Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Aranan posted:

But guys, you get free Healthcare while you're in!!

Not that you're allowed to use it, but I hear it's great...

US taxpayers covered my $100,000+ medical bills last year, and that was for a small bowel obstruction. I can't even imagine the healthcare costs for amputees and worse cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

iKon posted:

My favorite middle of the night call was for my armorer, who cheated on his wife and ended up run the gently caress over by said wife. She ran his rear end down in the grocery store parking lot, broke both his legs, then hopped out and started crying about what she did. Last I saw they're still married.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

E7 takes his wife to Berlin for their anniversary, gets hammered, beats her, tries to drown her in the toilet of the 5-star hotel, leaves her for dead, drives home 3 hours, hits 3 separate cars in the last half hour, ditches his ride after the last hit, has a police chopper look for him, dead-reckons the last 10 miles home on foot, opts to go straight to a club and brag about his great day to his buddies, buddies try to talk sense into him, dude gets picked up by courtesy patrol.

Marriage still intact 4 years later.

USAREUR!

:patriot:

ah, young love

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

psydude posted:

My buddy just PCS'd to Hood and was notified that he has an upcoming 30 day FTX, followed by an NTC rotation, followed by another 30 day FTX, followed by another NTC rotation, followed by two weeks of block leave, and then a 9 month deployment to Korea.

And the Army wonders why retention is suddenly becoming an issue.

1) why are they sending units to korea for 9 months? is that the new thing since 2/9 is apparently getting the ax?

2) lol "deployment" to korea.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cole posted:

Still more of a deployment than a deployment to Kuwait.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
i think korea is more dangerous to the psych than a deployment to afghan or iraq, so yeah i guess i take back what i said

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
if you make it out of korea the same rank as you went in you were either lucky or lame

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Cole posted:

1) why are they sending units to korea for 9 months? is that the new thing since 2/9 is apparently getting the ax?

This is the new "let's pretend we're not in garrison" thing. CONUS units rotating to Korea and Europe.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Whipped Buttcheeks posted:

This is the new "let's pretend we're not in garrison" thing. CONUS units rotating to Korea and Europe.

all i'm reading here is "let's find stupid ways to spend money"

benem
Feb 15, 2012
PCSing 4000 people from casey/hovey all at once has turned out to be a total clusterfuck, surprising no one

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

psydude posted:

My buddy just PCS'd to Hood and was notified that he has an upcoming 30 day FTX, followed by an NTC rotation, followed by another 30 day FTX, followed by another NTC rotation, followed by two weeks of block leave, and then a 9 month deployment to Korea.

And the Army wonders why retention is suddenly becoming an issue.

Is this 1st Cav?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kiryen posted:

Is this 1st Cav?

Yes.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Evidently they have not changed a bit since they were doing Bosnia rotations.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Vasudus posted:

if you make it out of korea the same rank as you went in you were either lucky or lame

Perfect examples being me and my former roommate. While I should by all rights be sitting in a Korean prison right now because of a night spent with some of their Recon Marines, he's an ultra-Mormon weaboo who spent 95% of the weekends playing Starcraft.

ROK Marines are like wind-up toys fueled by alcohol, if you get swept up in their shenanigans while you're out then you're in for a loving wild ride.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Vasudus posted:

We were told "What's the easiest way to make E-5 when you're in Korea? Go as a E-6". We had an E-6 and an E-7 (the E-6s platoon sergeant) go out drinking on a saturday night. After they both got really drunk, the E-7 (who drove them both out to wherever they went in Seoul) apparently said gently caress it and left the E-6 drunk at the bar. Eventually, the E-6 tried to get back to base but fell asleep on the train or something and wound up missing curfew and getting arrested. The E-6 got demoted to E-4 and didn't give a gently caress about anything for the last 2 months of the rotation. The E-7 probably got a stern talking to or something about being a blue falcon, as he continued to be a platoon sergeant.

I was 20 when I went and wasn't legally allowed to drink until there were only about 2 months left; my commander told me he didn't want me losing my stripes so quick despite the fact I had never been a discipline problem, so I wasn't allowed to drink in Korea even after I turned 21. No crazy shenanigans for me except one time me and my buddy almost got caught in the middle of some big anti-US beef rally. I liked Korea, neat place.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

thetechnoloser posted:

Honduras is awesome. AFN is awesome (I wear a polo and khakis to work every day). Doing afternoon radio is awesome.

Only bad thing is someone found out I came here from the Old Guard, and now i have to hold the US flag for some CoC.

I told them I was PAO, for christsakes, not to mention three inches too short to even try out for TOG color team (6'6" min.). No dice. It's me, another Army guy, 2 AF, and some Honduran. We're gonna be ate the gently caress up! Woohoo!

Still worth it. Went ziplining for 30$ last weekend, then BBQd by the pool on Sunday. First Memorial day off in 4 years. gently caress the Old Guard.

did you get wrangled into an old guard contract in bct

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Please surrender whatever remains in your skull. You clearly no longer need it.

It only took me 2 years to get everything I wanted out of the army, and I'm going to sell more years to live in Germany.

Being only half retarded though, I'm not going to reenlist unless I get it. "Oh, just re-up, stay in Campbell a little longer, and then call branch", nah gently caress off.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nimmy posted:

It only took me 2 years to get everything I wanted out of the army, and I'm going to sell more years to live in Germany.

Being only half retarded though, I'm not going to reenlist unless I get it. "Oh, just re-up, stay in Campbell a little longer, and then call branch", nah gently caress off.

Germany's OPFOR is pretty great apparently

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009

Nimmy posted:

I did the exact same thing and regretted it immensely. I wanted to travel, instead 3-158 AHB decided that we would spend 8 out of 12 of the months in various fields like JMRC or multinational training in Latvia or Lithuania. I've been here for two years now, and have probably enjoyed three months of my time here. Most of my time has been either in JMRC or Poland/Latvia sleeping on a cot, and I am an intel weenie with an aviation unit wtf.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I feel like I missed out on a good deal of classic army stupidity by not deploying to Korea.

Of course, this brigade is supposed to rotate through in 2019, but God help me if I'm still in the Army then.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

psydude posted:

I feel like I missed out on a good deal of classic army stupidity by not deploying to Korea.

Of course, this brigade is supposed to rotate through in 2019, but God help me if I'm still in the Army then.

My ETS date goes through then, but I'm NG not reserves.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

LeoMarr posted:

did you get wrangled into an old guard contract in bct

LOL, I've been out of BCT quite a while. I got voluntold after a reclass. I'm PAO, not 11B.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Knocked out the OCS history exam, it was pretty easy, can't believe its one of the parts of OCS that causes some of the most recycles.

Pretty much just outpressing poo poo left to do before commissioning. Word is I'll find out my unit sometime in the next 2 weeks.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mustang posted:

Knocked out the OCS history exam, it was pretty easy, can't believe its one of the parts of OCS that causes some of the most recycles.

Pretty much just outpressing poo poo left to do before commissioning. Word is I'll find out my unit sometime in the next 2 weeks.

this is where you get sent to a tradoc environment and tell us it isn't that bad right

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LeoMarr posted:

this is where you get sent to a tradoc environment and tell us it isn't that bad right

Between the snowbirding and the length of Armor school he won't be leaving Benning until almost a year from now.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm already stuck at Benning for ABOLC, it will be depressing if I get sent down the street to 3rd ID.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mustang posted:

I'm already stuck at Benning for ABOLC, it will be depressing if I get sent down the street to 3rd ID.

NAh you'll get 2-54 or 2-45 and really want to kill yourself. Or you'll be a 30th AG XO and learn nothing but how to be a Tradoc CO.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
lol if he gets stuck at 2-54 or 30th AG

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Nimmy posted:

lmao just because you get the duty station you want doesn't mean the army won't drill your rear end in a top hat so hard with the green wienie that the worst hemorrhoid imaginable would seem like paradise

seriously what the gently caress is wrong with you

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
lol peacetime Army

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
i once heard that you don't actually have to be in the military to live in a foreign country

i also heard that being in a foreign country because you are in the military is the worst loving way ever to experience a foreign country

can anyone confirm or deny any of these?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Confirm: I was born in Germany and can hardly remember a goddam thing about it other than being at a Halloween party once and these other kids had cool toy trucks to play with and I didn't and never did. What a load of crap.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Cole posted:

i also heard that being in a foreign country because you are in the military is the worst loving way ever to experience a foreign country

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I've been to Korea in the military and as a civilian.

Did you know civilians don't have curfews? And no off limits areas? Also, koreans don't loving loathe you.

Tourist Korea best Korea.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

psydude posted:

Wait you are in my guess is a reserve signal brigade that is supposed to rotate through korea? I didn't know that Reserve units did that. Sounds terrible.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

White Chocolate posted:

Wait you are in my guess is a reserve signal brigade that is supposed to rotate through korea? I didn't know that Reserve units did that. Sounds terrible.

drawdown :ms:

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Cole posted:

i once heard that you don't actually have to be in the military to live in a foreign country

can anyone confirm or deny any of these?

I know you're right, but the odds of me moving to Germany without language skills as a civilian is virtually zero. Being the stupid gaylord that I am, I think that I can go there, learn the language, and stick around the country after ETS.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nimmy posted:

I know you're right, but the odds of me moving to Germany without language skills as a civilian is virtually zero. Being the stupid gaylord that I am, I think that I can go there, learn the language, and stick around the country after ETS.

Rosetta Stone sucks less dick than an enlistment.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Wasabi the J posted:

Rosetta Stone sucks less dick than an enlistment.

Sucking dick sucks less dick than an enlistment.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

White Chocolate posted:

When you hear the term "operational reserve" this is what they're referring to - treating the Reserves like they're available for deployment just like Active Duty, only less frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Nimmy posted:

Do you know what unit you're headed to yet? If not, what's your MOS? They've closed a lot of the better duty stations and housing here has some pretty stupid rules that could force you to live on post regardless of your rank. I assume you're a single SSG or below, so prepare to live in the barracks. Europe has been kind to me. Not so much for Ptolemaeus, apparently.

• Locked thread