Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32941740

So cute. :allears: So, what are the odds that Blatter's in denial, or simply does not comprehend the reach and purpose of RICO cases and the DoJ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dolash posted:

Seal Team Six extract Putin from the Kremlin to face justice... for international sporting events related bribery.

Someone better be on the phone to a Hollywood movie exec right now.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Someone better be on the phone to a Hollywood movie exec right now.
This entire thing is going to turn into a great thriller, I can feel it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ha, Blatter is accusing America of going after FIFA because we lost the 2022 Cup bid. Does he really have no idea just how much of the population never even knew that?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Alkydere posted:

So cute. :allears: So, what are the odds that Blatter's in denial, or simply does not comprehend the reach and purpose of RICO cases and the DoJ?

It does not surprise me at all that the guy has such a huge ego that he thinks himself to be untouchable.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

mdemone posted:

Ha, Blatter is accusing America of going after FIFA because we lost the 2022 Cup bid. Does he really have no idea just how much of the population never even knew that?
He lives in another world completely, it seems. He's the President of Everybody, why wouldn't they know?

Here's another choice Blatter quote

quote:

Blatter said of the remarks: “Of course I am shocked. I would never as Fifa president make comments about another organisation without being certain of what has happened.”
There are so many things you could say about this, but I'll leave that as an exercise to the reader :allears:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

mdemone posted:

He's probably partially right in that this stems from losing the bid because of illegal activity from FIFA.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mdemone posted:

I suppose he may also not really have an idea of the scale of America, population-wise. If he sees eighty million fans in most countries, that's "everyone." In America that's 20%.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bip Roberts posted:

He's probably partially right in that this stems from losing the bid because of illegal activity from FIFA.

Apparently the investigation predates the whole bid, though I'm sure that broken mirror helped give it more juice.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bip Roberts posted:

I thought it stemmed from an idiot not paying taxes and a separate Russian mob investigation that both interlaced on FIFA. I mean losing the World Cup to Quatar also raised some eyebrows, but it seems that the overall investigation predates that.

You can gently caress with US soccer all you want, but you pay the tax man. Always pay the tax man. He doesn't care who you are, he want's his money, honey.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Mange Mite posted:

Apparently the investigation predates the whole bid, though I'm sure that broken mirror helped give it more juice.

The investigation predates Blatter as president of FIFA.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

karthun posted:

The investigation predates Blatter as president of FIFA.

It's important to remember that pre-Blatter FIFA was run by Joao Havelange, who was president for 24 years and served as a member of the IOC for nearly 50.

If you think Sepp is slimy and corrupt, just consider: 50 years on the IOC.

Havelange and another FIFA official actually received around 50 million Swiss francs in bribes from a company for World Cup and Olympic broadcasting rights, but this type of bribery wasn't illegal under Swiss law at the time.

Sepp even passed bribes along to Havelange while Sepp was FIFA Secretary General.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Alkydere posted:

I'm sure he comprehends his situation perfectly well. If not, he can afford the best lawyers in the world and they can comprehend it for him. I'm sure they've already explained how deep the poo poo is and I would bet dollars to doughnuts their strategy is to simply stall for time until he dies of natural causes.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Blatter is in a category of his own when it comes oozing loving corruption out of every pore in his body. You can see the crookedness on his ugly face. There are precious few cunts like him in the world. Berlusconi is another one that comes to mind. And Henry Paulson.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

OhYeah posted:

Blatter is in a category of his own when it comes oozing loving corruption out of every pore in his body. You can see the crookedness on his ugly face. There are precious few cunts like him in the world. Berlusconi is another one that comes to mind. And Henry Paulson.

Bernie Ecclestone.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

VideoTapir posted:

Bernie Ecclestone.

Ich finde dieses kapitalistische System gut :retrogames:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Someone needs to make a GIF of the Death Star blowing up a soccer ball instead of Alderaan.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

-Troika- posted:

Someone needs to make a GIF of the Death Star blowing up a soccer ball instead of Alderaan.
i don't like the optics on this. i would much prefer loretta lynch photoshopped on luke skywalker as she fires a proton torpedo to destroy the deathsoccerball

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

OhYeah posted:

I'm not familiar with those two, who are they?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Berlusconi was PM of Italy best known for being that corrupt, sleezy fellow who threw sex parties. One where he wouldn't check to make sure the hookers were over 18. He was prosecuted for that, and I think he was also charged with dodging taxes at one point.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Xenomrph posted:

I'm not familiar with those two, who are they?

Berlusconi is an infamously corrupt former Italian Prime Minister who is still somehow in poslitics despite being under prosecution for corruptions for years and being basically the modern version of Nero. Henry Paulson was the head of the US Treasury during some of the Bush years which means he was involved in both banking and a right leaning government which in D&D terms basically means he is UltraHitler Supreme 2000EX. Paulson is/was probably only corrupt in the way that virtually every Senator, Congressman and Governor in the US is.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
Berlusconi also owns AC Milan. So basically all soccer is rotten to the core god bless.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

Jonad posted:

Berlusconi is an infamously corrupt former Italian Prime Minister who is still somehow in poslitics despite being under prosecution for corruptions for years and being basically the modern version of Nero. Henry Paulson was the head of the US Treasury during some of the Bush years which means he was involved in both banking and a right leaning government which in D&D terms basically means he is UltraHitler Supreme 2000EX. Paulson is/was probably only corrupt in the way that virtually every Senator, Congressman and Governor in the US is.

pretty unfair to Nero, the historical sources painting him poorly aren't very credible

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Jonad posted:

paulson left goldman sachs to head the treasury, hes in deeper than the average congressional scumbag

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

VideoTapir posted:

Every banker on Wall Street is watching this and laughing.

It's only been a year since BNP Paribas pleaded guilty to charges and paid $9 billion for doing transactions in $US for Sudan, Iran and Cuba.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Mitsuo posted:

pretty unfair to Nero, the historical sources painting him poorly aren't very credible

Goon solidarity

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Anyone know why the construction in Qatar has been so deadly? A few major accidents, or just workers being forced to work in 130 degree heat without water or shade?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sullat posted:

Anyone know why the construction in Qatar has been so deadly? A few major accidents, or just workers being forced to work in 130 degree heat without water or shade?

They're literally using slave labor and it's been during the summer too.

The coolest month in Doha is January and the temperatures average around 17 C. Right now (i.e., May) the average is 31 C.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 31, 2015

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Fun scenario: declare the entirety of FIFA a criminal syndicate. :unsmigghh:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

ZenVulgarity posted:

Don't the RICO charges already do that?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

sincx posted:

That is pretty much the point of RICO, so yes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

sincx posted:

No, the US still hasn't slapped FIFA with a label that makes it so no US company can do business with them, meaning 99.5% of all possible sponsors.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Good news, everyone! :shobon:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32952426

"Daddy's not a criminal! He's just the victim of a conspiracy! He's not the one taking money! Qatar was given the World Cup entirely on its own merits!" :qq:

Seriously, this reeks of the Enron wife who started bawling about how they'd have to sell half of their mansions or whatever.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

sincx posted:

Pretty sure the angle the DoJ is going for is that there was a criminal organization that was defrauding FIFA

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jonad posted:

Paulson lost his bid to be one of the most corrupt people in the history of the US when his demand for total, completely opaque control of the entire financial bailout was denied.

In hindsight, maybe he should have been less ambitious with his starting offer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dr Pepper posted:

Pretty sure the angle the DoJ is going for is that there was a criminal organization that was defrauding FIFA
And that organization was "FIFA"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nessus posted:

And that organization was "FIFA"

Yeah on a fundamental level it was FIFA officials doing the old kickback scheme for everything from broadcast to merchandizing rights.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/31/fifa-sepp-blatter-champion-world-football-africa-asia

This is the funniest loving thing. Its like someone thought United Passions was a documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
No, Lid, THIS is the funniest loving thing: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/31/ex-fifa-vice-president-jack-warner-swallows-onion-spoof

The Guardian posted:

In a video on his Facebook page, [former FIFA vice president Jack] Warner appears to hold up a printout of an Onion article headlined “FIFA Frantically Announces 2015 Summer World Cup In United States” and, in a rambling address to camera says: “Then I look to see that Fifa has frantically announced, 2015, this year […] the World Cup, beginning May 27. If Fifa is so bad, why is it that the USA wants to keep the Fifa World Cup?”

Sadly, the actual video was removed sometime in the last eight hours.

• Locked thread