Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Did you install the developer version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

slidebite posted:

I just installed youtube center and it doesn't seem to be working. There is no "cog" at the upper right like there is supposed to be. Any idea why?

You probably installed the version from the addon site, which due to how often YouTube changes their site, is way out of date. Install the developer version from here:

https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki/Developer-Version

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Anyone else having problems with Outlook.com in Firefox 40? Performance is terrible for me (actually performance isn't great across the board at the moment, not sure if it's an extension or the browser itself) and it takes ages to load messages in the reading pane.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
For anyone else who didn't see it, Firefox now has a tracking protection system built in: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tracking-protection-firefox
Set privacy.trackingprotection.enabled to true to enable it.

http://ieee-security.org/TC/SPW2015/W2SP/papers/W2SP_2015_submission_32.pdf
Abstract
—We present Tracking Protection in the Mozilla Firefox web browser. Tracking Protection is a new privacy technology to mitigate invasive tracking of users’ online activity by blocking requests to tracking domains. We evaluate our approach and demonstrate a 67.5% reduction in the number of HTTP cookies set during a crawl of the Alexa top 200 news sites. Since Firefox does not download and render content from tracking domains, Tracking Protection also enjoys performance benefits of a 44% median reduction in page load time and 39% reduction in data usage in the Alexa top 200 news sites.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

For anyone else who didn't see it, Firefox now has a tracking protection system built in
Neat! Looks like they're using Disconnect's blocklists.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

xamphear posted:

You probably installed the version from the addon site, which due to how often YouTube changes their site, is way out of date. Install the developer version from here:

https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki/Developer-Version

Thanks

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

For anyone else who didn't see it, Firefox now has a tracking protection system...

This is significant! I might consider switching from Chrome if this ends up being a reliable feature. unlock has been great, but I feel that Mozilla can probably build something even better!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone else having problems with Outlook.com in Firefox 40? Performance is terrible for me (actually performance isn't great across the board at the moment, not sure if it's an extension or the browser itself) and it takes ages to load messages in the reading pane.
I have a similar problem. Performance has been terrible with Outlook.com and Amazon.com the past few Firefox versions.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mirificus posted:

I have a similar problem. Performance has been terrible with Outlook.com and Amazon.com the past few Firefox versions.

I wonder if it's extensions - these are mine:

You using one or more of those?

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

Different person, but I was using Findbar Tweak as well and after disabling it, Amazon seems much more responsive.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Is firefox gonna track browsing history and do targeted ads now?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

tekz posted:

Is firefox gonna track browsing history and do targeted ads now?
Only in the sense that your browser already keeps your browsing history. Mozilla sends down ads to display if your history contains certain sites and your browser displays the matching ones, your history isn't sent to Mozilla.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The only extension we have in common is uBlock.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's easy to test this by going Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled and see if performance on those sites improves any.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I have two requests for addons that I have seen either mentioned or asked about in the thread but can't remember. First is one that automatically clicks the notification that the site uses cookies (this may be EU only?).

Second a working alternative to flashblock?

e - thanks guys.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 25, 2015

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Jippa posted:

I have two requests for addons that I have seen either mentioned or asked about in the thread but can't remember. First is one that automatically clicks the notification that the site uses cookies (this may be EU only?).

There's a list in uBlock that hides those notifications.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Jippa posted:

Second a working alternative to flashblock?

I Don't Care About Cookies hides a lot of those dumb cookie banners.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Knormal posted:

It's easy to test this by going Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled and see if performance on those sites improves any.

Done, Outlook.com still barely works either in Safe Mode or with a new profile. Anyone else getting this on any version? I'm on 40, 64-bit.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Works with 38.0.1 EME free. No safe mode but also not to many special add-ons either. It is a lil' clunky on initial log in but it always was for me.

Same with Amazon.

Oddly though lately the SA forums sometimes will stall out while loading up. Refreshing the page 'fixes' it and everything loads up quickly afterwards so I don't really care. I'm not using SALR either.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I've been finding that Tree Style Tab runs like crap lately, but there's a "nightly" here from the 11th May that seems to work a lot better.

http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/xpi/nightly/

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

m2pt5 posted:

Why isn't there a "Share through Firefox Sync" service for desktop Firefox like there is standard on the Android version? It should be as easy to send urls in the other direction as well.

I have no idea how those things are written or I would do it myself.

poo poo, it's only been a month since I last asked this? I used Pushbullet for a while, but it stopped working on my tablet for some reason.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

m2pt5 posted:

poo poo, it's only been a month since I last asked this? I used Pushbullet for a while, but it stopped working on my tablet for some reason.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/send-tab-to-device/ works but I found both ways to be extremely slow. I'm not sure if it is related, but before the Mozilla accounts change sending tabs used to be instantaneous for me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For some reason, I can't get YouTube Center to apply any settings to embedded videos, SA included. It seems to work fine on the site itself, however.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

hooah posted:

For some reason, I can't get YouTube Center to apply any settings to embedded videos, SA included. It seems to work fine on the site itself, however.

Something probably broke. I noticed that HTML5 video doesn't get resized properly anymore so Google most likely made yet some more breaking changes that haven't been fixed in YTC yet.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Lum posted:

I've been finding that Tree Style Tab runs like crap lately, but there's a "nightly" here from the 11th May that seems to work a lot better.

http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/xpi/nightly/

It also fixes your tabs floating in the middle of the website until you resize the window if you use All-in-One Sidebar.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Grim Up North posted:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/send-tab-to-device/ works but I found both ways to be extremely slow. I'm not sure if it is related, but before the Mozilla accounts change sending tabs used to be instantaneous for me.

I've seen that, but the option doesn't appear in menus anywhere when I install it.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

m2pt5 posted:

I've seen that, but the option doesn't appear in menus anywhere when I install it.

It shows up in the context menu of the page content, not the tab where I would have expected it.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Embedded youtubes are showing up black for me recently, on this site and others. I can still click the title bar link and watch it, but its not grabbing the preview thumbnail.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm probably the only one or I would have seen this thread blow up, but for unknown reasons Firefox 38.0.1 started crashing on me multiple times per hour. Disabling addons did nothing, refreshing the profile did nothing, clean reinstall did nothing. I could not think of anything more sensible than to go back to 36.0.4 where mystery garbage like this doesn't happen.

Not happy with that, but a man's got to browse. I'll try 39 when it's out on the regular channel, I guess.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I had 38.0.1 crash last night when I closed it, and when it restarted and I closed it again, it crashed again. Worked the third time, though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I've had the occasional crash before, but I'm talking about it increasing to this kind of frequency:

It's really odd. Something must have happened on the 28th, and I'm really willing to accept it's probably an update to an addon or something, except 36 isn't sensitive to it, even with the entire old profile re-imported, while a complete clean profile with all addons gone didn't fix it for 38. Video drivers already on the most recent ones I can get.

Fapos
Feb 10, 2004

*FAP* *FaP* *faP*
Was there nothing under related bugs when you visit those crash reports?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Fapos posted:

Was there nothing under related bugs when you visit those crash reports?
There don't seem to be any. Here's an example. They all seem to say pretty much the same thing as far as what's in that Crashing Thread table, but I really don't understand much of what any of the things mean.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Flipperwaldt posted:

There don't seem to be any. Here's an example. They all seem to say pretty much the same thing as far as what's in that Crashing Thread table, but I really don't understand much of what any of the things mean.
Since your crash is in xul.dll it seems to be related to the user interface, I would typically blame this on a UI add-on. You're sure it is happening with a completely clean profile? It might also be a good idea to verify the system can pass a memory diagnostic, either Memtest86+ or the Windows Memory Diagnostic from Start, Search, Memory, though if you're only having issues in Firefox it probably isn't a RAM issue.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 30, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Alereon posted:

You're sure it is happening with a completely clean profile?
As clean as the refresh function leaves it. Not going to lie, I didn't go as far as manually creating a new profile because I forgot that was a thing.

Built-in memory diagnostic came back clean.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
When I first enabled multiprocessing, things seemed much faster, but now everything feels a lot slower. Did something happen?
(Plus for whatever reason the attach button in online outlook is broken with multiprocessing on.)

I've disabled all my addons except noscript, mu block and greasemonkey, but that did nothing.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Flipperwaldt posted:

As clean as the refresh function leaves it. Not going to lie, I didn't go as far as manually creating a new profile because I forgot that was a thing.

Built-in memory diagnostic came back clean.
This might be one of the rare times that uninstalling Firefox, deleting the program directory, and installing fresh can help. Or there could be some bug, but I haven't been having crashes on Beta 38.0.5 or 39.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Alereon posted:

This might be one of the rare times that uninstalling Firefox, deleting the program directory, and installing fresh can help. Or there could be some bug, but I haven't been having crashes on Beta 38.0.5 or 39.
38.0.5 is scheduled to go live in a couple of days, I guess I can give it another shot then. Though the 36 install I'm using now has been really stable so far. So maybe I'll get away with simply upgrading. A couple of addons I'm using don't have proper options to export settings, which is a bitch.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
plugincontainer has been throwing toys out of its pram on a regular basis the last week. I'm going to have to run a memory diagnostic, just to be on the safe side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thanks for sticking uBlock in the thread title! I'm hoping it and NoScript get ported to Edge (along with Self-Destructing Cookies and a Flash downloader of some kind) however, as once Windows 10 is released I might ditch Firefox entirely.