Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
So what cabinet position is O'Malley angling for? State? Defence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Education.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Bernie has an event here in MN tomorrow, and 3,000 goddamn people have signed up to cram into the place he's going to. I hope he gets a good showing.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 31, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

quote:

Bernie said he wants to increase to 250K and that social security is not bankrupt

Truly, this Bolshevik's lust for the blood of the wealthy knows no bounds.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Attorney General?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I had a ton of fun at the Bernie event and I need more campaigning in my life. Thank God for the Des Moines Register (pro click for those that like this crap).

Some upcoming events that I may attend and give trip reports if people don't mind:

4th of June: Donald Trump will be in my town at an open to the public event. I'm definitely going to this one.

5th of June: Lindsey Graham will be in Waterloo, Iowa. It is a possibility if things align for me.

6th of June Joni Ernst's Inaugural Roast & Ride: Rubio, Graham, Fiorina, Carson, Huckabee, Perry, and walker will all be there throughout the day. It is in Boone Iowa and will be a treasure. It is $30 per adult and frankly that is money I can donate to the Dems instead of her.

6th of June: Scott Walker will also be making a campaign fundraising stop for Chuck Grassley. The event has a yet unknown ticket price (I have to call monday). Depending on the price I may go to this instead. want

In July there is The Family Leadership Summit 2015. This event is free. I just have to register. I'll talk with the girlfriend and see if we can make a day trip out of it. This has Jindal, Huckabee, Cruz, Carson, and Santorum and would be the honeypot for me. I know a few people that love these guys and if I could get a picture with one or two I would be in heaven.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pohl posted:

It is horrible. Maybe we should send him a pizza?

I feel bad for even making that joke.

I tried to call him to give my condolences but I ended up talking to the Mayor of Boston somehow.

Jokes aside that is the worst loving thing and I feel so very bad for him. Forty Six is way too young for that poo poo.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Its disappointing that in Washington we never get anyone to come here... or when they do its a huge event with tens of thousands of people.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Jack2142 posted:

Its disappointing that in Washington we never get anyone to come here... or when they do its a huge event with tens of thousands of people.

It is one of like five things Iowa is good for. :cool:

Edit: I just remembered another guy asked about Unions and how Bernie would help strengthen them. Bernie said something about wanting to give all employees of any business the option of forming a union. If 50% plus 1 (or 51%) of employees vote yes a union will be formed.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 31, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Edit: I just remembered another guy asked about Unions and how Bernie would help strengthen them. Bernie said something about wanting to give all employees of any business the option of forming a union. If 50% plus 1 (or 51%) of employees vote yes a union will be formed.

how is this not a thing

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Aliquid posted:

how is this not a thing

http://gawker.com/walmarts-leaked-anti-union-training-video-this-isnt-ab-1705509442

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

The X-man cometh posted:

Attorney General?

Juking the stats on a Federal level.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Aliquid posted:

how is this not a thing

Because conservatives have done an absolutely outstanding job at convincing people that unions are extremely corrupt and greedy and that they are bad for job creators and therefore bad for you, while also doing everything in their power to strip unions of their bargaining rights and ability to exist.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Mr Hootington posted:

I had a ton of fun at the Bernie event and I need more campaigning in my life. Thank God for the Des Moines Register (pro click for those that like this crap).

Some upcoming events that I may attend and give trip reports if people don't mind:

4th of June: Donald Trump will be in my town at an open to the public event. I'm definitely going to this one.

5th of June: Lindsey Graham will be in Waterloo, Iowa. It is a possibility if things align for me.

6th of June Joni Ernst's Inaugural Roast & Ride: Rubio, Graham, Fiorina, Carson, Huckabee, Perry, and walker will all be there throughout the day. It is in Boone Iowa and will be a treasure. It is $30 per adult and frankly that is money I can donate to the Dems instead of her.

6th of June: Scott Walker will also be making a campaign fundraising stop for Chuck Grassley. The event has a yet unknown ticket price (I have to call monday). Depending on the price I may go to this instead. want

In July there is The Family Leadership Summit 2015. This event is free. I just have to register. I'll talk with the girlfriend and see if we can make a day trip out of it. This has Jindal, Huckabee, Cruz, Carson, and Santorum and would be the honeypot for me. I know a few people that love these guys and if I could get a picture with one or two I would be in heaven.

Oh, please do. :pray:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Probably all of the anti-union big box retailers have something like that. Friend of mine had to watch one when he got a job at Lowe's.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

sullat posted:

Probably all of the anti-union big box retailers have something like that. Friend of mine had to watch one when he got a job at Lowe's.

Best Buy makes all new hires watch one.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
Home Depot doesn't have an anti Union video, but they mention it twice in the new employee packet.

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

I once sat through a video followed by a presentation by a guy who was pretty good at working the crowd. After piling on all the evidence of how corrupt and dangerous unions can be, he mentioned that in some strikes union members have been known to jump in front of cars to stop them. This, of course, led to a bunch of the employees laughing and saying that if some union guy jumped in front of their car, they'd run right over them, while the presenter stood there with a little smile on his face. That was where they ended the meeting. I wasn't very politically aware at the time so I didn't think much of it, but looking back it was masterful work in a hosed up way.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Don't kid yourself. If a cow union boss had the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I don't remember Gamestop having any anti-union propaganda. They were just pretty upfront about the whole "If you talk about pay with your peers or mention unionization at all we'll fire you" thing. Of course, Gamestop also has virtually no full time staff outside of management, so there's that.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

bobtheconqueror posted:

I don't remember Gamestop having any anti-union propaganda. They were just pretty upfront about the whole "If you talk about pay with your peers or mention unionization at all we'll fire you" thing. Of course, Gamestop also has virtually no full time staff outside of management, so there's that.

Isn't banning the the discussion of pay illegal?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Sorus posted:

It is but HR departments everywhere will try to make you feel really lovely for talking about your pay to fellow workers. A few years ago there was a department-wide raise for graduate students in my university department, but the implementation was this weird piece-meal thing that had a lot of room for errors. One semester I did not get the normal $1000/year increase in stipend, so I inquired by asking my fellow lab mates to see if they had gotten theirs.

A couple days later I get this nasty email from the lady taking care of payroll. She told me I was acting very unprofessional because I had been discussing my measly $22k/year research stipend with the other students. I never got that piecemeal raise that semester.

e: PR is not HR.

Don Pigeon fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 31, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

In a sense, she was right, because I believe "professional" in this context means "shut up and produce for other people."

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Mr Hootington posted:

The guy that asked him what kind of insurance he had or at least that is what it sounded like. Bernie had to have his wife answer because he wasn't sure if it was Blue Cross or Blue Shield. She said it was Wellmark.

That guy followed it up with how he can want to tax the rich with a salary of 180K.

Same guy asked for Bernies autograph while he was on stage.

There was another old guy whose grandfather or great grandfather fought "Johnny Reb" and he wanted to know if he would have people around him that would tell him when he was wrong or disagree. Unlike the Bushes who had the same teams of yes men "Red groups (unsure about that part) that just want war. Included in this he said he voted against Desert Storm in his first term and thought that would cause him to lose reelection.

One lady asked a question that started with "The recent 1973 article flap..." and was a bit worried about where she was going with it. It ended up as a question about abortion and birth control that didn't actually contain "abortion" or "birth control" in it. He said he is one of the strongest women's rights supporters in the Senate.

A very nervous 18 year old asked if he would increase funding for green energy research. Bernie said yes and that he liked seeing the wind turbines in Iowa.

An actual old Vietnam veteran asked if he would help them out. Bernie got a little angry (like actual angry)about this and said the GOP (besides 2 or 3 of them) blocked an increase that he tried to do. It was the only time that Bernie actually said anything about them.

Another guy didn't really ask a question, but said he thinks Social Security Maximum taxable should be gotten rid of and that the rate should be slightly lowered to offset the increase that would come in. Bernie said he wants to increase to 250K and that social security is not bankrupt, but has like 2.7 trillion in it. Which can pay for 17 years of it.

I'm trying to remember more. There is two of the questions in the article I link at the bottom. I tuned out a couple of the questions when I couldn't understand the person that was talking.

Forgot to include that we have our bumper stickers, buttons, and T-Shirts now. All in on Bernie!

pretty entertaining stories IMO

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary is going to have an official campaign announcement that she'll announce soon, over a month after she announced her campaign.

Also, and I can't stress enough how different this situation is, Rick Perry is going to announce his campaign this week.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Between Bernie and Martin, the field is just too crowded and she's conceding. Pack it in folks.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

cbservo posted:

Home Depot doesn't have an anti Union video, but they mention it twice in the new employee packet.

Ten years ago, Kroger had a pro-Union video that said competitors paid lower wages and no benefits for worse employees and showed clips of black workers sagging as evidence of non-Union employee standards. I started at barely above minimum wage and the union fees resulted in making almost exactly minimum wage.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I went to see Bernie today and it was pretty cool. So many (~3,000) people RSVP'ed that they had to move last minute to larger venue, which was completely full by the time we got there (line to get in went five blocks) as was the designated outdoor area where they put out the speakers, so we along with many other people were leaning up against a fence to listen to him. It was loving amazing to see so many people out in support of him. I think there were way more than 3,000 people there and while he gave a pretty standard stump speech and was a little hoarse, everyone was cheering and wooping and clapping. It was pretty cool. Go see Bernie if you can.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
O'Malley campaign HQ features gender-neutral restrooms.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!

Joementum posted:

O'Malley campaign HQ features gender-neutral restrooms.

Wow I think Stockman is the only one that beats this for saddest campaign HQ.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Wow I think Stockman is the only one that beats this for saddest campaign HQ.

Ron_Paul_sitting_forlornly.jpg

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Silver Nitrate posted:

I went to see Bernie today and it was pretty cool. So many (~3,000) people RSVP'ed that they had to move last minute to larger venue, which was completely full by the time we got there (line to get in went five blocks) as was the designated outdoor area where they put out the speakers, so we along with many other people were leaning up against a fence to listen to him. It was loving amazing to see so many people out in support of him. I think there were way more than 3,000 people there and while he gave a pretty standard stump speech and was a little hoarse, everyone was cheering and wooping and clapping. It was pretty cool. Go see Bernie if you can.
Turnout was fantastic—2000-some in the gymnasium and a ton more sitting in the outdoor amphitheater. If the Hillary camp are complacent enough and we can get those who turned out today to turn out to the caucuses, the party establishment's designated heir might not have the chance she thinks she does. In Minnesota, at least.

We also had a somewhat more modest turnout for the Minnesota for Bernie meeting afterwards. Lots of people eager to get involved!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
real question, what kind of numbers are other candidates pulling for this sort of thing, or they all fundraising instead of attending local things?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sorus posted:

Yes, so document any sort of reprimands you get for discussing it and if/when they fire you for it using some kind of bullshit excuse grab a lawyer and go after them if you have worthwhile documentation that could even maybe get the court to side with you.

BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003

BristolSOF fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 16, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BristolSOF posted:

As for the Dems - Is O'Malley drawing votes Clinton, Bernie or both?

He's drawing from nobody.

BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003

BristolSOF fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 16, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BristolSOF posted:

Joementum - Can the OP be updated with announced candidates? George Pataki declared, Rick Synder declined; Jim Gilmore and Bob Ehrlich may run ( I'm not kidding)

I'll update it later maybe, but really who the gently caress cares what Pataki, Gilmore, and Ehrlich are doing?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The important question is: Is Mike Gravel running?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

BristolSOF posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but who's the guy between Kerry and Lieberman? and who's the guy behind Edwards?

The first is Bob Graham, who had no chance of winning the nomination but was in every way a more viable candidate than any of the current Republican crop.

I don't know who the second guy is, but I don't think he was a candidate.

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 31, 2015

• Locked thread