Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mr E posted:

I dunno, him saying "I made it" while using other people's music is pretty normal for lovely EDM.
It's also pretty standard for Skyrim modders in general what with them going "I made a new armour! :downs:" and then proudly presenting a lovely reskin of a vanilla armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I remember back when Skyrim was just being released, someone "made" a Skyrim dubstep remix which was just the trailer theme stuck through a lovely tinny filter.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Raygereio posted:

It's also pretty standard for Skyrim modders in general what with them going "I made a new armour! :downs:" and then proudly presenting a lovely reskin of a vanilla armour.

Also directly importing armor and meshes from other games and slapping a "DO NOT STEAL OR USE WITHOUT PERMISSION, MINE ONLY" on it lol

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Dongattack posted:

Also directly importing armor and meshes from other games and slapping a "DO NOT STEAL OR USE WITHOUT PERMISSION, MINE ONLY" on it lol

B-Team is the only mod which I've made clear can't be redistributed outside the Nexus, but I did that solely as a courtesy for the other authors whose stuff was included in it, and especially in light of the paid modding fiasco, everyone is probably on the defensive in terms of not wanting free mods being packaged up and sold elsewhere

you're probably right in that a lot of the times the re-used meshes and textures from other games are just being squatted on by the people who are importing them but I'd still prefer to give the benefit of the doubt first

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Trying to get back into skyrim but whenever I open it up the game is windowed mode and I have no idea how to restore it to full screen mode. So what do I do to restore the game window to the proper default?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Run the Skyrim Launcher or edit the .ini directly.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Dongattack posted:

Hahaha, the loving Nexus. Went there to check out whats new and i see "Improved Combat Music" as one of the top files.

"Hello! My name is Skorcorks and i am a EDM producer. I love skyrim and its atmosphere, but i always felt like the vanilla skyrim combat music did not have enough power and i never really felt excited when fighting strong creatures. So, i improved all the combat soundtracks in Skyrim. Do not worry, they will not be lore unfriendly, since it is just an improvement trying to make gameplay more immersive and exciting. All things added are made by me. Nothing premade :) "

And it's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAZWdeBrrKs

He added 99% MORE ELECTRONIC DRUMS and put in snippets from the Lindsey Stirling Skyrim song without any mention of original artists, only "i made it :)" and the :nexus: are like "MORE, GIVE ME MORE OF THIS". I love the modding community sometimes.

It sounds like every lovely "epic" piece of music where you just heap more and more sound pollution poo poo onto poorly composed music.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

It sounds like every lovely "epic" piece of music where you just heap more and more sound pollution poo poo onto poorly composed music.

In fairness, kid looks like he's about the right age to find that sort of stuff super-cool.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
i want a mod that uses that music but only when you're fighting skeevers and mudcrabs

also the mod replaces all enemies with skeevers and mudcrabs

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Ernie Muppari posted:

i want a mod that uses that music but only when you're fighting skeevers and mudcrabs

also the mod replaces all enemies with skeevers and mudcrabs

*with tits

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

scamtank posted:

When I hear "EDM" I don't immediately think "quad bass drums".

Yeah that's usually IDM

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I have B-Team installed and Olfina cowers in fear whenever I get into a fight.

For a strong Nord woman she seems to let Sinmir and I do all the heavy work.

Is her cowardice intended?

If it helps, here's my load order

quote:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
EFFCore.esm
SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators.esm
SCOOverhaul.esm
Sleeved Guards Winter Overhaul.esm
Cutting Room Floor.esp
Uncle Sheo.esp
The Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.esp
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
Skyrim Knights.esp
UIExtensions.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
Playable Skeletons V1.03.esp
Nordic Adventurer's Armor.esp
ElementalFuryFix.esp
Real Wildlife Skyrim 0.1.esp
SCOHearthfire.esp
FloraRespawnFix.esp
EFFDialogue.esp
Brawl Bugs CE.esp
NPC Knockout Overhaul.esp
JiubQuestMarkers.esp
SkyUI.esp
Dual Sheath Redux.esp
YsgramorNordicArmourv1.1.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures.esp
EliteKnightArmor.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
skyforgedWeapons.esp
High Level Enemies.esp
High Level Enemies - Dawnguard.esp
Helgen Reborn.esp
NordicCooking.esp
OBIS.esp
OBISDB.esp
Civil War Overhaul.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
PrvtI_HeavyArmory.esp
Armour_of_Yngol.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures - DLC2.esp
Animallica.esp
High Level Enemies - Dragonborn.esp
Holidays.esp
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
LeftHandRings - Dawnguard.esp
Civil War Repairs.esp
The B-Team.esp
JanusForbeare's Fighting Words.esp
LeftHandRings.esp
Cloaks.esp
ResearchThief.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
BecomeKingofSkyrim.esp
AAA_FyTy_XFL_Voicetype_Extension.esp
QaxeWinterholdRebuild.esp
Immersive Patrols II.esp
PrvtI_HeavyArmory_DG_Addon.esp
MiraakFollower.esp
Hideout_DLC_Main.esp
Montures Monstres.esp
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp
1nivWICCloaks.esp
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp
SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators-Dragonborn.esp
CUYC_CleanUpYourCorpses.esp
AesirArmor.esp
SkaalShack.esp
MECR_Classic_Nord_Shields.esp
sheogorath_shout.esp
Actualize Apparel.esp
Unique Uniques.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
tumbamounts.esp
Skytest Animallica.esp
Animallica - Real Wildlife Loot.esp
Sleeved Guards Winter Overhaul.esp
Sleeved Guards.esp
SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators-Dawnguard.esp
SummonsBear.esp
Gildergreen Regrown.esp
Nordic Conqueror Armor.esp
ChickenStaff.esp
TradeRoutes.esp
Upgraded Weapons and Armors.esp
GildedCarvedArmor.esp
ConvenientCrossbows.esp
WKBendTime.esp
Additional Children Clothes.esp
WetandCold.esp
WetandCold - Ashes.esp
When Vampires Attack.esp
_GC_Skaal_Outfit_For_Kids_V2.esp
dD - Easy Lift Bodies and Objects.esp
skyforgedShields.esp
spooky.esp
stlswd.esp
stormcloakbattlearmor.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp
Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp
Automatic Variants.esp

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I have B-Team installed and Olfina cowers in fear whenever I get into a fight.

For a strong Nord woman she seems to let Sinmir and I do all the heavy work.

Is her cowardice intended?

If it helps, here's my load order

Pretty sure I borged everyone's AI to use the standard follower set; did you install B-team before or after starting the save? NPC records can get "baked in" to saves after the NPC is spawned such that mod changes do not affect certain variables (such as AI). You might want to try a console command to manually fix her AI:

code:
setav confidence x
(x being the value to use 2-4; 2 being cautious; still willing to fight but will flee combat with high-level enemies; 4 being suicidally gung-ho and willing to fight anything and everything). I should probably make a widget for B-team at some point that gives you a spell which automagically fixes this, much like the Mind Control spell for EFF which forces NPCs into the follower system.

Aside from that bring up your load order in TES5Edit and see which, if any of the other mods are modifying her record, and if there is, move B-team to load after them. Whatever LOOT says B-team tends to work better near the end of the list because it's primarily modifying vanilla NPC records which a lot of mods alter.

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 27, 2015

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

**and schlongs

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Pretty sure I borged everyone's AI to use the standard follower set; did you install B-team before or after starting the save? NPC records can get "baked in" to saves after the NPC is spawned such that mod changes do not affect certain variables (such as AI). You might want to try a console command to manually fix her AI:

code:
setav confidence x
(x being the value to use 2-4; 2 being cautious; still willing to fight but will flee combat with high-level enemies; 4 being suicidally gung-ho and willing to fight anything and everything). I should probably make a widget for B-team at some point that gives you a spell which automagically fixes this, much like the Mind Control spell for EFF which forces NPCs into the follower system.

Aside from that bring up your load order in TES5Edit and see which, if any of the other mods are modifying her record, and if there is, move B-team to load after them. Whatever LOOT says B-team tends to work better near the end of the list because it's primarily modifying vanilla NPC records which a lot of mods alter.

I installed B-Team in the middle of my save. I'll give that console command a go.

EDIT: Set Olfina's confidence to 4, spawned some bears and she attacked them.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 28, 2015

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Is there any conventional wisdom on why my Skyrim, which worked just fine 4 days ago for several marathon at least an hour without crashing playsessions, would suddenly start crashing to desktop or totally locking up every 2-3 minutes? Because holy poo poo this is aggravating and I've changed nothing since then. I am running a bunch of mods, but it worked great a few days ago.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Dohaeris posted:

Is there any conventional wisdom on why my Skyrim, which worked just fine 4 days ago for several marathon at least an hour without crashing playsessions, would suddenly start crashing to desktop or totally locking up every 2-3 minutes? Because holy poo poo this is aggravating and I've changed nothing since then. I am running a bunch of mods, but it worked great a few days ago.

Have you recently come across content added or altered by a mod that you haven't encountered in the past 4 days?

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

GunnerJ posted:

Have you recently come across content added or altered by a mod that you haven't encountered in the past 4 days?

Not as far as I know. I disabled Fast Travel and was heading down towards Windhelm. I reloaded a few times after an incident with some merchants on the road. It crashed after the third reload, then I managed to get into Windhelm just fine. Once I turned in the White Phial and left the city, all hell broke loose. Is there any kind of crash log?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm a terrible nerd who wants to use dual sheath redux and have my dual swords on my back like Geralt (aka both parallel over the right shoulder), but it does the cross-shoulder X layout by default. How do I become vaguely cool and Witcher-like with two one-handed blades? I tried some options (there are about 4 billion) but I didn't find the right ones I guess!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Does anyone have either of the mods below? They're the last two I need to have everything covered by Skyrim Mod Combiner. (I even managed to find Skyrim Realistic Overhaul again.)

Skyrim HD Environments by RAISERFX
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/21984

Edit: The author gave me a link to this. Nice guy.

Bumpy Inn and Shop Signs v3 by Jenova19
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/4470

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 30, 2015

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Dohaeris posted:

Use a utility like MSI afterburner to track video card memory usage and temperature, see if there are any problems there.

Recent versions of RaceMenu also had a rather nasty CTD problem associated with saves, so upgrade that if you use it.

All else fails, you can run LOOT and/or bust out the SaveTool to resourt your list and nuke unused/bad scripts and see if that helps.

Edit: BTW, LOOT just got a major update. New UI.

Varance fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 29, 2015

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
So what are the best mods for making unarmed combat awesome? Ideally working with SPERG but I really want to play an unarmed build this time around and I want to have fun with it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo I just found out about Enderal, the sequel total conversion mod to Nehrim. loving psyched, these guys are so much better than Bethesda, I never made it more than a few hours into Oblivion but played the gently caress out of Nehrim, even with that terrible engine. Looks like this is going to be their C.V. For becoming a professional studio of sorts, and goddamn they seem to have really upped their game: http://youtu.be/cQog9lkyH8k

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

OSheaman posted:

So what are the best mods for making unarmed combat awesome? Ideally working with SPERG but I really want to play an unarmed build this time around and I want to have fun with it.

I haven't tried this SPERG patch myself, but it does seem interesting.

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014
Can anyone recommend a good/best compilation mod? There are so many, I can't really tell whats good.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

That Ignorant Sap posted:

I haven't tried this SPERG patch myself, but it does seem interesting.

I dunno, it removes Brigand's Brew and Drunken Rage, so you can't get drunk off your rear end and punch Alduin to death. Or at least you won't get bonuses for doing it.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Emong posted:

I dunno, it removes Brigand's Brew and Drunken Rage, so you can't get drunk off your rear end and punch Alduin to death. Or at least you won't get bonuses for doing it.

The true Nord way to play. :black101:

I do think it's pretty cool that guy taught himself by looking at what I did with SPERG. A part of me always hoped somebody would get something like that out of it. :3:

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I'm finally going to play Skyrim for the first time.
Reading through the OP, there is this great list of suggested mods for first timers. Does it still hold up or are there now alternatives to these?
Are there any new ones not in the OP yet?

Scyantific posted:

Goon recommendations for a first timer usually come down to:
-Unofficial Patches
-SkyUI
-Weapons and Armor Fixes
-Clothing & Clutter Fixes
-Even Better Quest Objectives
-Run For Your Lives
-When Vampires Attack
-Better Dialogue Controls
-Better Message Controls
-No Poison Dialogues
-Brawl Bugs Patch
-Timing Is Everything
-The Choice is Yours (so your quest log doesn't clutter up)
-Smart Souls/Aquisitive Soul Gems
-Thieves Guild Requirements (So you don't get roped into the Thieves Guild automatically)
-Bounty Gold (optional)
-Faster Mining
-Guard Dialogue Overhaul (no new dialogue, just makes them use existing stuff correctly)
-Static Mesh Improvement Mod (makes things look worlds better)

I'm also playing with the 3 extension DLCs + the Hi-Res DLC. Do I need to take any special precautions with the above listed mods and the 4 official DLCs, especially the Hi-Res one?

Is it even worth adding the Hi-Res one compared to going all in on some of the texture packs in the OP? And if I want to add a few visual enhancements from the OP, would it be easier to skip the official DLC too?

I'm basically just interested in bug patching, fixing annoyances like the UI/Vampire attacks and have it look decent on a first play through, just like I did with both Oblivion and Morrowind.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

None of the texture replacers are truly complete to my knowledge. The official one will cover for the holes they leave behind.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The CCO Crafting Overhaul is superior to Faster Mining, since it makes the whole crafting system less terrible.

E: I guess CCO stands for CCO Crafting Overhaul.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Fart of Presto posted:

I'm finally going to play Skyrim for the first time.
Reading through the OP, there is this great list of suggested mods for first timers. Does it still hold up or are there now alternatives to these?
Are there any new ones not in the OP yet?

I'm also playing with the 3 extension DLCs + the Hi-Res DLC. Do I need to take any special precautions with the above listed mods and the 4 official DLCs, especially the Hi-Res one?

Is it even worth adding the Hi-Res one compared to going all in on some of the texture packs in the OP? And if I want to add a few visual enhancements from the OP, would it be easier to skip the official DLC too?

I'm basically just interested in bug patching, fixing annoyances like the UI/Vampire attacks and have it look decent on a first play through, just like I did with both Oblivion and Morrowind.

Of the "soul gems" fixes, Smart Souls does not require any plugins and is just an SKSE script so it's preferable to me for that reason.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I've seen some of the torch/water arrow mods for lighting or extinguishing some light sources at range. Are there any overhauls for making more/all the light sources coded as such so they can be lit or extinguished? For example, stupid Delphine lights one of the braziers in Sky Haven Temple, and I always wanted to be able to light them all so I could see where the gently caress I was going.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

mad_Thick posted:

Can anyone recommend a good/best compilation mod? There are so many, I can't really tell whats good.

Depends on what you mean. Weapon compilations? Armor? Clothing? If you just want a bunch of good mods, I'd look into the STEP and GEMS sites. They have pretty good build lists for people who don't want to scour the Nexus.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Varance posted:

Use a utility like MSI afterburner to track video card memory usage and temperature, see if there are any problems there.

Recent versions of RaceMenu also had a rather nasty CTD problem associated with saves, so upgrade that if you use it.

All else fails, you can run LOOT and/or bust out the SaveTool to resourt your list and nuke unused/bad scripts and see if that helps.

Edit: BTW, LOOT just got a major update. New UI.

The SaveTool seems to have worked for the time being at least. Any way to easily tell what caused it since that seemed to work? I'd hate to keep putting more hours into a save that's just going to do that again and be unrecoverable or something.

On a side note I tried starting a new game and after a few moments, the cart flipped over and killed everyone and then my game crashed, which was kinda hilarious. No clue what caused that!

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Script lag is a cause of that iirc, among a few other possible causes(FPS, a mod loving with Helgen, the game just being buggy). It's the reason an alternate start mod is pretty much mandatory with a heavily modded setup.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Zeron posted:

Script lag is a cause of that iirc, among a few other possible causes(FPS, a mod loving with Helgen, the game just being buggy). It's the reason an alternate start mod is pretty much mandatory with a heavily modded setup.

Huh, I remember avoiding the alternate start mods because you couldn't do the main quest or something a long rear end time ago. Why does that reduce the scripting?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
They don't, they just let you skip past the buggy intro :)

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Zeron posted:

They don't, they just let you skip past the buggy intro :)

Ah, I see what you mean.

I'm using mod organizer and it looks like the papyrus scripting thing is already in my .ini. But I'm not sure how to read the logs for crashing.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Dohaeris posted:

Ah, I see what you mean.

I'm using mod organizer and it looks like the papyrus scripting thing is already in my .ini. But I'm not sure how to read the logs for crashing.

The Papyrus logs can be helpful for troubleshooting specific scripts messing up, but they're not crash logs. The scripts that report often or seem like they misfire a bunch aren't necessarily the ones bogging you down: the logging stops before the script error even happens, so you just get some incomplete (albeit occasionally useful) context. You're probably better off investigating which of your mods are particularly script-heavy/incompatible by checking out their Nexus pages or by asking here.

I say this as someone who used to comb through them constantly whenever I had a crash. It rarely helped and led me on quite a few goose chases. :smithicide: You can actually relieve a bit of strain on your processor by disabling logging until you need to run tests with it.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Will save game cleaner mess up couriers? I have cleaned my saves after unistalling script heavy mods a couple of times, and now I'm realizing that most quests that start with getting a letter from a courier never happened. Things like fighting Potemia and becoming a Thane of Falkreach.

I'm just starting them from the console, and that seems to work.

• Locked thread