Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I stopped watching SPT Layzner sometime around when the pacing was going bonkers and they were in an ancient mayan(?) temple that actually tells the true origins of the oppressive space people. I should finish it, even if I hear the end is kind of a wtf

Also grab the OVAs which are apparently literally the ending of the TV series, but makes sense.

I'm going to watch anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Rodyle posted:

Why did you just start at a random part 3 episode? Watch 1 and 2 you goofus

Found a local group to watch anime with on saturday nights, we picked it up there

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

the wire guy, incidentally, and the twintails girl isn't actually dead but in a coma

Huh.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Not yet I may give it a shot, looks like it has a dub so I will give it a shot for doing cardio with

I hope you enjoy it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I still need to worth through the first half of part 3 but part 2 was the most glorious thing I have ever seen.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bad Seafood posted:

I greatly prefer people like Dilbert who experienced Jojo on its own terms and decided they didn't like it to people who profess to love Jojo but complain about the "Filler."

What on earth in JoJo do people call filler?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

Part 3 before Egypt is pretty eeeeeeeeeh

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I greatly prefer people like Dilbert who experienced Jojo on its own terms and decided they didn't like it to people who profess to love Jojo but complain about the "Filler."

I would love to see what these people think of part 4

before I annihilate them

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

real JoJo people call filler everything that isn't reading or watching JoJo

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Found a local group to watch anime with on saturday nights, we picked it up there

Wait, you completely skipped the season that introduced and built up the main villain, and went right into the season about people trying to track that villain down, and you're complaining about not getting the character's motivation?

Like, it's OK to not like JoJo, i was kidding earlier about how everyone should like every part, but do you think maybe some of your dislike of it is on you for just jumping in in the middle?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rodyle posted:

Filler is not 'bits I didn't care for' filler is stuff that wasn't in the manga that they add for whatever reason.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I may watch anime later tonight.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rodyle posted:

No its not

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Filler is not 'bits I didn't care for' filler is stuff that wasn't in the manga that they add for whatever reason.

Yes I know. I am answering the question of "what do people call filler"

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

boom boom boom posted:

I've talked with 2 kinds of JoJo people
Group A: reads the manga and hates the anime only people
Group B: who watches the anime and doesn't bother with the manga

they both hate eachother for some reason

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The first half of Part 3 rules. Anyone who disses it for being "monster of the week" will die by my sword.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

boom boom boom posted:

Most of Part 3.

The globe-trotting villain-of-the-week format has proven divisive among anime-only fans. They went into Part 3 expecting it to be more like Parts 1 and 2, and some of them took it being otherwise pretty poorly.

Rodyle posted:

I actually dig all of Part 3, even the less memorable bits, but I've seen even the good bits come under fire. Not even dudes like N'Dour or D'Arby are safe since they don't contribute to the plot beyond being obstacles for the Joestars to overcome.

the wildest rear end posted:

before I annihilate them
Part 4 is the true litmus test for who really 'gets' Jojo.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

boom boom boom posted:

Wait, you completely skipped the season that introduced and built up the main villain, and went right into the season about people trying to track that villain down, and you're complaining about not getting the character's motivation?

Like, it's OK to not like JoJo, i was kidding earlier about how everyone should like every part, but do you think maybe some of your dislike of it is on you for just jumping in in the middle?

Let me go back on the schedules and see where exactly I started jojo. I really only remember the girl being stolen and then the Villain talked about "you gotta come to Egypt!" The only memorable thing I have is the tea shop thing, and no I am not talking about the water and cup game in Egypt

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've talked with 2 kinds of JoJo people
Group A: reads the manga and hates the anime only people
Group B: who watches the anime and doesn't bother with the manga

they both hate eachother for some reason

Everyone I know either watches the anime and doesn't care about the manga or likes both, you talk to some weird people.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Yellow Temperance, The Emperor and the Hanged Man, Steely Dan, Death 13, Polnareff's Eternal Toilet Quest, these are all some of the good things in the first half of Part 3.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

before I annihilate them

PArt 4 is going to weed out a lot of JoJo's american audience

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

The first half of Part 3 rules. Anyone who disses it for being "monster of the week" will die by my sword.

GorfZaplen posted:

Yellow Temperance, The Emperor and the Hanged Man, Steely Dan, Death 13, Polnareff's Eternal Toilet Quest, these are all some of the good things in the first half of Part 3.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It is. I mean, bad Jojo is still better than most things I could be watching but it is bad Jojo outside of a couple fights.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Let me go back on the schedules and see where exactly I started jojo. I really only remember the girl being stolen and then the Villain talked about "you gotta come to Egypt!" The only memorable thing I have is the tea shop thing, and no I am not talking about the water and cup game in Egypt

There are an entire two parts, taking place many years before and establishing a lot of things, before Stardust Crusaders

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think that the actual biggest issue with 3 really is just that Jotaro loving blows. The monster of the week thing would be fine if our Mc was better.

HMMMMMM

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

yeah Stardust Crusaders is basically the third "season" or "arc" of the jojo franchise

i think it'd be possible to pick it up at the beginning of part 3 and enjoy it, but it's pretty strongly related through the characters and overarching plot threads to the first two parts

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

There are an entire two parts, taking place many years before and establishing a lot of things, before Stardust Crusaders

Is this like watching a mecha anime or something where it's always "Well no you can't start there you need to watch X to understand Y"

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

You'll never convince me Polnareff isn't the real main character of Stardust Crusaders.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Is this like watching a mecha anime or something where it's always "Well no you can't start there you need to watch X to understand Y"

nah, it'd be like starting on episode 28 or 29 of a 50+ episode series and wondering why none of the characters make any sense or feel like they have grounded motivations

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The first twelve or so episodes of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure take place 100 years before the stuff you saw, and detail Dio's childhood, his transformation into a vampire, and his developing of crazy super vampire powers.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No it like when you start watching something in the middle of a series and someone goes 'Why don't you start at the beginning instead?'

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Part 1: Phantom Blood
Part 2: Battle Tendency
Part 3: Stardust Crusaders

you started on part 3

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sort of, except that "X" is the beginning of the show, and "Y" is the middle of the show.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's one manga. You start the story at the beginning dumbass.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

nah, it'd be like starting on episode 28 or 29 of a 50+ episode series and wondering why none of the characters make any sense or feel like they have grounded motivations

Can I just go watch the 90's OVA's again and be happy with what I saw in that?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I stopped watching SPT Layzner sometime around when the pacing was going bonkers and they were in an ancient mayan(?) temple that actually tells the true origins of the oppressive space people. I should finish it, even if I hear the end is kind of a wtf

Also grab the OVAs which are apparently literally the ending of the TV series, but makes sense.

I'm going to watch anime.
the ending of layzner is the funniest poo poo. there aren't even many mecha battles, it's just the protagonist going through an episode of hokuto no ken

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

i mean if the show didn't grab you then i don't think anyone's going to convince you to give it another shot here, but if you feel like trying it again maybe start with the first or even second season, or just the first episode of stardust crusaders so you have a better feel for the plot and character setup

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

No because it sucks

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

of course lol

like i'm not trying to convince to watch or like jojo, it makes a lot of sense why it wouldn't appeal to you starting in the middle and it's def a lot of ground to cover at this point

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I think that the actual biggest issue with 3 really is just that Jotaro loving blows. The monster of the week thing would be fine if our Mc was better.

HMMMMMM
:getout:

Jotaro "Clint Eastwood" Kujo is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rodyle posted:

HMMMMMM

Hes loving cool. He 16 years old and has insane pecs and can punch people into a mush and he smokes cigarettes.

• Locked thread