Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Srice posted:

Yeah that's entirely possible.

It kinda reminds me how for a time there were people that were being super loving coy about Madoka's premise.

to be fair madoka is best enjoyed going in knowing "it's real good, stick with it for 3 episodes at least"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jagchosis posted:

to be fair madoka is best enjoyed going in knowing "it's real good, stick with it for 3 episodes at least"

Yah, though there's a big difference between going "This is good, just trust me on this and give it a chance" and "This is just an innocent heartwarming show tee hee hee", and I remember for the longest time that original thread had a ton of people doing the latter.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I wasn't posting on Something Awful at the time, but I recall a ton of people doing the same on other sites as well.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Between Killua and Kurapika, I can't tell which one is supposed to be edgier.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
The portion of the story covered by the attack on Titan anime is alright. The plot afterwords devolves into the boring/is this really happening territory. So far the funniest thing in the manga has been that Asians for some reason can't be controlled by the royal family.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jagchosis posted:

i watched 5 episodes and i cant understand how anyone can enjoy that poo poo

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Worst Girl posted:

It's Gon.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Srice posted:

Yah, though there's a big difference between going "This is good, just trust me on this and give it a chance" and "This is just an innocent heartwarming show tee hee hee", and I remember for the longest time that original thread had a ton of people doing the latter.

i kinda wonder what it was like for people going in hoping for derivative moe horseshit. i mean the trailer is amazing in that regard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CTHwEZK2JA

PotU posted:

cos it's fuckin awesome, that's how

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

serebralassazin posted:

The portion of the story covered by the attack on Titan anime is alright. The plot afterwords devolves into the boring/is this really happening territory. So far the funniest thing in the manga has been that Asians for some reason can't be controlled by the royal family.

does the manga reveal that mikasa isn't the last japanese person on earth

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Worst Girl posted:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jagchosis posted:

i kinda wonder what it was like for people going in hoping for derivative moe horseshit. i mean the trailer is amazing in that regard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CTHwEZK2JA

cos it's fuckin awesome, that's how

The people who were initially excited (or at least around here) were fans of Urobuchi, so they were being coy about it even before the first episode despite having a p good idea that it wasn't gonna be like that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PotU posted:

Because it's good.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Srice posted:

The people who were initially excited (or at least around here) were fans of Urobuchi, so they were being coy about it even before the first episode despite having a p good idea that it wasn't gonna be like that.

He had only done fate/zero and saya no uta at that point right?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Allarion posted:

He had only done fate/zero and saya no uta at that point right?

I don't know much about VN stuff but I wanna say he had a few other things under his belt?

Regardless the latter seemed to be the main reason why people were hyping it, if I'm remembering right.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He'd also written an Equilibrium doujin VN

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Jagchosis posted:

does the manga reveal that mikasa isn't the last japanese person on earth

There are other Asian people. There are at least two other people and I am remembering correctly they are also from the Ackerman family.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

He'd also written an Equilibrium doujin VN

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Srice posted:

I don't know much about VN stuff but I wanna say he had a few other things under his belt?

Regardless the latter seemed to be the main reason why people were hyping it, if I'm remembering right.

I only found out about Madoka after the fact so was curious how many people actually knew about Urobuchi, given what he had done was pretty niche. Then again, we did have a visual novel thread at that point.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Akame Ga Kill is coming to toonami?

gently caress yes! Maybe we will get an AkG 2?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i suppose it's right at home with SAO and AoT.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Akame Ga Kill is coming to toonami?

gently caress yes! Maybe we will get an AkG 2?

Speaking of series with an undeserved reputation of being a meatgrinder...

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

GorfZaplen posted:

Speaking of series with an undeserved reputation of being a meatgrinder...

AkG would have been so much better if it focused on Akame instead of tatsumi

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

AkG would never have been a good series lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think keeping Braht alive would've helped, also making alterna-Tatsumi the protagonist

a season two would be both terrible and censored to hell though

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

dogsicle posted:

i think keeping Braht alive would've helped, also making alterna-Tatsumi the protagonist

a season two would be both terrible and censored to hell though

I'd watch it if it focused on Akame, and the founding of night raid.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Was there ever any doubt about what Madoka was going to be

Like, it's pretty obvious basically immediately that THIS AINT YOUR LITTLE SISTER'S MAGICAL GIRL SHOW, Mami's death is not especially surprising or shocking

I don't know, maybe I had just known that it was being made by the Saya no Uta guy and I knew what that was about, so

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd never heard of or ever seen anything by Urobuchi before watching Madoka and based on Shaft's other stuff I'd seen before then (pretty much Hidamari Sketch and nothing else) it was kinda out of the blue for me.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I hope Jojo ends up on Toonami even though I don't get that channel here :canada: :argh:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

Was there ever any doubt about what Madoka was going to be

Like, it's pretty obvious basically immediately that THIS AINT YOUR LITTLE SISTER'S MAGICAL GIRL SHOW, Mami's death is not especially surprising or shocking

I don't know, maybe I had just known that it was being made by the Saya no Uta guy and I knew what that was about, so

I think even the first episode was heavily implying a dark tone even though nothing bad happens right away.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I had heard that Madoka was a lot like Kamen Rider Ryuuki before I watched, so I knew what to expect going in.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi crayon shin chanime chat thread 3

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Madoka Magica is full of nothing but good times.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Speaking of Madoka,

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Srice posted:

I think even the first episode was heavily implying a dark tone even though nothing bad happens right away.

The choppy cutout Terry Gilliam animation definitely suggested as much for me, and was what got me hooked initially.

littleorv posted:

I hope Jojo ends up on Toonami even though I don't get that channel here :canada: :argh:

I am eternally puzzled why Jojo isn't insanely popular and officially licensed in America, it's the perfect storm of American anime popularity

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Ugh the prongs that you plug into the wall are bent on my PS4 for some reason. No PS4 gaming for me tonight.

Sorry I forgot this is the anime chat thread so I'll anime up my statement there.

Uguu the prongs that you plug into the wall are bent on my PS4 for some reason. No PS4 gaming for me tonight.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

why don't you just bend them back

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

littleorv posted:

Ugh the prongs that you plug into the wall are bent on my PS4 for some reason. No PS4 gaming for me tonight.

Sorry I forgot this is the anime chat thread so I'll anime up my statement there.

Uguu the prongs that you plug into the wall are bent on my PS4 for some reason. No PS4 gaming for me tonight.

You can just bend them back, you know

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Uguu I didn't know that. I'll go try that right now

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jagchosis posted:

I am eternally puzzled why Jojo isn't insanely popular and officially licensed in America, it's the perfect storm of American anime popularity
It's actually been licensed for awhile now, though it took the advent of the anime to put it on the map. VIZ Media put out Part 3 from 2005 to 2010 (skipping Parts 1 and 2) before declaring their run of it over, meaning it was likely unprofitable.

There are actually several reasons behind Jojo's previous lack of popularity and success State-side, but I gotta get gone someplace so you'll need to take a rain check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Strange Quark posted:

Speaking of Madoka,

Are all the pink squids is Splatoon swarthy.

• Locked thread