Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

johnny sack posted:

I just bought a New 3DS last night. I got around to opening it and playing with it a bit today. So far, I have been unable to do anything.

I did the initial setup, and the wifi on this thing appears to be awful. I was in a room in my house that is directly above where my wireless router is. I have other wireless devices that are farther away than this 3DS, including my Wii U, smart TV, phones, etc. All of them get excellent wifi signal. But this 3DS kept having issues connecting to the internet.

I finally went downstairs literally 5 feet from the router, direct line of sight, and it's barely better. I have been able to get into the e-Store once after many attempts. I get any number of different error codes, all of which Nintendo says, "The Nintendo eShop is currently unavaialble. Please try again later." However, I'll check the status and it's always up.

So far, I am probably going to return this thing. I don't have any interest in buying physical copies of games. My plan was to buy MicroSD cards and play from those, but I have been unable to access the e-Store.

What gives? Is there something I'm missing? I was able to finally download a System Update, after about 10 failed attempts.
Uhhh, yeah. That's not normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Oh well. I'll return it and order one from Best Buy online. I bought it in-store, whereas the exact same thing online comes with a free carrying case. I'll give it one more chance on another unit and hope for the best.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man, the 3D in Xenoblade just isn't really thrilling me.

Having the game again, in handheld form, with better controls, however, IS thrilling me. So that's cool.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

How large are most downloaded games? Is 64gb MicroSD card sufficient?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

johnny sack posted:

How large are most downloaded games? Is 64gb MicroSD card sufficient?

32gb is honestly all you'll ever need

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
64gb SD cards do work, but it'll only use up 32 gigs, so you want to just get that one.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Dr. Fetus posted:

64gb SD cards do work, but it'll only use up 32 gigs, so you want to just get that one.

Then format it on something that isn't Windows.

Or with fat32format.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Then format it on something that isn't Windows.

Or with fat32format.

Can you explain this further? I'd rather get the 64gb as the price is just barely more. I have no idea what you mean, but I'm sure I could do it with minimal guidance.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dr. Fetus posted:

This is incorrect. I have a 64 in mine and it reads the entire thing, no problem.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

johnny sack posted:

Can you explain this further? I'd rather get the 64gb as the price is just barely more. I have no idea what you mean, but I'm sure I could do it with minimal guidance.

Windows' built in formatting system artificially limits Fat32 partitions to 32GB, and Nintendo didn't license whatever format SDXC uses so you have to download a third party program to format the 64GB and above cards.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

This is incorrect. I have a 64 in mine and it reads the entire thing, no problem.

Same.

64gb is more than likely far more than I'll ever need...but I don't want to ever have to delete anything.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SDXC using ExFAT is Microsoft's fault, because Windows tools block formatting partitions of 32 GiB or larger to FAT32 because A) This was a time when they were trying to push people to XP, an NTFS-native OS (from 98 and (ugh) ME, FAT32-native OSes), and B) juicy royalties on ExFAT, not a bad guess by Microsoft (albeit a scummy one) until the Cloud became a thing.

So even though there's no physical reason for SDXC to even exist, there's a different name for the thing that was made to appease a greedy company's 85% adoption rate.

fat32format (and the GUI option there) lets you format large volumes as FAT32 on Windows.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 31, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh whoops, I must have been mixing that up for something else. Sorry.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Getting 64GB for your 3DS is essentially saying you will never buy another physical game ever in your life.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

Getting 64GB for your 3DS is essentially saying you will never buy another physical game ever in your life.

I'm not seeing any problem there. I still had to keep track of my storage with 32GB and delete a few games already (the two Resident Evil games plus a bunch of demos) to make room for things.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah, didn't mean it as a negative; just that it's a lot of space and if you plan on buying physical occasionally, it's a bit more than overkill.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is this official

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
So what's the scoop on this "Lord of Manga Magna" game? Amazon was suggesting that I preorder it (and Senran Kagura) when I went to check EO: Untold 2's release date, and it looks like a turn-based ARPG, which has me moderately interested.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's the game that the Rune Factory devs started working on before they went bankrupt, and then their publisher hired a few of the former employees to quickly wrap up development so that they could ship something out. I haven't heard much about it, but what I did hear made it sounds pretty shallow and mediocre.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

epitasis posted:

is this official

In Japan, yes.

C.M. Kruger posted:

So what's the scoop on this "Lord of Manga Magna" game? Amazon was suggesting that I preorder it (and Senran Kagura) when I went to check EO: Untold 2's release date, and it looks like a turn-based ARPG, which has me moderately interested.

Former Rune Factory people make a new game, but it turns out to be just fanservice with anime elves and a bad SRPG glued in.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is there a Nakamura theme

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Saoshyant posted:

In Japan, yes.

Former Rune Factory people make a new game, but it turns out to be just fanservice with anime elves and a bad SRPG glued in.

AKA taint reaper's GOTY

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

C.M. Kruger posted:

It mostly got attention for being the last game by the Rune Factory team, released after Neverland's bankrupcy. From what I've heard you can kinda tell it was finished by an undead team that was already in the process of dissolving; for starters there aren't actually any life sim elements despite the premise.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm still pretty bummed about Neverland closing. RF4 did well enough that they had already greenlit another entry a few months after it came out in Japan, but then the company went bust for some reason.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Well that's a shame. The premise of a turn-based ARPG combined with life-sim stuff sounded pretty cool.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Dehry posted:

I'm not seeing any problem there. I still had to keep track of my storage with 32GB and delete a few games already (the two Resident Evil games plus a bunch of demos) to make room for things.

:stare: Jesus. I thought I had an absurd amount of games on mine and I don't even approach 32 gb. Do you own all of them?!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
I had to upgrade to 64gb since my 32gb card was finally running out of space.

... It is me! I am the idiot who downloads all the games and don't care about the potential negatives to my digital purchases! :negative:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am going to be without internet or access to american stores for 3 or 4 months. I am looking for recommendations on 3ds titles that give a decent return in hours of playtime. I have considered Fantasy Life and Rune Factory 4 since my wife and I enjoy Animal Crossing so much. How long does it take for Rune Factory to pick up? I watched a couple of let's play videos and it looked super anime and cheesy as hell. Maybe I didn't watch long enough but, despite people saying it's great, it didn't really look like it'd grab me.

Right now I am heading out with:

Mario Golf
Xenoblade
Etrian Odyssey IV
Bravely Default
Shovel Knight
Zelda Link Between Worlds
Ocarina of Time

I am not opposed to branching into other genres and mostly listed what I have to save people from recommending any of it.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I am going to be without internet or access to american stores for 3 or 4 months. I am looking for recommendations on 3ds titles that give a decent return in hours of playtime. I have considered Fantasy Life and Rune Factory 4 since my wife and I enjoy Animal Crossing so much. How long does it take for Rune Factory to pick up? I watched a couple of let's play videos and it looked super anime and cheesy as hell. Maybe I didn't watch long enough but, despite people saying it's great, it didn't really look like it'd grab me.

Mario Golf
Xenoblade
Etrian Odyssey IV
Bravely Default
Shovel Knight
Ocarina of Time

I am not opposed to branching into other genres and mostly listed what I have to save people from recommending any of it.

Monster Hunter can give you a ton of playtime if it clicks for you.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Mario Golf
Xenoblade
Etrian Odyssey IV
Bravely Default
Shovel Knight
Ocarina of Time

I am contractually obligated due to my love of SMT games to recommend that you get a copy of SMT IV. Etrian Mystery Dungeon is a good choice too. Other than that it's a very solid list of 3ds games to bring with you.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

One (all) of the Pushmo series.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

boz posted:

Monster Hunter can give you a ton of playtime if it clicks for you.

Seconding this, I have 160hrs logged and my friend has 290 and we're probably about halfway through, although to be fair we're taking it slow and wasting a lot of time farming random weapons and vanity sets. (Actually, looking at your thread-history you probably already have this)

Rune Factory is the most anime game, it even has a sung theme at the beginning, but if you can live with that then it's all good and it starts reasonably quick.

The Phoenix Wright games were on sale a while back, they're pretty good.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

Well that's a shame. The premise of a turn-based ARPG combined with life-sim stuff sounded pretty cool.

#FE, man. :shepface:

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Speaking of MH, looks a DX version of Monster Hunter Diary got announced for 3DS in September at a private event in Japan. It's supposedly kinda like Animal Crossing, and it'll have a bunch of collab stuff with Mario, Animal Crossing and Gude-tama. I can only guess all of this'll be in the Direct, though.

edit: And also another game called Monster Hunter X. Sounds like more monster hunting, but cooler and flashier.

Champeenship fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 31, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I haven't played any more than the Awakening demo but does Fire Emblem normally have city building in it? Cause the footage of If showed some of that.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

I haven't played any more than the Awakening demo but does Fire Emblem normally have city building in it? Cause the footage of If showed some of that.

Nope. Building your own castle, walking around in it, and having Streetpass battles are entirely new things. Well, sorta, you could walk around towns in Fire Emblem 2, but no one cares about that game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A couple of potential E3 spoilers? Not that there's any huge mega announcements.

Wow, an actual Chibi Robo game coming to 3DS. Although it seems to be more of a side scrolling game.

Also yet another Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. This is coming to america btw.

A port of Dr. Mario/Luigi from WiiWare/WiiU to 3DS. I would assume this is coming to America.

YET ANOTHER MARIO AND SONIC AT THE OLYMPICS. This time however, SOCCER. (super strikers anyone?) Also, beach volleyball, golf, rugby, ping pong, gymnastics, track & field, etc. This is coming to America for sure.

Japan seems to be getting more Wii Classics including Mario Galaxy 1, Pandora's Tower, Last Story, Hospital, Donkey Kong Country Returns, etc. Not sure why NA is getting the short end of the straw here oh wait they always do heeeehhhhhhhhhh. But seriously they will probably announce the next wave of Wii Classics for NA at E3.

New Wii U IP by Bandai-Namco called Project Treasure, a 4-player co-op third person action game, footage showed exploring a pyramid, fighting mummies and zombies. You'll see more at E3.

uh some sort of cat game by From Software for 3DS? (couple posts down says it's Monster Hunter Diary)

Monster Hunter X-Cross announced for 3DS. I think I recognized one area from Freedom Unite. I'm not a Monster Hunter nerd so someone will have to watch and see for themselves.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 31, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Um holy poo poo new monster hunter

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hello here are some games well bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ghetto summary:

-Morimoto!
-Dragon Quest 8 (3DS) trailer/overview, out August 27.
-Super Robot Wars BX (3DS) trailer/overview
-Downloadable cat... thing? (3DS eShop), out now, 719yen
-Fire Emblem if (3DS) overview, covers version differences, new system changes (town building!), Amiibo support
-Rhythm Tengoku The Best Plus (3DS) - something
-Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer (3DS) out late July 30 for 4000yen, bundle with NFC reader 5000yen, N3DS XL bundle, N3DS faceplates, NFC reader standalone. Amiibo cards: 3 for 400yen.
-Famicom Remix Best Choice (3DS), I guess they don't have this yet? Didn't notice. Out 27 August, 3800yen.
-Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon (3DS), 4700yen
-Chibi Robo action-platformer! (3DS) Looks kinda like Umihara Kawase?! Maybe not, but still looks fun! 2015
-CHIBI ROBO AMIIBO
-Dr. Mario (3DS), playable vertically (book-style) or horizontally. Different modes, online/download play, 880yen
-Mario & Sonic Rio 2016 Olympics (Wii U/3DS), not seeing any Sonic Boom characters... the rugby sevens game looks fun!
-Super Mario Galaxy coming to Wii DL, other Wii DL games 30% off, Punch-Out & Trauma Team dated.
-Yoshi's Wooly World (Wii U) overview, pattern/amiibo features, etc. July 16, 5800yen, yarn amiibo 1800yen each.
-Smash amiibo dates/prices (Bowser Jr, Dr. Mario, Olimar)
-Project Treasure (Wii U eShop) trailer, Bandai-Namco, f2p action-rpg/loot game. "Next info Summer 2015". Barely any footage.
-Monster Hunter Diary : Pokapoka Felyne Village DX (3DS, Capcom/From Software), Monhun Felynes x Animal Crossing, I guess? Nintendo collab gear. September 10.
-Monster Hunter X (3DS). Monhun but FAST! Not quite character action but definitely a lot flashier. 2015.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 31, 2015