Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Jeff is still my favorite even on a bad day but if you asked me to explain why I probably couldn't

Didn't realize there was a Vinnycast now tho, that's... excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They're both good!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's a good cast, and they've just released their 3rd episode: episode 1.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This week's WOFF is excellent. Green tea Kit Kats are good.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I never finished Katamari but that last level sounds pretty great. I was able to track how far I got into it by the songs I instantly recognized.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

EC posted:

Yeah I've only listened to half of episode 0 but it's way better than the normal Bombcast already. It says something about how bad Dan and Jeff have gotten that I'd rather listen to Alex Navarro of all people (or maybe it says something about how great of a host Vinny is).

The Beastcast really has had a strong start, but I'm not sure it's about personnel, except in the abstract. The Beastcast still feels fresh, and it really feels like like everyone doing it wants to be there. The Bombcast feels like an old, tired, obligation.

The News segments are a particularly good compare and contrast. On the Beastcast Vinny managed to find 3 stories, which generated decent amounts of interesting conversation, while restricting himself to the letter F. On the Bombcast the news segment has turned into either a weary dirge, or Brad proclaiming there is simply no news this week.

Vinny is of course amazing, there's no doubting that.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
The content in the Giant Bombcast really does not justify a weekly three hour podcast.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Old Swerdlow posted:

The content in the Giant Bombcast really does not justify a weekly three hour podcast.

Counterpoint: It does, that podcast is still great. I know the beastcast is the new hot poo poo, but the Bombcast is consistently great with a few exceptions - occasionally there'll be some Jeff/Brad being a downer tangent, but these last two episodes have been really good.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 30, 2015

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Competition in the market. This is a good thing, and the Bombcast will have to respond and improve. The Beastcast is WCW circa 1996 and that means we're scheduled to have the Attitude Era of the Bombcast in approximately two years.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I would listen to a daily bombcast even if it was just three hours of Jeff rambling and fake sounding Dan Ryckert stories. You guys are crazy for talking bad about that thing.

Vinnie and Alex are both great and I'm excited to be hearing them again.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

If anyone has found a way to give Alex charisma it's Vinny.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Alex sounds the same as he does on the power bombcasts. He's a good foil to most situations, the only time it didn't work out is when he's paired with someone similar to him in Patrick.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Tir McDohl posted:

If anyone has found a way to give Alex charisma it's Vinny.
I'd take Alex over Brad any day.

Alex makes a good straight man. Brad is boring in any role.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 31, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Idle Thumbs is a podcast that I'm sadly not that into anymore, due to the realities of them not having time to play anything. It's so much less in-depth than it used to be, and also just less funny in general due to too much time spent navel gazing on singular topics. It's not a long podcast to begin with, but it's starting to feel really long in the tooth.

Listening to the Mad Men podcast really made this clear to me, since that's the level of discussion that I feel used to be the norm. It's not really their fault, I suppose, but I sure hope their game turns out to be good.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Phone posted:

This week's WOFF is excellent. Green tea Kit Kats are good.

They really are.

Also, hearing you guys talk about Pretty Fly for a White Guy and then a bunch of Japanese poo poo reminded me of this.

:nms:

https://youtu.be/DzD76g4BlQA

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hakkesshu posted:

Idle Thumbs is a podcast that I'm sadly not that into anymore, due to the realities of them not having time to play anything. It's so much less in-depth than it used to be, and also just less funny in general due to too much time spent navel gazing on singular topics. It's not a long podcast to begin with, but it's starting to feel really long in the tooth.
I think they could use a little season break. Maybe they're rotating in and out so they can continue to produce while combating fatigue. I get the sense that you can lose a lot of podcast audience if you stop producing every single week. I think when Chris likened one exchange to a Morning Zoo I realized that I wasn't having as good a time. The riffing off of accidental mispronunciations for 5-7 minutes or calling a thing a special funny name is wearing a bit thin, but they've always done that, and it's been funny before. Maybe I need the break.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mango sentinel posted:

I'd take Alex over Drew any day.

Alex makes a good straight man. Drew is boring in any role.
I was with you until this post

no, man, no

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MeruFM posted:

add Giant Beastcast to the list because holy poo poo Vinny is back but now as his own thing

Lemme go find this, but yeah, I'll add it to the list (and if it's under 3 hours a week, probably even listen to it).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Old Swerdlow posted:

Aren't they expanding into more podcasts, too? Like, there's the main one, this new one from old employees or whatever and then wrestling podcasts and other non-gamng bullshit? I'm completely disinclined to listen to any of it but there's clearly a large audience who doesn't give a poo poo and is happy for them to talk about anything they want for any length of time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Giantbomb's slowly heading into IGN territory where they have a podcast for every day of the week.

Current list:
-Bombcast
-Beastcast
-F1 racing seasonal with Danny+Drew
-Bi-weekly life podcast with Dan+Danny
-Power Bombcast

And random stuff occasionally like that rifftrax on Rocky 4, book podcast, Dan's Father podcast, etc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Aren't they expanding into more podcasts, too? Like, there's the main one, this new one from old employees or whatever and then wrestling podcasts and other non-gamng bullshit? I'm completely disinclined to listen to any of it but there's clearly a large audience who doesn't give a poo poo and is happy for them to talk about anything they want for any length of time.

How loving DARE they talk about anything but video games ever

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't care that they're covering different topics or that their podcast sucks in general, I just don't get why they're transitioning into a podcast network when they barely have the passion or insight to sustain what they're already doing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I don't care that they're covering different topics or that their podcast sucks in general, I just don't get why they're transitioning into a podcast network when they barely have the passion or insight to sustain what they're already doing.

....How would you know this if you never listened to them?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bombcast isn't the same as ryan and Vinny being on it, but that's like saying Roger ebert wasn't the same without siskel. It's still good, just not AS good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You're right, the people producing some of the best games-related content on the internet have no passion

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tae posted:

....How would you know this if you never listened to them?

I've listened to them here or there, seen some of their videos, etc to the point where I knew it wasn't for me.

One of the consistent complaints I've heard from people who do regularly listen is "more and more of their podcast is taken up by inane babble and they don't really sound like they care anymore" and I can't imagine having to spend more of their lives talking into a microphone is gonna help them improve or regain whatever excitement that used to have, unless they use these other podcasts as a way to segue out of doing what they're doing now and into other fields that genuinely interest them. Then again, people who listen to hours of the same dudes every day are probably myopic in their criticism so I probably shouldn't take too much stock in what they say, either.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Much like we shouldn't take criticisms from someone who doesn't follow them and bases his current info on secondhand data. But what do I know, I'm just shortsighted.

I've routinely said they're not as good as they once were, but they're far from bad. Dan can babble about wrestling too much, jeff can be a bummer sometimes, drew is too quiet, and Brad is Brad, but it's still fine listening. The issue is that ryan and vinny, the two people who have experience as podcast hosting, are gone. They were great at ending overextended topics and derails before they got too long in the tooth, while brad is terrible at this. The destiny chat recently perfectly exemplifies that issue.

It's still far better than most gaming podcasts and is great to pop on at work.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
When I listen to a gaming podcast I don't need an audio review of the latest graphics on of the latest AAA. The tangents are the interesting part. Games are great, but I don't want facts about them, I want experiences and stories and vaguely related topics.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Danielle played 40 hours of the Witcher, and all she could think of for the podcast was a tiny, forgettable goat sidequest, and a gag in the opening cutscene :psyduck: CMON MINTS !!

_jink fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 31, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

_jink posted:

Danielle played 40 hours of the Witcher, and all she could think of for the podcast was a tiny, forgettable goat sidequest, followed by 5 minutes of riffing about a gag in the opening cutscene :psyduck: CMON MINTS !!

I like Danielle, but she's really an extremely bad podcaster. Every impression she gives about a game she's played has about the same amount of insight or potential for debate as an Amazon user review or something. Which is troubling considering she's the only one who actually plays games.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Look at you, winning the mayoral election of Wrongtown.

Danielle consistently gives me exactly enough about a game which I potentially haven't played. She's engaging on mic, consistently bringing games I don't hear other podcasters talking about, and still keeps up with the hot title of the moment. I can understand if you didn't think she was funny (humor being subjective and all), but I don't think you can call her a bad podcasters. It's probably a symptom of Idle Thumbs not being the format for you, as stated above.

Idle Thumbs isn't for deep dives, it's a slice of what some people are playing at the moment.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I just started listening to Thumbs, and I just kind of think they're all funny and interesting people, so I don't mind that they don't all go that deep into games. If they used to, and they stopped, I could see that being a cause for concern though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'ma always puzzled why giant bombcast features jeff gerstmann, I guy who seems to not even care about the subjects brought up

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

I was with you until this post

no, man, no
Woah woah woah woah.

I had some kind of aneurism while writing that post. I meant Brad, not Drew. I don't know what happened there.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'ma always puzzled why giant bombcast features jeff gerstmann, I guy who seems to not even care about the subjects brought up
Because he knows enough about the gaming industry and the history of video games to provide interesting context around current-day issues and trends.

Yeah, he's clearly pretty jaded about the industry, but I can't really blame him sometimes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mango sentinel posted:

Woah woah woah woah.

I had some kind of aneurism while writing that post. I meant Brad, not Drew. I don't know what happened there.
Now that's more reasonable.

Grey Fox posted:

Because he knows enough about the gaming industry and the history of video games to provide interesting context around current-day issues and trends.

Yeah, he's clearly pretty jaded about the industry, but I can't really blame him sometimes.

Also he's been through some serious poo poo in the last two years that has probably affected him, I'm impressed he's able to joke around as much as he does still.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 31, 2015

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Also he's been through some serious poo poo in the last two years that has probably affected him, I'm impressed he's able to joke around as much as he does still.

That excuse has gotten pretty old. Maybe his friend dieing doesn't invalidate everyone's criticisms about anything he does forever.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

That excuse has gotten pretty old. Maybe his friend dieing doesn't invalidate everyone's criticisms about anything he does forever.

His father passed away recently as well, you robot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Yeah, like Tae said, his dad passed away what, a few months ago? That poo poo affects you for a pretty decent while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I think I'll put Beastcast on my "ran out of podcasts" list. But in regards to the Wombcast, it says something when my favorite podcast at the moment is four dudes just yelling at each other about fighting games and anime; and I don't even like fighting games or anime.

• Locked thread