Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

mpyro posted:

Which one of these cards would pair well with a Oculus Rift or is it better to wait for the next refresh?
Running a nVidia 560 448 cores.

Might as well wait until it's out, if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

What do you give up buying the "small form factor" versions of higher-end cards like the nVidia GTX 970? I could have spent a bit more to get a much shorter card last year and with all the problems I had with installing it, breaking the SATA port of a hard drive with the back of it, and losing a bunch of data, I kind of wish I did. I'm seriously considering getting a shorty card when this card starts to show its age in a few years, coolers for the full-sized ones have gotten too long and too bulky.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

mpyro posted:

Which one of these cards would pair well with a Oculus Rift or is it better to wait for the next refresh?
Running a nVidia 560 448 cores.

If you are waiting until the rift comes out, the answer is "whatever the mid range card that is out when the rift is released." It could still be the 970. It probably will still be the 970. Unless there is a ti version by then.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

If you are waiting until the rift comes out, the answer is "whatever the mid range card that is out when the rift is released." It could still be the 970. It probably will still be the 970. Unless there is a ti version by then.

It's coming out in 2016. I would hope there would be something better by then. If not better, at least cheaper.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So with the inevitable release of windows 10 and DirectX 12, will we need to buy new video cards or will dx11 GPUs be forward compatible with DX12 feature sets?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SlayVus posted:

So with the inevitable release of windows 10 and DirectX 12, will we need to buy new video cards or will dx11 GPUs be forward compatible with DX12 feature sets?

Any game coming out for a long rear end time after dx12 comes out will have a dx11 code path at the least.

Hell, are there any games right now that actually require dx11?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
^^ quite a few now, but it took us several years to get there after DX11's release.

Woolie Wool posted:

What do you give up buying the "small form factor" versions of higher-end cards like the nVidia GTX 970? I could have spent a bit more to get a much shorter card last year and with all the problems I had with installing it, breaking the SATA port of a hard drive with the back of it, and losing a bunch of data, I kind of wish I did. I'm seriously considering getting a shorty card when this card starts to show its age in a few years, coolers for the full-sized ones have gotten too long and too bulky.

You get a slightly smaller overhead with regards to overclocking potential since there's less metal and fewer fans working to get heat off of the die.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 31, 2015

konna
Aug 1, 2005

Stoopid question about dx12: Does upgrading a graphics card basically turn into a system where you keep your previous card and just plug in the new one until you run out of pcie slots (or power or pcie link width etc...)?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

DOOP posted:

Yeah, I''ll probably end up with the 970 eventually, but I was just curious

For what it's worth, the 290X generally beats it at higher resolutions, but since performance is still far from ideal, the sweet spot still ends up being the 970 for a handful of other reasons.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

konna posted:

Stoopid question about dx12: Does upgrading a graphics card basically turn into a system where you keep your previous card and just plug in the new one until you run out of pcie slots (or power or pcie link width etc...)?

Pentium OverDrive(tm)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Buying a 970 today: good idea, bad idea? Money for anything more powerful is out of the question.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

LiquidRain posted:

Buying a 970 today: good idea, bad idea? Money for anything more powerful is out of the question.

Depends on if you're willing to wait another month or so. AMD is gonna introduce a new lineup at E3, presumably rehashes of their old stuff but if they're competitively priced it could lead to Nvidia dropping their prices.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

LiquidRain posted:

Hmmm, I'd wait a bit if possible, with the 980Ti coming out soon we don't know if we will see prices change on things. I doubt the 970 would see any price drop, but if the 980 does get one as is rumored then who knows?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Any game coming out for a long rear end time after dx12 comes out will have a dx11 code path at the least.

Hell, are there any games right now that actually require dx11?

Any hardware that is DX11 compatible will be DX12 compatible. There are various optional features in DX12 that require hardware support however. So you will be able to run any DX12 games, but you might miss out on some shinies or performance enhancements.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Weren't a lot of features for DX12 available for HD 5000 and Geforce 400 cards, such as most of the performance enhancements regarding GPU/CPU core communication? Or am I mistaking this for Vulkan?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Wait for tomorrow.. Could be a price drop.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

konna posted:

Not really. That sort of setup needs to be supported on an engine-by-engine basis, and I doubt most devs will bother since it introduces so much complexity for a niche use-case.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

FaustianQ posted:

Weren't a lot of features for DX12 available for HD 5000
AMD isn't adding new features for older non-GCN GPU's. Their VLIW based GPU's get bug fixes and are in legacy support mode now.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Got a question which I need answering. I decided to update my drivers on my 760 today for The Witcher 3, and did so. As soon as those drivers updated, my main monitor stopped being detected by my PC, and I have no idea to make it recognise it. I went through all of the menus I had used in the past to get monitors working and all that, and no dice. Then there is one thing I had never used, the Nvidia Control Panel, which is what I suspect to be the cause of my issues, which won't run at all. I click it, and it doesn't launch anything. What did I do wrong and how do I fix it? I assume it is something to do with my GPU and their drivers, since immediately after updating it everything went to poo poo.

Fwiw, when I used to go to the resolution menu you could reach from right clicking on the desktop, it used to display my main monitor (a Dell U2312HM or something like that) and my secondary monitor (my TV), but now it just displays the TV and "Display Device on VGA", the latter of which does nothing. My monitor isn't even connected on a VGA, it is on a DVI-D.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
http://videocardz.com/55786/nvidia-launches-geforce-gtx-980-ti-for-649-usd

Doesn't look like any changes to the reference PCB over the Titan X. Go hog wild with your waterblocks/brackets/hybrid AIO sets.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

http://videocardz.com/55786/nvidia-launches-geforce-gtx-980-ti-for-649-usd

Doesn't look like any changes to the reference PCB over the Titan X. Go hog wild with your waterblocks/brackets/hybrid AIO sets.

Hell yeah 649, what a deal. That owns

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 31, 2015

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

This certainly makes the 980ti look quite appealing. Performance equal to the titan x in most situations.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2433246

Here is the first page of the review site.
http://vga.zol.com.cn/522/5229872.html

I know I am tempted to make it my next upgrade. I hope AMD puts out some juicy info to help stay my credit card.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 31, 2015

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

KakerMix posted:

Oof. And the 980 officially down to $499. As much as I've had AMD/ATI cards since the GF4 days, they just got punched in the gut. Again.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

KakerMix posted:

With two new games it makes it 529.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Forbes broke NDA?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/05/31/nvidias-new-gtx-980-ti-delivers-titan-x-level-performance-for-350-less/

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Forbes 'contributors' is like a blog site that's mildly curated at best.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
At least this stops the 50 dollar markup everyone has on the 980. I don't know that I'd spring for the extra 150 for 30% more performance in a ti model..I haven't had anything stress it at 2650x1600/60 so far.

I wonder what the next series is named..1080?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

zer0spunk posted:

At least this stops the 50 dollar markup everyone has on the 980. I don't know that I'd spring for the extra 150 for 30% more performance in a ti model..I haven't had anything stress it at 2650x1600/60 so far.

"4K," probably, with an "X" or "Ti" added for the enthusiast parts. "1080" would be ~so~ 2012.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If the 980ti is available immediately at 649 wonder if amd will release earlier.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"4K," probably, with an "X" or "Ti" added for the enthusiast parts. "1080" would be ~so~ 2012.

Nvidia titan zx spectrum

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

I guess so since it has already been taken down. I'm buying the heck out of that day one. Exactly what I need to get over the performance hump I'm facing at 3440x1440. The Titan would have been overkill.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

zer0spunk posted:

Please be One.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

They already did four digits, then three, so the next cards will obviously be the GTX 17 and GTX 18.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

Nvidia titan zx spectrum

Would buy.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

https://youtu.be/3yJdxKAnnDg

Actual benchmarks from some random youtuber who has one

Roughly 8-10% slower than titan x.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

No need for shady sources or translated reviews anymore. The NDA is up and the results are pretty much as expected.

http://techreport.com/review/28356/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-graphics-card-reviewed

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review

Mean ol' Nvidia might get my money this time around.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Glad i sold my 780ti last week. Feel bad for all the 980 buyers. Probably looking at $350 used 980s now.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
....so who has the best cooling solution on the green team these days? I'm quite willing to spend a few bucks extra to get a model that doesn't sound like a dustbuster, but probably am not (quite) ready to jump into full-on watercooling unless it's not much of a price jump.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DrDork posted:

....so who has the best cooling solution on the green team these days? I'm quite willing to spend a few bucks extra to get a model that doesn't sound like a dustbuster, but probably am not (quite) ready to jump into full-on watercooling unless it's not much of a price jump.

MSi for air coolers, EVGA for their new Hybrid units

Though a number of companies are debuting 3 fan solutions for TI including asus with a new DirectCU iii

EDIT: looks like Titan X and 980ti are both fully DX12 compliant. 980 and below are not.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

sauer kraut posted:

Forbes 'contributors' is like a blog site that's mildly curated at best.

That contributor in particular (Jason Evangelho) is a moron, he has literally contributed "how to mine litecoin with your GPU" articles to Forbes.