Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Baloogan posted:

What do you think coffee means in Twin Peaks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8R6XxrYY8Q

It's Dale's undrinkable cup of coffee!

I always saw this scene as a sort of Buddhist realm of Hungry Ghosts/Tantalus's eternal punishment kind of deal.

Although Dale's love of coffee is comedic, he is a bit of a coffee addict, its the gift he yens for every day. In this timeless void of hell he can neither rid himself of the temptation by emptying the cup, nor can he drink it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
I bet it smells like burned oil.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

News:

18 new episodes.

Mr.Badalamenti composing new soundtrack.

AMAZING.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Now all we need is a Deadly Premonition sequel.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

crowoutofcontext posted:

It's Dale's undrinkable cup of coffee!

I always saw this scene as a sort of Buddhist realm of Hungry Ghosts/Tantalus's eternal punishment kind of deal.

Although Dale's love of coffee is comedic, he is a bit of a coffee addict, its the gift he yens for every day. In this timeless void of hell he can neither rid himself of the temptation by emptying the cup, nor can he drink it.

The cursed coffee is how I knew Dale was in a truly malevolent place.

On a somewhat unrelated note:
I don't get why Dale didn't pick up on the giant's warnings for the most part throughout the show. I mean if some big strange looking dude kept appearing and disappearing one would think it would leave something of an impression.

Idk if the giant is supposed to represent some manifestation of his conscious that he chooses not to listen to, or if he's a benevolent force from the white lodge or what his deal is.

pasaluki fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 24, 2015

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I kinda think that the giant was feeding off of Cooper's pain and suffering in the first ep of season 2 during that surrealistic scene with the old bellhop. The giant is a good spirit but he gotta eat too.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I dunno, the giant isn't hanging with the demons in the black lodge in FWWM Think he's a bit different from the other lodge folks.

But yeah, its really hard to tell if the supernatural beings have mortal emotions like guilt and hope or if they are just abstracted forces with no sense of self indipendant fom the people they are connected with.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

crowoutofcontext posted:

News:

18 new episodes.

Mr.Badalamenti composing new soundtrack.

AMAZING.

Badalamenti coming back is very good, but I am a bit worried they'll stretch the material too thin with 18 episodes.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Badalamenti coming back is very good, but I am a bit worried they'll stretch the material too thin with 18 episodes.
As far as I know, the 18 episode thing hasn't been confirmed yet, and even if it was, I'd highly doubt they'd have an 18 episode season. No networks have 18 episode seasons for shows like this. Coincidentally, season 2 episode 10 (18th episode of Twin Peaks) was kind of the "end" of the original series.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

If its 18 episodes written and directed by Lynch, it would be difficult to compare to the OS. He never directed or wrote a "filler" episode.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is lynch the best surrealist of this era?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
25 years later and it turns out the exit to the Lodge was right next to him the entire time t:mad:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Baloogan posted:

Depends when you are counting from. The beginning of his career overlapped with the late stages of Luis Bunuel and Ingmar Bergman's careers, and I'd probably give a slight nod to Bunuel. But counting from mid-80s on, Lynch is more or less alone.

Bergman vs. Bunuel would make for an interesting debate. I love lots of Bergman's films but That Obscure Object of Desire is in my all time top 5.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can Bergman really be called a surrealist? Outside of works like Persona his movies aren't exactly out there.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bown posted:

Can Bergman really be called a surrealist? Outside of works like Persona his movies aren't exactly out there.

He didn't work exclusively in the surrealist realm (but then, neither did Bunuel or Lynch) but given that three of his highest profile works (the afore-mentioned Persona along with Hour of the Wolf and The Seventh Seal) lay at least partially in that genre, I think it's fair to mention him.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jodorowsky maybe?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

He died too young, but Satoshi Kon was a surrealist.

Bown posted:

Persona alone is so hosed up that it might be enough to call him one.

When I watched that film the only thing I knew about it was that it influenced Mulholland Dr. I was not prepared.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
If anyone hasn't seen it, I highly recommend Last Year In Marienbad.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

passionate dongs posted:

If anyone hasn't seen it, I highly recommend Last Year In Marienbad.

I was really hoping there would be a joke about how you couldn't actually remember what happened in Last Year in Marienbad.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Raxivace posted:

I was really hoping there would be a joke about how you couldn't actually remember what happened in Last Year in Marienbad.

Is that like the time we all got together and watched Rashomon?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well yeah, but how would you know? You weren't there.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That's not the way I remember it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

That's not the way I remember it.

Well luckily I know a spirit medium that can put this to rest!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Damnit, time to go rewatch Rashomon.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And then maybe I'll rennt that Lola movie.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

YES. She is returning

http://moviehole.net/201590849looks-like-duchovnys-doing-twin-peaks-too

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

This is great.
More importantly, it led me to the news that THE X-FILES IS COMING BACK!!!!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Baloogan posted:

fish

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fish are not surreal. They just breathe water.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

you are not a good surrealist. or funny.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Fish are not surreal. They just breathe water.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Baloogan posted:

rude

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Baloogan posted:

ham

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Has anyone seen the FWWM deleted scenes? I haven't watched them yet, but I was thinking of plowing through them in a day or two.

spam

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Has anyone seen the FWWM deleted scenes? I haven't watched them yet, but I was thinking of plowing through them in a day or two.

They're worth watching. They make FWWM feel a lot more Twin Peaks-y.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Raxivace posted:

I enjoyed them more than I thought I would.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Raxivace posted:

I liked all of them but honestly the film works better and is a lot more focused without most of them. There's a few I would have kept (all of the David Bowie stuff and the Palmer dinner scene)

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

Surlaw posted:

I liked all of them but honestly the film works better and is a lot more focused without most of them. There's a few I would have kept (all of the David Bowie stuff and the Palmer dinner scene)

Palmer dinner was a necessity IMO because we never actually see them happy together.

I think the ceiling fan scene should have stayed too because of how cool it was.

The other scenes are good, but either clash with the tone, are superfluous, or in the case of the post-S2 scenes would have made a lack of S3 much worse.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
This weekend, I finished watching the series for the first time. It's a strange and wonderful show, and I tucked into it like Ben Horne tucks into a baguette. A show full of meme-worthy material before internet memes were even a thing. Audrey Horne is a great viewer recruitment tool, but in the end I stayed for the strange David Lynch stuff. Also, Hawk is the man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

LLCoolJD posted:

This weekend, I finished watching the series for the first time. It's a strange and wonderful show, and I tucked into it like Ben Horne tucks into a baguette. A show full of meme-worthy material before internet memes were even a thing. Audrey Horne is a great viewer recruitment tool, but in the end I stayed for the strange David Lynch stuff. Also, Hawk is the man.

The focus on food in the show is great and hilarious. I especially love the cheese pig.

• Locked thread