Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
If anything there should be a Death/Black Metal thread. I can relate to Airbourne, AC/DC and Deep Purple much more than to Craddle of Filth or Cannibal Corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
That thread would consist almost entirely of people arguing whether band X is "really" death/black metal.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Furism posted:

If anything there should be a Death/Black Metal thread. I can relate to Airbourne, AC/DC and Deep Purple much more than to Craddle of Filth or Cannibal Corpse.

We have a black metal thread and half the time discussion just happens here anyway because it's all the same people as this thread.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Furism posted:

I didn't know that this thread was supposed to specifically cater to you. I'm glad that we cleared this up.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
How about from now on all threads will be about Ghost, a pretty good band making fun music.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm just glad this thread isn't like the prog rock thread where 99% of the discussion is about bands that haven't been relevant for 40 years

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nordick posted:

So what do you guys think, would a "Not Quite Metal Thread" be called for?

If we got rid of all the gay prog and power metal stuff we'd lose 75% of the thread.

e: this has come up before and basically there's enough of an overlap in tastes that the thread can accommodate just about anything

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 30, 2015

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

I'm just glad Devin talk got relegated to its own thread so this thread can be free of the insufferable turd

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Can somebody explain the hatred for Devin Townsend? I don't know that much about him, but it seems like there are some pretty strong feelings about him being cunty

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

funeral fag posted:

I'm just glad Devin talk got relegated to its own thread so this thread can be free of the insufferable turd

I also don't care for his music

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

comes along bort posted:

If we got rid of all the gay prog and power metal stuff we'd lose 75% of the thread.
I wasn't talking about power metal or whatever else is at the lighter end of the metal spectrum. I don't think different subgenres of metal should have their own threads, and I said as much the last time someone suggested a power metal thread. I meant stuff that's just outside the spectrum, like AOR and classic rock and the likes.

comes along bort posted:

e: this has come up before and basically there's enough of an overlap in tastes that the thread can accommodate just about anything
Sure there would be overlap, but there's also a lot of space outside that overlapping zone. I figured it might give some breathing room for the dad rockers who just wanna gush about Journey or whatever and for whom power metal is the absolute heaviest they can stand.
Personally I'm fine either way since I'll gladly listen to Bolt Thrower and Brother Firetribe back to back, so hey whatever. If the general consensus finds it unnecessary, then unnecessary it is.

funeral fag posted:

I don't have anything against Devin himself, but otherwise I have to agree.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Trees and Squids posted:

I'm just glad this thread isn't like the prog rock thread where 99% of the discussion is about bands that haven't been relevant for 40 years

To be fair, that's pretty much prog in a nutshell.

The other 1% is arguing over whether Steven Wilson's newest album is good or not.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

Can somebody explain the hatred for Devin Townsend? I don't know that much about him, but it seems like there are some pretty strong feelings about him being cunty

I think people wouldn't mind Devin so much if he didn't have an obnoxious fanbase that thinks he's the biggest creative genius in music history when the man has barely even written an actual riff in his life.

That said, I enjoy Strapping Young Lad and think Addicted is a fun album.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Devin isn't a "genius" but he's a master of simplicity in a world of overthinking and overplaying. It's fascinating to hear him talk about guitar playing and songwriting and he seems like the goofiest nicest dude. I've never been into most of his discography but hating him is silly.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Non Serviam posted:

It's because he is Canadian and we hate Canada.

Except for Rush, 3 Inches of Blood, Anvil, Blackguard, and a bunch of other bands from the great white north.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Turk February posted:

I didn't know that this thread was supposed to specifically cater to you. I'm glad that we cleared this up.

Well I can only speak for myself so what's what I did.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Non Serviam posted:

He makes bad music which seems to attract the worst fans ever.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

how can you not like this?

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Oh god what have I done

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I quite liked that one live video of his where he had the moshpit do a huge group hug.

Also SYL's Oh My loving God is a fun song.

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

"There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."
New Ghost song has leaked, it sounds totally different to their usual sound.

No scooby doo in this song, just heavy riffs and softer piano parts.

TheSteelCurtain fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 30, 2015

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hello yes we of the Metal thread don't care for Ghost or Devin Townsend, so we're going to talk about Ghost and Devin Townsend.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You only need two metal threads, one for songs where you need a text file to figure out the lyrics, and the other for songs that you don't.

Everything else is just nitpicking.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
the joss whedon of metal

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Vulture Culture posted:

the joss whedon of metal

perfect

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Devin is God. There is nobody else that sounds like Devy. I love it that even though he'll do super serious, complicated metal, a lot of the time he'll be singing about absolute nonsense things and loving around. It's great to hear metal that isn't 100% dead loving serious.

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

"There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."
For the few people who care here, this is the new Ghost song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOrXKiSy8ZY

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Hammer Floyd posted:

It's great to hear metal that isn't 100% dead loving serious.

There's a pretty good amount of metal that has some level of humor, and doesn't need to lean on it to the point of gimmickry.

I have respect for Devin even though I find his music pretty unmemorable and not what I want from prog metal at all. I mean, he's way less odious than Dream Theater or Haken. But goddamn I feel like most Devin fans' hyperbole just shows a lack of exposure to good prog metal.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gamma Nerd posted:

I have respect for Devin even though I find his music pretty unmemorable and not what I want from prog metal at all. I mean, he's way less odious than Dream Theater or Haken. But goddamn I feel like most Devin fans' hyperbole just shows a lack of exposure to good prog metal.

I used to be a gigantic prog nerd and that's why I love Devy. I started to hate prog for wanting to wave how "clever" it is in front of you the whole time. I also hated how seriously it took itself. Then Devin comes along with fart noises and screaming that music is just entertainment and it was perfect.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Voivod and Spastic Ink also don't take themselves seriously, but they don't need fart noises to show how wacky they are.

I guess we have different goals though. I'd rather have the music I listen to try to be profound in some way, rather than have it just be pure entertainment. Most of the time, at least.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

TheSteelCurtain posted:

I like it

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

TheSteelCurtain posted:

This is not the worst thing on earth, so it's better than anything else Ghost has ever done.

For Devy chat, he's entertaining and this video will always have a special place in my heart.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Vulture Culture posted:

the joss whedon of metal

Best analogy ever. Like I don't mind both guys, they do their jobs well but holy poo poo can people be annoying about them.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

First Ghost album is good and I have the finest taste in metal. If there is no more circus stuff I'm looking forward to this new album.

I'm in Greece now and my brothers new wife's cousin was talking about cool bands. He's mostly into regular rock but we got to talking about a festival that was on this weekend and he right away knew and loved Rotting Christ just because they were Greek. I wonder if other bands get that kind of fan base despite their musical style.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Speaking of metal that doesn't take things too seriously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOvZKJlrtk8

That song shouldn't be anything special, but it just somehow has this infectious quality to it and I've been listening to it several times the last couple days. The video is goofy as well and it's just so clear those people are having a loving blast doing their thing. It's all just so sincere in its youthful exuberance. :unsmith:

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
Don't know if it has been mentioned here yet but the new Revolting is out and I think it's really good!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg posted:

First Ghost album is good and I have the finest taste in metal. If there is no more circus stuff I'm looking forward to this new album.

I'm in Greece now and my brothers new wife's cousin was talking about cool bands. He's mostly into regular rock but we got to talking about a festival that was on this weekend and he right away knew and loved Rotting Christ just because they were Greek. I wonder if other bands get that kind of fan base despite their musical style.

Did you introduce him to Septic Flesh?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

TheSteelCurtain posted:

This is the first time I've ever listened to this band... uh, it's okay? I dunno. Not sure why it's such a big deal. Also, I was kinda expecting growls for some reason.

It sounds like the interlude of a BTBAM song stretched out to 6 minutes.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 31, 2015

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Nordick posted:

Speaking of metal that doesn't take things too seriously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOvZKJlrtk8

That song shouldn't be anything special, but it just somehow has this infectious quality to it and I've been listening to it several times the last couple days. The video is goofy as well and it's just so clear those people are having a loving blast doing their thing. It's all just so sincere in its youthful exuberance. :unsmith:

I've been looking for some good power metal with death metal vocals mixed in. Thanks for the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

It doesn't help that the song itself is loving awesome and catchy as hell.