Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
when does smythe probe us? :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Space Whale posted:

when does smythe probe us? :q:

i was blustering i dont think i have that kind of pull with the big man

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c maths sa stroud showed up and is large

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i was blustering i dont think i have that kind of pull with the big man

Well dammit I got all excited for nothing :(

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
lol at writing maths when the forums don't support latex

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

MeruFM posted:

lol at writing maths when the forums don't support latex

um i think you mean LATEX

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Bloody posted:

c maths sa stroud showed up and is large
:toot:

hope you've got a quiet weekend ahead

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Jabor posted:

um i think you mean LATEX

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

lahtec

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Jabor posted:

um i think you mean \latex

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MeruFM posted:

lol at writing maths when the forums don't support MathML

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

a LATEX BBCode tag would be pretty cool IMO

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

VikingofRock posted:

a LATEX BBCode tag would be pretty cool IMO

itll never happen

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i could it add it into SA Needful easily enough - there are javascript libraries for latex parsing of course, but it would obviously rely on other people actually using it to also see the results

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

im not entirely sure we use maths enough to make it useful

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
true, nor would i like to see that much maths either

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Just imagine the elegance of our pissing matches though.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Space Whale posted:

http://www.yummymath.com/wp-content/uploads/Parabolic-pee.pdf

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Space Whale posted:

Or the quality of our zalgos

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

great for an intro calc class but i would expect someone taking physics to take into account the angle of the dangle

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

VikingofRock posted:

Or the quality of our zalgos

T̯̳͊͆̀̆͊͠h̻̠͖̩̝e̵̮͎ͣ ̷̭̪̺̟͈̪d̦̯͕͙̝̘̋ͧ̔̚e̖̱̥͍̦͓̓f͉͇̘̭̩ͬͬ̓̓͐͂̊i̠͓͈̩̙̬n̢͔̱̳̮̺͈̉i͈̼̹͊ͪ̑ͨͨt̸͖̪̰ͧͩ̏ė͙̦͖ͬͫ̽̓ͥͬ͝ ̜̝̠ͤ̾̇̈́ͣ̽̂ǐ̛̥̜̮͙ͪ̐ͦͅn̮̽͊̀̓̀ţ̬̺̯͚̲̋ͧ̀̎ͧ̍̌e̖̬̟͉̲̔ͦ̓̒͞ͅg̓͑r̴̞̂ḁ̛͚̪͖̹̦̳̒͂̂t̡͇̮̦͍̘̜̉ͯi͉̮̤̪̿̃̌͋o̦͍̻̔ͅn̢͎̳ͨ̏ ̥͓̮̝̓̏ͩ̔ͤo̮͎̼̲̟̞̟͌̃ͨ̂͛͌̈f̧̦̣͈̯̽ ̘̺͌͊̃̂a̶̞̘̙̫̳͍ͩͅ ̘͉͎̯̩̔̅ͣf̢̎̏̓̇͌ͥ̎ṵ̝͈͙̟̗̼͑ͮ̓͛̀́n͇̜̬̦̹̩̈̽ͣc̫̞͐̾͛͒͐͆̚t̡̝̮̮̣̑ͣ̚ͅī̞̳̺̯͛͛͂̓ö͚͕͈̞̬̼́ͫ̀ͬ̿̍̋n͍̣͆̐ ͋ͨ̔iͭ͊͂ͪ̑̂s̘̗̫̩͔̹ͅ ̞̫͔͚͔̔ͭ͆ͥ̊̏̚͞ͅȑ̠̥ͣ́̈́ëͬͯl̤̫a̻̫͊͗ͪ̓ͬͮ͠ẗ̜́̋e̥̦ͪ̎͂ͤ̆̚d̒͏̺̪̟ ̩̠͚̝͞t͚̜̩̘̏̽ͥ͗̀̇o̢̮̱͉̓̍̈͑̒̽̚ ̲͎i̍ͤ͐ͮ͠t̻͗̔̊͗̿ͦ͂s̬̱̦̖͙̒̎ ̗̰̱̹̻̓̋̒a͉ͭͧ͆͌͐̓n̷̫͔̻̬ͥ͋̋͗̈̌ͪͅt҉͕̺͎̤i̵̮̭̱ͧͪd̗͉̮͋͆̈e̶͕̻͑ͮ̾ͣ̄̃ͨr̨͙̐̃̀̅̔̑i̳̥̞ͣ͒͢v͓͙͇͙̈́a̸̤̯̭͖̾ͩ͊̈t̅͊̓͊̃͡i̧̦͖͓ṽ̑͗҉̖̮͚͈͖̭ͅe̝ͨ͑̄̿̔̅,̫̰̼̘̳͚ ̶͑̚a̰̪̱̱͛̇ͯn͛ͪͯ͆̈͏͖̼͖͙̟̼d́̏̄͜ ̜̙͆̀̀c̠͙̲̆̄a̭͉̪̘̦̅n͉̝̈ͧ̑̐ͪ͝ ͙͓͌͐̈́͆̐̚̚͠b̦́ͣ̾̏̾e͕̜̮͍̝̼ͩͥ̊ͅ ͔̣̏̓̅̂͒ṛ͆̉̒̔ͬe͔̱̋ͨͩͨ͘ͅv̨̝̲͕͗͛̽ē̟ͧͤ̚r̴̎ͭ̐̈́ͧ́s̭̹̻͈̣̭͔̉̓̋ͨ̀͝e̻͇̟͗͐̄ͫ̄̓͡d͜ ̓̄͌ͤb̖̩̝̤̺y̨̖̱̤̝̱̝͆ ͐̍͑̒ͨ͂҉̘̫̹d̢̮͇̜̱̩̦̍̆͐ͪͅiͯ̃̎ͦ̀f̳̤̳̼̟̙̃ͬf̛͓̣̼̺͈̯̀e͚̲͈̽̐ͨr͚͠e͒̿̂ͨ҉n̜͎̬͎̖͐̈́̈ͩ̿͠t̯̞̮̗̦̘̥ĩ͔̞ͬ̏ͥͯͯ͜a̙͚̣̓ͨ̚̕t̡̥̱ͨͩ͑͒̔͆̚į̘̽͌͗̉̐̽͋o̓ͥñ̸̳̤̪̄̌͂͑͐.̶̼͔ ̭ͨ̀ͦ̏ͦ͠

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

FamDav posted:

angle of the dangle

mods

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

i hate when people forget units.

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

piss units

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
homework is for nerds

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
c f# s:

oh wow, it's not enough to make sure that all the definitions are in the right order in a file, but all the files have to be in the right order too. why does anybody defend single-pass compiling again?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
my friend, who is also 22 and doing comp sci at a different uni, just got a paper published and gets a free trip to Italy to present it at a conference :stare:

gonadic io posted:

c f# s:

oh wow, it's not enough to make sure that all the definitions are in the right order in a file, but all the files have to be in the right order too. why does anybody defend single-pass compiling again?

ARE there many people defending it?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Valeyard posted:

my friend, who is also 22 and doing comp sci at a different uni, just got a paper published and gets a free trip to Italy to present it at a conference :stare:

ARE there many people defending it?

i got 2 co-authored published papers before i was 20
theyre pretty lovely in bad journals though

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Awia posted:

i got 2 co-authored published papers before i was 20
theyre pretty lovely in bad journals though

man, thats not loving around though

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Valeyard posted:

man, thats not loving around though

they got me into uni!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

i should be 'publishing' my first paper this week, hooray

'publishing' because there's no actual value in me getting it published or taking it to a conference since it's more a bioscience paper than a ML paper and im not in academia anyway. so it's just gonna get uploaded to biorxiv and the code stuck on github. but still!

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

gonadic io posted:

c f# s:

it's not a pass thing, it's a side effect thing. modules can contain expressions to run at initialization time, so they have to be ordered into a dag

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

coffeetable posted:

MACHINE LEARNING AND MATHS

• next you need a book that transitions you from high-school applied maths to undergraduate proof-based maths. i have completely forgotten what i used to make the hop, and i don't want to recommend anything without checking it myself. will come back and edit something in later.

i am following up on this incredibly good post from several pages ago to ask if you recalled what book this was

my copy of strouds is in the mail rn

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gonadic io posted:

c f# s:

can you redefine things? when would there ever be two possibly-correct orderings?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Share Bear posted:

i am following up on this incredibly good post from several pages ago to ask if you recalled what book this was

my copy of strouds is in the mail rn
i did; it turns out my first courses on maths at uni were supported just by notes. notes that are, in hindsight, not that great. instead im gonna say go with How to Prove It: A Structured Approach. it wasn't the first book on proof i read, but it's one of the best. the stuff it covers isn't directly relevant to linear alg or ML, but it turns up all over the place anyway and i think it works well as a friendly intro to mathematical thinking.

that said, the foundations of maths are pretty wide. you can get into logic, probability, set theory, graph theory, real analysis (think of 'analysis' as 'rigorous calculus' for now), discrete maths (combinatorics/counting) and a bunch of other stuff without needing much in the way of prerequisites, and they'll all serve well as intros to mathematical thinking. if any of those pique your interest, the easiest way to tell if you can handle a maths book is to read the preface (where the author will usually mention the audience it's intended for) then try to read the first chapter (usually titled 'preliminaries' or w/e) on Amazon or the author's website or LibGen. if it all seems very easy, you're probably ready for it. if there's stuff you're unfamiliar with in the first few pages, back off and find a more foundational book.

nb: books for fresh undergrads are commonly titled 'a first course in'/'introductory'/'foundations of', but so are books for fresh postgrads. read the first chapter before buying!

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

coffeetable posted:

i did; it turns out my first courses on maths at uni were supported just by notes. notes that are, in hindsight, not that great. instead im gonna say go with How to Prove It: A Structured Approach. it wasn't the first book on proof i read, but it's one of the best. the stuff it covers isn't directly relevant to linear alg or ML, but it turns up all over the place anyway and i think it works well as a friendly intro to mathematical thinking.

that said, the foundations of maths are pretty wide. you can get into logic, probability, set theory, graph theory, real analysis (think of 'analysis' as 'rigorous calculus' for now), discrete maths (combinatorics/counting) and a bunch of other stuff without needing much in the way of prerequisites, and they'll all serve well as intros to mathematical thinking. if any of those pique your interest, the easiest way to tell if you can handle a maths book is to read the preface (where the author will usually mention the audience it's intended for) then try to read the first chapter (usually titled 'preliminaries' or w/e) on Amazon or the author's website or LibGen. if it all seems very easy, you're probably ready for it. if there's stuff you're unfamiliar with in the first few pages, back off and find a more foundational book.

nb: books for fresh undergrads are commonly titled 'a first course in'/'introductory'/'foundations of', but so are books for fresh postgrads. read the first chapter before buying!

word thank you very much

if you're ever in nyc ill get you a beer

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

coffeetable posted:

any good recs for stats? i have taken like four probability classes (and the typical haul of calc and linear algebra and poo poo) but basically no statistics and it seems like a huge gaping hole especially wrt ML

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Share Bear posted:

word thank you very much

if you're ever in nyc ill get you a beer

also this but boston

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i will buy a battered, deep fried sausage for any yosposter in glasgow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU