Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I liked how the threat generation for warrior tanks was fundamentally broken for months after launch, and had been a problem all through beta, so the true believers started asserting it was a fresh new take on tank rules. Surely if it had been "broken" so long it was intentional!

Yes, it was GOOD that warriors, which everyone associates with tanking, were absolutely poo poo at the role and outclassed by engineer and stalker tanks. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Thunderbro posted:

rift used to be a fun game

last time I played it I immediately got called a friend of the family and votekicked for not having full raid gear in a 5-man dungeon. this is standard for a pay2win community.

Doing an entire Vash'jir expac was cool though.

Did Rift's Moonshade Highlands come before or after WoW's Twilight Highlands? Because they are the exact same zone, it's amazing.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Deki posted:

I had similar experiences the last time I played. Nobody was that assholish, but getting kicked for not being overgeared for a levelling dungeon is irritating.

Were wildstar's pubbies like that? I didn't pug much at all.

I got a key into the closed beta. In the very first dungeon, on my first attempt, there is a trash mob with a lightning spell that required you to strip his interrupt armor and interrupt, or it will most likely kill the person he uses it on. After 3 attempts on him, the tank declared that I was the cause of our failure, and I wasn't interrupting at the right time and "probably didn't even have an interrupt on my bar." He dropped group. We replaced him and didn't have a single wipe for the rest of the dungeon. And in hindsight, I realized I was doing it exactly right, he was just an idiot.

All MMO's have terrible people playing them, but Wildstar managed to cultivate a very special class of arrogant, elitist douches. I like lots of things about the game though! Many of the bosses were legitimately fun! (In my opinion.) Dodging the bullet-hell stuff on the Forgemaster and doing the conga line dodge on the... I wanna say Slavemaster? Whatever their names were, I liked those fights.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

If the worst part of playing your multiplayer game is playing with the lovely people who play it no amount of mechanics, art, or combat will matter.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Manifest Dynasty posted:

I got a key into the closed beta. In the very first dungeon, on my first attempt, there is a trash mob with a lightning spell that required you to strip his interrupt armor and interrupt, or it will most likely kill the person he uses it on. After 3 attempts on him, the tank declared that I was the cause of our failure, and I wasn't interrupting at the right time and "probably didn't even have an interrupt on my bar." He dropped group. We replaced him and didn't have a single wipe for the rest of the dungeon. And in hindsight, I realized I was doing it exactly right, he was just an idiot.

All MMO's have terrible people playing them, but Wildstar managed to cultivate a very special class of arrogant, elitist douches. I like lots of things about the game though! Many of the bosses were legitimately fun! (In my opinion.) Dodging the bullet-hell stuff on the Forgemaster and doing the conga line dodge on the... I wanna say Slavemaster? Whatever their names were, I liked those fights.

You're a casual scum for having fun in a fight. Wildstar is for only having hardcore ball busting.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Did they ever drop the idea of 'interrupt armor'? I get the idea of having to interrupt stuff, but Wildstar's take on it was so goddamn ridiculous. OK, so you gotta interrupt this guy or his spell will wipe the party. Problem is, he has 3 interrupt armor so you have to land 3 interrupts to break the armor, then a fourth interrupt to interrupt him. And this has to happen in a tiny window (5 seconds I think?), and almost every class only had one or two interrupts, and they were on longish cooldowns. So basically everyone in the party had to be on the ball and run this conga-line of interupts - to interrupt ONE mob in ONE fight. And you have to do this, successfully, repeatedly over the course of a dungeon.

What the gently caress.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So, just saw that this game going F2P. Before they announced that it would subscription and 40-size raids and poo poo I was actually interested in this.

Did they change any of the SUPER HARDCORE dumb bullshit since the release of the game?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

frajaq posted:

So, just saw that this game going F2P. Before they announced that it would subscription and 40-size raids and poo poo I was actually interested in this.

Did they change any of the SUPER HARDCORE dumb bullshit since the release of the game?

Raids got cut from 40 to 20 and they've adjusted difficulty of a lot of stuff downward some, and are working on adjusting a lot of it more before it goes F2P. they added a lv10 dungeon to introduce people properly to dungeon/raid mechanics too.

they seem to be aware that only a tiny audience exists for the mega hardcore crazyperson stuff so they're trying to get the game into a place where it appeals to a wider audience. hopefully it works out

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

frajaq posted:

no but they figured out that all the idiots still playing wildstar are probably retarded enough to shell out hundreds and thousands of dollars for video game items

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

WarLocke posted:

Did they ever drop the idea of 'interrupt armor'? I get the idea of having to interrupt stuff, but Wildstar's take on it was so goddamn ridiculous. OK, so you gotta interrupt this guy or his spell will wipe the party. Problem is, he has 3 interrupt armor so you have to land 3 interrupts to break the armor, then a fourth interrupt to interrupt him. And this has to happen in a tiny window (5 seconds I think?), and almost every class only had one or two interrupts, and they were on longish cooldowns. So basically everyone in the party had to be on the ball and run this conga-line of interupts - to interrupt ONE mob in ONE fight. And you have to do this, successfully, repeatedly over the course of a dungeon.

What the gently caress.

I actually liked a lot of the interrupt armor stuff. By higher levels, warriors could do a ton of interrupt, and many things didn't REQUIRE an interrupt to survive, but they would trigger the Moment of Opportunity (extra incoming damage) if you did. My main complaints were needing to run a bunch of add-ons to easily see if this spell was The Bad One and little tuning issues (how long your window was, etc). The basic concept was fine (even "good") in my opinion.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

WarLocke posted:

What the gently caress.

The entire "follow this procedure precisely or you die/everyone dies" is tolerable by tiny children and huge spergs and not really anyone else, hth

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I think tiny children would give up and go outside after the first couple wipes caused by that.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

WarLocke posted:

What the gently caress.

The only change coming for interrupt armor is that they are changing leveling dungeons to only have 1 IA for trash and 2 IA for bosses. Endgame dungeons are going to be unchanged in terms of IA.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Sometimes ia was good, like when doing an "knock everyone away and now you have to run in and do thing". Ia was not supposed to regen when while a mob is casting but Wildstar has a prodigious defect rate. When it was working, it was a fun cool thing. Make sure you had enough interrupts available and you could do the fight without any real coordination.

Sometimes ia was bad, like with slave master's shockwave, which was a one second cast he did like every 10 or so seconds and could easily wipe a group if allowed to go of more than once or twice in the whole fight.

Slave master was such a weird, out of place fight in so many ways. It would have been a really good raid boss, but instead it was a really bad dungeon boss. It wasn't even the end boss.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Kelp Plankton posted:

hopefully it works out

Wait, what? I thought this was the hate thread. For hating.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
e, Wrong loving thread.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Wait, what? I thought this was the hate thread. For hating.

It would be nice if they turned the game around. It's very unlikely, but it would be nice.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Wildstar needs to fail so devs realize no one that matters wants a hardcore mmo.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Manifest Dynasty posted:

I actually liked a lot of the interrupt armor stuff. By higher levels, warriors could do a ton of interrupt, and many things didn't REQUIRE an interrupt to survive, but they would trigger the Moment of Opportunity (extra incoming damage) if you did. My main complaints were needing to run a bunch of add-ons to easily see if this spell was The Bad One and little tuning issues (how long your window was, etc). The basic concept was fine (even "good") in my opinion.

Meanwhile medics had one interrupt on a 30 second cooldown. I remember I wanted to help with DPS on someone's attunement run, and got rejected because of that reason, and I could kind of see their point.

Interrupt armor was a cute idea but I think they were a little too proud of it.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

AlmightyBob posted:

Wildstar needs to fail so devs realize no one that matters wants a hardcore mmo.

It doesn't matter if it does because the louder masses will just say it failed because it wasn't hardcore enough or some other bullshit reason.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Anoia posted:

I liked how the threat generation for warrior tanks was fundamentally broken for months after launch, and had been a problem all through beta, so the true believers started asserting it was a fresh new take on tank rules. Surely if it had been "broken" so long it was intentional!

Yes, it was GOOD that warriors, which everyone associates with tanking, were absolutely poo poo at the role and outclassed by engineer and stalker tanks. :shepface:

Fuckin' casual. Everyone knows that true tanks only mash their left click to attack. :smug:

Seriously if you didn't just spam menacing strike or whatever it was called your threat generation died. But hey at least you weren't an engineer tank who just couldn't receive heals if they had a specific AMP or some poo poo. Anybody happen to still have a link to the old engineer bug thread from launch? I recall it being absolutely wonderful.

e; That was a lot easier than I thought. https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48617-list-of-the-engineer-bugs/

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I think I'll just go back to playing GW2 instead then

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

AlmightyBob posted:

this already happened, though

it's why raids got cut from 40-man to 20, why they're adjusting the difficulty to make everything easier, and why they can focus on selling cosmetic items and housing stuff in the cash shop when its f2p

hardcore people dont give a poo poo about new chairs and beds

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Kelp Plankton posted:

this already happened, though

it's why raids got cut from 40-man to 20, why they're adjusting the difficulty to make everything easier, and why they can focus on selling cosmetic items and housing stuff in the cash shop when its f2p

hardcore people dont give a poo poo about new chairs and beds

The name of the game is hardcore decoration now.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pesterchum posted:

It doesn't matter if it does because the louder masses will just say it failed because it wasn't hardcore enough or some other bullshit reason.

Hardcore cannot fail, it can only be failed

Im sure this is something the previous ceo at carbine believed before being removed from the position kicking and screaming

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The real irony here is, games like Wildstar and FFXIV could be some really good single player games if some effort was made. But this may be my personal bias, I generally don't care about MMOs I don't know or like, while I seriously wish for fantasy MMOs I do like to come out as a single-player version.

I think the only MMO I actually play to be part of the community out of my own free will is Eve Online, because multiplayer is the single draw the game has besides spaceships. With fantasy MMOs, I always have to overcome this instinctive reaction of "This shouldn't be multiplayer, why is this multiplayer! gently caress.".

Which probably also explains why I only play F2P-fantasy MMOs nowadays. Hell, I really like FFXIV, but I still stopped playing it because it costs me money every month, which is just something I won't do with fantasy MMOs. It just doesn't feel right.

Hardcore MMO-players are like aliens to me, is what I'm saying.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Every single mmo would be awful as a singleplayer game

Every single one of them

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kelp Plankton posted:

Every single mmo would be awful as a singleplayer game

Every single one of them

What you're thinking of is a MMO with the other players ripped out, but without any changes. That's not what I'd consider a single-player game.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Libluini posted:

What you're thinking of is a MMO with the other players ripped out, but without any changes. That's not what I'd consider a single-player game.

So if you took an MMO and completely reworked it into a whole different game, then it would make a good single-player game... ?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I don't see anything wrong with wanting that. I'd play a single player version of running and gunning through WIldstars dungeons.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
FF14's content with a better leveling curve and a party system like ff12 would probably be a really good game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

So if you took an MMO and completely reworked it into a whole different game, then it would make a good single-player game... ?

Yes, that's my secret wish every time I play a game like FFXIV or Wildstar.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Secret World was originally planned as an RPG but Funcom got burnt by poor sales of the previous Ragnar title and was afraid of piracy and the siren call of MMO money was too strong to ignore

It would be such a good single player game

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Hardcore cannot fail, it can only be failed

Im sure this is something the previous ceo at carbine believed before being removed from the position kicking and screaming

If you aren't willing to spend thousands of dollars on a game you must not want it to succeed.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Unguided posted:

If you aren't willing to spend thousands of dollars on a game you must not want it to succeed.

But enough about Star Citizen.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
But enough about Crowfall.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Libluini posted:

The real irony here is, games like Wildstar and FFXIV could be some really good single player games if some effort was made. But this may be my personal bias, I generally don't care about MMOs I don't know or like, while I seriously wish for fantasy MMOs I do like to come out as a single-player version.

I think the only MMO I actually play to be part of the community out of my own free will is Eve Online, because multiplayer is the single draw the game has besides spaceships. With fantasy MMOs, I always have to overcome this instinctive reaction of "This shouldn't be multiplayer, why is this multiplayer! gently caress.".

Which probably also explains why I only play F2P-fantasy MMOs nowadays. Hell, I really like FFXIV, but I still stopped playing it because it costs me money every month, which is just something I won't do with fantasy MMOs. It just doesn't feel right.

Hardcore MMO-players are like aliens to me, is what I'm saying.

Except I'm paying 15 a month for a game while you shell out 60 per game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Holyshoot posted:

Games I buy for that money are games I generally play one and off for years. Now how much do you pay after several years of monthly subscription?

Now does it dawn on you why I'd want a single-player version for FFXIV? Or at least a F2P-option?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Holyshoot posted:

1. Total cost of ownership adds up
2. Not every game is 60 bucks and those that are don't stay that price forever; some can even be gotten cheaply immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Holyshoot posted:

Buy a new game every 4 (realistically every 3 unless you're too impatient to wait for deals and need to preorder everything as it's announced) months vs. playing the enticing and not at all gated content of an MMO for that duration, hmm.

• Locked thread