Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Fruits of the sea posted:

Well that was easy. I vaguely remember deciding to wait on Shadowrun after hearing it needed patching, and lo and behold, now there is even a director's cut of the expansion. Is Shadowrun Returns worth playing first or should I jump straight into Dragonfall?
Dragonfall is a must play game and a huge improvement over Returns, but Returns is still a solid RPG and it introduces you to the gameplay and setting more. Dragonfall just throws you right in considering it started off as DLC, so it expects you to know how to play. Personally I'd say Returns is worth it. If you potentially end up not liking it, just skip to Dragonfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Any recommendations for a good turn-based game? rpg/4x/tactical combat/roguelike or any combination of the above.

I'm waiting for the upcoming updates to Divinity:Original Sin and Wasteland 2 before I finish them, and am at a bit of a loss as to what to try next.

Stuff I have played and enjoyed:
Age of Wonders 3
Endless Legend
X-COM
Jagged Alliance 1.13
Baldur's Gate
Pillars of Eternity
TOME
DCSS

Heroes of Might and Magic forever

Start with 5 (with the expansions) or 2, and then play 3.

http://www.gog.com/game/heroes_of_might_and_magic_5_bundle

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I'd never played a shadowrun game but had no problems with Dragonfall (though I did spec decking, charisma/security, and rifles). If you've played Original Sin and XCom it should feel pretty familiar.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Well that was easy. I vaguely remember deciding to wait on Shadowrun after hearing it needed patching, and lo and behold, now there is even a director's cut of the expansion. Is Shadowrun Returns worth playing first or should I jump straight into Dragonfall?
No need to play them in order. They're completely separate stories, containing only a couple vague allusions to eachother. I like Returns well enough, but Dragonfall is the superior one of the two in almost all aspects.

If you just absolutely fall in love with the stuff and want more, you can grab Returns afterwards. Just keep in mind it's a lot more linear.

But

Accordion Man posted:

Dragonfall is a must play game and a huge improvement over Returns, but Returns is still a solid RPG and it introduces you to the gameplay and setting more. Dragonfall just throws you right in considering it started off as DLC, so it expects you to know how to play. Personally I'd say Returns is worth it. If you potentially end up not liking it, just skip to Dragonfall.
on the other hand this is a fair point as well.

Also if you get a hankering for more XCOM-like stuff, give Xenonauts a look.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Great, I'll dip my toes into Returns and move onto Dragonfall when I decide to respec and start anew, as happens inevitably in every rpg I play.

Really should give Xenonauts a try at some point too. Thanks as well to the person who mentioned HoMM. I've already spent countless hours in HoMM 3, don't think I'll ever get tired of it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I played the Valdis Story demo and I really liked it except for the way boss fights give permanent stat bonuses based on your performance in the fight (I really hate missing out on things forever, enough to keep me from buying the game). Is there a good Metroidvania for PC/PS4 that leans more towards the vania side? I enjoyed Axiom Verge but that's practically Metroid with the numbers filed off, and I want something that's closer to the SotN style of play with gear and levels and stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Great, I'll dip my toes into Returns and move onto Dragonfall when I decide to respec and start anew, as happens inevitably in every rpg I play.

Really should give Xenonauts a try at some point too. Thanks as well to the person who mentioned HoMM. I've already spent countless hours in HoMM 3, don't think I'll ever get tired of it.

Make sure you spec shotgun in Returns. It's a bitch if you don't.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I really like games that have battles with a sort of epic scale to them, like a game set during a war and you can go to the front line and there'll be bullets flying everywhere, artillery shells pounding down around your ears, enemies around most corners, friendlies laying down covering fire, all that kind of stuff. I know a lot of the CoD games have some parts like that but it never seems to last long enough for my tastes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

khy posted:

I really like games that have battles with a sort of epic scale to them, like a game set during a war and you can go to the front line and there'll be bullets flying everywhere, artillery shells pounding down around your ears, enemies around most corners, friendlies laying down covering fire, all that kind of stuff. I know a lot of the CoD games have some parts like that but it never seems to last long enough for my tastes.

CoD 1 is like this all the way through, along with other great WW2 movie tropes. It's literally WW2 movies the videogame. Planetside 2 also does this, alongside the now standalone Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

CoD 1 is like this all the way through, along with other great WW2 movie tropes. It's literally WW2 movies the videogame. Planetside 2 also does this, alongside the now standalone Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2.

Yeah, CoD1 is still my favorite of the series. Is there anything new though that might also fit what I'm interested in?
Planetside 2 is great as well though it's also a bit hit-and-miss. Some battles are amazing and memorable but you never know in advance whether you're about to get into a badass epic fight or if you're going to roll in and the other side'll just give up and move on.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

khy posted:

Yeah, CoD1 is still my favorite of the series. Is there anything new though that might also fit what I'm interested in?

Multiplayer, you have the Project Reality mod for BF2, the Tactical Battlefield mod for Arma 3 and the Red Orchestra series.

Singleplayer wise, the Medal of Hono(u)r games for PS2 got that feeling nailed down. Rising Sun started with Pearl Harbour, and that was an amazing sequence. Most games that really nail that feel though are actually flight sims. Falcon 4.0, Wings over Flanders Fields, IL-2 1946.
Falcon is a fantastic game modelling modern air combat. If you or a wingman ejects, you can find the evac chopper going to rescue that pilot. It's one of the best dynamic campaigns out there, with fighting everywhere.
Wings over Flanders Fields has a constantly active fight in No Man's Land. The gunfire and artillery are rather haunting as you struggle to fly your piddly little biplane.
IL-2 1946 is the best WW2 flight sim. There are so many different planes and theatres, and with mods you can see hundreds of planes flying and bombing ground installments.

Basically, if you want that kind of scale planes are really where its at.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

khy posted:

Planetside 2 is great as well though it's also a bit hit-and-miss. Some battles are amazing and memorable but you never know in advance whether you're about to get into a badass epic fight or if you're going to roll in and the other side'll just give up and move on.

PS2 is definitely hit-and-miss, but if you haven't played in awhile you should check it out again. They've made some changes that really contribute to people wanting to battle over certain areas rather than just give them up and constantly mover around and capture-recapture.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Grump posted:

If I wanted to play a game where I can shoot bad guys online on my PS4, what game would I get?

I was thinking either Battlefield 4 or Hardline, but I hear those games have awful online support and lovely netcode.

Probably not a popular opinion but I actually like CoD:AW. The gear-with-rarity system is kinda weird but doesn't seem to really affect the gameplay much. Strangely enough I've only had good experiences with pubs on PS4, people were weirdly nice to each other in most lobbies I played.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I'm kinda bored to tears here and outta options for games at the moment. I played the hell out of XCOM, FTL, Necrodancer, Don't Starve, Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne and looking for something to fill the void there. Something that is roguelike and has some randomly generated stuff, lots of different things to upgrade and fiddle around with, stuff like that. I've got Invisible Inc but I already know that game is gonna be short as poo poo and I'm looking at something to just kinda toss hours into to screw around with that follows some of the games above.

Any take? I've got some old staple games I enjoy playing but having something else to play around with might be cool. Also have Starbound and Terraria which I totally enjoyed as well.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Servaetes posted:

I'm kinda bored to tears here and outta options for games at the moment. I played the hell out of XCOM, FTL, Necrodancer, Don't Starve, Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne and looking for something to fill the void there. Something that is roguelike and has some randomly generated stuff, lots of different things to upgrade and fiddle around with, stuff like that. I've got Invisible Inc but I already know that game is gonna be short as poo poo and I'm looking at something to just kinda toss hours into to screw around with that follows some of the games above.

Any take? I've got some old staple games I enjoy playing but having something else to play around with might be cool. Also have Starbound and Terraria which I totally enjoyed as well.

Elona+ ? Japanese roguelike with more sandboxy gameplay and an abundance of extra game mechanics to play with. Very grindy, so don't get base Elona, make sure you get Elona+.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Servaetes posted:

Have you tried Darkest Dungeon? It's definitely more toward the XCOM end of the spectrum, being turn-based. The dungeon layouts are randomised, and it certainly has many fiddly bits to upgrade.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Servaetes posted:

Xenonauts is a more roguelike take on XCom. You might like it.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

LLSix posted:

Xenonauts is a more roguelike take on XCom. You might like it.

Xenonauts is just UFO Defense but the soldiers look like janitors. I don't know what you mean by 'more roguelike'.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I'm going to be going on a rather lengthy plane ride soon, and will be taking my laptop along. It's pretty decent as far as hardware goes, and can play Dark Souls reliably. Thing is, I won't be taking a controller along, and I will not have access to my mouse during the plane ride, so I'm stuck with games that use only the keyboard or very limited mouse input. I was thinking of starting a playthrough of either Might & Magic 4 or Dragon Wars, but don't want to limit my options to just RPG's. Anyone got any good games to recommend for this kind of situations? I'm open to pretty much any genre.

Probottt fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 31, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What are some games that can totally screw you and make you lose unexpectedly? I want some Kobayashi-Maru bullshit difficulty spikes, to torment a friend of mine.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Kaizo Mario

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AnonSpore posted:

Kaizo Mario

Eh, that one's hard all the way. I'm looking for something where you're cruising along for a bit, then the RNG suddenly drops an anvil on you.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ToME4.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Chamale posted:

Eh, that one's hard all the way. I'm looking for something where you're cruising along for a bit, then the RNG suddenly drops an anvil on you.

The fan-made 'second expansion' mod to XCOM: Enemy Unknown, XCOM: Long War, has phyrric victories and unwinnable ambushes as a design goal, which is something I haven't seen in many games. But it is also meant for the long haul, to be played over weeks or months, and it requires a big investment in learning the systems of the mod on top of the original XCOM: EU game if they haven't played that already. If they already have XCOM: EU and Enemy Within then I'd say look into Long War, otherwise only if they are a mega nerd for strategy games.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Chamale posted:

What are some games that can totally screw you and make you lose unexpectedly? I want some Kobayashi-Maru bullshit difficulty spikes, to torment a friend of mine.

FTL, Dungeon of the Endless

Every so often there's a bad roll of the dice and you get instagibbed. BUT I'M NOT BITTER

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'll second FTL. Holy poo poo can that game go from smooth sailing to everything falling apart quickly.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I'll second FTL. Holy poo poo can that game go from smooth sailing to everything falling apart quickly.

You know how great it is to get a Weapons Precharger on the Stealth2 ship first jump, you know the one with the Glaive starter? Boom, three sectors insta-clear, huge wealth.

Then, an asteroid field that drills through 3 shields and 40% evade all at once, grinds down the engines and welp

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I own that game and love it, just haven't played in a while. You're right, it's perfect for what I'm looking for. There's getting killed by random encounters, and then there's thinking I'm good at the game when I meet the Rebel Flagship.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

NetHack is fairly notorious for this. If you know what you're doing it's almost always manageable, but even then there's the famous "gnome with the wand of death" that pops up every now and then.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Servaetes posted:

How about sunless sea? That game just ate my whole weekend.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've recently discovered the wonder of gaming on my laptop in bed, but it means I only have a touchpad, no mouse.

So I'm looking for a game that doesn't require precision mouse ability, or quick reflexes.

So far I've been piling time into Hearthstone.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I've recently discovered the wonder of gaming on my laptop in bed, but it means I only have a touchpad, no mouse.

So I'm looking for a game that doesn't require precision mouse ability, or quick reflexes.

How powerful is your laptop?

Heroes of Might and Magic, Civilization, Age of Wonders 3, Divinity: Original Sin (good turn-based games :cheeky:)

Duels of the Plainswalkers is a videogame Magic The Gathering if you want more just like Hearthstone, it doesn't require you to buy booster packs like Magic The Gathering Online since its more single player focused.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

How powerful is your laptop?

Heroes of Might and Magic, Civilization, Age of Wonders 3, Divinity: Original Sin (good turn-based games :cheeky:)

Duels of the Plainswalkers is a videogame Magic The Gathering if you want more just like Hearthstone, it doesn't require you to buy booster packs like Magic The Gathering Online since its more single player focused.

Decently powerful. Can run GTAV at 720p at medium at 30fps.

Divinity: Original Sin looks pretty decent, and seems to have largely positive reviews.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Just get a cheap wireless mouse, I have a holster on the side of my bed for my electronics, and I just pop the receiver in when I get into bed.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Just get a cheap wireless mouse, I have a holster on the side of my bed for my electronics, and I just pop the receiver in when I get into bed.

What would I use the mouse on? Needs a hard surface.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I use my optical mouse on just my covers all the time, works totally fine.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Not unless you're still using a 20 year old trackball mouse.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

http://amzn.com/B00005T406

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

just use it on the actual sheets, it works really well.

almost as good as a mousepad, wayyy better than wood or marble, slightly better than plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I just got a cheapass plastic kitchen cutting board and put a mouse pad on top