Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Manuel Calavera posted:

It's probably a safer job overall than being a cook! Knowing nothing about the injury rates for both industries, I'd still say that. Just based on my experience as a cook.

Probably true.

I finally found that Dawson Mine high voltage arc flash re-enactment video. It's OSHA.mov as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXU0jiBQfG0

The solution gets more and more convoluted as the video goes on, especially when they drill and tap holes to install bolts to hold the spring tension when removing the circuit breaker operating mechanism and then try to pry it off the assembly. :cripes: :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Three-Phase posted:

Probably true.

I finally found that Dawson Mine high voltage arc flash re-enactment video. It's OSHA.mov as hell.

The solution gets more and more convoluted as the video goes on, especially when they drill and tap holes to install bolts to hold the spring tension when removing the circuit breaker operating mechanism and then try to pry it off the assembly. :cripes: :psyduck:

"They believed their training and experience would see them through. Sadly, they were wrong."

:stare:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Ah, Russia.gif!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Lay 'er down!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

i choose to believe that the video stops there because the truck runs over his bike and stops and the rider just bumps up against the back wheels and nothing else happens

as opposed to "the driver slid between the still-moving back tires of the truck and had his skull crushed"

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ursine Asylum posted:

i choose to believe that the video stops there because the truck runs over his bike and stops and the rider just bumps up against the back wheels and nothing else happens

as opposed to "the driver slid between the still-moving back tires of the truck and had his skull crushed"

yaaaay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8DyLXayR5M

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

DUde didn't even try and brake. The gently caress man?

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

Probably true.

Why doesn't gear like this with physical disconnects have a visual inspection window? Tiny bit of added cost and the possibility of dirt getting into the mechanism?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

VendaGoat posted:

DUde didn't even try and brake. The gently caress man?

Actually he did, but what he did was grab a whole fistful of front brake. What he should have done was smoothly apply it, and if traction broke release immediately and reapply. It's something that needs to be practiced to be done well, or just get a bike with ABS cause gently caress all that.

If someone ever tells you they had to, "Lay her down", this is exactly what they did.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Bondematt posted:

Actually he did, but what he did was grab a whole fistful of front brake. What he should have done was smoothly apply it, and if traction broke release immediately and reapply. It's something that needs to be practiced to be done well, or just get a bike with ABS cause gently caress all that.

If someone ever tells you they had to, "Lay her down", this is exactly what they did.

You're more observant than me. To me it's less than a second from the head check right to the lay down.

As for what you are saying. Yah I drive a cruiser. I get it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

Probably true.

Why didn't they think to consult the manual on days one or two?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

RandomPauI posted:

Why didn't they think to consult the manual on days one or two?

Their supervisor did check the manual, he also checked online and called the manufacturer without success.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Bondematt posted:

Doesnt look like he braked at all to me.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Their supervisor did check the manual, he also checked online and called the manufacturer without success.

He did that on day three though and decided to just throw untested fixes at it instead of scheduling a service call.

In my personal opinion a person should always have copies of their manuals readily accessible whether they're working mass care, feeding, client casework. There's no reason for that not to apply to electricians working with high voltage equipment.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

VendaGoat posted:

You're more observant than me. To me it's less than a second from the head check right to the lay down.

As for what you are saying. Yah I drive a cruiser. I get it.

JB50 posted:

Doesnt look like he braked at all to me.

You're right, it doesn't even look like he did anything at all except fall off :psyduck:

Sluggz
Jun 15, 2002

How to deal with a fire near an oxygen tank. I'd say these guys are very lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG7M1urxjB4

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Sluggz posted:

This one got a spontaneous "JESUS CHRIST!" out of me once the video zoomed out.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Sluggz posted:

i am a dumb poli sci major who knows nothing of your earthly sciences

but when that dude is blowing on that oxygen tank with that fire right there, there is a non-zero chance of it just exploding and blowing him to pieces, right?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Jerome Agricola posted:

This one got a spontaneous "JESUS CHRIST!" out of me once the video zoomed out.

Same, I "Holy gently caress!"'d out loud when he just blew the fire out up close to it, oxygen tank just chilling in the background waiting to help him explore the world of Gus Fring cosplay.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

cams posted:

but when that dude is blowing on that oxygen tank with that fire right there, there is a non-zero chance of it just exploding and blowing him to pieces, right?

Oxygen tanks on fire is indeed a very very bad thing.

Inflammable means flammable whoda guessed?

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

cams posted:

Well yeah technically it *could* explode, but the much more likely option is that the fire will melt the seal and cause the top to come off, which will result in the oxygen blasting out, igniting instantly and delivering very serious burns to this moron.

After that, the oxygen will continue to burn and propel that tank at an extreme speed like an uncontrolled rocket, smashing / maiming anyone and anything in its path.

Thats why, if you go to a doctor / hospital and they have the oxygen tank, it's always chained to a wall or something, just in case this happens.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

oxygen doesn't burn :colbert:

but if that tank had exploded while he was blowing out the flames, he could have ended up with a regulator embedded in his brain.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

axolotl farmer posted:

oxygen doesn't burn :colbert:

I guess you could argue this. The really annoying kid in college chem always loved to make this statement. It is technically true.

At the same time, I invite you to view the video where the oxygen is literally blasting out flames, and also to consider that after the regulator-brain collision, the loving thign will still be rocketing around.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

it would be rocketing around from the pressure of the gas inside the cylinder, not some kind of explosive combustion.

looks like the rocket fuel is spent when they try to blow out the flame, so the combustible material around the oxygen cylinder is...some grass and a rubber hose?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

axolotl farmer posted:

it would be rocketing around from the pressure of the gas inside the cylinder, not some kind of explosive combustion.

looks like the rocket fuel is spent when they try to blow out the flame, so the combustible material around the oxygen cylinder is...some grass and a rubber hose?
Its plastic trim on the regulator. Anything wetted should be incredibly resilient to burning if they have the right regulator so there's nothing super dangerous going on by that point. His balls probably go clang clang because from the foresight of watching a youtube video years removed I'd have rather hit it with an extinguisher or blanket in case there was a small leak but nothing was anywhere near exploding or flying about except the poorly assembled rocket engine which had already flamed out.

e. You could probably chuck that whole oxygen rig in a bonfire and have enough time to get bored before anything outrageous happened.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 31, 2015

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

-Zydeco- posted:

Why doesn't gear like this with physical disconnects have a visual inspection window? Tiny bit of added cost and the possibility of dirt getting into the mechanism?

High voltage disconnect switches that are outdoors - you can see the switch position because they're in the open air. For indoor disconnects, a lot of them have viewing windows that are standard built-in. That's part of the operating protocol - you operate the switch, then you visually confirm that the blades are all either open or closed.

As far as other equipment goes - one reason may be that the viewing window would be a weak point if an arc occurs inside the gear. Plus during operation of older breakers that don't have vacuum or SF6 bottles, you'd have the light from the arc shining out and that could cause vision damage. Also for a breaker like this with vacuum bottles, you cannot peer into the bottle itself and verify the contact status, you can only see where the operator is at (open, closed, or "travel" position).

RandomPauI posted:

In my personal opinion a person should always have copies of their manuals readily accessible whether they're working mass care, feeding, client casework. There's no reason for that not to apply to electricians working with high voltage equipment.

The problem is when you're working on equipment that was installed back in the 60s or 70s, and the manuals are long gone. Also, going online and getting manuals from companies is a crapshoot. Many don't keep manuals from way back, sometimes that data is lost when Company A buys Company B, and some companies just don't want to give people their manuals. Also, a lot of times the manual may treat systems that engineers want to peer into as a black box. Some companies are, in my opinion, extremely protective of their manuals and IP (ABB). Others are really good about it, but you need to register with them first before you download their manual PDFs (SEL). And some will only give you manuals if you pay for them, but that's uncommon.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 31, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Three-Phase posted:

High voltage disconnect switches that are outdoors - you can see the switch position because they're in the open air. For indoor disconnects, a lot of them have viewing windows that are standard built-in. That's part of the operating protocol - you operate the switch, then you visually confirm that the blades are all either open or closed.

As far as other equipment goes - one reason may be that the viewing window would be a weak point if an arc occurs inside the gear. Plus during operation of older breakers that don't have vacuum or SF6 bottles, you'd have the light from the arc shining out and that could cause vision damage. Also for a breaker like this with vacuum bottles, you cannot peer into the bottle itself and verify the contact status, you can only see where the operator is at (open, closed, or "travel" position).

In that video, it said that they switched the gear to open, but by gravity they closed themselves, and even if they'd engaged the second mechanism (?) the switch things still would've dropped and turned everything live.

So how come that happens? Why isn't there some means to open the switches and have them stay the gently caress open instead of becoming live and cooking idiots dumb enough to tear poo poo apart?

(Is it because the thing they were removing was exactly that - the mechanism to keep the whole thing in the desired position?)

Sorry if this all sounds really dumb, i'm a mechanic/van driver and have no idea how this high KV switchgear stuff works.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Mooseykins posted:

In that video, it said that they switched the gear to open, but by gravity they closed themselves, and even if they'd engaged the second mechanism (?) the switch things still would've dropped and turned everything live.

So how come that happens? Why isn't there some means to open the switches and have them stay the gently caress open instead of becoming live and cooking idiots dumb enough to tear poo poo apart?

(Is it because the thing they were removing was exactly that - the mechanism to keep the whole thing in the desired position?)

Sorry if this all sounds really dumb, i'm a mechanic/van driver and have no idea how this high KV switchgear stuff works.

The carriage that operated the vacuum interrupters was always supposed to be connected to the operator. By defeating the interlock and prying it off, there was no longer any mechanical connection so it just slid down due to gravity. When they removed that, all bets were off.

The switch design might have been janky as well. Probably made to be inexpensive and easily installed/removed for this kind of application. If I was designing this, I'd have it built the other way around so that if the linkage was damage, the circuit would open on its own rather than close.

When the guys were designing the switch, they may have done an FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis) that went something like this:

FAULT: Breaker mechanism closes unexpectedly
EFFECT: Unexpected equipment operation, exposure of personnel to high voltage/arc flash
CAUSE: Incorrect operation
CAUSE: Linkage fails to keep carriage in the correct position (moves due to gravity into closed position)
- Operating mechanism damaged
- Operating mechanism vandalized/removed

And the guys probably crossed out the "operating mechanism vandalized/removed" because it was such a remote possibility. Except in this case it wasn't.

From a legal standpoint too, once you've modified equipment, all bets are off.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Three-Phase posted:

The carriage that operated the vacuum interrupters was always supposed to be connected to the operator. By defeating the interlock and prying it off, there was no longer any mechanical connection so it just slid down due to gravity. When they removed that, all bets were off.

The switch design might have been janky as well. Probably made to be inexpensive and easily installed/removed for this kind of application. If I was designing this, I'd have it built the other way around so that if the linkage was damage, the circuit would open on its own rather than close.

Ohh, i see. Didn't realise the thing they were removing was what would prevent that. Thanks for explaining. :)

Three-Phase posted:

When the guys were designing the switch, they may have done an FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis) that went something like this:

FAULT: Breaker mechanism closes unexpectedly
EFFECT: Unexpected equipment operation, exposure of personnel to high voltage/arc flash
CAUSE: Incorrect operation
CAUSE: Linkage fails to keep carriage in the correct position (moves due to gravity into closed position)
- Operating mechanism damaged
- Operating mechanism vandalized/removed

And the guys probably crossed out the "operating mechanism vandalized/removed" because it was such a remote possibility. Except in this case it wasn't.

:v:

Three-Phase posted:

From a legal standpoint too, once you've modified equipment, all bets are off.

I'd love to know the thought process where they went "This thing is really difficult to remove intact. Let's drill and tap some holes and stick some bolts in to stop the springs coming out!" :v:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Mooseykins posted:

I'd love to know the thought process where they went "This thing is really difficult to remove intact. Let's drill and tap some holes and stick some bolts in to stop the springs coming out!" :v:

"poo poo. Bob, if we lose those springs we are so hosed. We'll never get it back together. Get me my drill and some bolts."

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

spotted this one the other day

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

feld posted:

spotted this one the other day

Inaccessible? Kinda tough following up a mega volt arc fire explosion apocolypse

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xavqHI33QE

"Hello Masha! I feel all your thousand roentgens with a familiar chill of mild fear..."

"From the winch to the chimney was around 70 feet. You can approach around 10 meters. No more. OK, a little bit more. OK, stop, you cannot go any further. Here's our cutie. It's overridden a graphite block. It's now sitting on a 12,000 roentgen fragment, like a hen on it's nest."

Fast forward to 2015 - here's a video showing the New Safe Confinement structure being readied.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRdlAzLiPC0

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 31, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Three-Phase posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xavqHI33QE

"Hello Masha! I feel all your thousand roentgens with a familiar chill of mild fear..."

"From the winch to the chimney was around 70 feet. You can approach around 10 meters. No more. OK, a little bit more. OK, stop, you cannot go any further. Here's our cutie. It's overridden a graphite block. It's now sitting on a 12,000 roentgen fragment, like a hen on it's nest."

Fast forward to 2015 - here's a video showing the New Safe Confinement structure being readied.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRdlAzLiPC0

I wanted to visiot Chernobyl and Prypiat last year but the locals decided to have a war so i couldn't go.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Darth123123 posted:

Inaccessible? Kinda tough following up a mega volt arc fire explosion apocolypse

It's really not even inaccessible, given that the rack next to it is on wheels and you can just shove it out of the way if need be.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

If only someone had put a stop sign and flashing lights there to warn people of oncoming trains.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Mooseykins posted:

If only someone had put a stop sign and flashing lights there to warn people of oncoming trains.

Given how slow he was going and the ice on the road, my assumption is "tried to stop, failed".

That double whammy of the second train was unexpected though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

At first I thought he was starting to back up, but it looks like the nose of his truck got clipped --you can *just* see the top of the trailer moving in the direction of train #1. After that, I don't think there was anything that could be done but (hopefully) bail from the cab.

And it's hard to tell, but I like to think he was standing on the brakes approaching the tracks. Was still probably traveling too fast for conditions.

• Locked thread