Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Gorf from SA I may have rejected your PSN friend invite by accident. My apologies.

Nevermind it went through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

littleorv posted:

Gorf from SA I may have rejected your PSN friend invite by accident. My apologies.

Nevermind it went through.

Cool, now you'll see me never play my PS3

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Cool, now you'll see me never play my PS3

Very good

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Jagchosis posted:

I am eternally puzzled why Jojo isn't insanely popular and officially licensed in America, it's the perfect storm of American anime popularity

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
And now there are English editions that are nicer than the Japanese editions.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rohan and Oyakusu should be voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya and Wataru Tagaki, respectively.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

finally playing some audiosurf 2, can confirm the utena opening is still super fun to play

we should revive the adtrw audiosurf songpack thread

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Speaking of series with an undeserved reputation of being a meatgrinder...

akame ga kill kills off a bunch of main characters

it's also proof why this has nothing to do with the quality of a show

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I never really liked jojo

lick it or ticket
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to laugh cry as hard as you can, when you want to cry laugh all you can. When you see rain, just think of it as the world laughing with you, and laugh until you can't anymore.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

finally playing some audiosurf 2, can confirm the utena opening is still super fun to play

we should revive the adtrw audiosurf songpack thread

Speaking as someone who just bought it, as well as someone with eight of you on my friends list now...

I agree.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I used to be really eh about it all but I've really come to like Part 3, I think I'll probably watch anything else that gets animated.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The thing about JoJo is, every part has a different flavor, so there's a part that everyone can like.

and it's all of the parts because they're all great.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

that's ok, people are allowed to like different things, in this world

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

boom boom boom posted:

The thing about JoJo is, every part has a different flavor, so there's a part that everyone can like.

and it's all of the parts because they're all great.

I dunno, like I just never could see why I should care about any of the characters motivations. It seems to swing back and forth between serious to "gently caress the plot let's beat the poo poo out of each other for the hell of it". I've been watching it for like a year now and still am confused on what this show is suppose to be. It never seems to really establish itself as one thing or the other. I'm fine with everything being across the board but eh, it just doesn't click for me.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You have watched Cross Ange FOUR TIMES.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Rodyle posted:

You have watched Cross Ange FOUR TIMES.

MC had motivation to get to her goals, she didn't really care about the obstacles and over came them, even at the end she still basically had the same goal as the time she made up her mind in prison. Even the villian had questionable intentions, while good, were executed wrong most times by human nature.

and actually it is 5 times now

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

akame ga kill kills off a bunch of main characters

it's also proof why this has nothing to do with the quality of a show

Who else did it kill off besides Brahf, the scissors chick and the girl that died pretty much right after she was introduced? I stopped reading after the fourth or fifth time the wire guy made some smug quip before cutting a woman into pieces

MC had motivation to get to her goals, she didn't really care about the obstacles and over came them, even at the end she still basically had the same goal as the time she made up her mind in prison. Even the villian had questionable intentions, while good, were executed wrong most times by human nature.

You need help

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

otoh, jojo is one of the most influential and critically acclaimed manga of all time

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

GorfZaplen posted:

You need help

What? I really enjoyed the MC not being a complete idiot who was scared of their own shadow, and a villain who actually was falling in the grey area of intentions.

Smoking Crow posted:

otoh, jojo is one of the most influential and critically acclaimed manga of all time

Oh I don't read manga so I am only basing my opinions off the anime

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

I dunno, like I just never could see why I should care about any of the characters motivations. It seems to swing back and forth between serious to "gently caress the plot let's beat the poo poo out of each other for the hell of it". I've been watching it for like a year now and still am confused on what this show is suppose to be. It never seems to really establish itself as one thing or the other. I'm fine with everything being across the board but eh, it just doesn't click for me.

The motivations are like the simplest thing

Part 1: survive living with and then beat Dio
Part 2: investigate and then beat the Pillar men
part 3: find and then beat Dio

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

boom boom boom posted:

The motivations are like the simplest thing

Part 1: survive living with and then beat Dio
Part 2: investigate and then beat the Pillar men
part 3: find and then beat Dio

Yeah but it never feels like there is any investment in the characters, the plot, while simple, just never gives me reason to care about anyone.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The show is supposed to be colorful, creative fights between passionate men. That's why there's all the colorful, creative fights between passionate men.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ever shall I gaze upon the enigma that is Dilbert As gently caress and ponder its depths.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Part 4: stop a serial killer hustlin'

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

What? I really enjoyed the MC not being a complete idiot who was scared of their own shadow, and a villain who actually was falling in the grey area of intentions.

There are plenty of anime that fit both of those, perhaps you could watch and experience something new. Have you seen Gun x Sword?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

boom boom boom posted:

The show is supposed to be colorful, creative fights between passionate men. That's why there's all the colorful, creative fights between passionate men.

The passion is what I bring into question, most of the MC's passion feels force fed and that we should care about the MC caring about X because well we are told to. I've been watching JoJo since that one episode where they are in some tea house or something and a stand comes out(it was like 1 year ago), all the arcs just feel like "they care about this so you should". Which really does not engage me, if I am watching an anime, I want to see why the MC has motivation to do what he/she does and follow the MC as he/she grows from where we started to where we end up at.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 31, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh my god who cares if the dude doesn't like jojo's

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

GorfZaplen posted:

There are plenty of anime that fit both of those, perhaps you could watch and experience something new. Have you seen Gun x Sword?

Not yet I may give it a shot, looks like it has a dub so I will give it a shot for doing cardio with

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Who else did it kill off besides Brahf, the scissors chick and the girl that died pretty much right after she was introduced? I stopped reading after the fourth or fifth time the wire guy made some smug quip before cutting a woman into pieces

the wire guy, incidentally, and the twintails girl isn't actually dead but in a coma

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rodyle posted:

Ever shall I gaze upon the enigma that is Dilbert As gently caress and ponder its depths.

He's my mortal enemy and I will destroy him.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Endorph posted:

oh my god who cares if the dude doesn't like jojo's

we're just chatting about anime.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I greatly prefer people like Dilbert who experienced Jojo on its own terms and decided they didn't like it to people who profess to love Jojo but complain about the "Filler."

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The passion is what I bring into question, most of the MC's passion feels force fed and that we should care about the MC caring about X because well we are told to. I've been watching JoJo since that one episode where they are in some tea house or something and a stand comes out(it was like 1 year ago),

Why did you just start at a random part 3 episode? Watch 1 and 2 you goofus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

He's my mortal enemy and I will destroy him.

*teleports behind you*

Nothin' personnel kid

• Locked thread