Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Does Ant-Man have a villain named The Janitor whose superpower is just sprinkling a little borax?

No, but his arch enemy until he made Ultron was a guy named Egghead...who was just a bald evil genius. Yeah, he doesn't have a great rogue gallery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Waffleman_ posted:

You've never seen American Horror Story, have you? Ryan Murphy does campy horror, not scary horror.

I honestly have to say that I have never seen it. My imagination runs wild when it comes to things within the "horror" genre, so I tend to avoid it if/when I can. But that poster doesn't even seem "campy" to me. v:shobon:v

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sleeveless posted:

The first two seasons were pretty great and creepy, it's just that the acclaim they got went to Murphy's head and every season since then has been a self-indulgent whirlwind of dropped plotlines and recycled characters.

The first two seasons are really good, yeah. loving loved Murder House. Haven't seen Coven, but Freakshow was just a wet fart.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Waffleman_ posted:

The first two seasons are really good, yeah. loving loved Murder House. Haven't seen Coven, but Freakshow was just a wet fart.

Coven was ridiculously bad but it did include minotaur rape, a decapitated head watching Roots, and Stevie Nicks' magical powers.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Coven was at least fun, even if it was bad. I got three episodes into Freak Show and was just loving bored.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Asylum bummed me the gently caress out because they actually bothered to write likeable characters.

Season 1 worked so well because I hated every single motherfucker on the show.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Tate is probably the only fictional character I feel any real emotional hatred towards.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I am irrationally angry right now!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

OH MY loving GOD

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Leslie Mustachen?

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

He'll never know what fist him?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Radio Paranoia posted:

Good god.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Son of a bitch. No. NO.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Mierenneuker posted:

Leslie Mustachen?

Clearly Leslie Randyn

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The most annoying thing about 'Scream Queens' is that Murphy honestly seems to believe he's inventing a new genre called the Comedy-Horror. Like, he legitimately indicated that it had never been done before.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

DrVenkman posted:

The most annoying thing about 'Scream Queens' is that Murphy honestly seems to believe he's inventing a new genre called the Comedy-Horror. Like, he legitimately indicated that it had never been done before.

I can hate on Murphy just as much as other people, but has he actually said something that indicates this?

This reminds me of HBO's Looking. It's about a group of three gay friends and their experiences dating in San Francisco. Somehow, some people got into their head that the producers of the show were looking to create a show to portray the experiences of all queer people, even though the producers never said anything of the sort. And then, guess what. People were LIVID when they didn't see their own experience on the show. Even when the producers tried to address some concerns that some people had by adding some new cast members in the second season, the response of these critics was "Well, that's a start, but you still have not fulfilled your promise." Their promise, that they never actually made...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Radio Paranoia posted:

Leslie Mann? I don't know who that is, just taking a guess.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That movie was released over a year ago.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
"Did you hear about the girls in Bangkok who can shoot ping pong balls out of ther-"
"pfft, those amateurs? check this out..."

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I can hate on Murphy just as much as other people, but has he actually said something that indicates this?

This reminds me of HBO's Looking. It's about a group of three gay friends and their experiences dating in San Francisco. Somehow, some people got into their head that the producers of the show were looking to create a show to portray the experiences of all queer people, even though the producers never said anything of the sort. And then, guess what. People were LIVID when they didn't see their own experience on the show. Even when the producers tried to address some concerns that some people had by adding some new cast members in the second season, the response of these critics was "Well, that's a start, but you still have not fulfilled your promise." Their promise, that they never actually made...

It's from the press release but this article mentions it:

quote:

There are dumb quotes and then there are dumb quotes. Here's a dumb quote:

"We hope to create a whole new genre – comedy-horror.."

That's from the official Fox press release for Scream Queens, the latest anthology series from Ryan Murphy, creator of Glee and American Horror Story. I don't even know what to make of that quote, if only because it seems to spit in the face of Washington Irving, whose The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is seen as the progenitor of the modern comedy-horror story. It also ignores the fact that comedy-horror has been a film genre since at least the 1920s. Some guy named DW Griffith made a funny variation on the 'old dark house' horror story with One Exciting Night. If a murder mystery isn't horror enough for you, how about The Ghost Breaker, a 1922 silent comedy? That's a comedy about ghosts, and if the fact that 1922 version is lost makes you wonder if we should count it, how about the 1940 remake starring Bob Hope?

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2014/10/20/glees-ryan-murphy-thinks-he-just-invented-comedy-horror

I thought that maybe they've just mis-read the press release. So I found the actual quote:

quote:

"We hope to create a whole new genre – comedy-horror – and the idea is for every season to revolve around two female leads. We've already begun a nationwide search for those women, as well as 10 other supporting roles."

So yes, Murphy seems to have no memory of ever seeing the plethora of movies and TV shows that fall under comedy-horror.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

DrVenkman posted:

It's from the press release but this article mentions it:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2014/10/20/glees-ryan-murphy-thinks-he-just-invented-comedy-horror

I thought that maybe they've just mis-read the press release. So I found the actual quote:

So yes, Murphy seems to have no memory of ever seeing the plethora of movies and TV shows that fall under comedy-horror.

Ha! I stand corrected! He's ignoring the fact that this is a whole genre going back decades.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Just to play devil's advocate, maybe he's saying this is comedy-horror as opposed to horror-comedy. As in it's a comedy first and horror second, as opposed to something like Evil Dead 2 which is the other way around? Probably not, and he's probably just an idiot.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Having watched all four seasons of American Horror Story, I can assure you that Ryan Murphy doesn't understand subtle nuance enough to make that distinction.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

Just to play devil's advocate, maybe he's saying this is comedy-horror as opposed to horror-comedy. As in it's a comedy first and horror second, as opposed to something like Evil Dead 2 which is the other way around? Probably not, and he's probably just an idiot.

But Evil Dead 2 absolutely is a comedy first? And even if you disagree with that there's plenty that are.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Maybe he means it'll be the first on TV.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How about that British movie?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I think you're mixing up comedy-horror with horror-comedy.

The difference is clear :colbert:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Noxville posted:

But Evil Dead 2 absolutely is a comedy first? And even if you disagree with that there's plenty that are.

Like I said, just playing devil's advocate. I'd argue the comedy in evil dead 2 stems from the horror stuff being played to ridiculous levels though. Getting hit in the face with a bleeding wall is horror, but they then amp it up to such an exaggerated level that it's funny. I know people who were still scared by Evil Dead 2. Maybe he means that like, this is a show that is clearly not going to scare anyone, as it's a comedy first and the horror stuff is all incidental?

But like I said, probably not.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mister Chief posted:

Maybe he means it'll be the first on TV.

The Walking Dead. :colbert:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The Walking Dead. :colbert:

The Walking Dead is funny now? Or scary? When I stopped watching it was just crushingly boring.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

To be fair, I assumed that's what he actually meant. But he should've really stated that a little better. But even so, the Abbot and Costello movies themselves still qualify.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

TheJoker138 posted:

The Walking Dead is funny now? Or scary? When I stopped watching it was just crushingly boring.

It's a miserable show on so many levels, but the sound design is probably what shits me the most. I get that they filmed out doors, but it is so badly mixed.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Spazzle posted:

I think you're mixing up comedy-horror with horror-comedy.

The difference is clear :colbert:

Yeah, its like do you wanna listen to funk rock, or funk ROCK?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Ryan Murphy is terrible, and the increasingly weak justifications for his characters doing anachronistic karaoke in American Horror Story makes me loving gag. Jessica Lange doing a Bowie song in 1952? Okay, fine. Evan Peters doing Nirvana with big fuckoff plastic hands? No.

I hope this is fan made but I found it on a few different websites accompanied by official interviews.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 30, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The face on the left looks less human than the face on the right.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Firstborn posted:

Ryan Murphy is terrible, and the increasingly weak justifications for his characters doing anachronistic karaoke in American Horror Story makes me loving gag. Jessica Lange doing a Bowie song in 1952? Okay, fine. Evan Peters doing Nirvana with big fuckoff plastic hands? No.

Yeah that poo poo is one of the reasons I quit watching. He turned AHS into Glee at some point.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ryan Murphy's OTHER project coming out soon is American Crime Story, where every season is a different true crime, But Silly. First up is the OJ trial, starring Cuba Gooding Jr. and John Travolta.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Spoiler: Cuba Gooding Jr. sings a Lana Del Ray song.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Radio Paranoia posted:

This poster is .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Modus Pwnens posted:

This poster is .