Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Porkchop Express posted:

By any chance do you use the HBO Go app and have Comcast?

No HBO Go app, you have to use Chromecast ability. I have TWC. The NVIDIA Grid is really cool. I'm not a gamer but I'm playing Batman Arkham City. Took about 1-2 minutes to get going and it looks great and plays great. Really surprised how well it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Yeah I fi

5436 posted:

No HBO Go app, you have to use Chromecast ability. I have TWC. The NVIDIA Grid is really cool. I'm not a gamer but I'm playing Batman Arkham City. Took about 1-2 minutes to get going and it looks great and plays great. Really surprised how well it works.

Yeah I finally found an article that mentioned HBO, apparently an app is coming soon.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Variable_H posted:

I have this same issue while speed scrolling up in the twitter app Fenix. It'll scroll up a ways then just reverse and start scrolling down. It's not hitting the top because I'll still have unviewed tweets. This is on a Nexus 6.

Yeah it's weird, I noticed it in the awful app and thought it was resetting the page position (I'd scroll up fast and end up looking at the last post, it bounces so quick) but it just happened in the system settings too. Two flicks and you're fine, it hits the top and stops, but if you gave it three or more it bounces right back and scrolls down

I can't see any reason they'd make it do that intentionally, who wants that to happen? Crazy

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It looks like Netflix finally added Dolby Digital Plus support on the 26th for Android TV so that's a plus finally. It's a shame that HBO Go doesn't have 5.1 and that Vudu doesn't work at all casting.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

Yeah it's weird, I noticed it in the awful app and thought it was resetting the page position (I'd scroll up fast and end up looking at the last post, it bounces so quick) but it just happened in the system settings too. Two flicks and you're fine, it hits the top and stops, but if you gave it three or more it bounces right back and scrolls down

I can't see any reason they'd make it do that intentionally, who wants that to happen? Crazy
Funny thing is that I've never seen this until two hours ago when I did it in some app that I forget now. I got home and came to this thread and suddenly you're asking about it too. I wonder if it is's new in 5.1.1.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tunga posted:

Funny thing is that I've never seen this until two hours ago when I did it in some app that I forget now. I got home and came to this thread and suddenly you're asking about it too. I wonder if it is's new in 5.1.1.

I'ts not. I'm on 5.1 and it does it. Not really an issue though as I only encounter it very rarely.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah, could be! I only updated this week, and obviously I'm super impatient with my scrolling so I'd probably have noticed it before now

e- or not

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/29/google-teases-hands-free-the-public-name-for-plaso-yet-another-android-based-mobile-payment-system/

God damnit Google.

Only in San Francisco and for McDonalds and Papa John's.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The Engadget story was the best, for emphasizing how dumb and Silicon Valley the whole thing seems: "Google Wants You to Buy Big Macs with Your Face."

I guess now is the time to get plastic surgery so I look like Marc Zuckerberg.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

As someone who has an upgrade available, loves stock android, dislikes poo poo like TouchWiz and Sense, but thinks the Nexus 6 falls just over the "too loving big" line....how much will LG's UX on the G3 or G4 get on my nerves? With no new Nexus available and months before any new Moto X model, it's pretty much my only non-Samsung/HTC option

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Is M broken enough to not daily drive?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

As someone who has an upgrade available, loves stock android, dislikes poo poo like TouchWiz and Sense, but thinks the Nexus 6 falls just over the "too loving big" line....how much will LG's UX on the G3 or G4 get on my nerves? With no new Nexus available and months before any new Moto X model, it's pretty much my only non-Samsung/HTC option

It's not terribly offensive but you'll wonder why they bother with it. Just go try it at a store, see if you can deal with it. Also try the G4 and Nexus 6 side by side, put each in your pocket, etc and you might find the Nexus 6 tolerable. The G4 is not a small phone by any means.

e: But the G4 is a good phone so don't feel like you're making any compromises with it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Don Lapre posted:

Is M broken enough to not daily drive?
I really haven't seen any issues with mine. But I haven't used it a ton either since I kind've broke myself today.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Dunno about the G4, but the G3's is still kinda annoying. I moved from the G3 to the N6 and it wasn't that much of an adjustment honestly.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

how much will LG's UX on the G3 or G4 get on my nerves?

At least as much as Touchwiz would.

Sinjang
May 29, 2013
Does anyone know what might be happening here?

I've tried a few different metadata editors and have been able to change these three dates, but not Date Taken as I don't think that can be added to a video.

Yet Google Photos still insists on labelling it as taken today.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Tried googling this, but found a lot of people asking the question and not answering it:

I'm finding I'm running into lack of space on my phone (Galaxy S5) when I'm downloading apps. Using an app called Diskusage (which is kinda like WinDirStat) I've found that nearly a little over 3gig of space is being used for something called Download Manager, of which the subfolder Cache is taking up most of it at 2971mb.

I've found the Download Manager in my applications list and, sure enough, it's got a cache of 2.9 gig. Will clearing that cause any problems? As stupid as it is, I'm concerned about losing game progress or something, even though I'm sure the apps itself save that stuff and not a Download Manager's cache...

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 30, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Tried googling this, but found a lot of people asking the question and not answering it:

I'm finding I'm running into lack of space on my phone (Galaxy S5) when I'm downloading apps. Using an app called Diskusage (which is kinda like WinDirStat) I've found that nearly a little over 3gig of space is being used for something called Download Manager, of which the subfolder Cache is taking up most of it at 2971mb.

I've found the Download Manager in my applications list and, sure enough, it's got a cache of 2.9 gig. Will clearing that cause any problems? As stupid as it is, I'm concerned about losing game progress or something, even though I'm sure the apps itself save that stuff and not a Download Manager's cache...

It will be fine to delete.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sinjang posted:

Does anyone know what might be happening here?

I've tried a few different metadata editors and have been able to change these three dates, but not Date Taken as I don't think that can be added to a video.

Yet Google Photos still insists on labelling it as taken today.

Google Photos has no way to tell when a video was taken other than by the time it's uploaded.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So my Nexus 5 just completely locked up while I was using BaconReader. I can't scroll, I can't use the android menu buttons, and none of the physical buttons work so I can't even turn it off to restart it. It's completely unresponsive.

What do :saddowns:

VV great thanks that's really helpful advice right now

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 30, 2015

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Away all Goats posted:

So my Nexus 5 just completely locked up while I was using BaconReader. I can't scroll, I can't use the android menu buttons, and none of the physical buttons work so I can't even turn it off. It's completely unresponsive.

What do :saddowns:

Listen to the android gods and stop reading reddit.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sure it won't turn off if you hold the power button down? Like, for a while

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

baka kaba posted:

Sure it won't turn off if you hold the power button down? Like, for a while

Yeah, holding the power button down for 10+ seconds overrides the software and forces it to turn off immediately. If that doesn't work, your phone is seriously internally damaged and will have to be replaced. It would be the equivalent of a battery pull, then not being able to turn the phone back on.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Well it eventually unfucked itself on its own after about 10 minutes I guess. Still did a restart just to be safe. Thanks dudes.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Well it eventually unfucked itself on its own after about 10 minutes I guess. Still did a restart just to be safe. Thanks dudes.

Use Sync for Reddit instead.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Skeezy posted:

Use Relay for Reddit instead.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ars has a walkthrough of the new stuff in M:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/05/hands-on-with-the-android-m-developer-preview/

A lot of it seems to be poo poo we've seen in 2.x, Jellybean, Samsung and CM before, so woo progress!

Edit: Oh gently caress, Google's UI desiners also caught the CAPS virus from Microsoft :supaburn:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 31, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Use tips.FBI.gov for reddit instead.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Use tips.FBI.gov for reddit instead.

Is this a refrence to the whole jailbait thing that happened a few years back?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Slimy Hog posted:

Is this a refrence to the whole jailbait thing that happened a few years back?
I would say so, yes.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Native multiwindow support and Now on Tap? It really felt like Google was phoning it in with versions 4.2 to 4.4 but they've been making up for it in a big way since Lollipop.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Do apps need to include support for Google's multi-window solution, or do they just work?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Apparently something that didn't get mentioned was that M will now automatically back up 25MB of app data. Obviously all you pro phone gamers aren't going to care, but that should be enough for the majority of people to preserve app settings, etc.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Do apps need to include support for Google's multi-window solution, or do they just work?

I would hope it just works, that'd be the point. It is Android we're talking about though, so it probably won't work very well until M.2.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

E: never mind, I missed part of the web page.

I haven't dicked around with firmware flashing since Cupcake and have no idea what I need to do to make it not break horribly if I install 5.1.1 on my own.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 31, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nocal posted:

Apparently something that didn't get mentioned was that M will now automatically back up 25MB of app data. Obviously all you pro phone gamers aren't going to care, but that should be enough for the majority of people to preserve app settings, etc.

I'm liking this.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

About god drat time really. Even Windows Phone 8.1 does a better job when it comes to do cloud backup of your phone's apps and settings. I keep my Lumia 925 backup always up to date and I don't fear doing factory resets because of that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Guillermus posted:

About god drat time really. Even Windows Phone 8.1 does a better job when it comes to do cloud backup of your phone's apps and settings. I keep my Lumia 925 backup always up to date and I don't fear doing factory resets because of that.

Sounds like this still doesn't take care of settings like vibrate, ringtone, notification sounds etc.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
So I guess no one is going to lament the lack of any news of a Nexus 2015? Or did I miss that in I/O somehow?

I'm reaching the point where I might actually pull the trigger on a new phone but I kind of want to wait to see what the deal is gonna be this fall, even some sort of inkling of the device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Any idea what is causing this or how to stop it? This screenshot is obviously from Link Bubble, but it happens in Steam as well, and other browsers (can't recall if Chrome has done it or not). This happens on both my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7, which throws me for a loop by the text of the error, because the N7's network pretty much never changes. If I reload, it loads the link fine. This has been happening for a few months at least. Both are on 5.1.1 now, though this was going on from 5.0.1 or so at least. I see it something like 3-4 times a week on the phone.