Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Is there any reason to buy both foltest leader cards in white orchard? They are the same card and from what I gathered about gwent, that card is specifically left out of your deck when shuffled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Is there any reason to buy both foltest leader cards in white orchard? They are the same card and from what I gathered about gwent, that card is specifically left out of your deck when shuffled.

It's a different Foltest I believe. All the leader cards have the same name but different titles.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The game's obviously not trying to be Bloodborne, but it (and Witcher 2) does walk a strange line between Arkham/Assassin's Creed/Shadow of Mordor character action and the measured Souls-type combat without fully pulling off what each end of the spectrum does well.

Blocking, parries, circling behind enemies for an advantage, attack spam discouragement, using bombs/potions/magic, these things weren't invented by Souls games but their relatively cautious use is pretty reminiscent of that series so it naturally invites comparisons.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Haroshia posted:

It's a different Foltest I believe. All the leader cards have the same name but different titles.

This. I don't remember if he's one of them, but the leader I love to use' ability doubles the strength of your siege units. Two catapults plus that is 64 power.

You change leaders while in the deck screen by pressing X on xbox, so □ on ps3?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nasgate posted:

This. I don't remember if he's one of them, but the leader I love to use' ability doubles the strength of your siege units. Two catapults plus that is 64 power.

You change leaders while in the deck screen by pressing X on xbox, so □ on ps3?

I think the extra leader you get in white orchard is the one that removes weather effects. He's really good in the early game.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Chrysophylax posted:

In Skellige, the trigger for the sidequest The Cave of Dreams made me sperg out. It only works because of Cutscene Dumb. Spoiler for trigger master witcher Geralt gets knocked to the ground with a single punch during a cutscene like a chump after defeating tons of monsters and humans? Come on, CDPR, I'm sure you could've come up with something better.

The cutscene was petty janky, but the actual event is more at odds with the gameplay than the narrative: Geralt is the guy who once got taken out by a peasant with a pitchfork, after all. Being a veteran Witcher with X number of kills under his belt doesn't make him invincible.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Haroshia posted:

No, they are both the same one I believe I will read their ability closer though and report back. Even so, having a duplicate leader card would be a waste of money correct?

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 30, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The game's obviously not trying to be Bloodborne, but it (and Witcher 2) does walk a strange line between Arkham/Assassin's Creed/Shadow of Mordor character action and the measured Souls-type combat without fully pulling off what each end of the spectrum does well.

Blocking, parries, circling behind enemies for an advantage, attack spam discouragement, using bombs/potions/magic, these things weren't invented by Souls games but their relatively cautious use is pretty reminiscent of that series so it naturally invites comparisons.

Pretty much. I love the game but lets not pretend it's a shock when something very similar to systems that have come before doesn't quite measure up to them.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

No, they are both the same one I believe I will read their ability closer though and report back. Even so, having a duplicate leader card would be a waste of money correct?

The point of leader cards is that you can select one. Yes, they're all called the same but they have different abilities.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

GrossMurpel posted:

The point of leader cards is that you can select one. Yes, they're all called the same but they have different abilities.

Yeah, both the inkeep's card and the one they patched in that Bram (the merchant you save from the griffon and is related to the inkeep) sells are the same card. Same name, same power. Pretty sure they did this because when you finish a part of the game the inkeep no longer sells her cards. I might buy the duplicate unit cards he sells just to have more on hand.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The biggest thing this has in common with a Souls game in my opinion is how you can't lose concentration or get too cocky or even trash mobs will kill you.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Level 27 Griffin straight out of nowhere.

DEAD.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Junkenstein posted:

The biggest thing this has in common with a Souls game in my opinion is how you can't lose concentration or get too cocky or even trash mobs will kill you.

Also those loving Nekkers, they're pretty quick. First time I fought them I felt like I was swinging a tree trunk at them, not a sword.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

WastedJoker posted:

Level 27 Griffin straight out of nowhere.

DEAD.

On the way to the Defender of the Faith quest, right? For something that's supposedly doable at level 11, there sure is a whole lot of really deadly stuff on the road.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Fuckin' Sigi choice in Act 3 I agree with Dietrich 100% but it's bullshit you have to choose who dies there. It seems out of character that he wouldn't have some plan or way to convince them to go along with it. Like it's really dumb he'd bank on winning a hand to hand fight with these veteran soldiers or vs Geralt. No Axii to the rescue to calm the situation for a loving second? God damnit.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

What a brilliant game. Perhaps the first RPG where it's actually worth watching the facial animation during conversation and not just looking at the subtitles.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Dang, so I guess my possible EXP bug fix didn't actually work?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Perestroika posted:

I don't have a map handy, but basically start at the Tetrarch square and head northeast. You'll quickly come into an area that looks a bit run down. Look for a tall, almost tower-like building that's precariously leaning sideways, she lives on the top floor.

Thanks I found her, though she didn't have much to say.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

CVagts posted:

Dang, so I guess my possible EXP bug fix didn't actually work?

They're patching it monday, apparently.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The combat is nothing like the Arkham games or Dark Souls.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Perestroika posted:

On the way to the Defender of the Faith quest, right? For something that's supposedly doable at level 11, there sure is a whole lot of really deadly stuff on the road.

You can outrun the Griffin if he doesn't land directly behind you and makes Roach's fear level shoot up but good loving luck getting through that village at the chokepoitn with level 25 ghouls in it.
And then you circumvent the village and have to fight level 9 guys. I think that's the silliest placement of high-level enemies I've seen all game.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I would put it above some of those games for combat. It doesn't look anywhere near as cinematic as some of those games, but the balance is pretty interesting... it encourages you to stay on your toes and use different abilities, or take damage.

It's the little things like being limited as far as regenerating health while in combat... other games these days will just make you nigh invincible. I like that I actually have to have some clue about what my plan is for a battle or it could go south. That's good design in my opinion.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Varam posted:

The cutscene was petty janky, but the actual event is more at odds with the gameplay than the narrative: Geralt is the guy who once got taken out by a peasant with a pitchfork, after all. Being a veteran Witcher with X number of kills under his belt doesn't make him invincible.

You're right about the narrative. I just think that the narrative must serve the gameplay - my immersion gets broken when stuff like this happens :spergin:

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Yeah, both the inkeep's card and the one they patched in that Bram (the merchant you save from the griffon and is related to the inkeep) sells are the same card. Same name, same power. Pretty sure they did this because when you finish a part of the game the inkeep no longer sells her cards. I might buy the duplicate unit cards he sells just to have more on hand.

3 of those 8 power bond catapult :heysexy:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Krogort posted:

3 of those 8 power bond catapult :heysexy:

Scorch :negative:

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I guess I never really got a good answer to my initial question though which was how leader cards actually work. You pick one for the deck that is taken out immediately correct? I'm still in white orchard and have only played the scholar who teaches it to you.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm constantly impressed with how the game handles light. From house light streaming through windows at night to a sunset reflecting off water. It's just loving amazing and there's always something new to be impressed by around the corner. Here's a picture I took while on the way to wrap up Family Matters:

I can't get enough of this drat game.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 30, 2015

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
I love all the high level enemies mixed in, it makes the world feel dangerous and realer, and it makes me feel powerful when I come back later, all prepared to get them. Kind of like the Midgar Zolom in FF7.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I guess I never really got a good answer to my initial question though which was how leader cards actually work. You pick one for the deck that is taken out immediately correct? I'm still in white orchard and have only played the scholar who teaches it to you.

There's a faction perk (for example, Scoia'tael go first in the first round and the North draws an additional card when they win a round). On top of that, you can play your leader card by clicking it and clicking it again when ti comes up.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

my new dog posted:

i wanna witcher, but i also wanna get xp.. how heavily does the no sidequest xp bug affect little me at level 7

I wasn't affected by the bug at all at that level. You should be fine. The bug really isn't a big deal. I stopped getting xp from main and side quests around when I started the main quests in Novigrad, which seems to be the same time most people start missing xp. Not getting xp from story quests is frustrating, but nothing else, really. The way the game is structured means that it's really, really easy to keep up or outpace story content. Then the late game quests simply shower you with experience (I got four levels for one quest) and don't seem to be affected by the bug. Actually, I'm a little bit glad for the bug, because it means I'm only slightly above the recommended level for main quests rather than 6-7 levels above it. And I got basically no XP for anything but contracts and exploration throughout all of Novigrad and Skellige (I explored only a fraction of the stuff to do in Skellige, as well). I wonder what the game would be like without the bug. The main quests are already much too easy and I can only imagine if I were 4 levels higher, they would be trivial.

GrossMurpel posted:

I remember that time I played a Souls game with spells that take 0.1 seconds to cast and insanely fast sidesteps.

One of the only things this game's combat system does better than the Souls games is to make spells useful as a means of offense that complements melee without being ridiculously overpowered. Sorcery was an absurd win button and a huge crutch in Dark Souls. Miracles and hexes were in early versions of Dark Souls 2 and dark orb still remains an easy way to kill almost anything that isn't a DLC enemy or a boss. That's one major frustration I have with the Souls games, is that almost all attack magic is a simple single target ranged attack, which is extremely hard to balance in a game that's all about melee combat. Magic doesn't feel at all integrated into the main combat system of those games, whereas it's obviously designed to be a crucial part of this game's combat.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Pwnstar posted:

The combat is nothing like the Arkham games or Dark Souls.

No, see those are other popular games and we must compare them to this one because they're all action adventure games or something. Just like that game you like there Deus Ex, is like both Call of Duty and Mass Effect. Despite the game not being really anything like those, we must compare them. The game industry for whatever reason tends to limit it's comparisons within the last 3-5 years because anything older than that is like some ancient game that either made it into video game Valhalla that we can only speak of in legends. The movie industry tends to go the opposite direction which is equally baffling when I read reviews of Guardians of the Galaxy comparing it to Star Wars. Basically whoever does X best sets the bar for anything even closely to similar X to be compared to. I don't really mind this except that reviews always walk in with the assumption that whatever Game Y does that Game X also did, is somehow attempting to ape or is a result of Game X. This is an open world RPG, like Skyrim, therefore The Witcher 3's open world is a result of Skyrim having an open world and being popular. That and hype machines calling game a "game x killer" is why I avoid video game reviews like the plague.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Greenplastic posted:

I love all the high level enemies mixed in, it makes the world feel dangerous and realer, and it makes me feel powerful when I come back later, all prepared to get them. Kind of like the Midgar Zolom in FF7.

I just wish the high level enemies were actually high level because they're powerful. I should never see level 35 bandits or drowners, or level 3 griffons. But lo and behold, later in the game for plot reasons I'm cutting through swathes of level 30 bandits that could each singlehandedly solve the world's problems and probably take on armies alone.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I wonder what the game would be like without the bug. The main quests are already much too easy and I can only imagine if I were 4 levels higher, they would be trivial.

Yeah you get overleveled really quickly.

Vehementi posted:

I just wish the high level enemies were actually high level because they're powerful. I should never see level 35 bandits or drowners, or level 3 griffons. But lo and behold, later in the game for plot reasons I'm cutting through swathes of level 30 bandits that could each singlehandedly solve the world's problems and probably take on armies alone.

I just wish those high level enemies would just be insanely deadly because they kill you in one hit, not because you almost do no damage to them. If at least my 100% burn chance worked I'd be fine :(

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

GrossMurpel posted:

There's a faction perk (for example, Scoia'tael go first in the first round and the North draws an additional card when they win a round). On top of that, you can play your leader card by clicking it and clicking it again when ti comes up.

That's not what I mean; I am asking a really stupid question that I could probably answer myself which is only one leader card goes into your deck when building one. Its not like randomly drawn at the beginning like normal cards, meaning that having a duplicate of the same foltest leader card is useless.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vehementi posted:

Fuckin' Sigi choice in Act 3 I agree with Dietrich 100% but it's bullshit you have to choose who dies there. It seems out of character that he wouldn't have some plan or way to convince them to go along with it. Like it's really dumb he'd bank on winning a hand to hand fight with these veteran soldiers or vs Geralt. No Axii to the rescue to calm the situation for a loving second? God damnit.

Yeah I was disappointed by that bit too. I hope Bart will be OK :ohdear:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
If I tell Triss to stay in Novigrad, can I still back out of her romance later to go with Yen if I decide to?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

That's not what I mean; I am asking a really stupid question that I could probably answer myself which is only one leader card goes into your deck when building one. Its not like randomly drawn at the beginning like normal cards, meaning that having a duplicate of the same foltest leader card is useless.

Yes but only if it's the exact same one (same abiltiy). You pick the leader card beforehand, just like you pick your realm, it's not random.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PaybackJack posted:

That and hype machines calling game a "game x killer" is why I avoid video game reviews like the plague.

Yeah pretty much this.

I did find the Polygon review pretty comical on a couple of levels as well as Arthur Gies' response to the guy behind Vanishing of Ethan Carter disagreeing with him.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 30, 2015

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Anyone know of a journeyman weaponsmith in Velen or Novingard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's no way to just have "foreign" - elven, etc - subtitles on but not for the english is there? I find subtitles distracting but then I get an important cutscene where everyone is talking in an ancient language and don't have any bloody idea what they're on about without reloading.

Vehementi posted:

Or at least drop decent poo poo. That's what's annoying me a huge deal - massive level disparities in otherwise identical mobs with barely any difference in the items and rewards I get. C'mon game if you're going to do an assy job of spreading levels around at least make loot more rewarding.