Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Enhedslisten will pretty much agree to anything if it rolls back the dagpengeshit from 2011.

also gotta say real quick here: the only election promises that R or O have managed to push thtorugh are racist bullshits. a slight amount of urine too, but mostly just racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

:lol: Conservatives are gonna get loving murdered at the polls. They just can't stop making a fool of themselves.

http://politik.tv2.dk/valg2015/2015-05-28-kuer-afsloerer-manipulerende-kampagne-ved-en-fejl

Foulbrood posted:

Danish election shenanigans:
http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Politik/Valg2015/Artikler/2015/05/29/212512.htm

Socialitisk Folkeparti and DF joining hands on renegotiating the unemployment benefit reforms introduced by the former government and amended by the current one (iirc)

Cats and dogs sleeping together!

edit: Apparently with approval from Enhedslisten :psyboom:

This is good, though. Only concern is that DF will back out later. They were the ones to push through the cuts in the first place, after all.

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!

SplitSoul posted:

:lol: Conservatives are gonna get loving murdered at the polls. They just can't stop making a fool of themselves.

http://politik.tv2.dk/valg2015/2015-05-28-kuer-afsloerer-manipulerende-kampagne-ved-en-fejl

This is good, though. Only concern is that DF will back out later. They were the ones to push through the cuts in the first place, after all.
Doubt Thulesen Dahl is going to honor anything in that agreement if Løkke becomes prime minister.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Foulbrood posted:

Doubt Thulesen Dahl is going to honor anything in that agreement if Løkke becomes prime minister.

Well, obviously, but then we're no worse off on that front and their hypocrisy can be used against them.

Also: http://www.information.dk/telegram/534906

Now watch the Social Democrats gently caress this up spectacularly.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

If the right wins this election the age of criminal responsibility is being lowered to 12.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

If the right wins this election the age of criminal responsibility is being lowered to 12.

Didn't think organised crime of all fields was in need of rationalisations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SplitSoul posted:

http://www.clickhole.com/article/ready-feel-old-kids-born-2001-are-already-getting--2416?fb_ref=Default

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Our libertarian party's spokesman on the climate is an anthropogenic climate change denier, and he want to drop all Danish governmental efforts to mitigate climate change. We also can't trust the IPCC because they won't include climate change deniers you see :pseudo:

http://www.information.dk/534714

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

sometimes i question my party-political loyalty, either due to hypocrisy or incompetence or corruption or some other distasteful attribute

then i look at the other guys and i'm like "ahaha, thanks for playing"

it is good to remember, i think, that politicians are selected based on a skillset that rewards neither the virtuous nor the skilled statesman, and that you cannot expect any politician to actually be competent at anything other than backstabbing, populism and intrigue. i recall the first time i realised that i was much better informed on an issue than a sitting parliamentarian on the relevant committee. it was a lovely feeling to get as a fifteen-year-old

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think you might be projecting just a little too much House of Cards on party politics. I won't deny that what you're talking about happens but most of the times it isn't so much intrigue as it is just straight up school yard bullying. (see Håkan Juholt) Most of the representative positions in the system are unglamorous, poorly compensated and require a lot of off the hours work. As such, when you start getting to the sought after poo poo its mostly distributed based on seniority, previous merit, family ties or just straight up luck. (or monetary contributions in certain right-wing parties) It's a miracle that its functioning as well it does at all.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
I wouldn't overanalyze the Juholt affair. S was in panic mode because of the media storm against the supposed fraud involving Juholts housing benefits. It turned out to be a bunch of bullshit of course, but it didn't stop the voters from groaning with frustration at another suspected cheater in S. This was just after Sahlin had resigned with the "toblerone scandal" in her baggage I might add. Needless to say the whole thing was handled pretty poorly by S and the media certainly helped blow it out of proportion. As much as I liked Juholt's speaking ability and rethoric I think Stefan Löfven has proven himself to be a far more shrewd leader, and that's useful. Especially in these times.

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 31, 2015

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

I wouldn't overanalyze the Juholt affair. S was in panic mode because of the media storm against the supposed fraud involving Juholts housing benefits. It turned out to be a bunch of bullshit of course, but it didn't stop the voters from groaning with frustration at another suspected cheater in S. This was just after Sahlin had resigned with the "toblerone scandal" in her baggage I might add. Needless to say the whole thing was handled pretty poorly by S and the media certainly helped blow it out of proportion. As much as I liked Juholt's speaking ability and rethoric I think Stefan Löfven has proven himself to be a far more shrewd leader, and that's useful. Especially in these times.

If Sahlin had only bought Toblerone, it would have probably blown over pretty well.
All things considered, she came out of it with a continuing career and is actually become more sensible nowadays as national coordinator versus political extremism.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EevVYhHw8uA

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

so Snowden just won the Bjørnson prize and is invited by the Bjørnson foundation to come to Norway to receive it

no legal technicalities prevent him from coming - he has no passport, but there are ways around that in Norwegian law. What might prevent him from coming is the possibility of extradition to the United States, however

SV has finally found something they can really own and is now loudly agitating for a state guarantee of safety for Snowden while he comes to collect the prize. the government is being very quiet and is hoping that this issue is going to go away by itself. let's see if it will

e. oh, and "temporary armament" of the police has been extended. again. gently caress you, anders anundsen

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

V. Illych L. posted:

e. oh, and "temporary armament" of the police has been extended. again. gently caress you, anders anundsen

That's actually fairly surprising, that there isn't a hiccup along the way somehow.
As long as the state wants it, they can just sneakily extend it as long as they want?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

So it seems. The provision is made so the authorities have the power to act in the case of emergency, and nobody thought to place a hard cap on it, presumably because of course it won't be used to blatantly circumvent the parliamentary process in times of peace

oh wait

I mean, it's not a winning issue for them popularity-wise (or politically - this kind of thing gets them very few friends), and they already suffered a major defeat when they tried to push it through parliament on a permanent basis, so I'm guessing that they're seeing this primarily as an opportunity to acclimatise the Norwegian people to seeing guns in the hands of police on a day-to-day basis to make it seem less foreign or w/e

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 2, 2015

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
lol temporary = 10+ months. Reason = undisclosed threats

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Don't worry, they'll institute a court to decide on the veracity of the treaty, secret courts. :911:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Atal Vataman posted:

lol temporary = 10+ months. Reason = undisclosed threats

this extension lasts until August, so we'll have a full year! yay

and the reason is the "heightened security risk in europe" they are using CH and Krudttønnen as justification for this bullshit

the reason CH was hit is because they don't have armed police in France, you see

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Sure wish the opposition would protest against this bullshit quite a bit louder...

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Back To 99 posted:

Sure wish the opposition would protest against this bullshit quite a bit louder...

it's very risky to be too vocal about this poo poo, because there could be something specific at any given time, and just outright accusing a sitting minister of lying is... very bad form. even when that minister is a proven liar like Anundsen

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
i assume this government is going to keep the police temporarily armed for as long as they manage to stay in power. Temporary armament will end the day AP reclaims the government offices. Who am I kidding? temp armament will last until the day i die

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Atal Vataman posted:

i assume this government is going to keep the police temporarily armed for as long as they manage to stay in power. Temporary armament will end the day AP reclaims the government offices. Who am I kidding? temp armament will last until the day i die

temporary armament will last until someone decides they can buy something with permanent armament

at the moment everyone is pissed off at the government for this, though, so i doubt it's going to pass during this parliament.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
konkurranseutsett politiet

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

V. Illych L. posted:

so Snowden just won the Bjørnson prize and is invited by the Bjørnson foundation to come to Norway to receive it

no legal technicalities prevent him from coming - he has no passport, but there are ways around that in Norwegian law. What might prevent him from coming is the possibility of extradition to the United States, however

SV has finally found something they can really own and is now loudly agitating for a state guarantee of safety for Snowden while he comes to collect the prize. the government is being very quiet and is hoping that this issue is going to go away by itself. let's see if it will

Snowden would be stupid to come even with a gurantee. This goverment "aims to please" when it comes to Washington, gurantees can be revoked or "misunderstood" and before you know it he`s on a CIA plane heading to blacksite in Saudi Arabia. Besides given our inept police it could be dangerous for him. Just remeber the Malala debacle. The people who want Snowden gone or silent have a lot more resources at their disposal then the Taliban do.

SV may own this but will labour and the centre want to join? Garh Støre does not strike me as someone who wants to give Obama the finger. Labour always struck me 90% as Washington friendly as the Conservatives. They are just as complicit with Norway`s eager participation in NSAs massive surveillance. Venstre probably wants him to come, KRF i am less sure of.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Are there many instances of police violence and excessive use of firearms by them in Scandinavian countries?

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

quote:

– Det er ingen tvil om at norsk politi skal være ubevæpnet i en normalsituasjon. I den nye politiinstruksen som vi legger fram før nyttår skal politiet fortsatt være ubevæpnet, sier Anundsen.

I like how the last 7 months have been out of the ordinarytm

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

OhYeah posted:

Are there many instances of police violence and excessive use of firearms by them in Scandinavian countries?

Found this report (in english) from the danish police about the use of police firearms between 1996 and 2006. It is a bit outdated, but I've not seen or heard anything about an extreme rise in incidents since. It claims norwegian and swedish incident rates were even lower in the same period.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
We have few incidents because the police traditionally have been unarmed. That seems to be ending now, and is why people are upset

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

OhYeah posted:

There's always something of course, but it's about as rare as you could hope for it seems. I don't know about the rest of Scandinavia, but here in Norway there's very rarely anyone killed by the police. The "police abuses" we hear about in the media are generally just people getting locked up for ages without being convicted of anything ("varetekt"), but that's at least partially because the courts are too slow.

I don't really see the need to arm the police constantly though, they seem to have managed just fine with the old arrangement of having guns locked away in their cars. Here's an article listing all the police officers killed between 1945-2010: http://www.dagbladet.no/2010/03/04/nyheter/innenriks/drap/politiet/10698875/

7 police officers killed between 1990 and 2010, and there's maybe one that would have had a better chance of surviving if he were armed (and I doubt even that).

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Atal Vataman posted:

So let me get this straight, you Norwegians are upset because you have an temporarily armed police?
Hello first world problem.

I am sort of surprised if I see police that is not armed.
Worst case, the policemen I saw in the Philippines with assault rifles, sniper rifles and machine guns.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

Cardiac posted:

So let me get this straight, you Norwegians are upset because you have an temporarily armed police?
Hello first world problem.

I am sort of surprised if I see police that is not armed.
Worst case, the policemen I saw in the Philippines with assault rifles, sniper rifles and machine guns.

um, i'm still not used to seeing armed cops. it creeps me out in some way. armed cops says something about what kind of society we live in/what kind of society we want to live in.

I assume you don't find it concerning that our government just circumvented parliament's decision that we should not have an armed police force, by indefinitely arming them "temporarily"?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I was shocked and kinda uncomfortable when I saw Danish police blocking bridges and carrying MP5's when Obama was in Copenhagen for the Olympic comittee thing a few years back. It's definitely not something I'd want on a regular basis so I can definitely see why Norwegians are pissed off about it.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Atal Vataman posted:

um, i'm still not used to seeing armed cops. it creeps me out in some way. armed cops says something about what kind of society we live in/what kind of society we want to live in.

I assume you don't find it concerning that our government just circumvented parliament's decision that we should not have an armed police force, by indefinitely arming them "temporarily"?

I am not overly concerned about an armed police, a gun is in the end just a tool and should only be used in very particular circumstances, after proper training.
As for armed police, earlier this spring we had armed police with submachine guns guarding Jewish schools against threats after the shooting in Copenhagen.
Considering the amount of illegal firearms in Sweden/Denmark having an armed police makes sense for very obvious reasons.
I guess you should be happy in Norway that you find this situation new, since it says a lot about your country.

As for your parliament, they seem rather naive. Then again, we are talking about the same parliament that gave Obama the peace price in the start of his presidency, so go figure.
What is the motivation from your ruling coalition for arming the police temporarily? I understand the parliament have voted against it, but I assume the ruling coalition have some motivations for wanting an armed police?

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

Cardiac posted:

we are talking about the same parliament that gave Obama the peace price in the start of his presidency

this is utterly wrong.

the reason for indefinite temporary armament is: "undisclosed general threats" or "skjerpet trusselbilde".

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Atal Vataman posted:

this is utterly wrong.

the reason for indefinite temporary armament is: "undisclosed general threats" or "skjerpet trusselbilde".

How?
He was elected in 2009 and was awarded the peace prize in 2009, and the Nobel committee behind it consists of parliamentary members, selected to represent the different factions in the parliament.

As for the indefinite armament, undisclosed general threats is as good as any reason. Reasons behind these judgements are commonly not made public.
But I can agree it is a lovely way of upholding it, but Norway is hardly going to do V for Vendetta any time soon, so I don't know what you are afraid of.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Cardiac posted:

How?
He was elected in 2009 and was awarded the peace prize in 2009.

As for the indefinite armament, undisclosed general threats is as good as any reason. Reasons behind these judgements are commonly not made public.
But I can agree it is a lovely way of upholding it, but Norway is hardly going to do V for Vendetta any time soon, so I don't know what you are afraid of.

The Nobel committee is an independent organization.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cardiac posted:

How?
He was elected in 2009 and was awarded the peace prize in 2009, and the Nobel committee behind it consists of parliamentary members, selected to represent the different factions in the parliament.

it's not the parliament doing this

the whole reason this is so egregious is because it's so blatantly circumventing parliament, which has in fact voted against general armament of norwegian police recently

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Cardiac posted:

How?

For one, parliament does not award the peace price, a committee does. One of the rules for this committee is that active parliamentarians cannot sit on it. Even if there was a connection, it would be to the previous parliament, not the current one (we had elections in 2013).

e: also the above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

Cardiac posted:

How?
He was elected in 2009 and was awarded the peace prize in 2009.

Basically everything you said is wrong? The parliament does not give out the peace price + even if they were, there has been a parliament election since 2009. Failing to see the differences between parliament and an independent committee is the bullshit reason china has been using to give us a cold shoulder for the last five years. Its wilful ignorance on both your and china's part

Parliament says: "Permanent armament shall not be the norm". Police stay armed for a full year with no reason given. The last year has surely been exceptional. I don't see anything that separates the last 8 months or whatever from "the norm".

• Locked thread