Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Some guys work better or worse than other in certain places. Guys with bleed effects aren't good against skeletons, blight is bad against pigs, stuff like that. So there doesn't seem to be an all around "best" party, but some guys are better in different dungeons than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I've been doing pretty well with a Crusader and Leper in the front to both buff up and tank, while my other party members attack from the back. With stuns, buffs, and aoe's, I always bring at least one of them. I think the Crusader just barely beats out the Leper because of his stun, higher accuracy, and better mobility.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

ZypherIM posted:

Some guys work better or worse than other in certain places. Guys with bleed effects aren't good against skeletons, blight is bad against pigs, stuff like that. So there doesn't seem to be an all around "best" party, but some guys are better in different dungeons than others.

Except Men-At-Arms, they are appropriate for all circumstances.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Also hellions, the bleed class, function about as well against the undead as anything else, since the bleed is just the thing that happens after a creature gets 1-shot.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

welp the Prophet killed 4 of my best guys, including Dismas. Jesus christ his HP is so high and that loving rubble screwed me over. Hellion's Iron Swan is like required for that poo poo, there's no way you'll be able to survive after spending that much time clearing the rubble. I was just supremely hosed with the Bounty Hunter, Occultist's crapshoot heal, and Crusader.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 30, 2015

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
I am of the opinion that the Man At Arms' Retribution might be a little over powered. I routinely take 0 damage thanks to the prot buff while dishing out decent to heavy damage against attacks, which thanks to Marked, is pretty often. They might want to make it so that Riposte disappears after the first attack made against you.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Man at Arms is amazing. Arbalist seems a little underwhelming so far.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Arbalist is good as hell imo, she's accurate, deals high damage, can hit basically any target she wants and has good crit chance. In addition to that, she's fairly tough and has an emergency heal that synergizes with all other heals. Plus she can buff her own speed to insane levels and fart a really nasty debuff all over 3/4 of the enemy team all day long. She's not brokenly good, but she's definitely Good.

I just brought a party back victorious after defeating the Necromancer and winning a Legendary Bracer. I was all excited until I read the report and discovered that my drunkard Hellion had somehow managed to misplace the bracer they'd just won while they were off winning it. What the gently caress?

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 30, 2015

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I am sad to learn that my key from the kickstarter disappeared because I was impatient and bought the game right away. Was hoping to give it away :(

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Arbalist's heal buff + Occultist heals means I was healing for 8-14 at times without any ability upgrades.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Bobo the Red posted:

I am sad to learn that my key from the kickstarter disappeared because I was impatient and bought the game right away. Was hoping to give it away :(

If you bought it twice, email them, they'll probably hook you up. They seem like a cool game company.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Man-at-Arms seems pretty drat good so far, not really impressed with him by himself, but his camp buffs stacked onto a hellion or a leper are definitely worth it. Although it might just be me, but medium length dungeons seem more difficult. It used to be that I didn't bother running short dungeons at all because the risk was actually lesser in the mediums and the rewards higher.

edit: although the starting game rng bullshit is miserable. I've had a a character stress break in their first fight because they got double teamed by a cultist witch and skeleton courtier in my first game, then contributed nothing to the dungeon the rest of the time. On restart I had a character get taken out in the second fight of the first dungeon due to back to back spider crits. Third time was the charm.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 30, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Arbalest seems tailor made for an occultist buddy. She sets up heal buffs for his juicy heal rolls, he sets up marks for her. On her own, though, she seems pretty meh. She has lots of cool utility powers but you can't cram all of the stuff she needs into 4 ability slots. If you don't have blindfire you're completely helpless if you ever get shuffled out of the back. If you don't have snipe you can't do single target damage. If you don't have heal you can't really do anything to differentiate yourself from higher damage fighting classes. If you don't have bola you're not really going to distinguish yourself from other healers that are better at it than you. Suppressing fire and stun heals sound neat but they're really not strong enough to justify leaving out her core abilities.

In other news, there's a common vestal trinket with +2 prot and quirks that give up to +2 prot. I have a vestal with 6 protection and I'm not even done with the apprentice missions yet :psyduck:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Well they just nerfed +prot stuff, it used to be 5 not 2. So it is probably not that crazy anymore.

I'm on board with man-at-arms seeming really strong, while arbalest needs some more care to be decent. Man-at-arms either has a solid stun, an attack that hits the front 3 ranks, or buffs that hit your whole party. Like he doesn't seem like he doesn't work for any option. Arbalest at least seems like she needs to work with an occultist or bounty hunter to start to be decent.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
Really liking the update, its a lot of fun so far. If you run across any Shambler Shrines, give them a torch for a fun little mini-boss fight. New class-wise, both the Arbalest and the Man at Arms have been very good. Arbalest a nice debuff/attacker and pairs really well with the Bounty Hunter/occultist, or she's a decent healer. As a debuffer, they work really well, their backrow aoe gives a pretty solid accuracy penalty, and the bolas are pretty nice to shuffle stuff.

The Man at Arms is brokenly good right now, and prolly gonna get hit hard with the nerf bat.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Unwise_Cashew posted:

The Man at Arms is brokenly good right now, and prolly gonna get hit hard with the nerf bat.

Why must they break something beautiful.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Because grimdark doesn't mean a thing if it becomes easy. Hope must be earned, and be a struggle.

I can't say how much I agree exactly, but I imagine that's the thinking.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 30, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ZypherIM posted:

Well they just nerfed +prot stuff, it used to be 5 not 2. So it is probably not that crazy anymore.

No, still that crazy. A single point of protection is fantastic, 6 is insane.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Gabriel Pope posted:

No, still that crazy. A single point of protection is fantastic, 6 is insane.

Wasn't it completely reworked? I haven't played in a while, but wasn't it % damage reduction before, but now is a flat amount taken off of hits?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Retribution is amazing.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

That's still kind of insane; I had a fresh-off-the-wagon Leper eating hits from sword skeletons and taking 0 damage last night, low light be damned. Protection is quite powerful. On abilities it's counterbalanced by opportunity costs, but permanent protection is incredibly good.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Arbalest is an amazing boss killer, Man-At-Arms is an amazing everything, so Arbalest seems bad in comparison :v:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Minrad posted:

Arbalest is an amazing boss killer, Man-At-Arms is an amazing everything, so Arbalest seems bad in comparison :v:

The new guys really feel good to use, shame that won't last!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I feel like all the classes can be great once you get them going. Except for Plague which I still dunno wtf

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Rascyc posted:

I feel like all the classes can be great once you get them going. Except for Plague which I still dunno wtf

They still have the two back row stuns and plagues!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Plague Doctors are invaluable in sustained battles because nobody does damage over time the way they do.

The problem being, the only sustained battles in the game, really, are boss fights. Most other things don't have a ton of HP and it makes a lot more sense to just butcher things as fast as humanly possible.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Coolguye posted:

Plague Doctors are invaluable in sustained battles because nobody does damage over time the way they do.

The problem being, the only sustained battles in the game, really, are boss fights. Most other things don't have a ton of HP and it makes a lot more sense to just butcher things as fast as humanly possible.

Not to mention every instance of damage over time is reliant on resistances, cannot crit, cannot be increased by +dmg.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I dunno, I'm actually coming around on the Plague Doctor. Being able to remove blight/bleed is actually pretty huge for damage prevention (although their failure chance is obnoxious) and now that trinkets have gone through a few rounds of buffs it's possible to get very reliable multitarget stuns with them.

Arbalest is also a lot better than she looks at first glance. She gets ridiculously good weapon upgrades and camping skill buffs, so while she's mediocre on a short rookie mission after a couple levels and a few buffs she will tear poo poo up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dackel posted:

Not to mention every instance of damage over time is reliant on resistances, cannot crit, cannot be increased by +dmg.

They also tend to do more net damage than a similar direct attack, and the damage is reliable once applied, though. Stacking those skills is legit as hell. Gabriel's also right that Battlefield Medicine, while not a huge boon early on, becomes VERY good at the veteran and champion level, as enemy DoTs ramp up and the PD's failure chance gets whittled down.

I certainly wouldn't say no to a few more PD tweaks, but she's not aggressively terrible or anything.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Once you get them to level 3 skills, man at arms in front with vestal at 3 stun/single heal/party heal and an arbalest at 4 with bounty hunter at 2 is brutal as poo poo. For some places you can swap in a hellion or crusader but either way it's a really strong combo right now.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah. Before the update, Vestal - Bounty Hunter - Hellion - Hellion was my go-to group for when I couldn't be bothered to think about party composition. Now I've replaced one Hellion with a Man-at-Arms and it's even better.

The game straight up refuses to give me an Arbalest, but her abilities look pretty good I guess. Shame she's only a secondary healer though, I'm getting really tired of Vestals but don't ever want to rely on Occultists.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The Arbalest looks like Vasquez holding a smartgun, and that makes me smile.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So I haven't played this since February. From what I understand they've added two new classes, more monsters, bosses, and relics. Any other big additions?

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Genocyber posted:

So I haven't played this since February. From what I understand they've added two new classes, more monsters, bosses, and relics. Any other big additions?

Slightly different colored character outfits.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Weapon icons now look visually different with increased upgrades, armor doesn't though.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Genocyber posted:

There is a turn indicator now next to HP bar to see who has taken a turn (not order though).

Also holy poo poo, Man-at-Arms is ridiculous... Anyone at high lvl can give some insight how MAA and Arbalest compare to the rest?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Also, you can sell trinkets, and stress can overflow up to 200, at which point it causes a fatal, terror-induced heart attack.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also, you can sell trinkets, and stress can overflow up to 200, at which point it causes a fatal, terror-induced heart attack.

This and the "unequip all trinkets" button. Love that addition.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

On a moderately related note, holy poo poo that prophet boss :stare: I stupidly assumed I was going to fight the Necromancer and went up against him with a Crusader/ Leper/ Highwayman/ Vestal combo. Thank gently caress for holy lance; Dismas and my Vestal came within a single action of death before Reynauld managed to strike the killing blow.

Next time I'm gonna bring two Arbalists and have one of them mark him :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Angry Diplomat posted:

Next time I'm gonna bring two Arbalists and have one of them mark him :unsmigghh:

For anyone having trouble with the Prophet, this is the thing to do. The dude can't dodge, can't heal himself and deals damage predictably. Bring a Man-At-Arms for guard and retribution, two people who can hit the back row, a healer, and you're golden. I accidentally chose the right party and beat him without breaking a sweat.

In other news, the Flesh is pretty brutal. Bring big damage and/or DoTs, because it has mad protection (8+ for the apprentice version!). Hardest boss in the game IMO, since there doesn't seem to be an easy solution for it.