat actually makes me want to group up more than most games because I'm an anxious goober.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lemming posted:

One of the clothes abilities, it's the little outline of a squid jumping. It makes it so you don't have that "SOMEONES ABOUT TO LAND HERE" thingy for your super jumps.

I have no idea how to get abilities lmao

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Thing to note the ink wall sub can stop a kraken from moving forward in narrow hall ways. To bad the ink wall runs out faster then the kraken, they never seem to see that coming.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
bombs thrown just as soon as the match ends count towards your total, nice

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Anyone have a screen of that initial screen that pops up while Splatoon is still loading in? The one that's a shot of some squid's room. I like that screen and want it as a desktop background.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Level Slide posted:

Anyone have a screen of that initial screen that pops up while Splatoon is still loading in? The one that's a shot of some squid's room. I like that screen and want it as a desktop background.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Here's the splash screen in the full version.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

SO WE MEET IN BATTLE, EVERDRAED

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Excellent. Thank you.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, that final boss is such a slog. Yes, Nintendo, I have played a video game before, I know how to play giant disco ball/fist/etc tennis.

I could have sworn I got the page for that level, but I guess I died or something and didn't re-grab it, so I have to do it again. :suicide:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

EVERDRAED!!!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, so, story mode stuff, there's at least one weapon type that only shows up from story mode progress; while the first two weapons you get are variations of normal weapons with different looks and subs/specials, the Aerospray weapons only show up after beating the right boss. First is unlocked by the boss scroll itself, second requires that plus a high enough level. So even if you primarily want to play multiplayer the story mode stuff is worth doing at least for that. I was wondering where those were; none of the normal silhouettes were right.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

DoctorWhat posted:

EVERDRAED!!!
Haha some good games! I've gotten very used to the Jr. at this point, those japanese 10 year olds never knew what hit 'em.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Echophonic posted:

Man, that final boss is such a slog. Yes, Nintendo, I have played a video game before, I know how to play giant disco ball/fist/etc tennis.

I could have sworn I got the page for that level, but I guess I died or something and didn't re-grab it, so I have to do it again. :suicide:
Yeah I feel like they came up against deadlines or something. He gets like one new attack and then it's same thing for like ten phases :suicide:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
They change it up by throwing more attacks at once and making the terrain smaller. I thought it was great.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I am not great at this, but I really like playing this. I haven't played an online shooter in just about forever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rorus Raz posted:

Yeah I feel like they came up against deadlines or something. He gets like one new attack and then it's same thing for like ten phases :suicide:

In the Iwata Asks interview, the director ballparks the build from last year's E3 as 10% complete - everything they'd made up until then was in that one build, pretty much, and they made the rest of the game in about 10 months.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I am really a fan of that moment at the end of a close-ish match where you're trying to identify what your final percentage will be but you can't because that is a crazy complex map of splatters to figure out. Every little bit in enemy territory can make a difference, as well as every bit of coverage in yours, and there might be a ten or fifteen percent spread, but you couldn't tell by looking at it.

That's a lot to do in three minutes.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Has Japan had access to this for a while? There are level 20's here :stare:

e; and the matchmaking seems to love chucking all the high-level guys on the same team

Murodese fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 30, 2015

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Think they had a few days head start, yeah.

I like the online, kinda surprising since I'm on a rock in the Pacific (maybe that explains why there are more japanese people?) though there is definitely some crazy skill gaps going on. Can understand why some people are down on it for not having a bazillion maps and modes and Octo Zombies, so it kind of feels like it'd need a pretty big expansion to have long term lasting appeal. I would be down for turning off my brain, grabbing a roller and mowing down hordes of undead octolings.

Silentman0 posted:

I just had the most amazing game. I'm level 7, and after a weird server hiccup I started getting matched with some high-level Japanese folks, including one guy who was rocking 19. I know that level isn't entirely a measure of skill, but it mattered. We went to Arowana while I wanted to test out the Aerospray in a live match, and I started getting demolished when I usually top score with the Splattershot Jr. Like, really bad times all around, the enemy team didn't let us leave the first lip out of our base. Right when it reached the last minute, I decided to just screw it and run down a side hall and sneak into their base. Since none of them were getting killed, I got free reign to just run around as quickly as I could and splatter all the floor while my teammates jumped on me. As the results screen came up, I thought there was no way we could have pulled that out.

Judd disagreed, and we won it by 2%. I was the highest scored on our team with a 1/5 KD. I usually don't take pleasure in other people's suffering, but I laughed out loud and wondered how unbelievably angry the other team must have been.

Yeah, if you get distracted by spawn camping the other team and you fail to notice the one squid sneaking the way to your base it can be a doozy of a loss, there's nothing for you to ink anymore and nobody to kill while the other team gets to claim your turf for free. It makes the game more than just a matter of just 'get kills' which is pretty refreshing.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 30, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
This game solved the "walking around the map aimlessly hoping that an enemy will show up soon so you can do something" problem in most shooters so thoroughly via having you always interacting with the environment by wanting to ink everything(and ink playing into movement to keep that fun). playing anything else afterwards is gonna feel weird

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I'm excited for the objective-based game modes they highlighted earlier because I can feel myself having my fill of shooting the floor.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Reiley posted:

I'm excited for the objective-based game modes they highlighted earlier because I can feel myself having my fill of shooting the floor.

I think there is an alternate mode (A control point type of thing I think?) that is to be unlocked when a certain number of players reach level 10 (Which they estimate is in a few days, so definitely soon).

I really like the base game here, but I really hope they don't gently caress up the drip feed of content. This has the potential to be a hilarious disaster. I saw it happen with Destiny. I don't want the same thing happen here.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Tired of splatting the floor? Time to splat the core!

Splatstar Squid
Splatdius
R-Splat
U.N. Splatdron
Mushihimesplatta

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I just hope they never add a straight TDM.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Unlucky7 posted:

I think there is an alternate mode (A control point type of thing I think?) that is to be unlocked when a certain number of players reach level 10 (Which they estimate is in a few days, so definitely soon).

I really like the base game here, but I really hope they don't gently caress up the drip feed of content. This has the potential to be a hilarious disaster. I saw it happen with Destiny. I don't want the same thing happen here.

Splat Zones is the mode that'll be unlocked alongside ranked battle. There's also a payload-style mode called Tower Control that'll be out with the first major content update, and another mode called Rainmaker that they haven't detailed just yet.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Nintendo is updating via twitter the progress on unlocking Splat Zones, and it's already like 50% there

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 30, 2015

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Kelp Charger is the loadout of champions, I love the sprinkler so much and the basic charger is incredible once you get used to using it. I play very defensively in this game and the charger suits that so very well.

This game is inkredible, GOTY 2015.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I hope the ink puns take off and it becomes a thing like Captain N-icus

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
So apparently the ink strike can take effect after a match ends. That's a terrible way to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Murodese posted:

Has Japan had access to this for a while? There are level 20's here :stare:

e; and the matchmaking seems to love chucking all the high-level guys on the same team

Nope they only had it one day ahead of us.

• Locked thread