Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

From a few pages back but the tuft of hair on Clem's mom has made me batshit since I was like 8 and old enough to be critical of newspaper comics. I understand it as an artistic convention to show how a child's hair might be kind of unruly but on his mom it makes no sense to me. gently caress that strip. gently caress so many strips in this thread (even though I still read them). I keep meaning to write to my local paper and have some of this poo poo removed so younger cartoonists have half a loving chance of making it.

Death to zombie strips.

Edit: sorry about the worst page snipe ever. The sentiment remains.

coronatae fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Coach Sport posted:

You know, its kind of hosed up the Phantom has this whole jungle tribe of people he deceives into thinking he's a walking immortal and serving him.

It doesn't necessarily make the situation any better, but my understanding is that the Bandar are entirely aware the Phantom is mortal. They just call him "ghost" as a title.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah, the Bandar are the ones who found the first Walker and guided him to the Skull Cave, so they know perfectly well he's just some dude.

They don't serve the Phantom so much as they've spent 400 years living right next to a badass vigilante bounty hunter family that protects and helps them out with anything they want, especially maintaining their traditional lands, and their chief happens to be a childhood friend of the current Phantom, so they're usually pretty okay with getting him back to bed after a snake-bender or doing some sweeping up of his extensive treasure cave network.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Harry's upside down in the middle panel.

"I've just read a book" is pretty thin for a premise

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Every single strip Epstein does is just "here's one of my political beliefs:" with maybe the barest hint of a joke if we're lucky.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

"Let's see... 'Fey' rhymes with 'Grey', '50 Shades of Grey' is a book, and Tina Fey is a person... you've done it again, Dan!"
/

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Every single strip Epstein does is just "here's one of my political beliefs:" with maybe the barest hint of a joke if we're lucky.

Epstien too.

I'd be happier if it was two chix rather than six. There's a lot of dead weight on that strip.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Skippy would commiserate, but he's not really into the publishing racket. (March 31, 1928)

Peanuts has some advice for dealing with disappointment. (June 1, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean, as usual, is no help at all.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (April 4-5, 1927)

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

9 Chickweed Lane 5/30/2004

Well executed fight-picking, you bitter old bitch.

Zits

Which, from a teenage male standpoint, is the perfect prom dress. You should wear a duct tape tux, Jeremy.

Kevin & Kell

Since when is the truth off limits?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Helicity posted:

"Let's see... 'Fey' rhymes with 'Grey', '50 Shades of Grey' is a book, and Tina Fey is a person... you've done it again, Dan!"
/

It's a little more complicated than that, in that it's not rhymes but swaps.

It's still stupid.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Secret Agent X-9 Catch Up

...bringing us to this past Monday. Almost caught up! I still have no idea what's going on or who these people are, but sereal strips often take a little time to wade into. I'm sure it will all come together. :)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Mr. Gibson is just cheating now.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Coach Sport posted:

Does the Phantom actually help out the Bandar? I'm not familiar with the comics but from this thread it seems like he mostly pisses off international terrorists and crime syndicates and then hides out with them. Doesn't exactly seem like a fair way to treat an apparently isolationist tribe.

A couple of plot lines ago there was some logging company loving with the Bandar.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set reaches a milestone.

Working Daze induces marital strife.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix makes me giggle.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Epstien too.

I'd be happier if it was two chix rather than six. There's a lot of dead weight on that strip.

You know, it wasn't until this post that I realized Gibbons and Epstein are two different people.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

edit: a critique of Piraro's "jokes" is not worth pursuing

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 30, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He swapped around the F, the Sh and the Gr. That is the joke/pun/whatever.

Hamagic
Jul 2, 2008
Mike du Jour

Those box vapes i see are usually used for weed and weed like substances. It's the big wizard looking ones that are used with vale juice

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Man, it's been a while since Phil Fumble or Fritzi has showed up in Nancy. Did Gilchrist decide he couldn't fit them into his muppet nostalgia-based jokes or what

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Phil's chin grew so large, it supplanted the earth. He has been in every strip.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

DoubleDonut posted:

Man, it's been a while since Phil Fumble or Fritzi has showed up in Nancy. Did Gilchrist decide he couldn't fit them into his muppet nostalgia-based jokes or what

Be patient -- I'm sure we'll be seeing B B King branded across Fritzi's tits any day now.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Ms Boods posted:

Be patient -- I'm sure we'll be seeing B B King branded across Fritzi's titzis any day now.

Come on man, get with the program.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Once it's been long enough that we've presumably forgotten what Phil looks like, he'll return as a seven-foot-tall bodybuilder with a Rip Haywire chin.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Rand Brittain posted:

Once it's been long enough that we've presumably forgotten what Phil looks like, he'll return as a seven-foot-tall bodybuilder with a Rip Haywire chin.
And also a country music singer complete with cowboy hat and guitar, probably, since I'm sure Gilchrist will not stop until Phil is everything he adores. :rolleyes::fh:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

He's gonna float in in the lotus pose if the latest strips are any indication for Gilchrist's current spiritual direction.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Pfft. It's not like she's spending her own money.

9 Chickweed Lane

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann, After Dark

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Secret Agent X-9

And that brings us up to date! Johnny Walker, it's all yours if you still want it. :)

This is getting serious!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I'm hoping the whole thing with the psychiatrist is a fake out just so he can call Peter an rear end in a top hat for spying on sessions and completely misinterpreting them.

E:vvv. I meant I'm hoping the psychiatrist isn't the hobgoblin and it's just some random mofo

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 30, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the psychologist is the Hobgoblin

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

greatn posted:

I think the psychologist is the Hobgoblin

I think that's pretty much a given.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

I swear Adam has a room all set up to keep her corpse just in case it comes to that.

Rex Morgan MD

"Drunk again!"

Thanks for doing the catchup! I think it's hard to follow what's going on because they started this rerun from about 2 years into the original run for some reason, so we're way beyond the "getting to know the main characters" phase. So far the only thing I've gotten is Dashiell Hammett and/or Alex Raymond had a thing for showing guys carrying other guys away from recent accidents.

I'll try to start keeping up with it next week. It seems Hammett and Raymond should be a good team so I hope it'll get more interesting.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann, After Dark

How does Luann get away with this when Funky Winkerbean got a barrage of letters over a zoomed out window?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh, i was assuming that was an edit.

And she has the temerity to loving imply poo poo about what's her face and nerd guy to her face and again behind her back? What a bitch.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Suicide - or a MURDER?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Bleeker

It would still be drooping down if you tied it to a flattened coat hanger.

Owned.

Karl is definitely on the right track. Just take all their jobs first and then human society will collapse.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Jesus, I lose track of Inspector Danger for a couple of days, and this happens?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann, After Dark

Literally the same day that she and Quill were making GBS threads on Gunther and Tiffany for maybe fooling around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
And now, all the Pogo that was going to go up this week. (May 28-June 1, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Two (August 17, 1952)

• Locked thread