Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So Kung Fury came out today, and the only negative I can think of is that it isn't longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I can think of several negatives, not least among which is the joke they stole from danger 5 (your second gif).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wayfinder posted:

I can think of several negatives, not least among which is the joke they stole from danger 5 (your second gif).

Close the forums, a jokes been done before.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ludicro posted:

So Kung Fury came out today, and the only negative I can think of is that it isn't longer.

Yeah what the gently caress, they had an entire Kickstarter and then what they deliver is basically an Adult Swim short. Not that it isn't brilliant, it's just not a "movie".

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Star Citizen also had a Kickstarter.... :shepface:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah what the gently caress, they had an entire Kickstarter and then what they deliver is basically an Adult Swim short. Not that it isn't brilliant, it's just not a "movie".

To be fair they were upfront with the 30 minute run time when it didn't hit the feature film goal amount, and when you consider it's practically all green screen and CGI it's obvious where they spent all the money. Very good CGI too.

Plus you have to ask yourself if the jokes and homages would wear out their welcome if it was much longer. no they wouldn't

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ludicro posted:

To be fair they were upfront with the 30 minute run time when it didn't hit the feature film goal amount, and when you consider it's practically all green screen and CGI it's obvious where they spent all the money. Very good CGI too.

Yeah I mean it looks great and it's pretty funny, but the movie is basically just "all that poo poo you already saw in the trailer except the scenes are a little bit longer". But it's free and it's cool that they got to make it so I won't complain too bad.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I dont know the context of this http://i.imgur.com/dScGIh8.gifv

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Basticle posted:

Scarf posted:

Redneck gets headbutted by a motorcyclist wearing a helmet after almost running over one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dONyv-Cwkoo

Supposedly they riders had been speeding by this guy's house at high speeds. So yeah, instead of calling the police to report them, he hunts them down in a truck with his loving KIDS watching.

From the Schadenfreude thread

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Basticle posted:

Shitheads versus shitheads, basically.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

I have never been this turned on in my life.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah I mean it looks great and it's pretty funny, but the movie is basically just "all that poo poo you already saw in the trailer except the scenes are a little bit longer". But it's free and it's cool that they got to make it so I won't complain too bad.
I hadn't seen the trailer so it was all pretty fresh to me. Writing could be better (it's trying to be this mix of Naked Gun, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace and Axe Cop without really having the chops to pull off one of them) but drat if the visuals and music weren't spot on and it has a lot of great moments.

Main actor seems to be trying to take the piss out of the Batman voice but ends up sounding exactly like Peter Serafinowicz in Black Books.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

My Lovely Horse posted:

I hadn't seen the trailer so it was all pretty fresh to me. Writing could be better (it's trying to be this mix of Naked Gun, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace and Axe Cop without really having the chops to pull off one of them) but drat if the visuals and music weren't spot on and it has a lot of great moments.

Main actor seems to be trying to take the piss out of the Batman voice but ends up sounding exactly like Peter Serafinowicz in Black Books.

I felt that the iffy writing and acting in places fit in with the whole 80s theme, the only thing that did raise an eyebrow at times were the odd accents. I also didn't realise that the guy who plays Hitler is one of the people from the Lonely Island.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
The Kung Fury guys didn't get the full feature money but they have been contacted by producers about making one. It might happen.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well hey if they do and the producers get them in contact with a good writer, I'm all over that. I was thinking, it's fun but it feels a bit like some crafty special effects guys, designers and composers got together and got their demo reel kickstarted.

It's always gonna be hard to distinguish between "bad writing because emulating an 80s movie" and "bad writing because no idea how to set a scene, resolve a situation etc."; I think there's both going on, but the trouble is, most of the bad writing that's supposed to be bad is just generic stock phrases, like the conversation with the chief at the start. It's very "80s" but also boring to watch because you know the dialogue before anyone says it, and there's nothing new to break it up. Like, when a show like Darkplace (which you should watch if you're into this whole faux-80s low budget thing, it's brilliant) does that scene, it's funny because a) there's Richard Ayoade acting incredibly badly and b) they're doing the whole "chief of police vs. rogue detectives" thing in a hospital setting.

Or apart from the dialogue there's the fact that they introduce the viking age girls and then plainly have no idea what to do with them now that they checked "viking girls" off their list of 80s cliches.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Kung fury was bad

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's an article about the production of it also gently caress you joyless goons.

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

~*ºFlavour Townº*~

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

More here...

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

King Vidiot posted:

they had an entire Kickstarter

Given kickstarter's track record with nerdbait projects like this it is amazing it got made instead of them running off with the money.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
FYI: Facebook now lets you link animated gifs and have them play in the newsfeed. Limited to desktop for now.

In unrelated observations, hey, would ya look at this interesting image

cobalt impurity posted:

~*ºFlavour Townº*~

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Watch Kung Fury.

Ra Ra Rasputin has a new favorite as of 02:18 on May 30, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I'm not sure what is going on in either of these gifs.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

I'm pretty sure the second one is a girl doing a flying armbar. Which is pretty impressive

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

VendaGoat posted:

fetish1.gif

fetish2.gif

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I'm pretty sure the second one is a girl doing a flying armbar. Which is pretty impressive

Genki Sudo wannabe more like

Azhais has a new favorite as of 03:40 on May 30, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

same

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Thanks mr skertar

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Azhais posted:

Genki Sudo wannabe more like

I don't know man, sometimes you can win out on style points and the girl's was much more visibly striking.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I don't know man, sometimes you can win out on style points and the girl's was much more visibly striking.

Well that cause the girl's was choreographed between her and the guy. The flying leg locked was done during a actual match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ElBrak posted:

Well that cause the girl's was choreographed between her and the guy. The flying leg locked was done during a actual match.

I figured the first one was in a tournament too. It's less impressive now, still impressive though.