Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is there a good resource for finding out what stuff will be for sale as Gencon Exclusives or otherwise limited release/availability items?

I'd be up for that. Since you don't have PMs get in touch via monkeypuncher00 at gmail dot com

I'm sure you could track it down, but it's probably more of a booth swag type of thing. I know some really high demand releases will sell out though, like the new Game of Thrones LCG starter from FFG. I've heard that the line to even get in the FFG booth is hours long.

And I'll email you if I set up anything or if we have more interest here when the event gets closer. I feel weird planning stuff this far out, but it seems like that's the norm for Gencon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bottom Liner posted:

I've heard that the line to even get in the FFG booth is hours long.

It is. You go early or risk being there for hours and hours.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The ffg line last year was fine if you went mid afternoon. Not great but maybe 30 minutes.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Bottom Liner posted:

Hmm, I think I might brave it for part of Thursday then a bit on Sunday. Anyone have any plans for Wed afternoon/evening yet? I'd love to get some beer and pre-game.

Unless for some reason it isn't going on, there will be trivia at the Colts Grille at 7:00 pm Wednesday. There were a lot of goons there last year and I imagine there will be this year.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Crackbone posted:

The ffg line last year was fine if you went mid afternoon. Not great but maybe 30 minutes.

I would also point out that when they released Rebel Aces at the booth for x-wing, by the end of the convention there was still a massive pile of them there, so if you're after prerelease stuff, don't sweat it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Reynold posted:

I would also point out that when they released Rebel Aces at the booth for x-wing, by the end of the convention there was still a massive pile of them there, so if you're after prerelease stuff, don't sweat it.

But the year Netrunner came out I'm pretty sure they sold out drat near immediately each day so it depends on what it is

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, I'm betting GoT will be a hot commodity. How are prices at Gencon usually? Good deals for buying directly from vendors or premium convention prices?

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, I'm betting GoT will be a hot commodity. How are prices at Gencon usually? Good deals for buying directly from vendors or premium convention prices?

MSRP baby

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I have a (semi large) group of friends and co-workers that want in on the ground floor of GoT. I have a feeling a.) they will be dissapointed, or b.) I'm going to get mugged while trying to carry 8+ boxes to my car.

I'm gonna get mugged, aren't I? :ohdear:

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Bottom Liner posted:

It's pretty much MSRP for most everything. Some dealers will do some con specials like buy game + all the expansions for 15% off or something. That being said, on Sunday some of the dealers are just trying to make poo poo go away so they don't have to pay to ship it back. Just try and pay with cash and ask if they can give it to you a bit cheaper.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Carteret posted:

I have a (semi large) group of friends and co-workers that want in on the ground floor of GoT. I have a feeling a.) they will be dissapointed, or b.) I'm going to get mugged while trying to carry 8+ boxes to my car.

I'm gonna get mugged, aren't I? :ohdear:

Just don't set any bags down unattended, otherwise you will probably be fine. :)

If you ever have to sit a bag down, flank it and keep it in eyesight. Especially the bigger bags from FFG and AEG. Someone in our group a few years back had one nabbed and they had just set it down to get their wallet out.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Rio grandes booth usually has discounts and they run flash sales. Last year they asked somebody for $100 and they got every dominion product made up til that point.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Coolstuff has a booth usually and they are of course about 20-25% under MSRP and also hand a coupon out for $$ off their website, but in general don't expect the discounts at other booths, but drop by on sunday for the last few hours prior to packing up and some folks slash prices so they have less poo poo to haul back.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I bought a lot at CoolStuff's booth last year. While WOTC had DnD 5e players handbook for $50 CSI had it for $35

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Will they have the Gencon releases at the CSI booth? I'm assuming not, plus I'm from Orlando so I can snag them from CSIs shop otherwise. Guess I should just make a release list and decide what I'm willing to pay the premium for. Game of Thrones definitely, probably two core sets knowing FFG. Any other big releases you guys know about?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bottom Liner posted:

Will they have the Gencon releases at the CSI booth? I'm assuming not, plus I'm from Orlando so I can snag them from CSIs shop otherwise. Guess I should just make a release list and decide what I'm willing to pay the premium for. Game of Thrones definitely, probably two core sets knowing FFG. Any other big releases you guys know about?

They aren't going to have Gencon releases at csi's booth.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Usually in June or so a couple of geeklists pop up on BGG with lists of GenCon new releases to look out for. I probably heard about most of last year's hotness (Conquest, Doomtown Reloaded collector's edition, Tragedy Looper) in last year's thread; people will post all the cool poo poo here once we get a bit closer.

This will be my third GenCon and I signed up for my first real RPG game (Base Raiders) and myself and two buddies are trying True Dungeon for the first time this year. Didn't get into any NSDM games though; really wanted to do the WWI one. I may try to hang out and get in on generics if someone doesn't show.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

But the year Netrunner came out I'm pretty sure they sold out drat near immediately each day so it depends on what it is

The only reason Netrunner sold out like it did was because FFG had no limit on purchases and VIG's were buying a dozen at a time to sell on eBay. It was pretty much gone by the time the con opened and FFG wasn't even prepared for it selling that well. They didn't even have enough copies for the tournament.

Bottom Liner posted:

All Gencon releases are exclusive to the vendors releasing them. I also think some of the companies, FFG, force vendors not to carry their products so that con goers have to go to the source and pay full MSRP.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 1, 2015

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
I would also be curious if some goon out there was composing a master list of GenCon launch items or exclusives. I want to know what I'm going to be waiting for early in the morning for the GroupMe bros again.

These events made me wish I drank coffee. :sludgepal:

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Just got my ticket, going with my boss to try and get some properties this year. Usually we get one or two a year but this is my first time going.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here's an early list of some Gencon releases

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/190570/gen-con-2015-releases/page/1

Grinspork
Jun 20, 2004

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED
A PREDATOR DECK BUILDER?

This is everything I've never known that I wanted.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Alien Encounter one was pretty good, you could play through all of the movies and you could even get infected by a face hugger and if you drew the card later it burst out your chest and you become an alien.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Looking at the list the girlfriend is at least intrigued by the Orphan Black card game. I haven't watched beyond episode 1 but she loves it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Forbidden Stars has me intrigued but then again, most 40K stuff by FFG at least gets my notice.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Forbidden Stars has me intrigued but then again, most 40K stuff by FFG at least gets my notice.

Looks like the Starcraft board game. I'd get it if it was half the price, as it stands I don't need another $100 board game nobody wants to spend 5 hours playing.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Reynold posted:

Looks like the Starcraft board game. I'd get it if it was half the price, as it stands I don't need another $100 board game nobody wants to spend 5 hours playing 2 hours setting up/tearing down, 3 hours playing.

Fixed that for you.

While I love the properties that FFG gets their hands on, I wish they would do a better job at cleaning up their games. To much cost in 9000 random tokens for every little thing.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm now imagining a guy with a goatee in a FFG polo shirt talking about how it's part of the experience.

As for buying it, I will probably wait for a sale at CSI if it's any good. I live in Orlando and I can just go pick it up after work. I also don't want to lug it onto the plane. I will probably demo it though because I almost always demo at least 1 FFG.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 4, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

drat, that's at least 4 of us goons that live here and shop at CSI. Do you go on wed nights?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

drat, that's at least 4 of us goons that live here and shop at CSI. Do you go on wed nights?

No, but I only recently moved back to Orlando. I might go in the near future if it works out with my work schedule.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Let me know if you do. Also, I'm looking to put together a playgroup in Kissimmee if you live down this way.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Let me know if you do. Also, I'm looking to put together a playgroup in Kissimmee if you live down this way.

I live kind of between downtown and UCF but I'd be down to play something every once in a while.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
We doing GroupMe this year?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Kaddish posted:

We doing GroupMe this year?

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me!

I never deleted the room from last year so if you were in GroupMe last year it should be pretty easy to rejoin but in case it's not... (Quarex, add to OP plz)

GroupMe - GenCon chat room and meme facilitator

The past couple of years we've used GroupMe to group chat, organize pickup games, post pics, and drunkenly talk poo poo to each other.

Install the GroupMe app on your phone.
Create an account.
Use this link to join the GenGoons room: https://groupme.com/join_group/9123611/dMNjpU

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
I am also in (east) Orlando!

Get in the GroupMe so we can blow up your phone all the time with shitposts that are harder to ignore!

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Lawen posted:

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me!

I never deleted the room from last year so if you were in GroupMe last year it should be pretty easy to rejoin but in case it's not... (Quarex, add to OP plz)

GroupMe - GenCon chat room and meme facilitator

The past couple of years we've used GroupMe to group chat, organize pickup games, post pics, and drunkenly talk poo poo to each other.

Install the GroupMe app on your phone.
Create an account.
Use this link to join the GenGoons room: https://groupme.com/join_group/9123611/dMNjpU

Dear god this app kills my battery every year.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I found out today that my vacation time for Gen Con was approved. If any goons have room for 1 more in their hotel I would be interested. I'm clean, well mannered and have no problem sleeping on the floor. If anyone can help shoot me a PM.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Getting in the Group Me train again.

Also, ganked a spot in a Night's Black Agents game / playest for Dracula Dossier. :smugdog:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Peas and Rice posted:

Getting in the Group Me train again.

Also, ganked a spot in a Night's Black Agents game / playest for Dracula Dossier. :smugdog:

Let us know how that is because that book sounds awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I was thinking about event coats at Gencon and I'm wondering if event runners decide the cost of events and if so do they see some return on it? For example True Dungeon has crazy production values and it's expensive. Do they see a return on the price?

• Locked thread